• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Traveler split the Bioshock 2 4-pack with me, but already owns Bioshock 1. He has chosen to turn over his free copy of Bioshock to a fellow GAF member.

First person to PM me their steam email gets it.

EDIT: eznark was the first to claim the game. Make sure to thank Traveler

Blizzard

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Missed this earlier. Dirt 2 made you enter a CD key into Live and clearly stated it was a one time use. Doesn't really matter if you're buying on Steam, because you can't sell it anyways.
One time use i.e. you couldn't install Dirt 2 Steam version on a different computer? o_O

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
So what did he mean by one-time use? I was just meaning that people were reporting GFWL games supposedly have different, hidden install limits for their keys. I didn't even remember Fallout 3 requiring one but I guess some of these games require it to even save games.

web01

Dirt 2 links to your gamertag, I think you can use it on as many computers as you like but you have to be signed in to GFWL.

please correct me if im wrong.

Volcynika

Daigoro said:
can someone tell me when the mideweek sales usually end?

it says until Thursday, but at what time?

Says through Thursday. Usually they change the price back early Friday before lunch. Don't quote me on that but it does say in the news about it "through" Thursday.

Volcynika said:
Says through Thursday. Usually they change the price back early Friday before lunch. Don't quote me on that but it does say in the news about it "through" Thursday.
Sales usually end around noon (Pacific) on the day they say it ends.

Lyphen said:
SecuROM and Steam AND GFWL? How many DRM methods do you need? :lol Sorry Bioshock 2, but I'll wait.
Blizzard said:
I was going to say that I didn't think GFWL was DRM, just another client/achievement system with kind of a crappy interface (maybe like Steam originally was)...and then I remembered those people talking about how GFWL games have a hidden key limit. o_O At least with the older games they claimed all the keys were interchangeable or something, and I think you may be able to play Steam Fallout 3 without using a GFWL key at all. I'm not sure though.
GFWL integration (which is NOT the same as GFW branding) shouldn't be categorized as DRM itself but it can be a part of DRM.

The basic premise is thus:

Every GFWL game, boxed retail copy or digitally distrubted, comes with a cd-key. This key, when first entered after logging into Live with a GFWL/XBL profile, then binds that game to your profile. This is the part that is unlike most game cd-keys. This means that without a new copy and its new key, the game can only be used with that one GFWL/XBL account.

The only way to avoid this binding is to never log into GFWL which means you can never play online or gain achievements for your account. This is doable with single-player games if you don't care about achievements, but obviously not for multiplayer games. This is why you might as well buy games like Bioshock 2 or SFIV on steam. Basically GFWL has all the drawbacks of steam (no reselling) with none of the benefits (infinite redownloads).

Oh and if you live somewhere that GFWL doesn't support (Greece) you have basically just paid for a game you can never play online ever.

MNC said:
7600GT

AGP :(

I think it was among the better I could find within my pricerange some years ago.

I mean, I tried my laptop for Bioshock once... It ran like a bitchy 5fps with everything low :lol That things reserved for RTS and source engine :p
I played Bioshock on a 7600 GS AGP. Definitely playable, if choppy, with all of the fancy shiny shaders on (ran very well without them, but of course it looks like UT2K4 then). The sequel should be the same.

Firestorm

Every GFWL game, boxed retail copy or digitally distrubted, comes with a cd-key. This key, when first entered after logging into Live with a GFWL/XBL profile, then binds that game to your profile. This is the part that is unlike most game cd-keys. This means that without a new copy and its new key, the game can only be used with that one GFWL/XBL account.
Unless this has changed recently, this is entirely incorrect. They key can be used on as many accounts for as many titles as many times as you want.

Firestorm said:
Unless this has changed recently, this is entirely incorrect. They key can be used on as many accounts for as many titles as many times as you want.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15620644

With Dirt 2 the Key is tied to the original Live ID that you first used the game with and you cannot change this. This is the decision of the game Publisher, not GFWL.

Ah I see, so if it is the publisher's decision, some games must not choose it. My experience is with games that do, such as SFIV.

senahorse

Does anyone from the US want to gift me a copy of AVP? I will buy you a game up to $5.09US (current Men of War cost) for the trouble. The reason I ask is that the asking price is $65US in Australia.

Sanjay

x3n05 said:
Does anyone from the US want to gift me a copy of AVP? I will buy you a game up to $5.09US (current Men of War cost) for the trouble. The reason I ask is that the asking price is $65US in Australia.

This post confuses me, are you sure you have not mixed up the new and old AVP games prices.

Firestorm

Metal Gear?! said:
Ah I see, so if it is the publisher's decision, some games must not choose it. My experience is with games that do, such as SFIV.
SFIV does not do that either from my friends' experiences. Or maybe it's because he was using a different game's key with SFIV.

Ledsen

Sanjay said:
This post confuses me, are you sure you have not mixed up the new and old AVP games prices.

I think he's saying that on top of paying for AvP, he'll gift you a game worth about $5.

edit: Oh, beaten.

Firestorm

So my school library just got Modern Warfare 2.
On PC.
Which is tied to Steam Accounts.

Whoever is in charge of this is really stupid ._.

Firestorm said:
So my school library just got Modern Warfare 2.
On PC.
Which is tied to Steam Accounts.

Whoever is in charge of this is really stupid ._.

What? What type of school do you attend? Also, its possible that they were able to make a deal like the internet cafes have. So it wouldn't be tied to each students account.

Firestorm

LovingSteam said:
What? What type of school do you attend? Also, its possible that they were able to make a deal like the internet cafes have. So it wouldn't be tied to each students account.
It's a university. No, they definitely didn't. For some reason Steam isn't even installed on the computers anymore (they keep ghosting it, I remember having to re-install TF2 on everything again one day).

Firestorm said:
It's a university. No, they definitely didn't. For some reason Steam isn't even installed on the computers anymore (they keep ghosting it, I remember having to re-install TF2 on everything again one day).
I'm just amazed your library has computers w/ Steam, let alone MW2.

senahorse

Does anyone want a free copy of Universe at War, no-one seems to want it :lol

I only ask that whoever wants it, actually trys the game, I don't expect you to keep playing :D

Also I have a copy of HL2 that was never claimed if someone wants that?

Smash88

Banned
x3n05 said:
Does anyone want a free copy of Universe at War, no-one seems to want it :lol

I only ask that whoever wants it, actually trys the game, I don't expect you to keep playing :D

Also I have a copy of HL2 that was never claimed if someone wants that?

I'll take it?

Did you play it? I haven't heard exactly positive reviews from it. But I love RTS's even the broken Empire: Total War.

Firestorm

I have 1 - 3 copies of Lord of the Rings Online (with Mines of Moria and Shadows of Angmar) retail because EA gave it to every person who attended PAX. Sadly they're in larger than normal boxes so it's too pricey to send out. $10 to the US =/ If someone wants to cover shipping, I can see what type of packing it would take and send it to you.

senahorse

My pleasure, hope you get some enjoyment out of it. As I said to you, I won't be offended if you don't like it. It's not a terrible rts, just not a great one :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Firestorm said:
I have 1 - 3 copies of Lord of the Rings Online (with Mines of Moria and Shadows of Angmar) retail because EA gave it to every person who attended PAX. Sadly they're in larger than normal boxes so it's too pricey to send out. $10 to the US =/ If someone wants to cover shipping, I can see what type of packing it would take and send it to you.

You may as well just email the keys. The game client can still be downloaded for free.

Firestorm

Oh I didn't know that. Well, in that case, Lafiel and crimsonheadGCN, if you don't care about it being on Steam, tell me and I'll PM you the CD Keys. It says it's for Mines of Moria but I think it's the full game...

box-art_mines-of-moria-complete-edition-fob.jpg

Gexecuter said:
If someone has a spare copy of Bioshock 1 i wouldn't mind getting one if you know what i mean
and i think you know what i mean, also enjoy some Elbow
Second in line for that, or UAW
say no more, say no more

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Preorder will be coming up soon:

hyphy911 said:
Battlefield going live for preorder soon on STEAM. It's an awesome site where you can buy tons of games! http://store.steampowered.com/

http://twitter.com/hyphy911/status/8037353657

That came from Lincoln Hershberger who works for EA's Marketing and PR department.

Firestorm said:
Oh I didn't know that. Well, in that case, Lafiel and crimsonheadGCN, if you don't care about it being on Steam, tell me and I'll PM you the CD Keys. It says it's for Mines of Moria but I think it's the full game...

http://www.mmocrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/box-art_mines-of-moria-complete-edition-fob.jpg

Sure, I'll take a key. Thanks~

Bebpo

Banned
For these 4-pack deals can the person buying gift a copy to some in another region where the price would be different for them from the store?

So I am just putting it out there, but if BF BC2 has a 4 pack, I would love to be part of one. I can't buy the pack but I will definitely paypal the individual the cash for one of the games :)

web01 said:
Dirt 2 links to your gamertag, I think you can use it on as many computers as you like but you have to be signed in to GFWL.

please correct me if im wrong.

The form of DRM GFWL used in my copy of Fallout 3 was a 1 install per day limit. I did actually exceed this hilariously enough (damn buggy game), though I suppose that's not too insane.

Javaman

Metal Gear?! said:
The only way to avoid this binding is to never log into GFWL which means you can never play online or gain achievements for your account. This is doable with single-player games if you don't care about achievements, but obviously not for multiplayer games. This is why you might as well buy games like Bioshock 2 or SFIV on steam. Basically GFWL has all the drawbacks of steam (no reselling) with none of the benefits (infinite redownloads).[/url]

Several games won't let you save the game in single player without logging into GFWL, Batman AA and Red Faction Guerrilla I believe are two of them.

Is there a way to change the menu resolution on AVP2k through an .ini file or something? The menu is at a super high resolution and I can see pretty much no text.

The Weekend Deal has been posted:

Weekend Deal: Company of Heroes Franchise 75% Off
January 21, 2010, 1:33 pm - Valve - General Announcement

The entire Company of Heroes franchise is available for 75% off until Monday!

Delivering a visceral WWII gaming experience, Company of Heroes redefines real time strategy gaming by bringing the sacrifice of heroic soldiers, war-ravaged environments, and dynamic battlefields to life. Beginning with the D-Day Invasion of Normandy, players lead squads of Allied soldiers into battle against the German war machine through some of the most pivotal battles of WWII.

Doytch

VISCERAL!

I'd pick up ToV if there weren't three games coming out in the span of a month that I want to play. Still, anyone who doesn't have either CoH or OF should jump on this for $5.

TouchMyBox said:
The form of DRM GFWL used in my copy of Fallout 3 was a 1 install per day limit. I did actually exceed this hilariously enough (damn buggy game), though I suppose that's not too insane.
All of the older games have installs like Fallout 3 where as any game released since last summer will probably ask you to enter the cd key to your gamer tag, the older method has some real serious exploits though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom