• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN90

xyla said:

You can get download keys for EA DD on eBay or g2play for 20-25€. Buying on Steam for double price would be hella stupid imo.

EA's DRM isn't too bad either. You can download as many times as you want on up to 5 unique PCs. I don't even want to know what kind of life you are leading if that's not enough.

deleted

NIN90 said:
You can get download keys for EA DD on eBay or g2play for 20-25€. Buying on Steam for double price would be hella stupid imo.

EA's DRM isn't too bad either. You can download as many times as you want on up to 5 unique PCs. I don't even want to know what kind of life you are leading if that's not enough.

I would not pay more than double; that would be way too much, but if I can get into a US-4 pack its around 28,10 EUR for me. There are also some steam-keys on ebay below 20 EUR, but I can´t help to think that there´s some illegal stuff going on.

speculawyer said:
So if you already own valve PC games (Orange Box, L4D, etc.) will you be able download & play on the Mac when the Mac versions become available?
Yes. All Valve Source-engine games support 'Steam Play' allowing you to play the games you own on one of the platforms.

Twig

Banned
NIN90 said:

Imagine if Commander Keen had that DRM back when it came out.

I wouldn't be able to play it today. I've gone through way more than five PCs since then.

Now imagine years down the line not being able to play some game you bought from EA because you have built too many new PCs or upgraded too much.

Yeah.

I admit it's probably not as big a problem with a multiplayer game like BC2, because it will just be surpassed by other multiplayer games (maybe even in the same series), but some multiplayer games last forever. Counter-Strike? Quake? Team Fortress 2, for sure, will be one of those games for me.

ne1

I and two friends would be up for getting in on a pack of BFBC2 if someone in the uk wants to get it.

Edit: Gowans007 helped us out, many thanks to him!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Gowans007 said:
I'm in the UK, pm me. Would it not be cheaper getting it gifted from a US Gafer?

I think that's correct since the uk store uses the pound or euro or whatever.

EDIT: oh i see now, the goty edition of batman is only out on the Uk store o maybe only europe that's why he needs a uk gaffer.

Twig

Banned
Who here has Burnout Paradise on PC and knows how to turn off that stupid annoying Criterion Games website popup every time I start the game? Is there just some obvious option I'm missing? I can't find anything and that popup ruins DXWND's ability to keep Burnout in windowed mode. ):

Chiaroscuro said:
Anyone in UK wanna help me to get Batman GOTY? It is not available here. I can send money by paypal. Thanks!

I will throw a free copy of the original Bioshock in the mix for anyone who helps me. Thanks!

ne1

Gowans007 said:
I'm in the UK, pm me. Would it not be cheaper getting it gifted from a US Gafer?

Actually it's cheaper in the UK, which quite a few games have been lately:
US: $149.97
UK: £89.97 (10% lower)
EU: 149,97€ (34% higher)

PM sent.

Gowans

Just went in with a 4 pack with ne1 and his buds :) Lovely, double dipping at that price with the 360 one I've had since release, great game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Twig said:
Who here has Burnout Paradise on PC and knows how to turn off that stupid annoying Criterion Games website popup every time I start the game? Is there just some obvious option I'm missing? I can't find anything and that popup ruins DXWND's ability to keep Burnout in windowed mode. ):

I struggled with this for weeks before I figured out a solution, dumb as it is...

Turn off your internet right after you start up the game. Without being able to log in, it won't connect to the Burnout online servers, and thus won't open that stupid fucking popup. Then once you're actually driving around in-game turn your internet back on and you can connect and play online fine, even in a window.

Truly a stupid move, as I love playing games in a window and this was bugging the crap out of me.

Twig

Banned
Hawkian said:
I struggled with this for weeks before I figured out a solution, dumb as it is...

Turn off your internet right after you start up the game. Without being able to log in, it won't connect to the Burnout online servers, and thus won't open that stupid fucking popup. Then once you're actually driving around in-game turn your internet back on and you can connect and play online fine, even in a window.

Truly a stupid move, as I love playing games in a window and this was bugging the crap out of me.
Daaamn I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do that. :lol

GG, Criterion. GG.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Quake midweek madness sale is up, all quakes games in a 15 dollar pack which not bad but i'll pass since i have almost no money left :lol (saving it for a SR2 sale)

vocab

Quake deal sucks. Id say wait for The ID super pack to go sale. It's just a better deal.

AI War is so not my cup of tea. I played the demo for a few minutes, and that was enough for me.

Valve is asking the community to help translate Steam to other languages: http://translation.valvesoftware.com/

Now you can help translate Steam!

The Steam user community consists of over 25 million people around the world who run Steam in one of 21 languages. We do our best to translate everything for everyone, but we admit it's difficult to keep pace. With your help, Steam can now become fully localized in each of the 21 languages we support.

As a participant in Steam translation, you'll have access to all text elements within Steam's Client application, Store, Community, and even Valve's games. You'll have the tools you need to view what items are in need of translation, suggest translations of your own, and submit feedback on other translators' work. To participate, simply link your Steam Account with this site. Once logged in, you'll find all the information you need to get started. As you gain experience in providing translations and submitting feedback, you may become a language moderator yourself, guiding and approving other translators' contributions.

Below you'll find a list of current text elements, or "strings" in need of translation, plus a graph displaying the overall translation status of all language files within Steam. You can see there's much work to be done, and we're glad you're here to help - Your contribution to Steam translation will impact users worldwide.

This is currently a closed beta, with participants by invite only.

Scipius

crimsonheadGCN said:
Valve is asking the community to help translate Steam to other languages: http://translation.valvesoftware.com/

Well, I've linked my account, but it's still a closed beta at this point; I can't do anything yet.

I love how there's actually 22 languages. It doesn't show up in the language selection in Steam itself, but apparently there's a Pirate translation that's 15% done. I'm surprised there's no Klingon translation listed...

randomwab

Gexecuter said:
I heard that Quake 1 & 2 have no music, can anyone confirm? that would really suck for people that buy those games.

Yeah. If you read the Quake section on the Steam forums, there's a way to get the music to play. It's all to do with the audio being redbook on those games.

Javaman said:
Railworks is expanding it's marketing. Next DLC will be a Train model replacement for the payload in TF2.
or not
The best Payload replacement I have seen is a donkey/horse with TNT around it's seat buckle :lol it actually walks forward too when near it! I think it had sound effects but it was too hectic to hear anything at the time.

Javaman

Diablohead said:
The best Payload replacement I have seen is a donkey/horse with TNT around it's seat buckle :lol it actually walks forward too when near it! I think it had sound effects but it was too hectic to hear anything at the time.

Have you seen pl_frontier? It's a moving platform you can stand on with a giant robot head that munches on people who get in the way. Good stuff. :)

When did the Penny arcade stuff drop in price? Are they worth the 5$?

randomwab said:
Yeah. If you read the Quake section on the Steam forums, there's a way to get the music to play. It's all to do with the audio being redbook on those games.
Will do! *Oh, I need to burn it... was hoping for a way to mod it in or something.
Prophet Steve said:
Why is there no QUAKE IV in the QUAKE package. :(
A better question would be: "Why isn't Quake Wars in the Quake package!?", then we could all blame Activision.

Awakened

Danne-Danger said:
Will do! *Oh, I need to burn it... was hoping for a way to mod it in or something.
You can use the darkplaces and kmquake2 source ports to get ogg rips of the music to play in both games.

I think the AI War sale might be in preparation for the next expansion, since it says on the upcoming games portion of their site, "Q1 '10: AI War Expansion 2."

Then again, that's after a Q4 '10 game, so maybe they meant Q1 '11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom