• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I've got a quadcore, it's also unplayable on that one, stutters frequently and crashes often. Maybe it's my specific configuration, but I don't think so.

Anyway, just try it out, maybe it works just fine on your right. It's worth a try, the game isn't too shabby from a design standpoint, it should be really cool once it runs smoothly. The big download is a downer, but it's still worth trying in my opinion.

zedge said:
Hmm thanks. So is it basic fair.. DM, TDM etc?

It's all objective based stuff, there's 3 maps, 2 are capture the point type things and one is a capture the flag variant. There's also a meta-game element where wins for each faction go toward a ticker of who has control of that planet, I believe the winning faction gets some bonuses for it too.

careful

wmat said:
I've got a quadcore, it's also unplayable on that one, stutters frequently and crashes often. Maybe it's my specific configuration, but I don't think so.

Anyway, just try it out, maybe it works just fine on your right. It's worth a try, the game isn't too shabby from a design standpoint, it should be really cool once it runs smoothly. The big download is a downer, but it's still worth trying in my opinion.
I think I won't bother and save myself the bandwidth and hard disk space. I heard good things about it, so I might come back to it next time I upgrade my PC. Won't have much time next month anyway, with FF13, now Chaos Rising, replaying ME2 again, and still playing MW2 regularly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
wmat said:

I've got an i5-750 and an AMD 5850, and Saint's Row 2 looks and runs like garbage on my computer. And it still has the W7 speedup bug on top of that. I can't believe they had the audacity to release the game in that state.

Borman

randomlyrossy said:
I grabbed it off Direct 2 Drive when it got released last week. I'm a big Stargate fan and I wanted to support the developer because they've gone through some shit while making Stargate: Worlds (the MMO). This game is essentially them trying to get some more money to fund that, so I had to chip in.

That being said (and bear in mind I've playd 45 mins tops) it's not a very good game. Considering it doesn't look all that great it ran like shit for me till I lowered some settings, it's unreal engine too and I've had no troubles with that before, Arkham Asylum run pretty perfectly.

It seems reeeeeeeeeeeeally unbalanced, the Goa'uld classes seem to be incredibly overpowered, the Jaffa can continuously fire where as the human equivalent of solider has to reload every few seconds.

Maybe it'll improve or I just need to play it a bit more to get a feel for it but what I played I didn't like, it was fairly empty at the time too but I imagine that should change with it being on Steam and having been out a week now.

Ive always felt the opposite, with the SGC being overpowered.

IMACOMPUTA

ZombieSupaStar said:
No.

GTA SA/VC/3 were awesome, GTA4 was lucky to have their hype and goodwill to carry it to high reviews scores, its an "8" game total.

Um, I'm all for people expressing their opinions on here.. but this is ridiculous.. especially for such a high profile game.

It's a 10 in my book.. and that matters 10 million x more than what a review score is, or should be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IMACOMPUTA said:
Um, I'm all for people expressing their opinions on here.. but this is ridiculous.. especially for such a high profile game.

It's a 10 in my book.. and that matters 10 million x more than what a review score is, or should be.

By the time the DLC hits PC and PS3 and people pick up the game a couple of years after the hype, they'll realize how bad the mission design and the controls are.

It's a pretty looking average game. If it didn't have the GTA name behind it, people would be savaging the awkward controls and the rote mission structure, let alone the car handling.

IMACOMPUTA

firehawk12 said:
By the time the DLC hits PC and PS3 and people pick up the game a couple of years after the hype, they'll realize how bad the mission design and the controls are.

It's a pretty looking average game. If it didn't have the GTA name behind it, people would be savaging the awkward controls and the rote mission structure, let alone the car handling.

Alot of people like the car handling, including me.
I agree the mission structure and control need work, but the game is so far ahead of everything else in terms of city/physics/car damage. And that makes an amazing foundation for a sequel.
Remember how bare GTA3 was? and how awesome SA was?
:)

Ledsen

IMACOMPUTA said:
Alot of people like the car handling, including me.
I agree the mission structure and control need work, but the game is so far ahead of everything else in terms of city/physics/car damage. And that makes an amazing foundation for a sequel.
Remember how bare GTA3 was? and how awesome SA was?
:)

I love the car handling as well. At first, I thought it was the worst handling in a game ever, and raged and raged on forums about how crappy it was. Then I got used to it, and now I couldn't live without it. I LOVE the weight the cars have, it feels perfect when you learn how to drive properly.

Xapati

Saints Row 2 is unplayable on a dual core machine? Seems like a stupid gift to give then, considering how many people who are preordering DoWII have Dual Core machines. Probably gonna annoy a lot of people.

Ledsen said:
I love the car handling as well. At first, I thought it was the worst handling in a game ever, and raged and raged on forums about how crappy it was. Then I got used to it, and now I couldn't live without it. I LOVE the weight the cars have, it feels perfect when you learn how to drive properly.
I went through a similar progression (without the forum rage). When I first started playing the game, I thought the cars drove like shitty boats. As I got accustomed to it, I loved it more and more. By the time I was a few hours in, I found it to be probably my favorite car handling in any open world action game. It's great.

Smash88

Banned
Xapati said:
Saints Row 2 is unplayable on a dual core machine? Seems like a stupid gift to give then, considering how many people who are preordering DoWII have Dual Core machines. Probably gonna annoy a lot of people.

It playable, its just to a certain point where its not worth it, because of the problems. I have a Quad Core so I would have no problems playing it, at least less problems. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trinest said:
People don't like the driving because they are 12 yr olds who have never driven before.

If I want to drive in a video game, I have Forza 3 and GT5:p. Hell, maybe I'll even buy 5 360s and hook them up together so I can make a fake cockpit with a fake racing chair.

There's nothing fun about restarting an entire mission (because checkpoints are for pussies) because you fuck up a corner and 5 cop cars smash into you. And I say that as someone who bought both TL&D and TBoGT. I want to like the game, but maybe I'm too much of a "want to have fun" type of guy to deal with it anymore.

Volition has a good formula and with Red Faction and Saints Row, they're aiming for the type of gameplay was GTA used to stand for. But then again, I guess this becomes a semantic debate on the nature of "fun". Yeah, it's entirely subjective, but I have more fun with Saints Row and Crackdown than I ever did with GTA4 - "Oscar worthy" script included (and trust me, I'm happy that a couple of white guys from England managed to make a game/expansion pack about a Latino and a gay man in a strange business driven platonic relationship).

And hey, even if you want to excuse the driving as "realistic" - the shooting, the jam A to run mechanic and the cover mechanic were outdated when the game came out.

Edit: One wonders why we're having this debate in a Steam thread of all places. It's probably the Volition/old school GTA fanboy in me. :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
firehawk12 said:
If I want to drive in a video game, I have Forza 3 and GT5:p. Hell, maybe I'll even buy 5 360s and hook them up together so I can make a fake cockpit with a fake racing chair.
I thoroughly enjoy the driving in GTA4. I wouldn't call it realistic though. You can still do the 90° handbrake corner thing and other ridiculous stuff like that.
And hey, even if you want to excuse the driving as "realistic" - the shooting, the jam A to run mechanic and the cover mechanic were outdated when the game came out.
The shooting really is so-so. The A-jamming really sucks. The cover mechanics really leave something to be desired.
But the game is really more than the sum of its parts. Noone's saying the game doesn't have significant flaws, but when I look at it as a whole, it clicks. It's a great experience for me. It's one of the podcast games for me, I can just hop into a car, drive around for 1.5 hours and level the city in the process. Or stab pedestrians and hide from the police. And so on.
I also finished every story campaign in successive sittings, although I didn't really dig the stories themselves, and I think that the characters are unlikeable and their actions and general social behavior unrealistic.
I just enjoy the missions. The grand majority of them are better than any of the missions in the previous GTAs. They have better pacing, they don't drag, they're not too hard.
Yeah there's some missions that aren't really good - I don't like any of the boat missions, for example. But when I look back at the older GTAs' missions, there's really few that stand out, and in this one, there's plenty.

Anyway, if it's not your kind of game, there's really no point in trying to convince you you're wrong, because you really aren't, you just don't dig it, I guess.
Still, the general reception of the game is positive. No point in debating that, it's just how it is.

brain_stew said:
Its unplayable on a dual core machine.
I only have a 6850 and the game runs just fine so far. Perhaps it's because I have the gimped German version without a patch :lol

But anyway. ATM I can't stand the funny looking walking of my guy and the driving. It feels like Trackmania Desert or something :D Compared to GTA IV it's also really shitty looking imho. But perhaps I missed a switch to activate the awesome? The soundtrack is great so far though :)

Ledsen

Chris Remo said:
I went through a similar progression (without the forum rage). When I first started playing the game, I thought the cars drove like shitty boats. As I got accustomed to it, I loved it more and more. By the time I was a few hours in, I found it to be probably my favorite car handling in any open world action game. It's great.

Most people who hate the handling compare it to a boat or a car with a few tons of bricks in the trunk. That's strangely accurate, and yet that's what I love about it. Taking turns at high speeds is intensely satisfying once you've got a handle on it. The only problem is that it's ruined any sense of satisfaction for me in open world games that have more forgiving handling, like SR2 (which I still loved). Shit, now I kind of have to turn on the 360 and drive around Liberty City for a while :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ArjanN said:
Isn't every Worms game pretty much the same with more guns anyway?

I'd only consider it true for Worms: Armageddon and Worms World Party. Really, the only noteworthy difference was the range of the levels.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
wmat said:
Good to hear you're on board :D

Yep, i am glad i listened to gaf and bought the game. The combat feels rewarding on foot tough hitting targets while on horse is hard but man when you do pull it off it feels great. Also i enjoy the freedom the game gives me, i slaughtered some poor farmers while they were travelling and took the survivors as prisoners just because i wanted to, you can be a dick in this game which is great.

Borman said:
Ive always felt the opposite, with the SGC being overpowered.

Like I said I only played for 45 minutes, so I could be wrong. But in the few games I played the System Lords were constantly winning and seemed to have the advantage in terms of powers and such.

I do need to play some more, especially now there's no doubt a few more people playing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gexecuter said:
Hopefully The Void is the weekend deal for this week, saw a dev hinting that on rockpapershotgun.com.
Better not be for $5 as I just picked it up on D2D but would much rather have had it on steam.

Roofy

damn steam, i just keep falling for all these midweek/weekend deals.

also yes lol tuesday is not midweek but im not complaining, the earlier they post the deals the better

Volcynika

Roofy said:
damn steam, i just keep falling for all these midweek/weekend deals.

also yes lol tuesday is not midweek but im not complaining, the earlier they post the deals the better

They've 99.99999% posted midweek deals on Tuesday, unless you want a real midweek deal of sorts which would start and end on Wednesday :p

Tues - Thurs for mid week, and Fri (sometimes Thurs) - Mon for weekend!

MoFuzz

Zero Tolerance said:
Yeah, does anyone know about this game? Looks like X-Men Legends meets Smash TV.

Also, LOL @ its "worth playing" award. How nice! I won't be completely wasting my time if I buy it!
More like the old Crusader games meets Aliens than either of the titles you mentioned. You are given objectives and must travel from point a to point b to accomplish them. There are no RPG elements other than a simple upgrade system and it's not arena based with a focus on high score. In fact, think of it more as a top-down version of Dead Space. Don't expect the production values of that game obviously.

I picked up the bundle during the holiday sale for $3.75 or something like that. They're fun games that offer a little something different from the usual duck and cover mechanics nowadays. You have the choice between camera modes with one being tied directly to the mouse (like a modern shooter) or having it tied to aiming with camera controls being seperate.

Yeef

JaseC said:
I'd only consider it true for Worms: Armageddon and Worms World Party. Really, the only noteworthy difference was the range of the levels.
I have to disagree. WWP added WormPOT which is fantastic.

Danneee

MoFuzz said:
More like the old Crusader games meets Aliens than either of the titles you mentioned. You are given objectives and must travel from point a to point b to accomplish them. There are no RPG elements other than a simple upgrade system and it's not arena based with a focus on high score. In fact, think of it more as a top-down version of Dead Space. Don't expect the production values of that game obviously.

I picked up the bundle during the holiday sale for $3.75 or something like that. They're fun games that offer a little something different from the usual duck and cover mechanics nowadays. You have the choice between camera modes with one being tied directly to the mouse (like a modern shooter) or having it tied to aiming with camera controls being seperate.

Tried the demo and have to say it plays a lot like the Alien/Zombie Shooter games, with fewer aliens. It's not really like the Crusader games at all. A nice little game but I'll wait for Zombie Shooter 2 to go on sale instead.
Oh and there are RPG elements in the form of upgrades and levelling, in the sequel at least.

Himajin

Struct09 said:
I like how Tuesday morning is now mid-week :p

They hit Wednesday mornings here in Japan, and finish Friday. I guess given that Steam is a global service they like to cover their bases.

Himajin

Oh, so Shadowgrounds is from the same people who made Trine? I guess for 5 bucks I'll give it a whirl. Pity there's no online co-op.

The Weekend Deal will be Shattered Horizon:

Shattered Horizon Gets Free Weekend on Steam 19 – 21 February

Zero gravity shooter free to play and 50 percent off this weekend

HELSINKI, FINLAND – February 17, 2010 – Futuremark® Games Studio today announced that Shattered Horizon™, their PC exclusive multiplayer first-person shooter, will be free to play and 50 percent off to buy on Steam this weekend. Shattered Horizon's innovative zero gravity gameplay has recently been enhanced by the Moonrise content pack which added four new levels and a major update which included many features requested by players.

Jaakko Haapasalo said:
This weekend PC gamers everywhere can play Shattered Horizon for free. And for the duration of the weekend, even though we recently doubled the size of the game by adding new levels, we are offering it to players for half the price, just $9.95 / €9.95.
In Shattered Horizon, a catastrophic explosion on the Moon has filled near-Earth space with billions of tons of rocky debris. Teams of players fight in zero gravity to control the limited supplies that mean the difference between survival and death in the cold of space as seen in the "Escalation" gameplay trailer.

Moonrise Free Weekend on Steam:
Starts 00:01 GMT Friday 19 February (click link for other time zones)
Ends 21:00 GMT Sunday 21 February (click link for other time zones)
Players can start pre-loading Shattered Horizon from Steam late Wednesday evening onwards.

System requirements:
Shattered Horizon requires DirectX 10, a DirectX 10 compatible video card, and Windows Vista or Windows 7. There is no support for Windows XP or DirectX 9. Minimum and recommended hardware requirements: http://www.shatteredhorizon.com/support/hardwarerequirements/

Dedicated Servers:
Players and game hosting companies who would like to put up their own servers during the free weekend can get the dedicated server files now from the Shattered Horizon website or from the Tools tab within Steam.

About Shattered Horizon
Shattered Horizon is the innovative first game from Futuremark Games Studio that immerses you in the cold reality of zero gravity combat in space.
Multiplayer first-person shooter set in near-Earth space 40 years from now.
Experience intense zero gravity combat and complete freedom of movement. Use your rocket pack to fly freely through space then land on any surface.
Join your friends in action-packed 32 player battles fighting across eight space based levels from hollowed-out asteroids to the ruined remains of the International Space Station.

Shattered Horizon is available now from Steam and the official website: http://www.shatteredhorizon.com/buynow/

###

Keywords and Suggested Tags
Shattered Horizon, Futuremark Games Studio, Moonrise, Steam, first-person shooter, FPS, zero gravity, multiplayer, PC, video game, DirectX10, Windows 7, NVIDIA TWIMTBP

About Futuremark® Games Studio
Futuremark® Games Studio, wholly owned by Futuremark® Corporation, was formed in January 2008 to create original games with new and entertaining gameplay. Shattered Horizon™ is the studio's first self-published game. Shattered Horizon is rated Teen by the ESRB and 16 by PEGI. The game carries the NVIDIA®: The Way It's Meant To Be Played™ seal. Futuremark is based in Helsinki, Finland and maintains a sales office in Saratoga, California. For more information, please visit http://www.futuremark.com/

© 2010 Futuremark® Corporation. Shattered Horizon™ and Futuremark® Games Studio trademarks and logos, Futuremark character names and distinctive likenesses, are the exclusive property of Futuremark Corporation. The names of other companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom