• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

After finally getting Steam at the advice of my roommate, I'm really, really regretting this already. This is not really on the fault of the service itself, but more a string of inconveniences on my end. But perhaps some one here can help me out.

I bought Jade Empire, and after a day of downloading, it at least got to 99%. Regardless, the service said that the game was ready to be played, so I took it up on its claim. Right now, Steam says that the game "will be ready to play in 5 hours." ... Okay, I assume it's the update. I turn the update off, and I still get the "game will be ready to play in 5 hours thing". Okay then... I turn the update back on and let it download for about an hour or two. The download craps out because "Steam servers are busy right now". I reboot, try to redownload, and I'm right back to the "game will be ready to play in 5 hours" message.

Please, please tell me that this is just a one-time, albeit massively annoying, thing.

graywolf323

rezuth said:
Just get another name

Weekend Deal Whores
Oh gawd, my backlog!
Here, take all my money!

etc

hmm.... kinda reminds me of when I worked in a cafe and we'd put movie quotes on the mocha tub whenever we made more (but changed the wording)

I Wish I Could Quit Buying the Deals

it'll have to wait until I get home and can access the Steam Community page

MechaX said:
After finally getting Steam at the advice of my roommate, I'm really, really regretting this already. This is not really on the fault of the service itself, but more a string of inconveniences on my end. But perhaps some one here can help me out.

I bought Jade Empire, and after a day of downloading, it at least got to 99%. Regardless, the service said that the game was ready to be played, so I took it up on its claim. Right now, Steam says that the game "will be ready to play in 5 hours." ... Okay, I assume it's the update. I turn the update off, and I still get the "game will be ready to play in 5 hours thing". Okay then... I turn the update back on and let it download for about an hour or two. The download craps out because "Steam servers are busy right now". I reboot, try to redownload, and I'm right back to the "game will be ready to play in 5 hours" message.

Please, please tell me that this is just a one-time, albeit massively annoying, thing.

I've had that happen once or twice but if the play now button is click-able then just ignore the update thing

Jirotrom

MechaX said:

I've had steam since its release... and never ran into any problems... it has been an amazing service for me so I'll just assume you are a rare case.

panda21

speaking of steam doing weird things, is it normal that it does the installing directx thing every time you launch a game, as well as the first time? it seems quicker after the first time but its a bit weird because it says 'first run' install or something.

Vorador

Banned
MechaX said:

I've had it happened on me a few times. Basically you need to delete the local content of the game, and then download it again. A bit of a pain, but it solved the problem for me. Also it may help you this:

Stop the download
Check the properties of the game, go to the Local files tab.
Click on the "Verify integrity of local files" button.

It will verify your installation, then automatically redownload every damaged file.

Slavik81

panda21 said:
speaking of steam doing weird things, is it normal that it does the installing directx thing every time you launch a game, as well as the first time? it seems quicker after the first time but its a bit weird because it says 'first run' install or something.
Most installers do that, be it through Steam or not. It's unfortunate that Valve hasn't been able to make it seamless...

sol_bad

Thank you guys.
With that link above can I purchase that games for myself or will they revert to the Australian prices?

Wow, Mount and Blade is addicting. I haven't had a compulsion to play a game this much since Civ 4. I just found out there is a Berserk mod for it too. I'm scared I won't leave my house again. :lol

mclem

Narag

Hellsing321 said:
Wow, Mount and Blade is addicting. I haven't had a compulsion to play a game this much since Civ 4. I just found out there is a Berserk mod for it too. I'm scared I won't leave my house again. :lol

And here I was thinkign the reason I sucked was I hadn't named myself Griffith. Time to try that mod out.

Edit: Oh wow, mod makers weren't kidding when they said it emphasized large high speed battles. :lol Pretty awesome from what little I played of it.

Select Gender:
Male
Female
Gutts

Interesting. When a poster on the Steam forums asked if there were any changes to Steam or Steam Community planned, a Valve employee answered with the following:

We add features to Steam almost continuously. GDC is coming up, and we'll have some announcements there, as usual.

IMACOMPUTA

brain_stew said:
If you've got a quadcore its absolutey the best version of an incredibly awesome game. Its the best game I've played so far this year, its everything GTA4 should have been.

Completely 100% disagree.
Let GTAIV be GTAIV, and let saints row 2 be saints row 2.
I'd have been really disappointed if GTA IV were a shallow fart-simulator like SR2.

Jirotrom said:
I've had steam since its release... and never ran into any problems... it has been an amazing service for me so I'll just assume you are a rare case.

I've had Steam since launch and while it's great now I used to have a ton of problems. That was one crazy launch during the HL2 days.

Darklord

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
Completely 100% disagree.
Let GTAIV be GTAIV, and let saints row 2 be saints row 2.
I'd have been really disappointed if GTA IV were a shallow fart-simulator like SR2.

Their both pretty shit. GTA4 has aged abysmally, and SR2 is just an average game based around fun ideas. Give me San Andreas any day.

web01

Hellsing321 said:

omg where can i get this?

Gattsu25 said:
Nah, I'm pretty sure he's right.

I'm all for letting GTA and SR do their own things. GTA can be the series where you go on man dates and SR can be the one where you have fun. But a "shallow fart-simulator"? I think he's thinking of Fable 2.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Darklord said:
Their both pretty shit. GTA4 has aged abysmally, and SR2 is just an average game based around fun ideas. Give me San Andreas any day.
So ridiculous :lol GTA4 is awesome.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently loads of people bought Mount & Blade which caused steam to run out of keys or something because everytime i want to run the game i get a "failed to contact key server", it appears am not the only one with this problem. I am sure they will fix this eventually but it's still annoying.

web01 said:
omg where can i get this?
Its called Revenge of the Berserk, should be a forum dedicated to it on the official Mount and Blade forums with links to download it.

Here's a screenshot of Guts.
2qb6ohi.jpg

Ugh, the GTA argument will go on for all time. Some people love it, some people like it for awhile before moving on, and some will always hate / dislike it. Just leave it.

I'm in the liked at one time, can't play it now group. :p

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
vocab said:
I just gave my 360 to a friend of mine who's a total GTA3 / Vice City / SA freak. He loves it.

Okay, I have both expansions for it, so of course, the game is incredibly meaty from his perspective.

.. you know what, I think you guys are just trolling. Of course you know that GTA4 is one of the most-played games on XBL still. Why? Because it's super-awesome!

Dynoro

fallen_elite said:
DOES NOT COMPUTE
I still play san andreas to this day (driving around and generally doing stupid stuff) whereas I couldn't stand gta4's gameplay at all. GTA4 just wasn't fun for me and SR2's gameplay was much much more enjoyable as well (i treat SR2 as a spiritual successor to san andreas far more than GTA4 could ever be)

Darklord said:
GTA4 had aged worse than SA in my opinion because it uses more recent ideas but a lot more poorly than other games like it. SA is more classic arcadey.
Well that's a reasonable opinion. Gameplay, if its good, tends to stand the test of time. I just don't see how GTA4 aged that badly when the only other sandbox game similar to it is saints row.

IMACOMPUTA

The euphoria engine, the driving physics, and the beautiful city make GTAIV stand in it's own league.
My main complaint, (aside for some clunky cellphone and multiplayer menus) is the combat.
I just find it stiff.

SR2 is just a completely different game. It's cheesy, and appeals to a different type of gamer. I'm in to immersive, narrative based games. SR2 does nothing for me in that respect.
I'm excited to see what they come up with next for GTA, because i know it will only be better than IV, and that alone means it's going to be great.
(very unlikely, but if they could get it running at 60fps that'd be :D )

Arhal_Katarn

crimsonheadGCN said:
Interesting. When a poster on the Steam forums asked if there were any changes to Steam or Steam Community planned, a Valve employee answered with the following:

Interesting.

One thing i am buying a new gaming rig this week and giving my current mid ranger to my gf. If i buy the thq pack and the total war pack can i redownload them on my new pc for free or is there a charge. I know i could back them up on some dvds but that would take forever.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Arhal_Katarn said:
Interesting.

One thing i am buying a new gaming rig this week and giving my current mid ranger to my gf. If i buy the thq pack and the total war pack can i redownload them on my new pc for free or is there a charge. I know i could back them up on some dvds but that would take forever.

DL them onto any computer, as many times for free.

Doytch

Arhal_Katarn said:
Is that done through the my account tab?

Thanks btw.
Just double click them in your Games list, it's just like you did it the first time. You don't need to do anything special./

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom