• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Fragamemnon said:
Yeah this has been the case for well over a year now.
It's true.

Makes much less sense than console fanboys, though. The clients are free and you're always able to attach non-Steam games into your Steam interface.

I prefer stuff on Steam but a good deal is a good deal.

Zachack

Minsc said:
Yup, it's the purest, especially for a beginner, I'd think all the underwater stuff would just be another layer of difficulty and abstraction, but TFTD may not be a bad choice either. The original two are also the best, so the bad part is all the sequels won't be quite as fun.
TFTD always seemed much harder than the original.

On the "plus" side Enforcer is really easy!

brain_stew said:
Yeah, that use to work fine then didn't for a while for me but then didn't. Ill try again then D2D has never made sense to me.

Edit: And it works, what a clusterfuck of a site, oh well, I'm not complaining, $5 Red Faction is fine by me.

Edit 2: Ooh D2D have a Steam like client now with auto patching and pretty boxarts, even lets you launch non D2D games as well. Pretty cool, seems the service is improving.
Both awesome to know, I am put off using D2D as I am so use to the steam client and how it manages nearly everything, while I am trying to avoid installing tons of crap on this new win7 pc, I may grab this for $5 also since I live in the uk too :p

*edit* now mine for about £3.90 :D

Not too interested in the steam sale this weekend, will save my coins for the next one.

*edit2* wow Comrade isn't too shabby, much better then having to log into a website ro access your game details, feels like a steam clone but that is good in my books.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sinatar said:
Dude it's $2.

Synopsis: Fuckawesome. Buy it now.

Yeah but I've spent $70 on impulse this week. :lol
Zachack said:
It's like an early Dawn of War 2 with superheroes and a linear campaign. Some elements show their age but you can tell your units to throw cars.

I also liked the original much more than the expansion.

Ah okay, from the screenshots it almost looked like marvel alliance so I wanted to know the strategy aspect of it. Definitely sounds awesome.

But something very strange, I installed the demo for the first game, and it says it has known compatibility issues and crashes? I'm on vista which says is supported so I don't know what's up. I'm reinstalling it now just to be sure. :/

poweld

I've got both an addictive personality, and a strong will to match. In my lifetime, I have:

1) Lost 70lb due to a change in diet and exercise habits
2) Quit smoking (see item 1)
3) Quit playing MMOs of any kind forever (see item 1)
4) Turned myself from nearly flunking out of college to earning nearly straight A's (see items 1 and 3)

Yes, I am a magnificent fucking specimen. Steam sales, however, are the kind of drugs I just can't quit.

Bought. Both. Now excuse me, I think I'm going to nod off while this shit pumps through my swollen veins.

poweld said:
I've got both an addictive personality, and a strong will to match. In my lifetime, I have:

4) Turned myself from nearly flunking out of college to earning nearly straight A's (see items 1 and 3)

Yes, I am a magnificent fucking specimen. Steam sales, however, are the kind of drugs I just can't quit.

Bought. Both. Now excuse me, I think I'm going to nod off while this shit pumps through my swollen veins.
:lol :lol :lol
Yup. I am proud of myself, I haven't bought any of the sales this week
Because I already have them all :(
After picking up Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, and BF:BC 2, I made a vow to not buy any new releases for at least 6 months. It helps that there are no new releases that I MUST HAVE coming.

Lothars

LovingSteam said:
After picking up Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, and BF:BC 2, I made a vow to not buy any new releases for at least 6 months. It helps that there are no new releases that I MUST HAVE coming.

Yeah I am exactly the same, I had everything as well but there are a couple games that I wouldn't mind to pick up especially Oblivion GOTY edition, once that goes on sale again which hopefully will be soon.

Lothars said:
Yeah I am exactly the same, I had everything as well but there are a couple games that I wouldn't mind to pick up especially Oblivion GOTY edition, once that goes on sale again which hopefully will be soon.

The price was lowered to $19.95 for Oblivion GOTY, just an FYI.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
poweld said:

All of those are self inflicted... :lol

Normally I would've bought these two bundles sight-unseen just based on the price and good word-of-mouth, but after just buying Bioshock 2, Psychonauts, and Toki Tori, I'm starting to feel like I need to cut into my backlog before buying anything else. I think I'm going to be skipping the midweek/weekend sales for a while (unless it's something I really want to play).

Minsc

Gold Member
LovingSteam said:

Feb
Aliens vs Predator
Napoleon: Total War
Anno 1404: Venice

March
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
Mount & Blade Warband
Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Assassin's Creed 2
Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Supreme Commander 2

April-July
StarCraft II (if beta rumors are true)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Gray Matter
Alpha Protocol
Syberia 3
F1 2010

Just to name a few... :)

Minsc said:
Feb
Aliens vs Predator

March
Mount & Blade Warband
Assassin's Creed 2
Supreme Commander 2

April-July
Gray Matter
Alpha Protocol
Syberia 3
F1 2010

You missed the single biggest one: Just Cause 2 in March.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Minsc said:
Feb
Aliens vs Predator

March
Mount & Blade Warband

April-July
Alpha Protocol

Interested in all of those. Heh.

I'll probably play AvP, BC2, and Alpha Protocol on Console. And wait till they bundled Anno and M/B with the original. Pick em up cheap in retail.

Minsc said:
Feb
Aliens vs Predator

March
Mount & Blade Warband
Assassin's Creed 2
Supreme Commander 2

April-July
Gray Matter
Alpha Protocol
Syberia 3
F1 2010

In terms of Steam releases is what I was referring to lol. But yea,

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zachack said:
It's like an early Dawn of War 2 with superheroes and a linear campaign. Some elements show their age but you can tell your units to throw cars.

I also liked the original much more than the expansion.

Its also a love letter to the Silver Age of Comics.

Javaman

Minotauro said:
...and it's a buggy piece-of-shit. I bought it like three months ago and still have not been able to play it. Originally, there was a bug where it wouldn't output audio in 5.1. Now, that's fixed but I absolutely cannot get the game to run in non-windowed mode. And even that runs farrrr too fast. Admittedly, I haven't been following the development beyond the first patch as I got a bit fed up with it but it should still be noted. Then again, 5 bucks is 5 bucks.

Same here but for different issues. I still hadn't even gotten past the menu without constant lockups. Very disappointing considering I can even run crysis on my older rig.

poweld said:

:lol

Yeah, for $2 I just buy them even if I have no intent on playing. It will be there like a book on the shelf in case I want to check it out. And I've certainly discovered some really cool games buying anything that is cheap. Osmos, some Popcap games I never would have tried, etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
shintoki said:
Interested in all of those. Heh.

I'll probably play AvP, BC2, and Alpha Protocol on Console. And wait till they bundled Anno and M/B with the original. Pick em up cheap in retail.

Dude, AP on console? This is Obsidian. You need the patch community on standby.

LovingSteam said:
I made a vow to not buy any new releases for at least 6 months.
Yeah, I tried to avoid the new releases except the ones I really want. But games that are less than $15 . . . that's fair game for impulse buys. :D

Slavik81

brain_stew said:
We have fucking rabid Steam fanboys on this forum.
There was a time when Steam needed vocal support to convince publishers and other consumers to give it a chance. They had a purpose.

These days, though, I don't think Steam needs them. It has a very solid footing as a distribution service.

Slavik81 said:
There was a time when Steam needed vocal support to convince publishers and other consumers to give it a chance. They had a purpose.

These days, though, I don't think Steam needs them. It has a very solid footing as a distribution service.

If you're a third party publisher, withholding your game from Steam is pretty much retail suicide, these days. Its the single largest retailer of PC games in existence.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Minsc said:
Feb
Aliens vs Predator

March
Mount & Blade Warband
Assassin's Creed 2
Supreme Commander 2

April-July
Gray Matter
Alpha Protocol
Syberia 3
F1 2010

Wow, three AAA RTS games in one month. You would think the publishers would try to spread those out. I guess Q1 is the new Q4.

TheExodu5

Banned
brain_stew said:
If you're a third party publisher*, withholding your game from Steam is pretty much retail suicide, these days. Its the single largest retailer of PC games in existence.

*that isn't Blizzard

Fixed.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
HK-47 said:
Dude, AP on console? This is Obsidian. You need the patch community on standby.
It's easier for me to rent games with console than PC is the only reason why I'm thinking 360 for it now. If it turns out incredible, I'll ignore the rental and pick it up for cheap a bit later on for PC. Which is saying an awful lot since I only picked up about 6 or 7 games prior to the Steam Sale. Either being PC Titles or Shmups. :lol

Mrbob

SapientWolf said:
Wow, three AAA RTS games in one month. You would think the publishers would try to spread those out. I guess Q1 is the new Q4.

Yeah I'm a bit miffed about that. Only going to get one though. The true rts champion dawn of war 2 chaos rising.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
AcridMeat said:
Yeah but I've spent $70 on impulse this week. :lol

Ah okay, from the screenshots it almost looked like marvel alliance so I wanted to know the strategy aspect of it. Definitely sounds awesome.

But something very strange, I installed the demo for the first game, and it says it has known compatibility issues and crashes? I'm on vista which says is supported so I don't know what's up. I'm reinstalling it now just to be sure. :/

Yeah its been a while since i've played it but its a tactical rpg strategy game with superheroes.

I remember when SP2 came out for XP it fucked the game up horribly. People could not play it at all and the devs acknowledged this. It took them months to come out with a fix.

Also its very comic book orientated and has pretty good tools to develop your own superheroes and campaigns.

Just bought the X-Com complete pack for $2

X-COM: Apocalypse
X-COM: Enforcer
X-COM: Interceptor
X-COM: Terror From the Deep
X-COM: UFO Defense

Thinking about going for the Freedom Force deal now.

Salaadin

Any tweaks I can do to get Mass Effect to run better? I can run Crysis mostly at 30FPS but ME has this tendency to drop into the low 20s and sometimes in the teens during cutscenes. Its kinda frustrating.

Its highest FPS so far is around 30 which is also odd. Mostly everything else I own other than Crysis hangs around 40FPS at their lowest. Im running an Intel i5 750, 4GBs RAM and a Radeon HD5850 so I didnt expect to see ME lagging around so much.

Salaadin said:
Any tweaks I can do to get Mass Effect to run better? I can run Crysis mostly at 30FPS but ME has this tendency to drop into the low 20s and sometimes in the teens during cutscenes. Its kinda frustrating.

Its highest FPS so far is around 30 which is also odd. Mostly everything else I own other than Crysis hangs around 40FPS at their lowest. Im running an Intel i5 750, 4GBs RAM and a Radeon HD5850 so I didnt expect to see ME lagging around so much.

It just runs pretty shitty no matter what you do.

After buying 14 items during the sales from late october to early januari, I´m back on a more sensible track with just buying Psychonauts. :D

Bioshock 2 was on my radar for a while, but 2k took that idea out of me by implementing DRM schemes that no customer should accept.

Fio

LocoMrPollock said:
It just runs pretty shitty no matter what you do.

This is not true. It's a great port. I played this game on a 8800GT, @1280x1024 + 2AA + Vsync and got a solid 30FPS with some occasional slowdowns here and there. But it's perfectly playable, much better than the broken X360 version.

Fio said:
This is not true. It's a great port. I played this game on a 8800GT, @1280x1024 + 2AA + Vsync and got a solid 30FPS with some occasional slowdowns here and there. But it's perfectly playable, much better than the broken X360 version.
how do you make it set to 30fps?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mrbob said:
Yeah I'm a bit miffed about that. Only going to get one though. The true rts champion dawn of war 2 chaos rising.
Have you been following the news on all of the new units? So far...

Orkz - Wierdboy
Tyranids - Tyrant Guard, Genestealers
Space Marines - Librarian

Chaos hasn't even been revealed yet.

Plus the new campaign no long follow the original's "fight to point X, kill boss y" formula.

It's looking epic.
DMPrince said:
how do you make it set to 30fps?
Under BioEngine.ini, find MaxSmoothFramerate, set it to 30

Salaadin

K.Jack said:
Under BioEngine.ini, find MaxSmoothFramerate, set it to 30

Is that going to raise the minimum framerate at all? I can go above 30 FPS indoors but whenever there is a lot of lighting and effects on the screen, it drops a lot. I just hit 9 FPS in one cutscene. I dont think Ive ever seen 9FPS on this PC.

It looks nice but Im trying to get a stable framerate out of it...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2a0njbc.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/24b46ya.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/j5i6o3.jpg

Salaadin said:

Assuming you're on a modern OS (Vista,7) try running it in compatibility mode for XP SP2.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up buying Toki Tori, it's probably the best $3.75 i have ever spent, the game is awesome. If you enjoy puzzle games you owe yourself to get Toki Tori specially since it has steam achievements, it uses the steam cloud and looks pretty good.

MoFuzz

Salaadin said:

I believe AA delivers quite a severe performance blow to the game. Try disabling or running or 2x?

AcridMeat

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Yeah its been a while since i've played it but its a tactical rpg strategy game with superheroes.

I remember when SP2 came out for XP it fucked the game up horribly. People could not play it at all and the devs acknowledged this. It took them months to come out with a fix.

Also its very comic book orientated and has pretty good tools to develop your own superheroes and campaigns.

All of it sounds like stuff I would enjoy, so I ended up buying it. I realized if it doesn't end up running on my desktop I can just play it on my laptop. :)

With that said, I really hope it works on my desktop...

Slavik81

Minsc said:
Whoa, whoa... "Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight"?
They're actually making Tiberian Twilight? I've been waiting for this day since I started PC gaming.

I guess I kind of have to buy it.

vocab

Salaadin said:

Uh what? You should be getting the same performance as me. 60 all the time with max AF. It dips once in a while, but that's because this PC port is not really that optimized. Vsync off, or Vsync on + Tripple buffering (its what I do). Max is 62 min is 22 in the config. I have an I5 750, and a HD5850, I don't see how you can get 30 max.

Has Steam been doing this for anybody else today?
23mszuv.png

Salaadin

MoFuzz said:
I believe AA delivers quite a severe performance blow to the game. Try disabling or running or 2x?

That was it. I had 4x Edge Detect on and once I bumped it down to 2x (which causes CCC to switch to Box mode AA), Im at 60 FPS. Smooth as butter.

vocab said:
Uh what? You should be getting the same performance as me. 60 all the time with max AF. It dips once in a while, but that's because this PC port is not really that optimized. Vsync off, or Vsync on + Tripple buffering (its what I do). Max is 62 min is 22 in the config. I have an I5 750, and a HD5850, I don't see how you can get 30 max.

I have all those settings as well. It was the AA screwing it up. Oddly enough, I dont notice much of a difference between 4x Edge Detect and 2x Box. I guess I dont really have an eye for those things. The framerate difference was huge though.

Sloegr

Gexecuter said:
I ended up buying Toki Tori, it's probably the best $3.75 i have ever spent, the game is awesome. If you enjoy puzzle games you owe yourself to get Toki Tori specially since it has steam achievements, it uses the steam cloud and looks pretty good.

I was pleasantly surprised by it as well. The promise of free bonus levels in the future is a nice touch considering the game's price. Hopefully they meet their sales goals, whatever they may be.

Salaadin said:
Is that going to raise the minimum framerate at all? I can go above 30 FPS indoors but whenever there is a lot of lighting and effects on the screen, it drops a lot. I just hit 9 FPS in one cutscene. I dont think Ive ever seen 9FPS on this PC.

It looks nice but Im trying to get a stable framerate out of it...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2a0njbc.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/24b46ya.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/j5i6o3.jpg

Then lower your settings!?
AA doesn't work properly so it has a huge performance impact, either remove it or go down to 2xmsaa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom