• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

crimsonheadGCN said:
I'm glad Valve made the following .gif.

maintenence.gif

I just wonder if it'll stop people from making a ton of threads on the Steam forums asking why some of the services are down.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the UI update? Sounds more like backend stuff though.

Dipswitch

Farcry 2 = Meh. I bought it in one of the Steam sales and finished it over the Christmas holiday. It showed a lot of promise, but ultimately disappointed the hell out of me. The overall narrative was interesting, it looked great, and the streaming world was very impressive. The gameplay was monotonous as hell though and overall not very fun. Add in the bugs (Like the DX10 crashes and Jackal tape bug) and I almost regret spending as much time on it as I did.

graywolf323

odd I can't seem to connect to EA in Dragon Age since Steam started maintenance

but Mass Effect 2 connects just fine

Dragon Age however claims I'm not connected to the internet

edit: nvm it was just a problem with PeerBlock

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Crunched said:
BobJustBob
LOL WTF I'm so drunk
(Today, 08:19 PM)

30m8e8i.jpg

The Far Cry deal is tempting despite already owning FC2 on the PS3, but with car insurance and Uni books sucking the money out of my wallet looks like I have to let this boat sail.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
LovingSteam said:
Already happening. The idiots are showing up in droves.

Some twit from the Steam forums said:
AHAHAHHA U FAIL AGAIN!!!!!!!!. I TOLD UR MOM I WOULD ♥♥♥ ON HER FACE IN 2 MINS AND SURE AS ♥♥♥♥ I DID IT

wtf. :lol

(D'oh, was supposed to edit my post above.)

Slavik81

"Planned Steam Downtime today - COMPLETE"

The sticked thread at the top of the Steam forums says 'complete' in the title. I guess it's done?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Far Cry 2 is a lot of good ideas and a great atmosphere that come together to form a really mediocre game that lasts far too long. Shame though, it could have been amazing.

NeoUltima

How come the store, news, updates, etc do not load for me anymore :| ... Pretty annoying. Hasn't been working for a few days now.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
NeoUltima said:
How come the store, news, updates, etc do not load for me anymore :| ... Pretty annoying. Hasn't been working for a few days now.

I'm trying to buy Titan's Quest before the deal disappears but it keeps asking me to log-in an fill out a CAPTCHA to get to the checkout (which doesn't work)...

dock

I just installed Windows 7 on my 2008 iMac, so I have a decent-ish PC for gaming again. I always seem to struggle to get into PC gaming though, short of playing Doom or older single-player FPS titles.

Does anyone recommend anything I should pick up via Steam?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dock said:
I just installed Windows 7 on my 2008 iMac, so I have a decent-ish PC for gaming again. I always seem to struggle to get into PC gaming though, short of playing Doom or older single-player FPS titles.

L4D2

dock

Ah, I don't really play multiplayer stuff. I don't own a headset, and I don't know people to play online games with.

Slavik81

dock said:
Ah, I don't really play multiplayer stuff. I don't own a headset, and I don't know people to play online games with.
I had plenty of fun playing with random people, though a headset is pretty vital.

But I'd recommend The Orange Box. Portal's awesome, the Half-Life 2 saga's been great, and TF2 is ongoing fantasticness.

Sloegr

dock said:

Aquaria, Defense Grid, Plants vs. Zombies, Company of Heroes Gold, World in Conflict, The Orange Box, STALKER: SoC, Trackmania, King's Bounty, Dragon Age, The Witcher and Civ 4 Complete. Just a few suggestions to get you started, and they're all either PC exclusive or best played on PC.

Oreoleo

Slavik81 said:
But I'd recommend The Orange Box. Portal's awesome, the Half-Life 2 saga's been great, and TF2 is ongoing fantasticness.

This, a thousand times this. Everyone else in the thread will agree with him, and for the amount of content you're getting you can't beat the price. There is no other choice. I actually think it's illegal for HL2 to NOT be your first Steam purchase.. :D

dock

I already have Half Life 2 which is good, but I've never completed it, I lost interest towards the end of the game. I know it's illegal to not gush all over HL2, but I just found it really dull, and I didn't like where the story was going.

I love Portal, I bought it on its own because I didn't care about Team Fortress 2.

I do have microphone and headphones I could use for multiplayer, but I've only ever been exposed to hostile assholes in online multiplayer, especially as a new player.

I wish there was a demo of Dragon Age, I'm curious about the game but I'm not sure I want to blow £30 when I might not play it.

Slavik81

In that case, I'll second Defense Grid. It's $10, and fantastic. I agree with most of ElJuice's picks, but Defense Grid is one that's had a recent and significant price drop (from $20).

dock said:
I do have microphone and headphones I could use for multiplayer, but I've only ever been exposed to hostile assholes in online multiplayer, especially as a new player.
Left 4 Dead has a pretty good community, and there are quite a few GAFFers who play it.

dock

At this point it's not as though I can play a game with anyone that's got less than a billion hours of L4D experience, and there's always the risk of "zombies! guns! f##k yeah!".

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'm sorry that I'm not more receptive. I guess there is a reason I never get around to playing PC games. I'm determined to play something this evening though, as I have the house to myself.

dLMN8R

Far Cry 2 is a 30 hour game with roughly 5-10 hours of somewhat interesting gameplay. Far worse of a syndrome of large-size-without-content-to-fill-it than the original Assassin's Creed ever was.

If that's worth $10 to you, by all means get it!

Oreoleo

dock said:
At this point it's not as though I can play a game with anyone that's got less than a billion hours of L4D experience, and there's always the risk of "zombies! guns! f##k yeah!".

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'm sorry that I'm not more receptive. I guess there is a reason I never get around to playing PC games. I'm determined to play something this evening though, as I have the house to myself.

If you like platformers I would suggest Trine. I went into it with sort of a negative opinion of the game and still ended up loving it. A bit on the short side, but the gameplay is engaging and fairly fresh considering the genre.

Defense Grid and Plants vs Zombies are both good suggestions as well.

HAVE YOU PLAYED PEGGLE YET?

If you like racing games TrackMania has a pretty sizable fan base around these parts too.

Daigoro

dock said:

i dont understand your concern re: L4D. are you worried people are going to act like jerks? thats why having a bunch of GAF folks on your list is perfect.

its a co-op multiplayer game, thats what makes it so good. you dont even have to play VS (even though it a lot of fun), you could just play co-op campaign for a hundred hours.

you could also play solo if you wanted to as well. some people do.

Grampasso

I don't know if it's just an Euro thing, but Sacred 2 (not even the GOLD edition, the original without expansion) is still 50€. And the expansion doesn't even exists in there. Something wrong with the client or is there some copyright matter? (I know in the meanwhile Ascaron became Kochmedia, or something like that...)

dock

I think I've just had too many bad experiences with online gaming and the attitudes of keen FPS fans, so I'm not keen to play things like Left 4 dead 2, or TF2.

I'm considering Dragon Age, although I'm a bit worried as to how well it'll run on my iMac. I did enjoy Oblivion on the 360, and I've heard that Dragon Age is best played on PC.

Also, someone just recommended a game called 'The Void'. Anyone here played it?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Foxtastical said:
Far Cry 2 totally clicked for me, it's worth checking out to see if it works for you. If it clicks, it's a grand experience.
This is exactly the thing. If it clicks for you, there is nothing like it. It feels like a game with a kind of unified vision. That's rare these days.

edit: And I recommend playing the game fairly casually. It works best in spurts. But sometimes you'll just get sucked in for four hours or so and wonder where the time went.

Ledsen

BobsRevenge said:
This is exactly the thing. If it clicks for you, there is nothing like it. It feels like a game with a kind of unified vision. That's rare these days.

edit: And I recommend playing the game fairly casually. It works best in spurts. But sometimes you'll just get sucked in for four hours or so and wonder where the time went.

I third this. If it clicks, it can be one of the best gaming experiences you've ever had. It's extremely varied (no, not repetitive, you just need to approach missions with different weapons and tactics) and utterly beautiful. So good, so good.

FAR CRY 2 FOR PRESIDENT

3rdman

Far Cry 2 would get a 6 from me. The game suffers greatly from repetition in what should be a varied experience from the environment and the simplicity of the missions doesn't help. Curiously, the best mission of the game is also the last one and what really pissed me off was finding out the previous 20 hours I spent in mediocrity was designed to simply extend the game until you got to the end.

If all the missions in the game were as the last, it would've been fantastic....sadly, it isn't.

Tenks

I much preferred Crysis' implementation of the "approach the objective as you want" style. I know you can't compare the two games apples to apples but Farcry was just horribly boring. After about the third 15 minute long jeep drive (with stops to clear out that guardpost you just cleared out 20 minutes prior) you kinda just have to shut it down.

Ledsen

3rdman said:
Far Cry 2 would get a 6 from me. The game suffers greatly from repetition in what should be a varied experience from the environment and the simplicity of the missions doesn't help. Curiously, the best mission of the game is also the last one and what really pissed me off was finding out the previous 20 hours I spent in mediocrity was designed to simply extend the game until you got to the end.

If all the missions in the game were as the last, it would've been fantastic....sadly, it isn't.

The last mission is by far the worst, since it doesn't give you the total freedom you have during the rest of the game. That freedom, and the variety it brings, is the whole point of the game. Chris Remo wrote a great blog post about it.

dock said:
I'm considering Dragon Age, although I'm a bit worried as to how well it'll run on my iMac. I did enjoy Oblivion on the 360, and I've heard that Dragon Age is best played on PC.

FWIW I played through the entirety of Dragon Age on 360, and had a great time. I have no doubt that playing on a good gaming PC is the superior experience, but if the option is to play DA on 360 or not at all, give it a try on the console.

BobsRevenge said:

I did the same. I played it in spurts, but every so often I'd sit there for hours on end.

epmode

dock said:
Also, someone just recommended a game called 'The Void'. Anyone here played it?
I own it, although I haven't put very much time into it.

It's pretty out there. Fascinating for sure but it's definitely not for everyone. I'll get back to it at some point (huge backlog); The art and premise is too rad to stay away.

dock

I bought Dragon Age, so I'm downloading that now. I hadn't quite anticipated it being 15GB in size, so I'm not sure whether it'll even download in time for me to play it today! D: Crapola! I wish they would break up their downloads, it's hard to be impulsive when the game takes so long to appear.

I do have a 360 + PS3, but I think I'd rather play games a bit more suited to those machines.

I'm tempted to pick up Aliens vs Predator classic. I enjoyed some of AVP2 in 2001(?), so I presume it's a similar sort of thing. I really wish that Exhumed/Powerslave was available via Steam. I think I much prefer single player FPS games, when they were more puzzle-based and ridiculous.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So there is a decent sized group of us who play Left 4 Dead almost nightly, but we also play a lot of other games on Steam. We like to chat, bullshit, hate on and coordinate each other in these games, but Steam has shit built-in voice chat, Ventrilo is kinda meh, and in-game voice chat tends to have delay or is also meh. Nabs discovered a new solution for us called Mumble. It is fucking incredible. Stellar quality, no delay, positional audio for certain games (as in the voice chat will be mixed for surround sound and in-game distance). vertopci (also known as vertoagp) fell in love and acquired us a server for Gaf use with 100 slots. We rarely use more than ten slots at peak times so we would love to have other Gaffers hop in and appreciate awesome VOIP. We have a number of rooms set up for different games and if you plan on using it regularly for a certain game, we can add rooms for those as well.

Here is the program download link: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

And here is the server info:
GAF Mumble Server
IP: 67.23.187.114
Port: 20198

prodystopian said:
Anyone have geometry wars from Steam? I was thinking about getting it since it is only $4, but I see some problems in their forums.

I was really unhappy with the controller support. Go grab the free (and IMO better) indie game Echoes instead, which suprisingly has better controller support.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fragamemnon said:
I was really unhappy with the controller support. Go grab the free (and IMO better) indie game Echoes instead, which suprisingly has better controller support.
I would just grab a wired XBox 360 controller. There is no substitute for Geometry Wars.

deleted

Just bought Titan Quest Gold, which is still at 2,50 EUR, which is surprising, considering the midweek deal is already off more than a day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom