• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firehead

zombieshavebrains said:
Eh.. I think he was referencing Sunday's Simpsons episode. :/

Would pick up Titan Quest Gold, but I already own the first game..
that, and I really don't have the money for it right now :p

panda21

I keep getting this stupid unable to load steamUI.dll, file being used by another process error randomly when I try to start steam. Weird thing is it happens when I start up the system, so its not like there are any processes left over.

And I think more than one process should be able to open a dll anyway so why does it even need to lock it?

btw does anyone know a way to manage your steam games easily? I use the same account on both, my desk and my notebook, and it's damn fuckin awful to check, what games belong to what pc :( Is there any way to manage this aside from favorite and installed?

Firestorm

Caesar III said:
btw does anyone know a way to manage your steam games easily? I use the same account on both, my desk and my notebook, and it's damn fuckin awful to check, what games belong to what pc :( Is there any way to manage this aside from favorite and installed?
What do you mean belong to which PC? If it's installed on the PC it's installed on the PC...

MNC

Caesar III said:
You mean you do your shortcuts as well? From nonsteam games? In that case, no.

ok, perhaps it wasn't enough information, I'll give you that :)

I use my account on my Notebook and my Desk and I'd like to categorize my games a bit better than "installed" and "fav". Something like "Notebook Games", "Desk Games", "Strategy Games", whatever. Because my notebook is not that powerful - it's a tablet pc to be exact - I cannot play HL2 on it, so I'd like to hide it there or something.

That's why I thought about something to categorize them properly. I tried a bit and I found out there are URL options for nearly everything. So it would be possible to do a Browser-based Steam alternative to run, categorize, install and backup games. But if such an option exists already I don't want to bite the bullet to make something like this on my own.

I'm talking about a dynamic (automatically crawling my profile then) version of something like this example:

Strategy:

install | backup

install | backup

install | backup

Shooter:

install | backup

install | backup

install | backup

Puzzle:

install | backup

install | backup

install | backup

Why does my steam have a preload of Final fantasy XI (EU)? o_O but it says purchase. when i clicked it brought me to the front page of the store.

Thomper

Far Cry 2 for weekend deal! Great. Been meaning to pick it up. Except it seems the US version is 10 dollars, and the EU version is 15 euro's. That's a pretty terrible conversion.

Would any really friendly US-GAFfer be willing to gift-send me a copy? I'll Paypal you the money, and if you happen to be interested: I can offer you a copy of Half-Life 2: Episode 1 as well.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Thomper said:
Far Cry 2 fpr weekend deal! Great. Been meaning to pick it up. Except it seems the US version is 10 dollars, and the EU version is 15 euro's. That's a pretty terrible conversion.

Would any really friendly US-GAFfer be willing to gift-send me a copy? I'll Paypal you the money, and if you happen to be interested: I can offer you a copy of Half-Life 2: Episode 1 as well.

PMed

Oreoleo

MoFuzz said:
Leaving SecuROM in more than a year after release = kiss my ass/no sale, Ubitards.

I'm kind of surprised to see it on the FC2 store page, I could have SWORN Ubi removed Securom from it post-release.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Far Cry 2 has the biggest love/hate split I've ever seen on GAF, so I've avoided it, but at $10 I guess it's worth the risk. It's getting tossed onto the never-ending backlog anyway.

Ledsen

Everyone has to pick up Far Cry 2. It's a masterpiece, the most atmospheric game I've ever played (although I admit to not having played Demon's Souls).

Ledsen said:
Everyone has to pick up Far Cry 2. It's a masterpiece, the most atmospheric game I've ever played (although I admit to not having played Demon's Souls).

It's a shame because I'd love to take your word on it, but I can't due to install limits. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Far Cry 2 was pretty good, in my opinion, worth a try @ $10. I'd buy it again but my PC would probably explode if I tried to play it. I'll probably buy Far Cry 1 since it's only 5 dollars, I've only played about half of the Xbox version.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Snuggler said:
I'll probably buy Far Cry 1 since it's only 5 dollars, I've only played about half of the Xbox version.

The Xbox version is completely different from the PC version. Completely. The first 5 levels in Far Cry are worth 5$ easily.

5 machine activation, will pass for now. Due to that I would prefer to own this on a console so I can play it forever.

BTW if you buy FC 1 and 2 separately you save 0.01pence! bundle deal fails.

Danneee

Thomper said:
Far Cry 2 for weekend deal! Great. Been meaning to pick it up. Except it seems the US version is 10 dollars, and the EU version is 15 euro's. That's a pretty terrible conversion.

Exactly, there are a lot of other games i rather put €20 on than €15 on FC2, even if it is a really nice game. WORST STEAM SALE SINCE I STARTED USING THE SERVICE A WEEK AGO!

edit: and securom :(

JDSN

Banned
Dont buy Far Cry 2, it will make you wish someone was paying you for playing something so dull. With Far Cry 1 you will only feel this on the last half of the game.

Far Cry 2 has some serious, serious shortcomings. I would not blame anyone for hating it. However, I found the immersiveness, graphics, and that feeling of being alone against the world here to be worth playing through the game for. It just clicked for me. If they had fixed some of the glaring gameplay problems it could have really been a great game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ledsen said:
:lol

Far Cry 2 is a giant piece of shit, go and buy STALKER instead, it's much better.

Anyone interested in a coupon code for 75% off Demigod? I know I know, official Steam thread but I figure I'll hit the biggest audience for this in this thread anyways. PM me or something if you want it.

MoFuzz

MaritalWheat said:
Anyone interested in a coupon code for 75% off Demigod? I know I know, official Steam thread but I figure I'll hit the biggest audience for this in this thread anyways. PM me or something if you want it.
Blasphemer! Leave the thread at once, lest you be lumped in with the rest of the console heathens.

There can be only one.

Doytch

Interesting. Metro 2033 is up for presale ($50) with no preorder discount, but with a pack-in of Red Faction: Gorillaz

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
What's so rage inducing about FarCry 2 is that all of it's problems could have been solved by a robust mod community, but for whatever reason they chose not to release an SDK for it. It could very well have been another Oblivion or Fallout 3 if they had. You play it, and you marvel at the millions of dollars and thousands of man hours they must have been put into the graphics and the mapping technology, and wonder how in the hell they could have left things like the driving mechanics so aggravating. I had so many instances where my axles got stuck on a rocks and debris and I thought "This is either attention to detail to a stupidly realistic and unfun degree, or they just didn't polish the second most used mechanic in the game."

The AI and the stealth mechanics were also a bit odd. You sneak up on someone and machete them and it alerts every single enemy in range, but if you have a stealth weapon (like a silenced shotgun) and just shoot them, no one is alerted.

Could have been one of the better games of this generation with a little polish time.

Psy-Phi

I dig the idea for FC2, but I think it'd be better if it were either persistant or the AI fought eachother. It's damned annoying trying to drive through all those checkpoints and having to constantly fight off guys only interested in you.

Still it is quite atmospheric, and gorgeous, I'd suggest picking it up just to have fun with when you feel like shooting people and chasing down zebra's. it could have really benefited from a more engrossing story though.

Doytch

Servizio said:
What's so rage inducing about FarCry 2 is that all of it's problems could have been solved by a robust mod community, but for whatever reason they chose not to release an SDK for it. It could very well have been another Oblivion or Fallout 3 if they had. You play it, and you marvel at the millions of dollars and thousands of man hours they must have been put into the graphics and the mapping technology, and wonder how in the hell they could have left things like the driving mechanics so aggravating. I had so many instances where my axles got stuck on a rocks and debris and I thought "This is either attention to detail to a stupidly realistic and unfun degree, or they just didn't polish the second most used mechanic in the game."

The AI and the stealth mechanics were also a bit odd. You sneak up on someone and machete them and it alerts every single enemy in range, but if you have a stealth weapon (like a silenced shotgun) and just shoot them, no one is alerted.

Could have been one of the better games of this generation with a little polish time.
This, this, this. These days I'm pretty much convinced Ubisoft has no clue how to do a PC game. Compare the amount of posts in Oblivion and FC2 forums and it's a joke. Not to mention the fan forums and databases of mods.

Oreoleo

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Far Cry 2 has some serious, serious shortcomings.

You just described every single Ubisoft game ever created, ever. They certainly are not known for their polish.

However I agree that campaign aside, it is very easy and enjoyable to get lost in the world of FarCry 2. Yes regen guard posts suck a dick, but if you can get past that the game has a sense of place and atmosphere that rivals games like Bioshock. In that regard, I can't recommend FC2 enough. And I never even bothered beating the game (yet).

I'm glad Valve made the following .gif.

maintenence.gif

I just wonder if it'll stop people from making a ton of threads on the Steam forums asking why some of the services are down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom