• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firestorm said:
I'm thinking they might end the week off with Final Fantasy VII and VIII release with discount.
It seems the registry is right on with the schedule so far so no FF. They were added to one section but not the soon to be released one.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Slo said:
2GB patch? WTF
Doytch said:
Hmm, mostly CR interoperability then, I guess?
It contains 9 new maps, 5 new units, the entire Chaos faction to play against in multiplayer and two Last Stand Heroes (last two are unavailable to play if you don't own the expansion).

DMPrince said:
these deals suck.
Yeah, we are spoiled so they do seem to suck.

I'd like TR:A but for $9.99? If I hadn't already played it on the 360 it might be worth it. I'd pick it up for $5 but $9.99 is not worth it for a game I played already.

Edit: Is the 360 controller support good? (Trying to rationalize a potential purchase. :D )

dynamitejim said:
Tomb Raider bundle is only $28. Picked it up since I've been meaning to catch up on these games.
As a TR fan, I'd say it is well worth it. I love the Crystal Dynamics TR games. But I've already got Legend & Underworld on Steam. And played all of them already on the 360.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
crimsonheadGCN said:
It seems like Chaos Rising is now launching at midnight EST and 9PM PST tonight.
i don't get it. just say it comes out on the 11th then. i had time to play today too that i won't have tomorrow oh well have come to expect this by now. seems like it's trying and failing to pre-load right now and also won't let me play dow2 either

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
AstroLad said:
i don't get it. just say it comes out on the 11th then. i had time to play today too that i won't have tomorrow oh well have come to expect this by now. seems like it's trying and failing to pre-load right now and also won't let me play dow2 either
The launch date is the 11th. Always has been.

gregor7777 said:
Sorry. What I should have written is that we think it's coming based on the new registry entries which list FF7 (also listed the packages that are now on sale).

Ah.

I'd thought Square Enix stop acknowledging that Final Fantasy VII and VIII were released on PC at some point.

Guess not.

Hasphat6462 said:
Ah.

I'd thought Square Enix stop acknowledging that Final Fantasy VII and VIII were released on PC at some point.

Guess not.
With DD growing stronger I am sure we will see a lot of pc classics hitting for cheap at some point, plus I am sort of excited to play FF7 again :lol had the ps1 copy but disc 1 got scratched by a friend and since then I lost it/threw it out.

So which one of the TR games is the best? I am going to download the demo for underworld once Steam lets me(middle of the DoWII patch so it wont even queue up)

I really don't have time nor the need for 3 new games so I just want to get one of them.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, we are spoiled so they do seem to suck.

I'd like TR:A but for $9.99? If I hadn't already played it on the 360 it might be worth it. I'd pick it up for $5 but $9.99 is not worth it for a game I played already.

Edit: Is the 360 controller support good? (Trying to rationalize a potential purchase. :D )

Plug and play for all of them. The PC versions of the modern Tomb Raiders are all great, they're a great deal at that price.

BudokaiMR2 said:
So which one of the TR games is the best? I am going to download the demo for underworld once Steam lets me(middle of the DoWII patch so it wont even queue up)

I really don't have time nor the need for 3 new games so I just want to get one of them.

Probably Anniversary, they're all worth playing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BudokaiMR2 said:

I would recommend Anniversary the most. It's an absolutely incredible remake and looks/runs gorgeously. St. Francis' Folly is in my top 10 favorite levels.

brain_stew said:
Plug and play for all of them.

They also have great rumble support on the 360 controller (that's the only controller I can speak for).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TR:U has a great camera glitch where climbing walls will cause the camera to slow zoom in ever closer to Lara's ass. You lose sight of the environment and where to jump, but it's still a nice view.

Just sayin'.

Lyphen said:
TR:U has a great camera glitch where climbing walls will cause the camera to slow zoom in ever closer to Lara's ass. You lose sight of the environment and where to jump, but it's still a nice view.

Just sayin'.
That is a glitch?

BudokaiMR2 said:

They are all pretty good. Underworld is the most recent and has a really nice graphical upgrade over the other two. But all three have pretty good gameplay.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lyphen said:

That's a feature, not a glitch :lol :lol

Lyphen said:

Just sayin'.

That sounds like a feature.

Edit: Beaten lol

speculawyer said:
They are all pretty good. Underworld is the most recent and has a really nice graphical upgrade over the other two. But all three have pretty good gameplay.

There's that to consider as well. Underworld is bloody stunning at times, see:

tru2009-01-2604-53-43-aa9o.jpg

Runs smooth as butter at 1080p on anything better than a 8800GT as well.

panda21

i hated whichever was the latest TR

i got to the point where you were going into bullet time to shoot tigers in the face with an AK47 and emptying an entire clip into them wouldn't kill them and thought fuck this stupid shit. i know the combat isnt the most important thing but the rest of it was pretty weak too despite looking promising at first. the climbing just feels bad compared to uncharted/ass creed/infamous etc

whichever one was a remake of the original or something was fun though.

kamspy

I rented Underworld on 360 when it came out. The decision to make the first level the "water/swimming level" was a poor choice. Never bothered to finish it but I saw some promise in the game.

Can someone assure me there is no more swimming after that first god awful mission? The mechanics seem pretty sound otherwise.

Also, for a guy who hasn't found a JRPG he's liked since PSX, is Last Remnant worth a go? I'm interested if it's a simple turn based system like FFIX or Skies of Arcadia (last two JRPGs I liked). I'm in the mood for some discount JRPG action. I like a story with big macho western type characters too. Don't want to invest 40 hours if the main guy is depressed, lost and emotional. Just doesn't connect for me anymore.

kamspy said:
I rented Underworld on 360 when it came out. The decision to make the first level the "water/swimming level" was a poor choice. Never bothered to finish it but I saw some promise in the game.

Can someone assure me there is no more swimming after that first god awful mission? The mechanics seem pretty sound otherwise.

No, there is some more swimming. The swimming ends pretty quickly in that first level . . . and most of the game does not involve swimming. But there is another swim section near the end.

I didn't mind the swimming. But if you don't like it you can take heart that it really is a minority of the game.

Asparagus said:
Was hoping Last Remnant would be £7.50 like last time :/ Just checked gamestracker and Gameplay have it back in stock for £9.98.

Steamworks title as well, so no good reason to spend an extra £5 on the Steam version.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Mrbob said:
Well you get most of the multiplayer expansion stuff for free so quit crying. :p
Oh, I thought Steam had cacked out and was re-downloading DoW 2 for some reason.

Free stuff is always welcome, cheers Relic!

As for the week of Square Eidos, I own TLR (And bought it for half the sale price from Steam last year), Anniversary and could (but forgot at the time) buy Underworld for £5, no sale.
Lyphen said:

Just sayin'.
You say that as if it's a bad thing.
Hasphat6462 said:
Ah.

Guess not.
Funnily enough, they were published (on PC) by Eidos, so any rights issues that may have existed were nicely swept away with SE gobbled them up.

I'm expecting a KOTOR like dumping of FF VII/VIII with zero Windows 7 support etc, but am hoping that we see some effort put into it. It'd be slightly ironic that after all the squealing about a potential FF VII remake Steam gets an enhanced version of the PC edition for dirt cheap.

A new game called I'm not Alone has been released. Here's the description:

Get ready for the spine-chiller of the year! Playing an intrepid exorcist in this thrilling action adventure, you are summoned to an old mansion haunted by a supernatural force. Once on the site, sheer horror awaits you: Terrible demons have risen from hell and are spreading fear and terror! Now it is up to you to put an end to their sinister doings. With a quick trigger finger and a keen power of deduction, you make your way through the mansion and eventually discover a horrifying secret… Are you prepared to save mankind?

• Cinematically told story guaranteed to creep you out
  • Dozens of types of enemies and weapons make for variety
  • Dynamic light, shadow, and camera effects
  • Realistic and highly detailed graphics, thanks to the powerful S2Engine
  • Logical puzzle design and engaging close combat
  • Several difficulty levels

I would have picked up Underworld if it had been cheaper. I might have even gotten the TR bundle (and double dipped on the other TR games) if it had been a compelling price. These are barely deals.

krzy123

brain_stew said:
Steamworks title as well, so no good reason to spend an extra £5 on the Steam version.

What qualifies it as a steamworks game? it doesn't do achievements or any sort of stat tracking. I just beat the game + all dlc bosses with 121 hrs logged D: (awesome game though, very addictive battle system)

krzy123 said:
What qualifies it as a steamworks game? it doesn't do achievements or any sort of stat tracking. I just beat the game + all dlc bosses with 121 hrs logged D: (awesome game though, very addictive battle system)

The Last Remnant has Steamworks integrated for DRM purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom