• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

enewtabie

I'll probably pick up Bioshock 2 now. I hope DOW2 comes down before the add on comes out in March. Honestly, I should have been doing the PC thing sooner.:D

Blizzard

Banned
I already have the original Bioshock, but $34 for the new one is tempting...but I will amazingly try to resist for once. My reasoning is twofold:

1. I haven't done it TOO many times, but I have a bad habit of buying new games I'm interested in. I may do it with the new Shadow of Chernobyl game. Usually in those cases I end up not playing them at all, or else playing maybe an hour's worth and then not playing ever again. If I wait until I've played more than say, 20 minutes of Bioshock 1 (my current count) then I will probably pay more than $34, but at least I will have finished the first game. Or maybe the preorder sale will motivate me to play Bioshock sooner? I don't know.
2. Last time I got a 4-pack for a new game (Borderlands) I felt kinda burned, even though after editing ini files and stuff the game was playable. This isn't Gearbox, but I think I'm going to be a little more cautious.
*edit* 3 would be SecuROM. :/ Did it get patched out of the first version on Steam? It's also kind of icky that it doesn't list it to the side like normal extra DRM on Steam, but only down at the bottom. 4 would kind of be GFWL, though I haven't really had problems with that interface so far.

Side notes about Steam:
1. Hey, the publisher apparently agreed to include the first game, AND make it giftable if you already have it. Maybe Valve is listening to fans and encouraging publishers to do that.
2. Is there some requirement for Steam store screenshots to be on low/medium settings? The Bioshock 2 screenshots look...pretty ugly in my opinion, I guess. If I didn't know Bioshock 1 looked good and was an impressive game, I probably wouldn't even be interested just looking at the shots.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If someone has a spare copy of Bioshock 1 i wouldn't mind getting one if you know what i mean
and i think you know what i mean, also enjoy some Elbow

itsgreen

312y97p.jpg

Ha! New speed record!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SecuROM and Steam AND GFWL? How many DRM methods do you need? :lol Sorry Bioshock 2, but I'll wait.

Blizzard

Banned
Lyphen said:
SecuROM and Steam AND GFWL? How many DRM methods do you need? :lol Sorry Bioshock 2, but I'll wait.
I was going to say that I didn't think GFWL was DRM, just another client/achievement system with kind of a crappy interface (maybe like Steam originally was)...and then I remembered those people talking about how GFWL games have a hidden key limit. o_O At least with the older games they claimed all the keys were interchangeable or something, and I think you may be able to play Steam Fallout 3 without using a GFWL key at all. I'm not sure though.

IceMarker

Okay since NO ONE replied to my prevoious post about me owning a retail copy of Bioshock with an answer I went ahead a pre-purchased Bioshock 2.

And now I'm stuck with an un-giftable extra copy of Bioshock. Just fucking great. I don't want to give away my hard copy but now I might have to. Goddamnit steam, figure out your damn gifting system.

Volcynika

MrMister said:
Okay since NO ONE replied to my prevoious post about me owning a retail copy of Bioshock with an answer I went ahead a pre-purchased Bioshock 2.

And now I'm stuck with an un-giftable extra copy of Bioshock. Just fucking great. I don't want to give away my hard copy but now I might have to. Goddamnit steam, figure out your damn gifting system.

You had like around half a month to wait on it and get an answer, you didn't need to preorder it today.

Steam does not know you have a retail copy of BioShock. How would it? Their gifting system is fine. You didn't have a copy of BioShock associated with your account, so one of them went to you. The purchaser gets all games they don't have on their account info before anything else. If you had a Steam version of BioShock already, then you could gift it.

EDIT: This post was referencing more the single pack, rather than the 4 pack.

Firestorm

MrMister said:

You really couldn't wait? And why did you buy the single pack instead of the four pack? I bought the four pack and even though I own Bioshock on 360 (none on Steam) it gives 4 to gift out. The single pack adds it to your list unless you own it on Steam already.

IceMarker

No I didn't wait. Didn't want to. I figured I might as well find out now to save other people in my same situation the trouble. I sent in a support ticket to see if they can convert it or at least directly gift my friend.

Besides, their support page for gifts mislead me as it was worded differently than the other gifts where they say you must own a game previously via Steam in which Bioshock 2 they do not.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656
Extra copies are a special promotion for users who:
b. Pre-purchase Bioshock 2 and receive a copy of the original Bioshock
You will receive one copy of Bioshock if you have pre-ordered Bioshock 2. This copy can be applied to your own account or given away to a Steam friend.
Seriously, they say you can let yourself own it or give it to a friend when you pre-order Bioshock 2. Wouldn't make sense if you never played Bioshock in your life via Steam or Retail and for some reason they gave you the option to gift it when they state it in their support page! :lol

I hope my friend gets this game from me. I wanna have that warm fuzzy giving feeling inside me. :D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why not just give him the retail copy? No SecuROM with Steam. And even though retail activation limits were removed, SecuROM is still installed. They just don't limit you when you connect server-side.

IceMarker

Lyphen said:
Why not just give him the retail copy? No SecuROM with Steam. And even though retail activation limits were removed, SecuROM is still installed. They just don't limit you when you connect server-side.
Well, that's what I was trying to avoid. I'm selfish in the fact I like my hard copies better. (But don't get me wrong I will take a Steam sale digital copy any day or for that matter an extra giftable copy for a friend.)
Until the support ticket is replied to though, my only solid line of defense is this line from the support page.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4502-TPJL-2656
Extra copies are a special promotion for users who:
b. Pre-purchase Bioshock 2 and receive a copy of the original Bioshock
You will receive one copy of Bioshock if you have pre-ordered Bioshock 2. This copy can be applied to your own account or given away to a Steam friend.

IMACOMPUTA

Hey everyone. I have a question... (i can't start a thread yet here on neogaf, so I thought this would be a suitable place for this)

I had GTAIV installed. I did alot of model replacing for the cars, and installed some pretty huge texture mods, etc. (this wasn't the steam version)
Then I later installed the Steam version, thinking i would be able to have two seperate installs... one that i would use for messing around in single player, and the steam version for multiplayer, etc.
Well, the Steam version worked, but when i went back to the other install, it has stopped working. I even deleted the steam version, but now its like the GTA launcher thinks the game is installed in a different place, and says it cannot find the installation.. even when i try to launch it from the folder with the non-steam version. I really don't wanna go through the pain of reinstalling/configuring it again.
Anyone know an easy, or easier fix than outright reinstalling it?

Javaman

IMACOMPUTA said:
Hey everyone. I have a question... (i can't start a thread yet here on neogaf, so I thought this would be a suitable place for this)

I had GTAIV installed. I did alot of model replacing for the cars, and installed some pretty huge texture mods, etc. (this wasn't the steam version)
Then I later installed the Steam version, thinking i would be able to have two seperate installs... one that i would use for messing around in single player, and the steam version for multiplayer, etc.
Well, the Steam version worked, but when i went back to the other install, it has stopped working. I even deleted the steam version, but now its like the GTA launcher thinks the game is installed in a different place, and says it cannot find the installation.. even when i try to launch it from the folder with the non-steam version. I really don't wanna go through the pain of reinstalling/configuring it again.
Anyone know an easy, or easier fix than outright reinstalling it?

It's probably something in your registry.

Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX.

What the fucking fuck. Seriously reconsidering even bothering with Bioshock 2.

Do we know if the game is also a Steamworks game (meaning the retail version requires registering a Steam code as if I had bought it on Steam?)

faceless007 said:
What the fucking fuck. Seriously reconsidering even bothering with Bioshock 2.

Do we know if the game is also a Steamworks game (meaning the retail version requires registering a Steam code as if I had bought it on Steam?)

It's not a Steamworks game, so you cannot register it on Steam. It's a Games for Windows Live game though. If it turns out anything like Bioshock did then the game should have SecuROM removed in 6 months.

Anyone doing a 4-pack for Global Agenda? Been reading the SomethingAwful threads about the game and want to play the game now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I came home and picked up Dark Void and the Men of War bundle, but goddamn the servers seem slow today. I am getting like 150 - 300kbs on Dark Void when I usually get anywhere from 2 - 8mbs on Steam downloads. I was really looking forward to playing the game tonight, but it doesn't look like that will be possible.

Zefah said:
I came home and picked up Dark Void and the Men of War bundle, but goddamn the servers seem slow today. I am getting like 150 - 300kbs on Dark Void when I usually get anywhere from 2 - 8mbs on Steam downloads. I was really looking forward to playing the game tonight, but it doesn't look like that will be possible.

Did you try switching Download Regions? The slow servers is probably due to the fact that a lot of people have gotten in on the Bioshock 2 deal and downloading Bioshock right now.

The steam info about GFWL make it sound rather bloated but it usually auto sorts itself out on first boot, and logging in to live is something you only need to do once if you click the option to stay logged in. Might be a minor pain for non live users but I love it as my friends list and all that comes with me to pc games from my 360.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
Did you try switching Download Regions? The slow servers is probably due to the fact that a lot of people have gotten in on the Bioshock 2 deal and downloading Bioshock right now.

I just tried that now and the speed improved somewhat. I switched to Seattle servers and I'm now getting a steady 500kbs. Still very slow.

Himajin

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is men of war worthwhile? I'm tempted to get a 4 pack of Bioshock but I really want the special edition...

The single player in MoW is also lots of fun, if you can ignore the horrendous voice acting and cut scenes that look like they were made in 1995. I love having no base building, having individual inventories for each unit, and the accurate armor model for tanks instead of HP. I prefer the maps where you only control a few units to those where you command a whole battle front, but the AI is good enough to take a lot of the burden off in the latter case.

One example of play that sticks in my memory:
I took out an enemy tank with a grenade, shot the crew members who jumped out after they caught on fire, repaired the tank, jumped in, and then blasted a hole in a nearby building to take out the AT gun holed up around the corner. I then proceeded to go on a rampage through the village, knocking down walls and machine gunning anyone in my path until they finally took out my tracks with an AT grenade. Fun stuff.

1-D_FTW

Diablohead said:
The steam info about GFWL make it sound rather bloated but it usually auto sorts itself out on first boot, and logging in to live is something you only need to do once if you click the option to stay logged in. Might be a minor pain for non live users but I love it as my friends list and all that comes with me to pc games from my 360.

Definitely. I was raging for a little while when I had to jump through all these hoops to get Dirt 2 running. But I guess it's not that bad. And it only has to be done once.

Although the original Live ID I chose got lost in the ether. And then I couldn't think of a second name I liked that wasn't taken. So when LIVE suggested a user name of FormedTrain, I was so blown away by the idiocy of the suggestion, I took it.

MNC

Gexecuter said:
If someone has a spare copy of Bioshock 1 i wouldn't mind getting one if you know what i mean
and i think you know what i mean, also enjoy some Elbow
You are going to be the first on my list when I maybe preorder it right at the last moment :D

Blizzard, I know how you feel. With Mass Effect 2, No More Heroes 2, Bioshock 2, and all these new games, it's hard to keep tabs on what to buy and what not. Financial responsibility can be a bitch like that :p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Diablohead said:
Or a major pain if you don't have control of opening ports on the router. Or a slightly more minor pain if you have multiple LIVE accounts because they won't let you change regions. I've never understood why can't you just run the LIVE client separately from a game - then you could have your friends list in every game you play.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
MNC said:
You are going to be the first on my list when I maybe preorder it right at the last moment :D

Well thank you for that very noncommittal offer that may not happen at all, i appreciate it very much :D

Firestorm

MNC said:
Blizzard, I know how you feel. With Mass Effect 2, No More Heroes 2, Bioshock 2, and all these new games, it's hard to keep tabs on what to buy and what not. Financial responsibility can be a bitch like that :p
Bioshock 2 is the cheapest so grab that =)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I bought a 4-pack and none of it's showing up in my list, other than a single Bioshock 2 preorder.

FML, off to Steam Support I go.

I've tried restarting Steam, and my computer, to no avail.

K.Jack said:
I bought a 4-pack and none of it's showing up in my list, other than a single Bioshock 2 preorder.

Are you 100% sure it says 4-pack in My Account?

And when you say 'show up in my list', you're not referring to your game list are you? You need to open up the Manage Gifts/Extra copies window to see the 3 other copies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
K.Jack said:

Toolbar > Games > Manage gifts & guess passes.

K.Jack

gregor7777 said:

And when you say 'show up in my list', you're not referring to your game list are you? You need to open up the Manage Gifts/Extra copies window to see the 3 other copies.
Dammit now I feel like a total idiot. :lol

FAIL2.png

gregor7777 said:

Question- When you are a recipient of Bioshock 2 from a 4-pack, do you automatically receive the original extra copy or does the person who purchased the pack have to send it? I didn't receive the original.

K.Jack

LovingSteam said:
Question- When you are a recipient of Bioshock 2 from a 4-pack, do you automatically receive the original extra copy or does the person who purchased the pack have to send it? I didn't receive the original.
They have to be sent separately, so request it from them.

I just tried gifting a copy of the original to myself, which didn't work. I don't think they thought this part through to well. How do I claim my copy of Bioshock?

Narag

LovingSteam said:

It is sent seperately.

MNC

Does Bioshock 2 run on the same engine as 1? Or is it slightly updated, or may it even have better performance?:D BS1 only ran average on my average PC which was JUST doable. If it's worse, I'mma have to skip this.

K.Jack

MNC said:
Does Bioshock 2 run on the same engine as 1? Or is it slightly updated, or may it even have better performance?:D BS1 only ran average on my average PC which was JUST doable. If it's worse, I'mma have to skip this.
What's your GPU?

drkOne

MrMister said:
Well, that's what I was trying to avoid. I'm selfish in the fact I like my hard copies better. (But don't get me wrong I will take a Steam sale digital copy any day or for that matter an extra giftable copy for a friend.)
Until the support ticket is replied to though, my only solid line of defense is this line from the support page.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4502-TPJL-2656
"Already own BioShock on Steam? Give your extra copy to a friend!"
That's what I saw right now, on Bioshock 2's store page. Not sure if they changed it there.

MNC

K.Jack said:
What's your GPU?
7600GT

AGP :(

I think it was among the better I could find within my pricerange some years ago.

I mean, I tried my laptop for Bioshock once... It ran like a bitchy 5fps with everything low :lol That things reserved for RTS and source engine :p

1-D_FTW

Blizzard said:
I was going to say that I didn't think GFWL was DRM, just another client/achievement system with kind of a crappy interface (maybe like Steam originally was)...and then I remembered those people talking about how GFWL games have a hidden key limit. o_O At least with the older games they claimed all the keys were interchangeable or something, and I think you may be able to play Steam Fallout 3 without using a GFWL key at all. I'm not sure though.

Missed this earlier. Dirt 2 made you enter a CD key into Live and clearly stated it was a one time use. Doesn't really matter if you're buying on Steam, because you can't sell it anyways.

Ughhhhhhhhhh the worst is when you're browsing the Steam store and you see like, 7 different deals you want in on.

Gonna have to pass on a bunch for a while but the Bioshock one is nice.

K.Jack

MNC said:
7600GT

AGP :(

I think it was among the better I could find within my pricerange some years ago.
can you afford an AGP upgrade? I don't think your going to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom