• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
SapientWolf said:
I would just grab a wired XBox 360 controller. There is no substitute for Geometry Wars.

I actually have a wired 360 controller. I guess I should have been more specific: Has anyone had problems with resolution on the game? I noticed some people talking about it crashing a lot if they change the res.

Fragamemnon said:
I was really unhappy with the controller support. Go grab the free (and IMO better) indie game Echoes instead, which suprisingly has better controller support.

Thanks, I'll probably check this out either way.

RedSwirl

Is the original Far Cry worth $5 if I already own Far Cry 2 and Crysis?

I would say that Far Cry 2's vision definitely clicked for me. I totally think more shooters should let players do the mission however they want. I thought the execution was just way too shallow though. It felt like the size of the world limited the actual depth of what they let you do.

Even though Crysis is generally linear, its individual sandbox areas were much more intricate. They gave you more possibilities, and the game overall felt every bit as polished as any linear shooter. I almost feel like Far Cry 2's scaling towards consoles is what made the difference.

Eyebrow_39_03.jpg

Valve is having a sale at their own merchandise store until February 14, 2010.

http://store.valvesoftware.com/

prodystopian said:
I actually have a wired 360 controller. I guess I should have been more specific: Has anyone had problems with resolution on the game? I noticed some people talking about it crashing a lot if they change the res.

If I remember right, I think I had to set to windowed mode, then change the res, then go back to fullscreen.

Anyway I felt it was a waste of $3 (and I was using a 360 wired pad as well).

Fragamemnon said:
If I remember right, I think I had to set to windowed mode, then change the res, then go back to fullscreen.

Anyway I felt it was a waste of $3 (and I was using a 360 wired pad as well).

Thanks.

MoFuzz

crimsonheadGCN said:
Eyebrow_39_03.jpg

Booooo, get those tangible goods outta here! DD or bust.

RedSwirl said:
Is the original Far Cry worth $5 if I already own Far Cry 2 and Crysis?
If you haven't played the original, and enjoyed Crysis, I would definitely give it a whirl. Certain enemies partway through the game make the game somewhat lame, but when you're scouting with your binocs, stalking the grunts from the trees, pickin em off Predator style, it's good times.

dLMN8R

Foxtastical said:
Far Cry 2 totally clicked for me, it's worth checking out to see if it works for you. If it clicks, it's a grand experience.
It clicked for me.

For about 5-10 hours.

Too bad the game is 25-30 hours long, with a completely unnecessary "second map" that's basically a slightly differently laid-out set of identical environments from the first map.

Gexecuter said:
I ended up buying Toki Tori, it's probably the best $3.75 i have ever spent, the game is awesome. If you enjoy puzzle games you owe yourself to get Toki Tori specially since it has steam achievements, it uses the steam cloud and looks pretty good.
Yeah, I picked up Toki Tori as well. Definitely worth the $3.75. It is an interesting puzzle game. I'm 3/4 through the main game levels but there are lots of 'hard' and bonus levels too.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Eyebrow_39_03.jpg

I'm sorta tempted to get the Midnight Riders T-shirt. I think it is funny . . . people would think I'm wearing some T-shirt from some beard rock band they never heard of when it is actually a geek shirt.

Got to git on top, stay on da' Mountain!

Every girls crazy when her daddy not around!

Nabs

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I picked up Toki Tori as well. Definitely worth the $3.75. It is an interesting puzzle game. I'm 3/4 through the main game levels but there are lots of 'hard' and bonus levels too.

toki tori is so worth it. i may grab the PC version.

Nabs said:
toki tori is so worth it. i may grab the PC version.

Its an excellent port. Lovely HD visuals, keyboard, controller and mouse control schemes, automatically creates a save profile with your steam id attached, Steam cloud support, achievements, the works. The damn thing even boots up at your monitors current resolution to save any messing about with video options to get back to native resolution.

Soule

2 things.

I dislike that there are more games charging higher than $60USD on aussie steam now :(

I have a craving for fire emblem but one of the Wii's cords is fucked, anything u guys would recommend to play on steam instead?

also just bought toki tori earlier today, glad to hear good things about it :)

Soule said:
2 things.

I dislike that there are more games charging higher than $60USD on aussie steam now
:(

I've noticed this too. US or UK store for me before I ever buy anything.

I guess more and more Aussies are buying the higher priced games(MW2, I'm looking at you), so others think they can get away with it.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
crimsonheadGCN said:
Eyebrow_39_03.jpg

Curses! Last week just bought the TF2 5 pack print, L4D 4 pack print, a portal shirt, and L4D stickers so i can get it over 50 bucks for free shipping. I know to wait for games to go on sale but now i guess i have to wait for the steam store items to go on sale as well.

Diablohead said:
There is plenty of steam store stuff I would love to buy if not for the way over priced shipping to the UK :/ so not worth it.
Yeah I want the med kit hoody and a plushie but I can't justify it. I guess it's cause they're such a small store compared to like Threadless who sends out millions of shirts a month.

neoism

Guys is Far Cry 2 worth 10 bucks!?
Is there any mods that make the game way better?
Also most important, does the game work with the 360 PC pad!????

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
neoism said:

There are no mods to fix the critical issues in the game *cough respawning guard posts cough*

Aiming was shit on the 360 version so even if it does support the pad on the PC I would highly recommend against it (I have put ~20 hours into both versions).

dock

I've been enjoying Dragon Age. It might be the most time I've spent on a PC game (5 hours so far) without hating the game. Sure, the art is bad, etc, but I'm having fun with it and I'm glad I opted for the PC version after all.

Is the 360 wireless controller adapter thing good, or should I just get a wired 360 pad? I have two 360 controllers so I would prefer to make use of one of those.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
dock said:
I've been enjoying Dragon Age. It might be the most time I've spent on a PC game (5 hours so far) without hating the game. Sure, the art is bad, etc, but I'm having fun with it and I'm glad I opted for the PC version after all.

Is the 360 wireless controller adapter thing good, or should I just get a wired 360 pad? I have two 360 controllers so I would prefer to make use of one of those.

I can't comment on the wireless one but for me all i did for the wired one was plug in>go to appropriate microsoft website>dl driver>install drivers>adjust settings in game for gamepad usage.

Could not be easier except if you could just plug it in and then play i guess...

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
neoism said:

I woukld say pass, game was really a hit and miss! great graphics but really poor game mechanics like the lame respawning, outpots and very shallow missions. Its a huge world full of emptiness. Too bad too, loved the first one! Crysis on the other hand is amazing... just need to wait for a gtx 480 (hope it performs) and see if I can finally put max AA with sojme uber graphic and texture mods! ;)

Blizzard

Banned
dock said:

I have a wired 360 controller with the USB plug that I got specifically for my PC. I don't think I had to do anything but plug it in and stuff worked automatically in Windows Vista/Windows 7, but maybe I had to download a driver and just forgot. *shrug* I really liked it aside from the stupid D-pad, which annoyed me in Tomb Raider Underworld. It's also probably not good for fighting games, since you'll get carpal tunnel if you try. :p

dock said:

Get the wireless adapter if you can.

Ok, just got the original Far Cry in the sale. I played it a few years back, but lost the disc. I'm pretty sure I stopped playing it because I got so frustrated by the AI and how they could spot me so easily. Am I remembering correctly, or am I blowing something out of proportion?

Danne-Danger said:
Which X-Com games are worth playing (besides UFO Defence)? I got the pack and never played any of them before.

Terror from the deep and that's about it. The rest range from mediocre tactical skirmishes to a terrible third person shooter.

dock

Stallion Free said:
They only sell those packaged with wireless controllers now. The only other way to get one is used.
Oh, I had wondered why the price had sky rocketed! That's really annoying! D:

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow that sucks. Was just playing Arkham Asylum with it yesterday.

Plays great but it does still feel sorta weird to me after all these years to use a controller at my computer. I usually scoot my monitor up b/c I tend to sit way back vs. kb where I'm usually right up on the screen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dock said:
Oh, I had wondered why the price had sky rocketed! That's really annoying! D:

Yeah I found that out after my Wireless Receiver broke after a year. I just ended up buying a wired controller so I wouldn't run into the situation again, plus it freed me of the recharging. I do miss it though :(

There is a new week long deal up on Steam:

Valve said:
TOTAL WAR™ WEEK - Save 66% on Total War™ Games, Packs and DLC This Week Only
February 8, 2010, 9:00 am - Valve - Product Release

This week we're celebrating the release of the Elite Units of the East, new Downloadable Content for Empire: Total War™, with a huge sale on Total War™ games, packs and DLC from SEGA and The Creative Assembly.

All Empire, Rome, and Medieval II: Total War™ games and packs, including the Total War™ Mega Pack are 66% off, while all Empire: Total War DLC and the new Empire: Total War™ - Downloadable Content Pack are 10% off.

Whether you're new to the series or looking to round out your collection of Total War™ games and content, this week is the time to buy.

Seanbob11

TheExodu5 said:
How's E:TW these days? I know it had a rough start. At $13, I'm tempted.

It's pretty good. I've played well over 100 hours of it. It's probably second only to Rome in my opinion. However Napoleon : Total War comes out later this month, and that will probably be much better.

Struct09

Still hoping they put BioShock 2 up for preload at some point today :(

Either that, or release the game at midnight PST tonight

panda21

holy shit

so glad i didnt buy total war last week

these steam deals are a minefield of awesome :D

hmm just wondering if you pre-purchase stuff does it charge you immediately? kind of want to try BFBC2 beta but i don't want to put it on my card this month.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Picked up the Everything Total War pack for 20$. I've been tempted to pick these games up quite a few times before despite sucking at RTS horribly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AstroLad said:
Didn't really like Total War myself but I'll leave the cogent arguments to frag.

Get Company of Heroes!

Haha, don't worry that has had excellent sales long ago and much more often so I have all those games. I also fail pretty hard at them, but goddamn is it beautiful in battles.

dionysus

Yaldog
AstroLad said:
Didn't really like Total War myself but I'll leave the cogent arguments to frag.

Get Company of Heroes!

The problem with E:TW is the AI is brain dead. It totally has no idea how to use ships, which is a huge component of the game. Moreover, it doesn't actually do anything. The AI just sits in its borders. It doesn't do anything but put up an anemic defense of its already held territories. There is a little activity out in the colonies but a European power played by the player will never be threatened on its home soil. Meanwhile, you are free to invade all your neighbors at leisure. At one point I was playing as France and at war with every nation on the European continent and not a single one was doing anything but every now and then sending a shitty fleet into one of my ports or raiding a trade route. They even had big armies but they didn't do a single thing with them. Not to mention I don't think the AI knows how to transport troops across water.

What a shitty game, and the RTS elements are simplistic and shitty. Rome: TW is a much better buy.

randomwab

What's up with BioShock 2? No preload, and it's unlocking way late into the 9th. I dunno about American timezones, but it's not unlocking until 10pm tomorrow night for GMT people. Kinda regret buying it through Steam now. The only reason I preorder games on there is for the chance to preload them.

That, and STALKER Call of Pripyat is nowhere to be seen. :(

Doytch

I wouldn't spend $13 on E:TW. Though really, that's cause you shouldn't spend the time to play it. The game is broken, so if you really want some TW action, get Rome, and mod it.

Been waiting for Kindoms to go on sale for a while now, good stuff!
Terror from the deep and that's about it. The rest range from mediocre tactical skirmishes to a terrible third person shooter.
Alright, thanks.

vocab

I picked up Rome Total War Gold + Alexander. If you want to buy Rome Total War, get the Rome Total War complete instead of Total War Gold. You get Alexander for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom