• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reginald P. Linux said:
jt1e0n.jpg
:lol pic is a bit overkill but I use to love his jelly legs in a double jump, seems too "normal" now.

Spwn said:
Is Psychonauts worth getting if I'm planning to play it with a keyboard?
It is worth getting even if you don't play it. That is how much it is worth it. You'll always have that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you have psychonauts.

I created a thread for it. It deserved it.

Doytch

I played it through with a kb/mouse. Perfectly fine, and I never had any issues on the last level like a lot of people seemed to have, so it might be even better.

-Rogue5-

Anyone know if a boxed copy of Mass Effect can be certified through Steam (ergo, I'll be able to dowload it from now on, rather than insert the disc to install)?

And, yeah, I just bought Psychonauts -- I have it for PS2, Xbox and now PC... hopefully I'll be able to finish it on PC.

Javaman

-Rogue5- said:
Anyone know if a boxed copy of Mass Effect can be certified through Steam (ergo, I'll be able to dowload it from now on, rather than insert the disc to install)?

And, yeah, I just bought Psychonauts -- I have it for PS2, Xbox and now PC... hopefully I'll be able to finish it on PC.

Nope, sorry. Only a handful of games will allow you to do that, mostly valve games. There's a list you can find on their support pages.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is anyone having issues logging on Steam? I deleted the .blob files and that hasn't done anything to help it. It just sits there saying it's connecting my steam account.

Edit: NM, just letting it sit for 5 minutes did the trick

Stallion Free said:
Is anyone having issues logging on Steam? I deleted the .blob files and that hasn't done anything to help it. It just sits there saying it's connecting my steam account.
Hopefully it is overloaded by people buying Psychonauts. :D

-Rogue5- said:

Heh, I just installed ME with my game disc. Only took about 10 minutes. Thank goodness it doesn't require the CD to run.

MoFuzz

Chiaroscuro said:
I have Psychonauts for the original Xbox. Is there anything significant that makes worth double dip in the PC version?
At the very least, I would assume the usual higher resolution options and 60+ fps?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
only three more hours til we get to play what the plebes have been playing for the past 15 (even the ones who get it legitimately)!

adg1034

Firestorm said:
Psychonauts is #3 on the Top sellers list. Outselling ME Digital Deluxe and Modern Warfare 2 by over 30:1 =P

I've been seeing these ratio figures mentioned since the Holiday Sale. From whence do they come?

Firestorm

adg1034 said:
I've been seeing these ratio figures mentioned since the Holiday Sale. From whence do they come?
It ranks games by revenue.

$2 for Psychonauts
$60 for Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition

Therefore, to be higher ranked than those games, it needs to sell 30 copies for every 1 copy that they sell.

Fox318

rohlfinator said:
Does Psychonauts play well with the 360 gamepad?

Buying it anyway -- I've been eying it on Steam forever, and $2 is a steal.
I would also like to know this.

Just picked it up as well. I was gonna buy a new hard drive for my 360 just to play this game. :lol

Anksta

Firestorm said:
Psychonauts is #3 on the Top sellers list. Outselling ME Digital Deluxe and Modern Warfare 2 by over 30:1 =P

Where do you find out the numbers of units sold? Or even the ratio? Or is this a guesstimate?

EDIT: Oops answered already. Ranked by revenue?!?! Thats strange....

Firestorm said:
It ranks games by revenue.

$2 for Psychonauts
$60 for Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition

Therefore, to be higher ranked than those games, it needs to sell 30 copies for every 1 copy that they sell.

I think they only do the revenue rankings in the weekly sales chart they release on Sunday. The regular top seller list is still volume based.

John said:
To use a 360 gamepad on PC games, do you need one specially marked "for Windows," or does any controller do?

They're all just the same. A wired controller will work plug and play, and for a wireless controller you need the wireless receiver dongle. The "PC version of the wireless controller should be sold in a pack with the dongle these days, when I picked up mine it was less than a regular 360 controller even though it included the dongle! :lol

Psychonauts works fine on it, you might want to rempa the buttons first though. Most modern games are true plug and play, icons and all.

Firestorm

Hasphat6462 said:
I think they only do the revenue rankings in the weekly sales chart they release on Sunday. The regular top seller list is still volume based.
Oh really? I didn't know that. Would be nice to see some confirmation. Where are the weekly sales charts?

John said:
To use a 360 gamepad on PC games, do you need one specially marked "for Windows," or does any controller do?
Any wired one will work. The only difference is the "for Windows" one comes with a driver CD, but you can download the drivers for free.

Firestorm said:
Oh really? I didn't know that. Would be nice to see some confirmation. Where are the weekly sales charts?
http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

MNC

WIN NOW
First person to post a comment on my steam page gets a copy of Psychonauts, 2 euro's. Profile set to open; First person to post "Psychonauts for me!" on my Steam profile page gets it Try to find me.

PSYCHO SULK!

Hasphat6462 said:

Nope, both the daily top seller list and the weekly top seller list are done by revenue:

alden said:
For those still curious about how the top sellers list works:
It is automatically generated based on revenue of game sales on Steam during the previous day. Retail activations have no effect.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10228955&postcount=20

vocab

Can someone tell me what the Relic downloader does in Company of Heroes? I guess it's a patcher, but it just sits on the taskbar and does nothing. I thought the steam version was fully updated.

vocab said:
Can someone tell me what the Relic downloader does in Company of Heroes? I guess it's a patcher, but it just sits on the taskbar and does nothing. I thought the steam version was fully updated.
I'm pretty sure it does nothing.

Anksta

vocab said:

I believe that its a Bit Torrent application that uploads COH patches to other players that are trying to download them. COH will also try to use the application to download patches for you too.

The functionality is unnecessary for the Steam release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, this is getting annoying. I've been trying for the past few hours or so to install AvP Classic, but the process always ends during "Creating local game cache files...", with Steam spitting out the error message "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." Now, I know this isn't the case because I was able to begin downloading all of my other uninstalled games.

Any ideas?

Javaman

JaseC said:
Okay, this is getting annoying. I've been trying for the past few hours or so to install AvP Classic, but the process always ends during "Creating local game cache files...", with Steam spitting out the error message "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." Now, I know this isn't the case because I was able to begin downloading all of my other uninstalled games.

Any ideas?

Try switching download servers. This is probably due to Mass Effect's release. Also, I think there's a main DNS server down somewhere. I can't resolve yahoo.com's address for some reason tonight.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Javaman said:
Try switching download servers. This is probably due to Mass Effect's release. Also, I think there's a main DNS server down somewhere. I can't resolve yahoo.com's address for some reason tonight.
Well, I can!

The root nameservers are fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Javaman said:

But that's just the thing - I had about 20 or so games listed as "not installed" and they all began downloading fine. I of course kept trying AvPC every now and again as I made my way through the list, but obviously I had no success. There doesn't appear to be a server overload, but rather an issue with this one title.

I'll give your suggestion a shot, nonetheless.

Edit: No luck. :(

Xapati

JaseC said:
But that's just the thing - I had about 20 or so games listed as "not installed" and they all began downloading fine. I of course kept trying AvPC every now and again as I made my way through the list, but obviously I had no success. There doesn't appear to be a server overload, but rather an issue with this one title.

I'll give your suggestion a shot, nonetheless.

Edit: No luck. :(

Remove the file clientregistry.blob in the directory /Steam/

Now restart Steam, let it update and try again.

vocab

Anyone want a killing floor guest pass? Also, does anyone have a shattered horizon guest pass? I really want to try it on my new setup.

tabsina

ok, so i just noticed that all my steam games are opening in 32 bit according to task manager, despite having windows 7 64bit professional.. is there some setting or similar to get them going in 64bit?

tabsina said:
ok, so i just noticed that all my steam games are opening in 32 bit according to task manager, despite having windows 7 64bit professional.. is there some setting or similar to get them going in 64bit?

Some games don't run in 64 bit.

vocab said:
Anyone want a killing floor guest pass? Also, does anyone have a shattered horizon guest pass? I really want to try it on my new setup.

I'll take a Killing Floor guest pass. I have a Shattered Horizon guest pass to trade for it. My Steam community page is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tubonjics1

If anyone else wants a Shattered Horizon guest pass then quote me and leave a link to your Steam community page and I'll send a friend request then the invite.

The guest passes for Shattered Horizon will expire on January 30, 2010 if I do not give it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom