• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

It was $5 for the holiday deal =/ I'll play the free weekend to see the new maps, but man I can't spend $10 on this game.

Good time for more SH players, the latest update helped make the game run smoother too (I was able to crank up the settings without a big hit like before) so I hope this brings in more gamers.

*edit* I spent the full price on the game and I love it, worth supporting the devs.

firehawk12 said:
If I want to drive in a video game, I have Forza 3 and GT5:p. Hell, maybe I'll even buy 5 360s and hook them up together so I can make a fake cockpit with a fake racing chair.

There's nothing fun about restarting an entire mission (because checkpoints are for pussies) because you fuck up a corner and 5 cop cars smash into you. And I say that as someone who bought both TL&D and TBoGT. I want to like the game, but maybe I'm too much of a "want to have fun" type of guy to deal with it anymore.

Volition has a good formula and with Red Faction and Saints Row, they're aiming for the type of gameplay was GTA used to stand for. But then again, I guess this becomes a semantic debate on the nature of "fun". Yeah, it's entirely subjective, but I have more fun with Saints Row and Crackdown than I ever did with GTA4 - "Oscar worthy" script included (and trust me, I'm happy that a couple of white guys from England managed to make a game/expansion pack about a Latino and a gay man in a strange business driven platonic relationship).

And hey, even if you want to excuse the driving as "realistic" - the shooting, the jam A to run mechanic and the cover mechanic were outdated when the game came out.

Edit: One wonders why we're having this debate in a Steam thread of all places. It's probably the Volition/old school GTA fanboy in me. :lol

I think maybe the difference in opinions on GTA4's handling comes down to kb/mouse vs. controller. Since you said you payed the DLC it's obvious that you played it on the 360. For me the car handling with a keyboard was great. The cars weight was a little off but overall I have a blast driving in the game. And the weight distribution problem feels like its due to whatever R* did to keep the cars from rolling over, I think it made cornering a little too soft. Hopefully that's fixed for the next game. Overall though GTA4 was by far my favorite GTA to drive in.

crimsonheadGCN said:
The Weekend Deal will be Shattered Horizon:

Success!

I have been looking for a guest pass or hoping for a free weekend for this game ever since I installed Windows 7. Hope it runs decent on a 4850.

MoFuzz said:
More like the old Crusader games meets Aliens than either of the titles you mentioned. You are given objectives and must travel from point a to point b to accomplish them. There are no RPG elements other than a simple upgrade system and it's not arena based with a focus on high score. In fact, think of it more as a top-down version of Dead Space. Don't expect the production values of that game obviously.

I picked up the bundle during the holiday sale for $3.75 or something like that. They're fun games that offer a little something different from the usual duck and cover mechanics nowadays. You have the choice between camera modes with one being tied directly to the mouse (like a modern shooter) or having it tied to aiming with camera controls being seperate.

I missed out on Crusader (looked....cheesy) but I am familiar with Lords of the Realm, which looks about the same. Or maybe we're thinking different crusaders?

This

http://www.pwned.com/gamecovers/pc/eb5a23ec48918c73e8a72a6b77b3c4cd-Stronghold_Crusader.jpg

or this?

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Crusader No Remorse/Images/1-crusaderboxart.jpg

Also, I looked at the Zombie Shooter game you described and that reminds me of Bedlam with the isometric style.

Ah, Bedlam. That was such a long time ago!

graywolf323

crimsonheadGCN said:
The Weekend Deal will be Shattered Horizon:

it's not unusual for Steam to have a weekend deal that isn't also the free weekend game

Shattered Horizon will have a deal for sure due to the free weekend but doesn't mean it's the only deal we'll see this weekend

graywolf323 said:
it's not unusual for Steam to have a weekend deal that isn't also the free weekend game

Shattered Horizon will have a deal for sure due to the free weekend but doesn't mean it's the only deal we'll see this weekend

True, there will probably be another deal alongside it.

I <3 Memes said:
Success!

I have been looking for a guest pass or hoping for a free weekend for this game ever since I installed Windows 7. Hope it runs decent on a 4850.

It should run well on a HD4850. I get around 60FPS with an E8400, 8GB RAM, XFX HD4850 1GB, and Vista 64 @ 1024x768 (It's because I have a 7 year old Dell 17" CRT Monitor). I think there is a FPS cap though at 61 FPS.

rezuth said:
Is Stargate worth the money? I want to support them but I'm not sure there will be a online community after one week.

Couple of posts I made about it earlier in the thread:

randomlyrossy said:
I grabbed it off Direct 2 Drive when it got released last week. I'm a big Stargate fan and I wanted to support the developer because they've gone through some shit while making Stargate: Worlds (the MMO). This game is essentially them trying to get some more money to fund that, so I had to chip in.

That being said (and bear in mind I've playd 45 mins tops) it's not a very good game. Considering it doesn't look all that great it ran like shit for me till I lowered some settings, it's unreal engine too and I've had no troubles with that before, Arkham Asylum run pretty perfectly.

It seems reeeeeeeeeeeeally unbalanced, the Goa'uld classes seem to be incredibly overpowered, the Jaffa can continuously fire where as the human equivalent of solider has to reload every few seconds.

Maybe it'll improve or I just need to play it a bit more to get a feel for it but what I played I didn't like, it was fairly empty at the time too but I imagine that should change with it being on Steam and having been out a week now.

randomlyrossy said:
It's all objective based stuff, there's 3 maps, 2 are capture the point type things and one is a capture the flag variant. There's also a meta-game element where wins for each faction go toward a ticker of who has control of that planet, I believe the winning faction gets some bonuses for it too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I <3 Memes said:
I think maybe the difference in opinions on GTA4's handling comes down to kb/mouse vs. controller. Since you said you payed the DLC it's obvious that you played it on the 360. For me the car handling with a keyboard was great. The cars weight was a little off but overall I have a blast driving in the game. And the weight distribution problem feels like its due to whatever R* did to keep the cars from rolling over, I think it made cornering a little too soft. Hopefully that's fixed for the next game. Overall though GTA4 was by far my favorite GTA to drive in.

Maybe. I have the PC version but didn't even bother trying it after reading about some of the optimization issues. I just remember times when I'm in a 3 or 4 star chase that I had a bitch of a time escaping... which just isn't as much of a problem in San Andreas or Saints Row.

Nabs

you may be able to preload shattered horizon now. i never deleted it after playing w/ the gift pass, and it just started updating for me

Nabs said:
you may be able to preload shattered horizons now. i never deleted it after playing w/ the gift pass, and it just started updating for me
ooh hope so, want to play against people not 3 star generals who snipe you across the map all the time.

TheExodu5

Banned
I <3 Memes said:

I'm finding that the combination of keyboard + mouse (easy to look and drive independently) and the higher framerate is making driving a lot easier on the PC.

Valve said:
Shattered Horizon Free Moonrise Weekend - Pre-Load Now!
February 17, 2010, 12:42 pm - Valve - General Announcement

In celebration of the release of the Moonrise Content pack featuring four all-new maps Futuremark Games Studio is having the Free Moonrise Weekend event starting February 18th 4:00 PM PST until February 21st at 1:00 PM PST.

Begin pre-loading Shattered Horizon now and be ready to play the minute the Free Moonrise Weekend begins!

Note: Shattered Horizon requires DirectX 10 or higher and Windows Vista or Windows 7 in order to run.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3469/

Anksta

LovingSteam said:
Does anybody know if there is a way to turn off notifications so your buddies cannot see what games you are buying?

The only way I know of is to go Offline in your friends list. There isn't even an invisible mode.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think you can control what goes up on Steam community, other than making it private. I think I have a friend who has their profile set to private because I don't think I have ever seen them on my feed for achievements or purchases. Lovingsteam wants to hide the ridiculous games he buys from Gaf like Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader :lol

Stallion Free said:
I don't think you can control what goes up on Steam community, other than making it private. I think I have a friend who has their profile set to private because I don't think I have ever seen them on my feed for achievements or purchases. Lovingsteam wants to hide the ridiculous games he buys from Gaf like Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader :lol

You bastard!!! Outing me like that! :lol :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Hey, I have been doing pretty good the last month! No purchases at all. Give a Steamaholic a break, sheesh :D

That's good, I won't lie I buy a lot of games as well, but the only time I buy random shit is when it's stuff like X-COM on sale for 2$ and I know some of the games in the package are quite respected. I have no shame in my Steam games list.

Stallion Free said:
That's good, I won't lie I buy a lot of games as well, but the only time I buy random shit is when it's stuff like X-COM on sale for 2$ and I know some of the games in the package are quite respected. I have no shame in my Steam games list.

Yea, the holiday sale taught me a nice lesson. Wait for the games that are $40-50 to go on sale, the games that are $30 only buy if you MUST have day 1, and the games that are $20 and below are fair game. I wouldn't buy S:COP for $30 but I am heavily considering getting it at $20. Same with the add on for Dawn of Discovery.

If you don't at least try Shattered Horizon this weekend then just go ahead and turn in your PC gamer badge. The game is a love letter to all that is possible on the platform and deserves better support.

Struct09

SmashBrosAwesome said:
How do I pre-load Shattered Horizon? The link in the news post just takes me to the game page, and I don't see anything there.

I had to restart Steam to get it to preload

EDIT: Posted the same time you did :p

panda21

brain_stew said:
If you don't at least try Shattered Horizon this weekend then just go ahead and turn in your PC gamer badge. The game is a love letter to all that is possible on the platform and deserves better support.

i think this will take off with the free weekend, it will have loads of people playing, a lot of whom will buy it, especially if its on sale

Discotheque said:
Game looks really fancy. I'm preloading now. What's the Clan pack? Is that similar to the 4-pack or something?

Yes, the Clan Pack is just another name for a four pack, so if you buy that this weekend during the 50% off then it will be $29.99 for the pack or $7.50 per copy.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well the Shattered Horizon free weekend is going to fail horribly. Just loaded it up for the first time in a while.

I'm in Canada, Ontario. Eastern North America basically.

There are 3 servers in the entire game. 3 servers. The lowest ping is 220ms. The game is dead.

TheExodu5 said:
Well the Shattered Horizon free weekend is going to fail horribly. Just loaded it up for the first time in a while.

There are 3 servers in the entire game. 3 servers. The lowest ping is 220ms. The game is dead.

damn i am from Toronto too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TheExodu5 said:

That's a negative. I'm coming up with 30+. 5 under 100ms, but a lot seem to be West-coast or something (200ms).

vocab

TheExodu5 said:

LOL really? When I played with a guest pass there were tons of servers.

panda21

Lyphen said:
That's a negative. I'm coming up with 30+. 5 under 100ms, but a lot seem to be West-coast or something (200ms).

i'm only getting 3, did they change it to only show servers with people in with the patch? i'm not seeing the flight training servers which is odd

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wait, nevermind. Only 3 are showing up, but all was fine earlier today (~3PM EST). Looks like the master server is messing up or something. Better get that fixed soon. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom