• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomper

Ooh, exciting. As Valve can't sell stuff with Steam being down, they should probably have a good reason. Let's hope it's a huge sale. :D

Thomper

Spruce Moose said:
It's just past 11:30 am here in the Pacific Time Zone and it's still down.

Maybe the staff is off for the holiday.
There's posts from various Valve-people on their boards saying they're working on it. I don't think they can go until they fix Steam's storefront. :p

Woakes

Thomper said:
There's posts from various Valve-people on their boards saying they're working on it. I don't think they can go until they fix Steam's storefront. :p

Last minute gifts with all the shops shut, they probably stand to lose a fair bit all the while it's down.

Though still no EA games in the UK store , shame I would have bought at least 3 of them today if there had of been.

Doytch

Come ooon Christmas sale! :D

10 bucks is insta-buy for me, I'll get pretty much anything at that price. But Sam & Max, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 are what I'm hoping for me: half off would be epic.

Varna

Hopefully people won't mind me asking a question in this thread.

Anyone else getting a BSOD when accessing the Update news? Every time I load up the page is there is a pretty good chance I will get it. Searched around the steam forums, no one seems to know how to fix it (there are a few threads on it).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Varna said:
Hopefully people won't mind me asking a question in this thread.

Anyone else getting a BSOD when accessing the Update news? Every time I load up the page is there is a pretty good chance I will get it. Searched around the steam forums, no one seems to know how to fix it (there are a few threads on it).

Do you have nay sort of antivirus that runs a scan on webpages you open with internet explorer?

My friend had a similar problem. When you enter a server that has an HTTP MOTD (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead), if you have a antivirus scanning the page (steam technically runs a comy of internet explorer inside their application/games), his game would freeze.

Once he removed the antivirus, he never had a problem again. Maybe you have something similar.

Thomper

Steam seems to be somewhat up - still very slow and not always loading. Anyway, the sale did appear. Every game is at least 10% off, though quite a lot seem to have more. Can't really find the big ones yet though, with everything being slow.

Edit: Ooh, Bejeweled Deluxe is 90% off! 1 dollar right now.

Fio

Thomper said:
Edit: Ooh, Bejeweled Deluxe is 90% off! 1 dollar right now.

Nice. I quite enjoyed the demo but I wouldn't pay more than a couple of bucks for a fucking Bejeweled game. I'll buy it now for sure.
But I'll wait for the Steam Store becomes normal again.

Thomper

Fio said:
Nice. I quite enjoyed the demo but I wouldn't pay more than a couple of bucks for a fucking Bejeweled game. I'll buy now for sure.
But I'll want for the Steam Store becomes normal again.
Yep. Never been that interested in buying Bejeweled for 10 bucks. But $1? Nearly anything is an insta-buy for that price.

I'll probably buy my stuff when Steam is fully working again, which is hopefully soon. Slooooooow servers.

I still cannot get in, but BioShock at $5 would be perfect. I was reinstalling a day or two ago and was reminded how much I've come to love not having to plug in a CD key or hunt for cracks. A extra $5 to not have to worry about that would be well worth it for me.

Volcynika said:
Meridian4 will be slashing all their titles' prices by 50% this holiday season

No, I've never heard of them either.

I don't know many of the games but Space Trader is good fun.

Antagon

Probably going to get bioshock. Not really my kind of game, but 5 Euros is almost nothing. Definitely getting portal as well. Also, has anyone seen the price of episode 2? Can't access the store right now.

Varna

drizzle said:
Do you have nay sort of antivirus that runs a scan on webpages you open with internet explorer?

My friend had a similar problem. When you enter a server that has an HTTP MOTD (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead), if you have a antivirus scanning the page (steam technically runs a comy of internet explorer inside their application/games), his game would freeze.

Once he removed the antivirus, he never had a problem again. Maybe you have something similar.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have no such thing running on my computer though. I don't even touch internet explorer anymore (which there was a way to set steam to firefox for it's internal browser). This doesn't happen in-game either, only when checking the update news.

I can live with it I guess. I just can't check update news.... ever.

rc213

Is there a way to backup a game I have already downloaded so I don't have to re-download it once I re-install Vista?

Wait? It ended?

Wasn't able to buy yesterday evening. And I check now and all prices are normal again.. :(

FUCK YOU VALVE. D: I was going to buy alooot of stuff.

Yeah, it seems VALVe really dropped the ball on this one, I haven't seen them screw up this much since the early steam days. Oh well, here's hoping to a decent sale coming online within the next 48 hours.

Ikopi

Maybe they are busy recalculating all the Euro pricing to make it more competitive? ...

I hope this is just a bad month for Steam, they have been brilliant for the past few years.

Ikopi said:
Maybe they are busy recalculating all the Euro pricing to make it more competitive? ...

I hope this is just a bad month for Steam, they have been brilliant for the past few years.

On the bright side, the impossible happened this month. (EA coming to steam)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn, i'm kinda bummed the sale went up and then they removed it. I know they probably will bring it back, but yeah.. doesn't bode well..

rc213 said:
Is there a way to backup a game I have already downloaded so I don't have to re-download it once I re-install Vista?

The correct thing to do is dump your Steamapps folder onto a USB hard drive. When you get vista up and running, install steam, log in let it update, then copy over the steamapps folder onto the computer and let it overwrite anything already in there. That way all your settings and saves are all still there

epmode

Well, not all of them. Some games like to save your settings in your MyDocuments folder. Or Shared Documents or whatever.

TouchMyBox said:
The correct thing to do is dump your Steamapps folder onto a USB hard drive. When you get vista up and running, install steam, log in let it update, then copy over the steamapps folder onto the computer and let it overwrite anything already in there. That way all your settings and saves are all still there

I've done this before and it's solid advice. That said...

epmode said:
Well, not all of them. Some games like to save your settings in your MyDocuments folder. Or Shared Documents or whatever.

I've also noticed lost saves for certain games, so definitely be careful if you're going to reformat/migrate to a new comp. Solid advice.

Thomper

Mrbob said:
Nothing yet for me either.

If its only 10 percent off for the holiday sale this is a disappointment.
When it was up yesterday 10% off as the minimum. There were lots of other offers, too, with discounts of 25%, 50%, 75%, and even 90% for certain games. Just... don't expect big discounts on the really big games. Left4Dead, Fallout 3, stuff like that was just 10%.

Mrbob

I want CoH gold for $14.99. :p

Oh and World of goo for $14.99 or less would be nice. I've been patiently waiting on that title to drop in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom