• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Macmanus said:
Am I right to assume that if I'm not a huge JRPG fan to stay the hell away from LR?

TLR is very different and divisive even amongst jRPG fans (you're looking at a game with a 60 metacritic but also a vocal fanbase that thinks it's the best RPG of the generation). Maybe you'd like it, maybe you wouldn't.

The GAF official thread touches on many of its idiosyncrasies if you want to check that out.

Erasus

I like The Last Remnant, but I am not double dipping on it xD Have it on PC already.

That said, is the Tomb Raider games worth it? Will be playing with KB/M as sixaxis drivers shits all over the place in Win7 x64 ;_;

Macmanus

Dr. Zoidberg said:
There's a demo available on steam if you're interested in giving it a shot.

Thanks, Doc. I'll give that a whirl.

My biggest turn off from JRPGs is child like hero and pubescent to maturity allegorical tale a lot of them seem to house. LR doesn't really seem to have that going on so I think I might find enjoyment in it.

Lime

The download rate is going extremely slow. And I can't even play Dow2 in offline mode, because the files are being updated.

It's so fucking stupid they haven't enabled optional P2P transfer between clients yet.

Doopliss

TR: Anniversary is a great platformer but you can find it cheaper elsewhere (at least in the UK). I would hold off now but if you've ever enjoyed a Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia you should definitely play it at some point.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lime said:
The download rate is going extremely slow. And I can't even play Dow2 in offline mode, because the files are being updated.

It's so fucking stupid they haven't enabled optional P2P transfer between clients yet.
Yeah, I was downloading at 20-30kb/s until I switched to Germany as my content area (I am in the UK). The DoW 2 patch is now sailing along at 2megabyte per second, lovely.

I hope FFVII will have minigames speed set to default, so I won't get blazing speed on the highway during the escape.

I have both original FFVII and FFVIII on PC, so I will be buying it on Steam. :D

Also, just saw TLR. 20EURO? No sale.

krzy123

Macmanus said:
Am I right to assume that if I'm not a huge JRPG fan to stay the hell away from LR?

In the JRPG genre its probably one of the most funniest games I've played (most definately top 5 for the battle system alone), but the story is downright beyond terrible. It is a challenging game imo compared to most JRPGs. Then again I got when it was $10 on a weekend sale quite some time ago.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Macmanus said:
I had never played a JRPG before. I picked TLR up when it was on sale - against the Gaf advice I asked for - and steam lists my total playtime as 0.8hrs. 0.8 incomprehensible hours.

poppabk said:
I had never played a JRPG before. I picked TLR up when it was on sale - against the Gaf advice I asked for - and steam lists my total playtime as 0.8hrs. 0.8 incomprehensible hours.

You should give it another shot. I'm not a fan of JRPGs by any means, and the characters/story in this game is pretty grating even by JRPG standards, but the turn based combat is actually quite fun once you get the hang of it. Just do something else when the cutscenes are playing. It's better that way.

I stopped after 16 hours or so because I couldn't beat this one boss and, well, Dragon Age happened :lol

But I do want to go back to it at some point though.

Rubezh

I got a quick question about favourites and custom categories in the UI beta. Is this all on Steam Cloud or is it only local?

Yen

Slightly off topic question here but I am not much off a PC gamer (Addicted to Football Manger but that's it), but would 1.8 GHz and 1.5 RAM be okay for Half Life 2 Ep. 1? Would that run well? The minimum spec for HL2 Ep1 is 1.2 Ghz.
The Orange Box seems tempting.

kamspy

Yenrot said:
Slightly off topic question here but I am not much off a PC gamer (Addicted to Football Manger but that's it), but would 1.8 GHz and 1.5 RAM be okay for Half Life 2 Ep. 1? Would that run well? The minimum spec for HL2 Ep1 is 1.2 Ghz.
The Orange Box seems tempting.

What's your video card?

Yen

kamspy said:
What's your video card?

AMD Sempron 3000+. I was assuming if it could play FM2010 it could play a 4 year old game(FM being the cutting edge of technology!). As I've said before I'm not a PC gamer but I was playing the Orange Box on a friends 360 and enjoyed it.

Sloegr

Yenrot said:
AMD Sempron 3000+. I was assuming if it could play FM2010 it could play a 4 year old game(FM being the cutting edge of technology!). As I've said before I'm not a PC gamer but I was playing the Orange Box on a friends 360 and enjoyed it.

The Sempron is your CPU, not your video card.

3rdman

Yenrot said:
Thanks but I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably play it safe and buy Half Life 1.
EDIT: Graphics card is DirectX 8.
The Steam engine is very scalable...I'm sure it'll run but you may have to settle for a lower resolution to maintain a stable framerate.

dLMN8R

LovingSteam said:
It's coming but no clue when. Here is a theory I have and it may be DEAD wrong; we will see when FF14 is released on Steam.
Maybe it'll be added for the end of this week of sales? We'll see!

squinters

astigmatic
DietSnapple said:
semi-offtopic but mount & blade is on gamersgate for $5

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TWMB/mount-and-blade

I missed the steam sale on it, is it worth a pickup?
Abosolutely, some of the best money I ever spent when it was on sale on Steam. A little advice though, don't be discouraged by getting continuously robbed by theives for the first hour, as once you build up a your own small band of soldiers the game really starts opening up and becomes super addicting.

Oh, and download this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378518

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'd say M&B is one of the best games of the last few years.

And I'm not your tigsource-F5ing indie-whore.

That being said, tigsource is alright!

5 bucks is a super-awesome price for the game. Check out some mods also once you've got the hang of it, believe me, it's worth your time if you like what you've played in the stock campaign!

ne1

Bah. If they would've sold the TRs for €5 a piece, I would've snatched them all in a heartbeat and if the pack was €20 I'd most likely bitten too. But at almost €30 for the pack? I'm having a hard time convincing myself to add them to my steam backlog, even though I'd like to.
Should I just admit defeat and buy them anyway, even though I probably won't play them for a couple of months, or should I gamble on them being cheaper in some sale in a somewhat graspable future?

Zinga

Banned
got the new Steam BETA, aesthetically its great but in terms of user interface I don't know if its better than the old one. I might as well get use to it now though.

Zinga said:
got the new Steam BETA, aesthetically its great but in terms of user interface I don't know if its better than the old one. I might as well get use to it now though.
It was a bit too much for me at first but now I am rather use to the new layout, we are going to be forced to use it at some point in the future anyway.

Dynoro

Zinga said:
Seems a little flakey with Favorites lists atm - i've lost mine 3 times already. But then again it is a beta and this is how it gets tested. I do like the new layout and design though; and getting download sizes is a lovely addition.

Just please please stop the automatic video playing when browsing the store :lol

Volcynika

Square Enix, Eidos Week Day Four

Save up to 66% off Gyromancer and Mini Ninjas until 8 AM PST tomorrow!

Package for $15.29

Individual

Gyromancer: $7.49
Mini Ninjas $14.99

Rur0ni said:
Once you have over 6GB of memory, you don't even think about it anymore.
I have 4 gig and have yet to max it out with any game or regular software I use, even 3dsmax. But for older systems it's a little bit of a shame, my old pc can claim to that one.

Not interested in today's games, only FFVII for £3.99 can save us now.

Twig

Banned
If Batman is 10 or lower I will buy it.

But considering how not-fantastic these deals have been so far, I doubt it will happen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Twig said:
If Batman is 10 or lower I will buy it.

But considering how not-fantastic these deals have been so far, I doubt it will happen.
I can almost guarantee that it will be higher than the GFWL deal, the same at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom