• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Limited Edition is the only version available because it's only available through pre-orders. After the game is released, you can't buy it anymore.

Also, the Borderlands 4-pack took a couple days to show up. I'll wait until the 26th to make the purchase.

From a poster at SomethingAwful forums, this popped up on the Steam registry blob:

35080 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 1
35081 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 2
35082 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 3
35083 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 4
35084 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 5
35085 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 6
35086 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 7
35087 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 8
35088 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 9
35089 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 10
35090 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 11
35091 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 12
35092 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 13
35093 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 14
35094 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 15
35095 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 16
35096 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 17
35097 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 18
35098 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 19
35099 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 20
35100 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 21
35101 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 22
35102 0 Just Cause 2 - DLC 23

ymgve's post

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I just signed up for Steam like 30 minutes ago. I wanted to get Deus Ex on my PC and I figured this would be a good way to do it. My PC sucks, though, it can run games like DX, Morrowind and Torchlight but nothing new.
So...any recommendations for older but great PC games available on Steam? I'm hoping to find some good sim/RPG/adventure games, Prison Tycoon looks pretty cool.

Sloegr

Snuggler said:
So I just signed up for Steam like 30 minutes ago. I wanted to get Deus Ex on my PC and I figured this would be a good way to do it. My PC sucks, though, it can run games like DX, Morrowind and Torchlight but nothing new.
So...any recommendations for older but great PC games available on Steam? I'm hoping to find some good sim games, Prison Tycoon looks pretty cool.

There's a lot of good stuff that I'd recommend: Aquaria, X-Com, Fallout 1 and 2, Plants Vs. Zombies, Defense Grid, and the Oddworld Pack come to mind.

Also give a look to GOG.com if you haven't already.

Smash88

Banned
Lyphen said:
I guess Just Cause 2 will be getting new downloadable trains.

:lol

That is ridiculous though. All those train DLC's are about $300. I don't care how much you love train simulators, but you need to admit that that is just milking the consumer.

Snuggler said:
So...any recommendations for older but great PC games available on Steam? I'm hoping to find some good sim/RPG/adventure games, Prison Tycoon looks pretty cool.

Another old school game you should try is Aliens vs Predators Classic 2000, which just came out. It's $4.99, and they will be patching multiplayer in at a later date.

Boonoo

Snuggler said:

You didn't ask for FPS games, but the first two things I bought on steam were the HL1 anthology and Deus Ex, so I wanted to suggest HL1--it's fun!

Javaman

Smash88 said:
:lol

That is ridiculous though. All those train DLC's are about $300. I don't care how much you love train simulators, but you need to admit that that is just milking the consumer.

Another old school game you should try is Aliens vs Predators Classic 2000, which just came out. It's $4.99, and they will be patching multiplayer in at a later date.

It's over $400 now. Choooo Chooooooooo

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks for the rec's.
I can't believe I haven't checked out Steam until now, I guess I don't game much on my PC since it's outdated and I have two consoles, but there is a lot of classic stuff on here that I haven't played yet. As I mentioned earlier I'm mostly interested in finding adventure and sim games since they're the genres I don't get to play as a console gamer.

You didn't ask for FPS games, but the first two things I bought on steam were the HL1 anthology and Deus Ex, so I wanted to suggest HL1--it's fun!

I'll definitely d/l Half Life 1. I haven't played it in several years and when I did it was the PS2 version.

Feorax

Snuggler said:
Thanks for the rec's.
I can't believe I haven't checked out Steam until now, I guess I don't game much on my PC since it's outdated and I have two consoles, but there is a lot of classic stuff on here that I haven't played yet. As I mentioned earlier I'm mostly interested in finding adventure and sim games since they're the genres I don't get to play as a console gamer.

I'll definitely d/l Half Life 1. I haven't played it in several years and when I did it was the PS2 version.

Steam is great for those, especially with their Lucasarts titles, but for what you're after, i would certainly look at GOG.com as well.

DietSnapple

Neo Member
Railworks is closing in on $500 if you include the game itself and the expansions:

lvzH2.png

=

c3PPu.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Steam is great for those, especially with their Lucasarts titles....

I've been trying to track down some of these. I was hoping to find Full Throttle or Grim Fandango, but no luck. I can't find any of them on legal PC d/l sites. All I can find is the Monkey Island remake, but I already have that on 360.

Railworks is closing in on $500 if you include the game itself and the expansions:

$500? Holy shit, does it come with a real train?

vid

DietSnapple said:
Railworks is closing in on $500 if you include the game itself and the expansions

The more expensive it becomes, the more morbidly curious I am. How much actual gameplay exists in railworks, and... does anyone own ALL of it?

Boonoo

vid said:
The more expensive it becomes, the more morbidly curious I am. How much actual gameplay exists in railworks, and... does anyone own ALL of it?

I imagine if you own it at all there's a good chance you own a big chunk of the DLC. Who is buying train games other than people obsessed with trains.

Bought Company Of Hereos and Opposing Fronts for $7. HOLY EFFEING SHEEETTT.

I haven't played an RTS since Rise Of Nations and Age Of Empires and god damn this is amazing, I have only gotten through the tutorial.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I know I'm way LTTP here, but I just played the Machinarium demo and holy shit it's awesome, I already love the artstyle and music. How did I miss out on this...

Purchased, couldn't resist. Fuckin downloadable games are gonna bankrupt me...

Gah, one more question: CanYouRunIt.com is telling me that my shitty comp is capable of playing Team Fortress 2. I played the 360 version and loved it, I can only imagine how awesome it would be on PC but it the website must be basing the evaluation on Half Life 2 or something because I didn't think mine can run it. Is it possible to run TF2 on low settings on a shitty comp?

Snuggler said:
I know I'm way LTTP here, but I just played the Machinarium demo and holy shit it's awesome, I already love the artstyle and music. How did I miss out on this...

Purchased, couldn't resist. Fuckin downloadable games are gonna bankrupt me...

Gah, one more question: CanYouRunIt.com is telling me that my shitty comp is capable of playing Team Fortress 2. I played the 360 version and loved it, I can only imagine how awesome it would be on PC but it the website must be basing the evaluation on Half Life 2 or something because I didn't think mine can run it. Is it possible to run TF2 on low settings on a shitty comp?

Nobody can tell you unless you list your specs.

As for the original Half Life, this is the pack you want:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/40/

If you do decide to pick up TF2 be sure to get one of the packages (probably the Orange Box) rather than the standalone game, they're a much better deal.

Fio

I'm trying to download Bioshock but every time I pause/resume the download it resets to 0%. Does anyone know how to fix it? There's no way I can download 8GB at once.

Thanks.

Fio said:
I'm trying to download Bioshock but every time I pause/resume the download it resets to 0%. Does anyone know how to fix it? There's no way I can download 8GB at once.

Thanks.

Steam sometimes will just reset the percentage of what's remaining to be downloaded, but the download is still continuing from where you last left off.

Oh s! Bought the 4-pack Bioshock 2 and I only got 2 licenses from the original Bioshock (the 4 Bioshock 2 games are ok). Support, here I go...

Edited: Wow! That was fast. Now it is correct. Super-support from Steam.

coopolon

Snuggler said:

On the RPG front, might want to check out Knights of the old republic and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Both are a bit older, and I think if you can run Morrowind reasonably well you'll at least be able to run both, but definitely check min requirements first.

Ydahs

Is Company of Heroes worth the four dollars for someone who neither likes or dislikes the RTS genre? Is it complex (needs RTS experience) or newbie friendly?

Volcynika

Ydahs said:
Is Company of Heroes worth the four dollars for someone who neither likes or dislikes the RTS genre? Is it complex (needs RTS experience) or newbie friendly?

There's a demo. You should download it.

Ydahs said:
Online can be a pain if you are new to RTS, I was when I played it and I got rocked every match.

Rlan

It's weird - i have far less problems running Left 4 Dead 1 than i do TF2. is it just the Amount of extra content being loaded or just the "old" engine?

Lyphen said:
L4D has dual core support, TF2 doesn't (well, sort of, but not 100%).

What? Team Fortress two will stress out two CPU cores just fine, it just doesn't know how to offload work to quads and higher properly, cores 1 and 2 do all the heavy lifting while the others pick up the scraps off the floor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lyphen said:
L4D has dual core support, TF2 doesn't (well, sort of, but not 100%).

That's strange. I upgraded a friend's computer a little over a year ago from a single-core processor at 3.0 ghz to a dual core at 2.8ghz (he was using a LGA775 motherboard) and we saw large gains in performance on TF2. Maybe the original single-core processor was just dying or something.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TouchMyBox said:
What? Team Fortress two will stress out two CPU cores just fine, it just doesn't know how to offload work to quads and higher properly, cores 1 and 2 do all the heavy lifting while the others pick up the scraps off the floor.
Proper multi-core vs. TF2 multi-core.
l4d2co.jpg

tf2co.jpg

Ydahs

Volcynika said:
There's a demo. You should download it.
Wish I could but can't now... my crappy Aussie internet is going to cap real soon so I kinda have to make the choice by tomorrow but download it next month.

Like it or not, guess the four bucks won't hurt much.

Arnie

If I have the retail version of CoH installed, can I buy Opposing Fronts off Stem and have them both work together? Will I be able to load up OF and access my CoH content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom