• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcaneus

Gexecuter said:
Apparently loads of people bought Mount & Blade which caused steam to run out of keys or something because everytime i want to run the game i get a "failed to contact key server", it appears am not the only one with this problem. I am sure they will fix this eventually but it's still annoying.
Ugh, same here. I just went and bought the game after playing the demo all this morning, its heartbreaking. But it seems like they're on top if it.

Apparently FEAR 2 has finally dropped to $19.99. I broke down and picked it up from gamestop earlier in the week for the same price. Now they need to drop the "Reborn" dlc to $5 and all will be well.

kuYuri

Mount and Blade demo has me totally amused. It's funny yet sad that I get my ass handed to me by looters and deserters, then get taken prisoner for several days, then lose my horse and even my armor. :lol

Bought Global Agenda and it's been surprisingly fun. Haven't done any of persistent world stuff though, just the random PVP and PVE missions. It's like a weird combination of TF2 (similar match types and classes), tribes movement (jetpacks), and rpg elementings (leveling, gear, etc).

Is there not an official tread for Mount and Blade? I couldn't find one with a google search.

Also, maybe the game isn't for me, but I enjoyed the tutorials and my first run in with the looters. After that, I just wasn't sure where to go. I assume it is open ended, but I'd like a little direction. Did I miss something?

garath

Calcaneus said:
Ugh, same here. I just went and bought the game after playing the demo all this morning, its heartbreaking. But it seems like they're on top if it.

That happened last time they had the game on sale. Totally worth the wait though. I killed hours and hours and hours in that game.

Yeef

prodystopian said:
Is there not an official tread for Mount and Blade? I couldn't find one with a google search.

Also, maybe the game isn't for me, but I enjoyed the tutorials and my first run in with the looters. After that, I just wasn't sure where to go. I assume it is open ended, but I'd like a little direction. Did I miss something?
No. It's open-ended in the same way that SimCity is. There's no real goal, just a bunch of mechanics for you to play around with. If you're looking for some direction there's a mod called "Story Mod" that adds a narrative to the game. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but you should probably check it out.

Yeef said:
No. It's open-ended in the same way that SimCity is. There's no real goal, just a bunch of mechanics for you to play around with. If you're looking for some direction there's a mod called "Story Mod" that adds a narrative to the game. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but you should probably check it out.

Ok thanks. I actually just played the demo and missed the sale, but I'll play the demo a bit more and maybe pick it up later. Anyone know the end conditions for the demo?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
have to be honest... not really enjoying Mount and Blade... at $5 I don't regret the purchase and do recognize the uniqueness of it... but so far it seems pretty shallow for my tastes.. will give it a bit more time and probably hop on the multiplayer beta.. glad I could give the devs some support but so far just not feeling it.

p.s. I don't get shooting arrows on a galloping horse AT ALL!!!! I imagine it is very similar to how it would be IRL... but yeah, in the tutorial I don't think I hit the target once ever while the horse was moving.

Agnates

Banned
The more you play the more shit open up. When you start you're alone making a living, then you can get a band and defeat enemies you previously run from, then you can get an army and clash against more powerful opponents, then you can work for a King or try to restore a claimant to the throne and start doing bigger tasks like sieges of castles and cities and so on and so forth. Mount&Blade is a lot of things, but shallow it isn't. It's certainly a lot deeper than Pirates! which is the closest thing to it. Imo, all it lacks is decent "end game" stuff or at least a conclusion like the forced retirement in Pirates!, which I hope the expansion will add. Oh, and some more variety in the available quests, as well as increasing the frequence of some of the better ones. But yeah, just raise a half decent army then find a claimant to the throne and help him get his/her kingdom back, that's what I used to find the most engaging aspect of the game back when I started out, there are cool interactions in and out of combat during that.

Raise your archery and horse archery skills. It may be 100% action combat, but stats matter a lot in this game. At level 1, no, you won't be particularly great in that. The wide open crosshair should be a hint at the shot being near impossible to pull off for you. Raise your skills and it will soon be as tight as when you're off a horse. Or try crossbows.

Volcynika

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising Pre-Purchase Now
February 15, 2010, 10:12 am - Valve - General Announcement

Warammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising is now available for pre-purchase on Steam!

When you pre-purchase it you will receive Saints Row 2 free. If you already own it on Steam you can gift it to a friend.

Comes out March 11th, $29.99 (Not sure about other regions)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20570/

brain_stew said:
I'm totally digging this new trend of actual worthwhile preorder bonuses.
Yeah, same. Though I'd prefer it if the free game was somewhat related to the game I was buying. For example, I got Bioshock 1 when I preordered Bioshock 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam said:
NecrovisioN: Lost Company Pre-Purchase Now
February 15, 2010, 10:58 am - Valve - General Announcement
NecrovisioN: Lost Company is now available for pre-purchase on Steam!

With the pre-purchase of NecrovisioN: Lost Company you will receive NecrovisioN for free! Already own it on Steam? Gift it to a friend!

There you go, a pre-order bonus related to the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Volcynika said:
What in the world is NecrovisioN? (can't look now)
Steam said:
NecroVision is a first-person shooter that takes gamers across the frantic battlegrounds of World War I and into a dark underworld of vampires, demons and dark magic.

It's pretty similar to the Painkiller series.

panda21

necrovision sounds fun but its so eastern european that it just refuses to even run on my pc at all. i think it doesnt support x64 and a whole bunch of video cards for no apparent reason :lol

There is an anti-sale up for Star Wars Galaxies:

Valve said:
Star Wars Galaxies 50% Off!
February 15, 2010, 1:32 pm - Valve - General Announcement

Star Wars Galaxies is available for 50% off until Friday to celebrate the addition of the premium plus pack that features all-new in game items including Queen Amidala Transport ship, General Grievous Wheel Bike, AT-RT, Varactyl Mount, Lava Flea Mount, and your own Mustafarian Underground Bunker!

Yeef

prodystopian said:
Ok thanks. I actually just played the demo and missed the sale, but I'll play the demo a bit more and maybe pick it up later. Anyone know the end conditions for the demo?
Once you get the level 6 the game should prompt you to purchase a key. Haven't gotten that high yet myself, but I'm pretty sure you'll keep your character and simply be unable to continue until you do make a purchase. You should still be able to create new characters.

A new game has been added to the Steam store:

Valve said:
Stargate Resistance Now Available
February 15, 2010, 3:17 pm - Valve - Product Release

Stargate Resistance is a fast-paced and deadly 3rd person shooter for control of the entire galaxy! Whichever side you choose, each battle will be one of wits, skill, and reflexes that can decide the fate of the entire galaxy!

Mrbob

Interesting deal for Chaos Rising....I still might go retail for this one if I can input the key into steam and activate like DoW2. I'm really digging the box art for the Chaos Rising box.

Mrbob said:
Interesting deal for Chaos Rising....I still might go retail for this one if I can input the key into steam and activate like DoW2. I'm really digging the box art for the Chaos Rising box.

The expansion is using Steamworks like the original Dawn of War II, so you should be able to activate it through Steam.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
ZombieSupaStar said:
No.

GTA SA/VC/3 were awesome, GTA4 was lucky to have their hype and goodwill to carry it to high reviews scores, its an "8" game total.
I'm not talking about reviews. I'm talking about opinions from millions of people who actually still play the game.

Review scores don't mean anything to me.

vazel

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
There is an anti-sale up for Star Wars Galaxies:
I'm starving for an MMO and I might as well play for 30 days. Does anyone recommend a good starting class? I just want an easy 30 days.

Edit: Looks like I'm going with Commando.

careful

So I just bought the DoW2 expansion, but I don't see Saint's Row 2 anywhere in my games list.. ?? How can I redeem it?

Also, I remember hearing SR2's performance is incredibly shitty on PC. How good will I be able to run this thing with a E8400/GTX260 stock combo 720p/1080p?

Volcynika

careful said:
So I just bought the DoW2 expansion, but I don't see Saint's Row 2 anywhere in my games list.. ?? How can I redeem it?

Restart Steam. If it doesn't show up then, send in a support ticket. (Also if you already have it, check the games button at the top, select manage gifts and guest passes)

zedge said:
Anyone tried this Stargate shooter? Looks like a budget title.

I grabbed it off Direct 2 Drive when it got released last week. I'm a big Stargate fan and I wanted to support the developer because they've gone through some shit while making Stargate: Worlds (the MMO). This game is essentially them trying to get some more money to fund that, so I had to chip in.

That being said (and bear in mind I've playd 45 mins tops) it's not a very good game. Considering it doesn't look all that great it ran like shit for me till I lowered some settings, it's unreal engine too and I've had no troubles with that before, Arkham Asylum run pretty perfectly.

It seems reeeeeeeeeeeeally unbalanced, the Goa'uld classes seem to be incredibly overpowered, the Jaffa can continuously fire where as the human equivalent of solider has to reload every few seconds.

Maybe it'll improve or I just need to play it a bit more to get a feel for it but what I played I didn't like, it was fairly empty at the time too but I imagine that should change with it being on Steam and having been out a week now.

careful said:

Also, I remember hearing SR2's performance is incredibly shitty on PC. How good will I be able to run this thing with a E8400/GTX260 stock combo 720p/1080p?

Its unplayable on a dual core machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom