• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
borsdy said:
Wait so you are saying that they are also unlockables you can get from playing the game normally? Wonderful.

Yes, that's what I meant.

gregor7777 said:
Question about recommended system requirements these days:

Do you think developers are actually targeting 4 core CPUs these days? I wonder if they put Quads in the recommended system list just because they tend to be the high end systems, or because the devs are actually utilizing the 4 cores?

I know some games are utilizing 3 cores, likely because of their console (360) roots.

Not all developers yet, but some seem to be. DICE has said that Frostbite 2.0 (Battlefield 3) will be highly multi-threaded and should perform the best on CPUs with more than 2 cores.

1-D_FTW

eznark said:
So does Bad Company 2 going up for pre-order without a 4-pack mean that is no longer a possibility?

I know some people are optimistic, but the fact EA wouldn't even give the 10 percent pre-order bonus makes me think EA doesn't think the 49.99 price is going to alter sales. I have zero faith the 4-pack is going to happen. There's no harm in waiting though.

borsdy said:
Wait so you are saying that they are also unlockables you can get from playing the game normally? Wonderful.

Unfortunately, it's a Call of Duty world. People like them their gerbil pellets for doing good.

gregor7777 said:

Do you think developers are actually targeting 4 core CPUs these days? I wonder if they put Quads in the recommended system list just because they tend to be the high end systems, or because the devs are actually utilizing the 4 cores?

I know some games are utilizing 3 cores, likely because of their console (360) roots.

The majority of high end PC games released in 2009 made use of 3 or more threads, the number will only grow from here on out. L4D2, GTA4, ARMA2, Shattered Horizon, Saints Row 2, Dragon Age, Fuel, Dirt 2 and Ghostbusters all spread the load out pretty evenly accross 4 CPUs judging from some of the tests I've done/benchmarks I've seen since upgrading to a quad.

MNC

gregor7777 said:

I hope so. This means my future (currently my dad's PC) doesn't have a core 2 quad in vain :D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Arnie said:
Just got Steam this weekend. Anyone want to gift me TF2?:D

Kidding
Shoulda downloaded that free program thar over the holidays and bought the whole Orange Box for 15$!

graywolf323

Arnie said:
Just got Steam this weekend. Anyone want to gift me TF2?:D

Kidding

I can gift it to you for cheap at least, I have a spare gift copy leftover from one of the sales

PM me if your interested

Ysiadmihi

Banned
If I buy OF and Tales of Valor on Steam, can I add it to my retail copy of CoH? I don't want to deal with Steam's patching for CoH.

Firestorm

eznark said:
So does Bad Company 2 going up for pre-order without a 4-pack mean that is no longer a possibility?
Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, and I think Shattered Horizon originally went up without 4-packs.
Left 4 Dead 2 and Bioshock 2 went up with 4-packs from day 1.

Lothars

Ysiadmihi said:
If I buy OF and Tales of Valor on Steam, can I add it to my retail copy of CoH? I don't want to deal with Steam's patching for CoH.

Yes, all you have to do is go to cd key screen and enter your COH key because that's how I do it as well, it might have saved your key on relic online as well for you don't have to reenter it when you login.

I am tempted to buy COH just to have on steam though but I am not sure if I can justify it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I figured it out. Just started the download and went to "View cd-key", launched retail CoH and added the keys for OF and ToV, works perfectly :D I don't know if it will work through Steam now or not but it's not like that matters.

Help me out GAF. I'm getting ready to run dban and format my HDD so I'm going to have to reclaim some authentications for some games.

Crysis
Ghostbusters
GTA 4
Mass Effect

Which of these games have install limits and where do i get the tools to reclaim an install. Also is it true that the tool to reclaim installs doesn't work with Crysis? It would really suck if that's true.

Blizzard

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
Help me out GAF. I'm getting ready to run dban and format my HDD so I'm going to have to reclaim some authentications for some games.

Crysis
Ghostbusters
GTA 4
Mass Effect

Which of these games have install limits and where do i get the tools to reclaim an install. Also is it true that the tool to reclaim installs doesn't work with Crysis? It would really suck if that's true.
As far as I know, yes, the EA reclaim tool only works with Crysis Warhead. Hopefully you haven't installed Crysis much before. :p

So there is no way to reclaim an install of Crysis? Not even a number to call? Valve isn't trying to fix the issue at all? The tool works for the disc based versions.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wow, Defense Grid is damn fun. Bought it for 2.49 during the sale, but never bothered installing it until now. Screw Dragon Age, it's Tower Defense time! :lol

legend166

Blizzard said:
As far as I know, yes, the EA reclaim tool only works with Crysis Warhead. Hopefully you haven't installed Crysis much before. :p

Dammit.

I shouldn't have chosen to delete Crysis to free up some HDD space ._.

Honestly, if I run out of installs I'll just, uh, resort to something else. I've bought the damn game.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
For OG Crysis, you will have to contact EA support directly to reset your installation counter.

Edit: They'll ask for the CD key, which you can view via Steam, then they'll reset the thing.

Forgive me but what do you mean by OG Crysis? And do you know where I could find the support number. Obviously I can find it myself, I was just wondering if you knew it offhand.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I <3 Memes said:
Forgive me but what do you mean by OG Crysis? And do you know where I could find the support number. Obviously I can find it myself, I was just wondering if you knew it offhand.
Steam should give you a support link. The support channels differ by country (as does pretty much everything at EA).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Javaman said:
With these craptastic security measures, can you reinstall as many times as you want on the same computer?
Yes. The DRM thing hashes your hardware. It's per machine. So if you swap out your gfx card and reinstall, that counts. If you don't swap anything out, you should be able to uninstall and reinstall as much as you want.

Which is basically the same deal as it is with WinXP, really.

Well the only hardware that I will be changing will be adding a HDD and a dvd drive. Then a fresh format of the old HDD. Maybe I wont lose an activation?

I asked in the ME2 thread but maybe this thread would be more appropriate. If I pre-download ME2 via Steam will the content become available to play right around 12:01 Tuesday morning or is it later in the day?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Captain Blood said:
I asked in the ME2 thread but maybe this thread would be more appropriate. If I pre-download ME2 via Steam will the content become available to play right around 12:01 Tuesday morning or is it later in the day?

Theoretically it's noon, but Valve are rarely punctual.

Volcynika

Sinatar said:
Theoretically it's noon, but Valve are rarely punctual.

Valve has always been on time!

(Not really)

Anyways, if they put out an unlock time, it'll be in Pacific Standard Time, for those that are unsure of at least what timezone to remember.

Unless they unlock it when EST gets to that time.

(This post is useless and not helpful, I'm sorry)

brain_stew said:
The majority of high end PC games released in 2009 made use of 3 or more threads, the number will only grow from here on out. L4D2, GTA4, ARMA2, Shattered Horizon, Saints Row 2, Dragon Age, Fuel, Dirt 2 and Ghostbusters all spread the load out pretty evenly accross 4 CPUs judging from some of the tests I've done/benchmarks I've seen since upgrading to a quad.

Outstanding. I just got a Quad core myself!

Just wanted to throw out there that this thread plus the PC Build thread has gotten me into PC gaming and I'm loving it to the point of borderline kicking myself for not hopping on the bandwagon sooner.

Picked up a ton of games during the Holiday Sale on the cheap and have a solid backlog that should last me forever.

STEAM ID: SirGarbageman if anyone ever wants to hit me up for a game. I've primarily played Dawn of War 2 and Team Fortress 2 (both very poorly) with regards to multiplayer.

jt1e0n.jpg

amrod

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter is now offering a four-pack so if you've been itching to play with your friends this is the best way to do it as you can gift out your extra copies to your buddies!

Buy Serious Sam HD: First Encounter Four Pack
Includes four copies of Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter - Send the extra copies to your friends

$60usd ... so save $5 a copy on a 4 pack

Rockman-X

Neo Member
Seems like it's the perfect oportunity for me, as I've never played Psychonauts yet, despite hearing a lot of good things about it (huge backlog to clear).
Bought.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Baloonatic said:
Midweek Madness is Psychonauts at £1.
That really is madness.

I seen it on my Steam store and bought it before I could think about what I was doing. £1 is...well nothing really.

Rufus

Huh, sure, why not. I only played the PS2 version. The black velvet world will look so much better on the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom