• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
randomwab said:
What's up with BioShock 2? No preload, and it's unlocking way late into the 9th. I dunno about American timezones, but it's not unlocking until 10pm tomorrow night for GMT people. Kinda regret buying it through Steam now. The only reason I preorder games on there is for the chance to preload them.

That, and STALKER Call of Pripyat is nowhere to be seen. :(
I think it comes down to the individual dev. I want to rewrite the agreements to all include mandatory preloads and midnight (EST, damn it) unlocks.

Ledsen

Would any US GAFer (or anyone paying in US$ or maybe GBP if that's equally cheap) be willing to buy the Total War Megapack and gift me (I'm in Sweden)? If it's $20, then that's about 25% cheaper than the Euro price for me...

Psy-Phi

I hope Bioshock 2 goes up for pre-load tonight :(. Or at least tomorrow morning so I can start it before I go to work...

Oreoleo

AstroLad said:
usually if it's not up for preload by now there is no preload

Which basically means that when the game unlocks and everyone tries to get it at the same time no one is going to be able to. sadface

panda21

i think the timing of their unlocks is kind of crazy

they have huge potential to tap into people wanting to be able to immediately start playing at midnight in their timezone, I don't see any reason why that would be hard to do, as its technically not breaking the contract.

the fact that in some timezones they dont unlock till late in the evening makes me think they just didnt bother taking that into account, which kind of sucks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm guessing the agreements leave it to the publisher's discretion whether to allow preloading and what time to do the unlock. In the highly unlikely event that they specified only a date and made no reference to time, I really doubt Valve would want to gotcha! the publisher like that anyway. I mean Valve doesn't even unlock their own games at midnight.

In an ideal world though all games would be preloadable and playable at midnight, and I agree with you about that being quite valuable to the consumer and from a marketing perspective. But keep in mind we still have one foot in Ye Olden Tymes where brick and mortar prices somehow control digital distribution prices and many publishers are probably afraid of midnight unlocks for various reasons (same for preloading).

Sloegr

Danne-Danger said:
Alright, thanks.

FWIW, I think UFO Defense is the better game. This reminds me of the old days when my brother preferred Terror from the Deep and I preferred UFO Defense. Geez, what geeky kids :lol

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I bought Empire: Total War. God i've been waiting for a price like this for a long time :D

rjfs

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend a launcher to use instead of Steam? I've added my Non-Steam games to Steam but it just seems so limited. Something that allowed me to categorize and sort my games would be great.

Atilac

rjfs said:
Can anyone recommend a launcher to use instead of Steam? I've added my Non-Steam games to Steam but it just seems so limited. Something that allowed me to categorize and sort my games would be great.
Games explorer

The Empire:TW AI-both campaign and battle- is really, really bad. CA's opponent artificial intelligence had been teetering for years now and all the extra mechanics they added into the game toppled it right over.

There is a AI mod for Empire (Darthmod) that was done by I think the same dude/team that did a decent job with the M2 modded AI. Not sure if it is much better, someone should give it a spin and find out. I

Lothars

I bought medieval kingdoms and rome total war pack for 8 bucks combined.

I had the rest of the games already so just had to fill out my list.

hamchan

Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms is still $17 in the Australian Steam store even with the sale. The price of Kingdoms has always been high here for no apparent reason. For that kind of money I'd rather buy the total war mega pack but seeing as how I already own every other game in the series this isn't possible for me since Steam doesn't allow gifting from packs. So Kingdoms remains unpurchased until they lower their price even more.

Surely it must be a mistake for Kingdoms to be the same price as Empire Total War? Seems like they set the price at release and forgot to lower it over time.

ArjanN

ElJuice said:
FWIW, I think UFO Defense is the better game. This reminds me of the old days when my brother preferred Terror from the Deep and I preferred UFO Defense. Geez, what geeky kids :lol

They're really very similar.

Terror from the Deep is longer and very hard. In UFO defense if you level up your guys/tech they become god-like. Eventually you can just send out one badass who casually fires a couple of nukes out the window of the ship to lay waste to the entire map.

I liked the HP lovecraft vibe in Terror From the Deep though.

luiztfc

I'm really tempted to buy the Medieval, but as I already have the Medieval II: Total War, I am in doubt.

And to be quite frank, I didn't get the way the works. Is it worth to buy them all and invest some time in the game?

Narag

ArjanN said:
They're really very similar.

Terror from the Deep is longer and very hard. In UFO defense if you level up your guys/tech they become god-like. Eventually you can just send out one badass who casually fires a couple of nukes out the window of the ship to lay waste to the entire map.

I liked the HP lovecraft vibe in Terror From the Deep though.

TFTD had those god awful ship levels where you'd open one of a billion cabin doors and get smoked immediately too if I remember right.

Ledsen

Ledsen said:
Would any US GAFer (or anyone paying in US$ or maybe GBP if that's equally cheap) be willing to buy the Total War Megapack and gift me (I'm in Sweden)? If it's $20, then that's about 25% cheaper than the Euro price for me...

Anyone? I'd pay you by PayPal beforehand of course :)

Firestorm

TheExodu5 said:
Tired of how they handle their PC releases.

Borderlands
- 1 week late
- came out with horrid tacked on controls
- matchmaking didn't even work
- DLC was always late and horribly overpriced
- mandatory Steam patch ADDED SecuROM hooks
- DLC activated SecuROM

Now BioShock 2 has the same shitty "release day" SecuROM even though the game was cracked before release. We have to install it even though we're getting it on Steam which has its own protection. Not only that, they're so afraid of the piracy that has already happened that they won't let us preload so we have to fight for bandwidth at a time we should just be able to decrypt at.

hamchan

Firestorm said:
Fuck 2K. First Borderlands, now this.

Australian steam store price for their recent releases, all prices in USD:

Borderlands $80
Borderlands DLC $13 each
Bioshock 2 $72

:\

Fuck 2K

Nabs

Firestorm said:

Borderlands
- 1 week late
- DLC activated SecuROM

Now BioShock 2 has the same shitty "release day" SecuROM even though the game was cracked before release. We have to install it even though we're getting it on Steam which has its own protection. Not only that, they're so afraid of the piracy that has already happened that they won't let us preload so we have to fight for bandwidth at a time we should just be able to decrypt at.

that sucks.

Xapati

Fragamemnon said:
The Empire:TW AI-both campaign and battle- is really, really bad. CA's opponent artificial intelligence had been teetering for years now and all the extra mechanics they added into the game toppled it right over.

There is a AI mod for Empire (Darthmod) that was done by I think the same dude/team that did a decent job with the M2 modded AI. Not sure if it is much better, someone should give it a spin and find out. I

Really? That's unfortunate. I loved Medieval II and with Empire at 10 € I'm seriously considering it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
JaseC said:
The game's DD release was bumped up a day. It was supposed to unlock ~26mins ago. :lol

Oh fucking hell, the game is even out here right now. I could just go to the store >_>

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
VOOK said:
Oh fucking hell, the game is even out here right now. I could just go to the store >_>

I'm willing to wait considering I only paid US$33. I'll get the game on PS3 when I can snap it up on PALGN for $50~$60.

Edit: The problem now is finding an Aussie content server that has the game data.

mandiller

All Total War games for $20.39. It's awfully tempting. How good is Empire? I've heard its buggy as hell. Still worth it though?

Firestorm said:

Borderlands
- 1 week late
- DLC activated SecuROM
Sucks that the pc support was shit but you can disable auto updates for each game on steam, right click and go to properties then change the update status to something else then !always keep up to date!.

wow, total war mega pack at $20.39. I already have rome-gold and medieval 2, but buying the remaining games alone would cost more than the entire pack, damn you steam :lol

luiztfc said:
I'm really tempted to buy the Medieval, but as I already have the Medieval II: Total War, I am in doubt.

And to be quite frank, I didn't get the way the works. Is it worth to buy them all and invest some time in the game?
You mean if you should get the expansion, right? You really only need Kingdoms if you have an interest to use mods (since a lot of mods build on Kingdoms), if you just want see what kind of game TW is you won't need Kingdoms for that.

Though you may want to take a look at this before you decide.

Struct09

Downloaded BioShock 2 in just over an hour this morning. Nerd rage relieved, makes up for it not going up right at midnight.

Nimyh

Banned
ArjanN said:

To be fair you'd still have to go through a lot to reach that point. Both original games are brutal, TFTD just more so.

I've never played a Total War game, always fancied trying one never found the time.
Reviews of Empire seem very positive. Perhaps they didn't play it sufficiently to expose the AI's weaknesses. I wonder if I will either though. Is it really that bad?
Is there any suggestion they'll improve the AI for Napoleon? Should I just wait for that?
I'll probably struggle to find the time to play one of these games, let alone 5 or 6. Tempted to just get Empire atm.

ElAlcesDiablo said:
I've never played a Total War game, always fancied trying one never found the time.
Reviews of Empire seem very positive. Perhaps they didn't play it sufficiently to expose the AI's weaknesses. I wonder if I will either though. Is it really that bad?
Is there any suggestion they'll improve the AI for Napoleon? Should I just wait for that?
I'll probably struggle to find the time to play one of these games, let alone 5 or 6. Tempted to just get Empire atm.

Just get Rome, the cheapest and generally considered the best.

midweek deal: Trine $5

edit: also they apparently lowered the initial sale price on Empire:Total War, last night I remember it being $13, today it is $10.20

I am backing up my steam games using the build in backup utility and its taking ages to pack up big games like GTA IV, if I just copy/paste the installed game to an external hdd and delete the game from steam, will pasting back the files at a later date add it back to my steam installed list automaticly? One time I reinstalled steam years ago on an old computer and it didn't seem to work right.

If these back-up packages I am making know where steam is and reinstalls games quickly I would prefer to do that.

I have a baby small HDD because my pc was made on a super tight budget and processor, ram and graphics card came first before anything else as I was once a poor student :p

lakesideflight said:
edit: also they apparently lowered the initial sale price on Empire:Total War, last night I remember it being $13, today it is $10.20

Because someone at Valve is very bad at Math. Usual price US$ 29.99, at 66% discount no way it should have been $ 13.

Trine is $5 for you Americans? it's £4.25 here what a rip! :p

xe.com says $5 = £3.18 so I guess some paypal may be in order for some people, heh.

Spwn

Metalic Sand said:
Is the XBLA version ever coming out? :lol

Nope. Frozenbyte has stated that it's out of their hands.

Everyone, get Trine now! It's a fantastic game, I tell you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom