• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
All of the CoH games are tied to your account, so you could own them all on different services and have access to all 3 games no matter where you bought a copy. Basically if you buy CoH on Steam and an expanion retail, you have access to the original and the expansion on Steam.

Arnie

Ikuu said:
All of the CoH games are tied to your account, so you could own them all on different services and have access to all 3 games no matter where you bought a copy. Basically if you buy CoH on Steam and an expanion retail, you have access to the original and the expansion on Steam.
Awesome thanks. I'm going to buy the expansions on Steam now.

Valve is doing a relatively quick beta for a Steam patch. This patch will resolve any issues for preloading Mass Effect 2 and, from the sound of it, it could possibly be released today along with the preload for Mass Effect 2:

jasonr said:
This will hopefully be a quick beta. Unless any new bugs turn up, we'll release the new client and then turn on preloading for Mass Effect 2 to North America users. Users elsewhere will get to preload 48-hours before the official release of the game.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1119629

Snuggler said:
So I just signed up for Steam like 30 minutes ago. I wanted to get Deus Ex on my PC and I figured this would be a good way to do it. My PC sucks, though, it can run games like DX, Morrowind and Torchlight but nothing new.
So...any recommendations for older but great PC games available on Steam? I'm hoping to find some good sim/RPG/adventure games, Prison Tycoon looks pretty cool.
1) Watch for Steam sales. They are awesome.
2) Consider Indie and casual games . . . they generally don't tax the PC resources much. I loved Osmos. Popcap makes many great little games . . . I'm very happy I picked up their 'complete' pack for $50 when it was on sale . . . though I don't think I'd say that $100 is worth it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Desaparecido said:
I looked up some gameplay videos of RailWorks just to see what it was, and I mean... like... I guess... if you're really into trains...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yN_Leia8po
No shit. It's not the first trainsim ever, you know.. Has a rather specific audience.

An audience that puts a lot of money out for train-related .. stuff.

I'm happy I got this monkey off my back when I bought my last expansion for Train Simulator some years ago.

It was a good expansion. Worth my money.

IT WAS NOT A HABIT

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES.
me2load.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Desaparecido said:
Okay, but the first that has that much paid DLC.
Sure, by definition, that is the case. Look at the amount of expansions (and ridiculous gear and experience-enhancing software) you can get for MSFS or MSTS though.

What I mean is that the only real difference is that you can obtain that stuff online and then download it.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
For the Digital Deluxe Edition-
Original Soundtrack - The Mass Effect 2 original soundtrack features 12 pieces spanning the entire Mass Effect 2 experience.

I have the original Mass Effect soundtrack and there are ~37 tracks. What a ripoff.

I'd like to see Steam update some of the 'complete' and 'collection' packs.

Why didn't my PopCap 'complete' pack come with bookworm adventures 2 or Zuma's Revenge?

And why doesn't doesn't the Rockstar collection come with Bully?

speculawyer said:
I'd like to see Steam update some of the 'complete' and 'collection' packs.

Why didn't my PopCap 'complete' pack come with bookworm adventures 2 or Zuma's Revenge?

And why doesn't doesn't the Rockstar collection come with Bully?
Bully isn't on steam is it?

And yeah, I was annoyed to see that Popcap's complete collection isn't actually complete. If you got it during the sale, it's still great value.

Wickerbasket said:
Bully isn't on steam is it?

And yeah, I was annoyed to see that Popcap's complete collection isn't actually complete. If you got it during the sale, it's still great value.

Bully:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/12200/
I would have picked up the Rockstar collection during the sale if it had Bully. But I already have all the GTAs.

And yeah, the PopCap pack was definitely still worth the money at $50 . . . but they could at least call it 'pack' instead of 'complete' since it is not complete.

The Valve pack is complete . . . they did add Left4Dead 2 to the pack pretty soon after its release thus making the deal very good.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mass Effect 2 won't pre-load here. Doesn't give me a prompt saying how much space it'll take. When I click next, it goes up to downloading and then comes back down to not installed right away.

Rufus

For those of you trying to pre-load Mass Effect 2: There's been an update to the client that supposedly fixes that, so try updating if you haven't.

epmode

TheExodu5 said:
Mass Effect 2 won't pre-load here. Doesn't give me a prompt saying how much space it'll take. When I click next, it goes up to downloading and then comes back down to not installed right away.
A Steam client update was just released to fix Mass Effect preload issues.

edit: Late :(

careksims

YES! Pre-loading now ME2 now! WHEEEEEEEEEE- wah?

NM... having that problem too where clicking on it doesn't make it install and I already updated my Steam. :(

Edit again: Yeah had to update. I'm a idiot.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mass Effect 2 still won't pre-load for me. Even weirder, it's just listed as Not Installed, not Ready for Pre-Load (or whatever message they give you for preload).

OmegaDragon said:
I think they did something wrong with the pricing of the CoH packs, but I don't mind (Got CoH: Gold) :D

Actually the error seems to be in the CoH:OF price, not in the Gold package. And only in mainland Europe. The other prices are in line with other Steam regions.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
TheExodu5 said:
Mass Effect 2 still won't pre-load for me. Even weirder, it's just listed as Not Installed, not Ready for Pre-Load (or whatever message they give you for preload).
Click File -> check for Steam client updates.

Lothars

speculawyer said:
Not very limited then, is it.

And a DD limited edition seems absurd as is.

Nope but once the game is released than it won't have the limited edition bonuses, it's basically a preorder edition.

JDS 1977

Banned
Ikuu said:

I just popped in here and that answered my question. I have CoH retail but was thinking of buying the expansion on steam.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Just stopping by to say I pre-ordered Bad Company 2 and am happy and all that stuff.

borsdy

Banned
Are these limited edition unlocks going to be handed out later in news letters website promotions and such because some of these features are priddy significant, like freakin' tank alt-fire!

borsdy said:
Are these limited edition unlocks going to be handed out later in news letters website promotions and such because some of these features are priddy significant, like freakin' tank alt-fire!

The unlocks in the Limited Edition is available to everyone. Those who buy the game after it is released will have to rank up and obtain those unlocks, while those who preorder the game will have it from the moment they are start playing it and won't have to rank up for it.

eznark said:
So does Bad Company 2 going up for pre-order without a 4-pack mean that is no longer a possibility?

No, it does not mean that a 4 pack is not possible anymore. The Executive Producer of DICE has said that he is still working on getting the option to become available asap.

eznark said:
So does Bad Company 2 going up for pre-order without a 4-pack mean that is no longer a possibility?
A developer from DICE said they are working on it but can't promise anything. Just wait until next week to see if anything pops up.

Question about recommended system requirements these days:

Do you think developers are actually targeting 4 core CPUs these days? I wonder if they put Quads in the recommended system list just because they tend to be the high end systems, or because the devs are actually utilizing the 4 cores?

I know some games are utilizing 3 cores, likely because of their console (360) roots.

borsdy

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
The unlocks in the Limited Edition is available to everyone. Those who buy the game after it is released will have to rank up and obtain those unlocks, while those who preorder the game will have it from the moment they are start playing it and won't have to rank up for it.
Wait so you are saying that they are also unlockables you can get from playing the game normally? Wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom