• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Javaman said:
I've been going through the side areas to free settlements. Usually I'll do a bunch before saving since it's a pain going back to a save place to save. The save prompt doesn't come up during these missions. I don't sweat dying since I can continue, but the stupid bug above messed me up big time. Most of the glitches were with hit detection.

Yeah I would seriously recommend doing the main story missions exclusively.

Nimyh

Banned
What brilliant timing for the X-Com pack. It was apparently region locked right until now (I couldn't even find it yesterday), and I persuaded a friend to gift the entire pack to me. Fortunately that could only happen next week and meanwhile this happens :lol

(first post here btw.. that activation thing sure takes a while)

Andvary

Nimyh said:
What brilliant timing for the X-Com pack. It was apparently region locked right until now (I couldn't even find it yesterday), and I persuaded a friend to gift the entire pack to me. Fortunately that could only happen next week and meanwhile this happens :lol

(first post here btw.. that activation thing sure takes a while)

wow, you're right, a few minutes ago it was still region locked.

AcridMeat

Banned
Can anyone give me a synopsis on Freedom Force? I'm intrigued, but don't have time to play the demo at the moment because I have work.

Daigoro

anyone else having problems with Steam?

it keeps giving me a connection error saying that im not currently connected to the internet/connection isnt set up for Steam. wtf?

i keep retrying, but i will not connect. anyone know whats up?

edit: looks like my router might be dying... or something.

when i plug directly in to my modem it works, but its not liking my router all of a sudden. i did have to shut it down and reset it the other day because it lost connection.

hm.

Alien vs. Predator - bought
Psychonauts - bought
Freedom Force and X Com packs - will buy today
I have so much love for Steam, but so much hatred at how they take money from me so easily.

Psy-Phi

This is why I shouldn't buy anything until it's on sale. I owned all of the deals from this week. Feel like I'm missing out for some reason :p.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AcridMeat said:
Can anyone give me a synopsis on Freedom Force? I'm intrigued, but don't have time to play the demo at the moment because I have work.

Dude it's $2.

Synopsis: Fuckawesome. Buy it now.

Dennis

Banned
:lol Oh shit, it is soooooo easy to buy from Steam now - you don't even have to enter your credit card info each time.

X-Com pack bought - just for the sake of convenience.

enewtabie said:
Is that the GFWL version with acheivements? Sorry,not sure how this works.
I'm not actually sure, but I've got games on Steam that are GFW enabled. Usually if a game has GFW as an option, it will be in every version I believe.

So maybe, probably? Sorry.

Zachack

AcridMeat said:
It's like an early Dawn of War 2 with superheroes and a linear campaign. Some elements show their age but you can tell your units to throw cars.

I also liked the original much more than the expansion.

Buttonbasher said:
It's not Steam, but this thread's the best place to post it.

Red Faction: Guerrilla is 4.95 on Direct2Drive
until Next Friday.
http://www.direct2drive.com/8064/product/Buy-Red-Faction:-Guerrilla-Download

You know, if you're looking to spend more money or something.

Can you gift on D2D? Its £9 in the UK which is like 3/4 times as much as a US copy. Anyone willing to help me out?

enewtabie said:
Is that the GFWL version with acheivements? Sorry,not sure how this works.

The GFWL version is the only version.

Metalic Sand said:
Fuck. i gotta buy freedom force and i dont even know wth it is. But its $2.

Edit: X-com pack for $2. Mite just blindly buy this too.

Bought and Bought.

So . . . is this sale some foreshadowing for new projects we can expect to see from Irrational games?

Oh . . . and this:

43b6319a255be46f30f64e694201f821.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
brain_stew said:
Can you gift on D2D? Its £9 in the UK which is like 3/4 times as much as a US copy. Anyone willing to help me out?
I'd thought you'd know this, but hey. Just click on US as your region, and buy it from there. I just done it and paid $5.86 thanks to the added VAT.

If your Credit/Debit card charges you for overseas transactions (mine does), use Paypal, as that will not.

I posted the US link here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19534674&postcount=367

Stop It said:
I'd thought you'd know this, but hey. Just click on US as your region, and buy it from there. I just done it and paid $5.86 thanks to the added VAT.

If your Credit/Debit card charges you for overseas transactions (mine does), use Paypal, as that will not.

I posted the US link here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19534674&postcount=367

Yeah, that use to work fine then didn't for a while for me but then didn't. Ill try again then D2D has never made sense to me.

Edit: And it works, what a clusterfuck of a site, oh well, I'm not complaining, $5 Red Faction is fine by me.

Edit 2: Ooh D2D have a Steam like client now with auto patching and pretty boxarts, even lets you launch non D2D games as well. Pretty cool, seems the service is improving.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
brain_stew said:
Yeah, that use to work fine then didn't for a while for me but then didn't. Ill try again then D2D has never made sense to me.
D2D have made it much clearer recently in that regard (because it was hit and miss).

When you click on a link to a game on D2D, below the price will say the availability, if it says US/UK/Wherever only, it will be IP locked. However if it says "This product is available for purchase worldwide." you can buy it from any of the D2D sites, regardless of where you come from or if the game is on the other regions at different prices.

Edit: It worked for you then? Awesome, I was thinking about buying the game for £10, so nearer to £4 is a right bargain.

Dave Long

Banned
Hear me, oh youth of GAF...

If you've never played X-Com or Freedom Force, this could very well be the best $4 you'll spend all year.

Daigoro

i bought FF, but im not sold on X-com. even at 2 bucks.

its been on sale a bunch of times but i cant bring myself to buy it.

I am thinking about Red Faction, but how D2D works? Is there a client like Steam? I am not sure if I should wait for a Steam sale, since I like all my games under the Steam Client.

GHG

Stop It said:
D2D have made it much clearer recently in that regard (because it was hit and miss).

When you click on a link to a game on D2D, below the price will say the availability, if it says US/UK/Wherever only, it will be IP locked. However if it says "This product is available for purchase worldwide." you can buy it from any of the D2D sites, regardless of where you come from or if the game is on the other regions at different prices.

Edit: It worked for you then? Awesome, I was thinking about buying the game for £10, so nearer to £4 is a right bargain.

Yes it works. Just bought it, downloading now. Bargin at under a fiver.
I am thinking about Red Faction, but how D2D works? Is there a client like Steam? I am not sure if I should wait for a Steam sale, since I like all my games under the Steam Client.

You buy, you download either through firefox or one of their 2 download manager clients. Its pretty simple. You can add it to your steam list anyway by going to games>add a non steam game...

GHG said:
You can add it to your steam list anyway by going to games>add a non steam game...

Yeah, but then I have to remember another account/password if I need to re-download the game. The practical side of Steam is that I can re-install all my games without much trouble. I know it is the same for D2D, but I am already a Steam user, so D2D is another service I will have to remember my data.

X-COM is timeless. You'll find yourself as helpless against its pull now as PC gamers were when it originally came out. The huge gap in games over the years in terms of art, interface, sound, all doesn't seem to faze this game.

GHG

Chiaroscuro said:
Yeah, but then I have to remember another account/password if I need to re-download the game. The practical side of Steam is that I can re-install all my games without much trouble. I know it is the same for D2D, but I am already a Steam user, so D2D is another service I will have to remember my data.

But realisticly how often will you have to re-download? Hell, you can keep/backup the install .exe with D2D. Just to make it clear, you download the install .exe, the game doesn't download pre-installed a-la steam.

For the record I'd forgotten my D2D password since this was the 1st time I've used it since buying Rfactor way back about 3 years ago now. I just put my email address in and they sent me the means to reset my password. Simple. Your making excuses. If you want the game just buy the damn thing already.

Next thing you know we'll be having PC game client fanboys like there are console ones :lol .

Chiaroscuro said:
Sounds like they DO have a client now, but the games are otherwise tied to your account. If you ever need to redownload it, you just sign in on the site and click the download link.

Chiaroscuro said:

If that's such a big issue just download the client and have that remember your password.

Buttonbasher said:
Sounds like they DO have a client now, but the games are otherwise tied to your account. If you ever need to redownload it, you just sign in on the site and click the download link.

Also, as said, one download is all you need, you can backup that installation file as much as you want and just install from there. There's a client but youd on't need to use it to play any of your D2D games.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
brain_stew said:
The GFWL version [of Red Faction: Guerrilla] is the only version.

...and it's a buggy piece-of-shit. I bought it like three months ago and still have not been able to play it. Originally, there was a bug where it wouldn't output audio in 5.1. Now, that's fixed but I absolutely cannot get the game to run in non-windowed mode. And even that runs farrrr too fast. Admittedly, I haven't been following the development beyond the first patch as I got a bit fed up with it but it should still be noted. Then again, 5 bucks is 5 bucks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fark, I played Freedom Force on my 'Box back in the day and I haven't played XCom yet. I just signed up for Steam a couple weeks ago and I've already spent way to much on it but I can't resist a deal like this. It wasn't a sale, but I got Max Payne 1/2 for $15 which is still a good price for 2 great games.

GHG said:
Next thing you know we'll be having PC game client fanboys like there are console ones :lol .

We have fucking rabid Steam fanboys on this forum.

I've used gog.com, gamersgate, Impulse, Steam and D2D myself and had a good experience with all of them tbh, the competition has really stepped up in the past year. Steam and gog.com are still my preference (with Impulse following very closely behind) but I'm not going to miss a great deal like this just because its on a different service.

Minsc

Gold Member
Daigoro said:

Yea, it sucks to spend countless hours on an awesome game that is probably the best game in its genre to date.

Minsc

Gold Member
slidewinder said:
Never played an X-Com game. Should I start with the first one (UFO Defense, I believe)?

Yup, it's the purest, especially for a beginner, I'd think all the underwater stuff would just be another layer of difficulty and abstraction, but TFTD may not be a bad choice either. The original two are also the best, so the bad part is all the sequels won't be quite as fun.

Narag

Bought xcom a week or two ago but hey, for $2 for all of them I'm in. Picked up FF too. Was temped with Tropico but I've some restraint. :lol

Daigoro said:

You're missing out as others have said. The game is so replayable and Chryssalids create so much tension later on. :lol

Sloegr

brain_stew said:
We have fucking rabid Steam fanboys on this forum.

I've used gog.com, gamersgate, Impulse, Steam and D2D myself and had a good experience with all of them tbh, the competition has really stepped up in the past year. Steam and gog.com are still my preference (with Impulse following very closely behind) but I'm not going to miss a great deal like this just because its on a different service.

I agree. I've used all those except for Gamersgate and found them to be valid alternatives to Steam.

I would use D2D more if they were more transparent with their DRM info, especially with how many activations each game is limited to. If D2D games had unlimited activations, I'd have quite a few more games from them.

Of course, GOG has my favorite DRM policy of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom