• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

can't speak for the PC version but MW2 multiplayer is a fairly big upgrade over 4.

does the matchmaking work the same as the console version where you choose the game type?

tbh i prefer auto matchmaking. like in plainsight, i just want to be able to choose a game type, and have it automatically put me on a server with free spots and a low ping, instead of having to pick through a long list trying to find servers with free spaces and a good ping.

vocab

gregor7777 said:
I read your post. And I still disagree. Custom content is a major selling point for me when I buy PC games. MW1 having very little custom content does not mean it couldn't have been better with MW2. Maybe the tools were shit? Perhaps the community just wasn't there. I don't know, but perhaps those things could have been improved with the sequel.

I can't imagine the state one must be in to defend the removal of a lot that makes PC gaming great, but this is GAF and we'll defend just about anything. No offence to you in particular.

You're right about the community. The COD community is crappy. They just move on to the newest game all the time. People made mods for the Competitive scene, and that was as good as it got. Maps on the other hand, are crappy. People try to port mp_harbor, or mp_nueville, and they end up translating poorly.

panda21 said:
can't speak for the PC version but MW2 multiplayer is a fairly big upgrade over 4.

does the matchmaking work the same as the console version where you choose the game type?

tbh i prefer auto matchmaking. like in plainsight, i just want to be able to choose a game type, and have it automatically put me on a server with free spots and a low ping, instead of having to pick through a long list trying to find servers with free spaces and a good ping.

Yes, its matchmaking and P2P on the PC as well.

I'd preload but the link in Steam doesn't seem to be working for me?

CryptiK

randomlyrossy said:
It is by no means a bad game, you clearly just don't like it for whatever reason, presumably you had a bad experience with it.

It's all well and good to say you don't like a game but calling it outright bad is just stupid, no idea why you're so upset about it but whatever the reason there's no need to troll.
Sigh Im not trolling.. I played COD4 since release moving to CODMW0.1 was horrid people exploiting and hacking all over the place. This is not a troll understand that CODMW2 for PC is horrible and doesnt deserve to be on PC it was clearly made with Consoles in mind only and ported to PC for $$$ a bad game is a bad game COD4 is a good game and thats how CODMW2 should have been but it wasn't. paying an extra $40 to downgrade from COD4 is not a great option but its the option people will choose I chose it and my god was I pissed.

vocab

randomlyrossy said:
It is by no means a bad game

It's the most unbalanced MP game since Perfect Dark. The maps are some of the worst in the COD franchise. It has every right of being called bad.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
vocab said:
What is this deadzone?
On an analog stick developers will disable the lightest amounts of input to prevent camera shake or unintended movements. This circular disabled range around center position is called the "dead zone" for the controls. Dead Space here is living up to it's name because you have to push the stick pretty damn far before it begins to register anything.

vocab

gregor7777 said:
What would you do with the key? You can't register it with Steam AFAIK.

Isn't it pretty obvious what to do with key? You download the game, and play some multiplayer with said key. You can play the singleplayer without a valid key, so....

Of course this means you are going beyond the realm of paying for games, and steam in general. I'll leave it at that.

CryptiK

vocab said:
Isn't it pretty obvious what to do with key? You download the game, and play some multiplayer with said key. You can play the singleplayer without a valid key, so....

Of course this means you are going beyond the realm of paying for games, and steam in general. I'll leave it at that.
Buying a key is still buying the game. Just without the CD's unless you were referring to your comment about Single Player.

vocab

CryptiK said:
Buying a key is still buying the game. Just without the CD's unless you were referring to your comment about Single Player.

You are right, it is still buying the game. You are just getting the files else where.

Dice said:
On an analog stick developers will disable the lightest amounts of input to prevent camera shake or unintended movements. This circular disabled range around center position is called the "dead zone" for the controls. Dead Space here is living up to it's name because you have to push the stick pretty damn far before it begins to register anything.

oh. Seems like controller support is pretty crappy then.

hamchan

gregor7777 said:
So you'd have to download the game off some pirate site to get the files to go with your legit key? Sounds pretty shady.

Or maybe you can borrow the discs from a friend. The CD key is the most important part, not the data since you can get that anywhere.

hamchan said:
Or maybe you can borrow the discs from a friend. The CD key is the most important part, not the data since you can get that anywhere.

Yeah, I suppose you could. Seems like very few people would have friends with the discs. Anyway, OT. I was just curious.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gregor7777 said:
I can't imagine the state one must be in to defend the removal of features that make PC gaming great, but this is GAF and we'll defend just about anything. No offence to you in particular.

I'm just saying that it isn't a critical purchase or no purchase when it comes to getting games. Yeah you get some games that have great mod communities like ARMA, but that is one case in 20 and a good game should be able to stand on it's own merits. By your standards I shouldn't purchase Mass Effect 2 simply because it doesn't come with an editor for custom content.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'll be honest, the only games I'd care to mod are RPGs. I hate most custom TF2 maps (I only play Vanilla servers, 24 players, bitch!), and I never liked skins in MP games. So modding COD:MW2's multiplayer wouldn't be a selling point.

P2P gaming, however, sucks ass and I can barely stand it as it is in RTSes (500Kb upload sucks). I'm not wasting my download cap on MW2's MP.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
I'm just saying that it isn't a critical purchase or no purchase when it comes to getting games. Yeah you get some games that have great mod communities like ARMA, but that is one case in 20 and a good game should be able to stand on it's own merits. By your standards I shouldn't purchase Mass Effect 2 simply because it doesn't come with an editor for custom content.
No, we're just talking about MW2 here. And dedicated servers are clearly more important when it comes to a competitive FPS.

Dropping both features and charging $10 more for it will always be a dick move. Fuck Activision.

Stallion Free said:

I don't remember saying anything of the sort. I said it was a major selling point for me, because I tend to play the same games for years. Custom content extends the life of my games, and that weighs in to my decisions.

Maybe you have me confused with the person that started this discussion.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
epmode said:
No, we're just talking about MW2 here. And dedicated servers are clearly more important when it comes to a competitive FPS.

Dropping both features and charging $10 more for it will always be a dick move. Fuck Activision.

Gregor and I weren't talking about dedicated servers, we were debating the lack of mod tools.

No one is forcing you to play as Steam stated and oh snap it's fucking free for you to try out before you go take a massive shit on it. However, if you haven't even played the game and don't because of your "principles," stop posting about how much you hate it. We all got out our no dedicated server rage in the thread about there not being dedicated servers. And the mod tools complaint is stupid for this game, MW2.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
However, if you haven't even played the game and don't because of your "principles," stop posting about how much you hate it.
I'd love to but I have this medical condition that forces me to bitch about shitty anti-consumer practices. Don't worry, It's not contagious. You seem to be immune anyway.

ksan

Stallion Free said:
If we assume that's true, why do you play MW2? :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gregor7777 said:
We'll have to agree to disagree here. No need to call other people's opinions stupid however.

Mod tools are only as good as the mod community and the CoD mod community died with United Offensive. I won't bother arguing it anymore.

And for the rest of you, I truly believe that MW2 is a very enjoyable game. It was worth every penny of the 60$ I paid. The singleplayer is a thrill ride that has some awesome set pieces. It has some of my all time favorite levels and it has great replayablility. The spec ops missions are incredibly tense and fun (especially on Veteran). The multiplayer has mostly great maps, even more enjoyable weapons than MW1 and a lot better community to play with than the consoles. I rarely encounter racist or irritating people who excessively use their mics, never encounter glitches, and have only ever seen a nuke used once. I'm on my second prestige and I still have a blast playing (unless I run into a team that is made up of a bunch of clan buddies who are wayy better than me). I have no more lag issues than I do in other games. But this is all just the opinion of someone who has played the game.

Twig

Banned
I am enjoying how out of place an argument about Activision's shitty policies feels in a thread about Valve's awesome services.

Let's amp up the irony hell yeah.

For the record, I was pretty interested in MW2 (I skipped MW1 when it came out and didn't really want it until after MW2 was announced). Then they decided to be fuckheads. And considering how many other better games are out already, I'm not going to put up with their bullshit.

Yay. :3

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
How many of you think that along with the MW2 free weekend there will be a weekend sale of MW2 as well? i am pretty sure there won't be one knowing Activision :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gexecuter said:
How many of you think that along with the MW2 free weekend there will be a weekend sale of MW2 as well? i am pretty there won't be one knowing Activision :lol

There may be one, but I wouldn't expect more than 25% off, which would still make almost as much as other "full-priced" retail PC games.

mrgone

Gexecuter said:
How many of you think that along with the MW2 free weekend there will be a weekend sale of MW2 as well? i am pretty there won't be one knowing Activision :lol

They're giving us the game for free for an entire weekend! It'd be greedy of us to expect a discount after that. Come on, man. Be a world citizen and love your benevolent Activision magnates. They've proven again and again that they know what is best for us as video game enthusiasts.

MoFuzz

Dice said:
Okay I tried it again and it worked (strangely the menus instantly became 20x faster). I have a 5850 so they probably updated issues with that since I last tried it. However, while the lag is gone, the game does have a huge deadzone. Is there anyway to tweak that?
I assume you are playing it with a gamepad? Preferably a 360 one which supports the button prompts & rumble.

Regardless of which pad you use, there are a few programs you can use to adjust stick settings. I used Xpadder myself and after some tweaks, found it to work quite well. Version 5.3 is the last freeware edition. The author has started charging $10 for subsequent revisions. Here's a linky for the latest free one.

vocab said:
oh. Seems like controller support is pretty crappy then.
It's really quite fine if you are using a 360 pad plus the above mentioned program to tweak if you aren't satisfied with how it feels. It's nothing to miss the game over if you haven't tried it.

KiKaL

Lyphen said:
I'll be honest, the only games I'd care to mod are RPGs. I hate most custom TF2 maps (I only play Vanilla servers, 24 players, bitch!), and I never liked skins in MP games. So modding COD:MW2's multiplayer wouldn't be a selling point.

P2P gaming, however, sucks ass and I can barely stand it as it is in RTSes (500Kb upload sucks). I'm not wasting my download cap on MW2's MP.
The reason tf2 exist is because of game modding

M.J. Doja

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Mod tools are only as good as the mod community and the CoD mod community died with United Offensive. I won't bother arguing it anymore.

And for the rest of you, I truly believe that MW2 is a very enjoyable game. It was worth every penny of the 60$ I paid. The singleplayer is a thrill ride that has some awesome set pieces. It has some of my all time favorite levels and it has great replayablility. The spec ops missions are incredibly tense and fun (especially on Veteran). The multiplayer has mostly great maps, even more enjoyable weapons than MW1 and a lot better community to play with than the consoles. I rarely encounter racist or irritating people who excessively use their mics, never encounter glitches, and have only ever seen a nuke used once. I'm on my second prestige and I still have a blast playing (unless I run into a team that is made up of a bunch of clan buddies who are wayy better than me). I have no more lag issues than I do in other games. But this is all just the opinion of someone who has played the game.

Fourzerotwo, is that you?

I kid.

Who wants to get a 4pack organized of Plain Sight? It would come to 7.50 bucks a person, around 2 dollars cheaper than if you bought it yourself. So far me and Crooked Rain are interested if we can get down on this. Only two people on my friends list own it right now.

Inkwell

Banned
Twig said:
For the record, I was pretty interested in MW2 (I skipped MW1 when it came out and didn't really want it until after MW2 was announced). Then they decided to be fuckheads. And considering how many other better games are out already, I'm not going to put up with their bullshit.
This is exactly what happened with me. Besides the $60 price tag, I was thinking about jumping into MW2 because I missed out on the first one. After all the bullshit about no dedicated servers or custom content I decided to skip it.

I just saw the whole free weekend thing and decided to skip it because I know there's no way I'll make the purchase. I'll just stick with TF2 for my online shooter fix for now.

mrgone

I've pretty much arrived at the same conclusion, but alas there's no way to make the download stop short of shutting down Steam with all the messed up preload nonsense. Activision knows best, I guess :/

edit: preload's fixed it seems! Restart Steam if it's still invisibly downloading for you

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
M.J. Doja said:
Fourzerotwo, is that you?

I don't know if 402 remembers they released the game on PC :lol

Also, what's your Steam name and BC2 name? I see you fairly often in game with Crooked so I thought I would friend you.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I don't know if 402 remembers they released the game on PC :lol

Also, what's your Steam name and BC2 name? I see you fairly often in game with Crooked so I thought I would friend you.

Hahah, yeah we gotta play, add me asap. names are:
steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/doja/ (name is M.J. Doja on there but i dont know if that brings me up)
EA: M.J. Doja

Javaman

mrgone said:
They're giving us the game for free for an entire weekend! It'd be greedy of us to expect a discount after that. Come on, man. Be a world citizen and love your benevolent Activision magnates. They've proven again and again that they know what is best for us as video game enthusiasts.

How long does it take roughly to blow through the single player part of the game? I'm not at all interested in the MP, but the free weekend might be a good chance to beat the game. (Unless they lock out the SP)

Oreoleo

Javaman said:
How long does it take roughly to blow through the single player part of the game? I'm not at all interested in the MP, but the free weekend might be a good chance to beat the game. (Unless they lock out the SP)

Steam said:
Pre-Load Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 now and be ready to play the full multiplayer game for free starting Thursday at 4 PM PDT.

Makes it sound like SP will be locked out. To answer your question though, about 8-10 hours. Want Metro 2033? :D

mrgone

Javaman said:

Orellio said:
Makes it sound like SP will be locked out. To answer your question though, about 8-10 hours. Want Metro 2033? :D

Steam forum posts mention the preload's ~4 gigs, and I've read in the past that the full game's a 12gig install, so I think Orellio's right about that wording

Twig

Banned
Davidion said:
Alllllllllllmost tempted. Game's like Stalker, no?
Similar setting, but from everything I hear it's much more linear. Still good, though.

I'd buy it if it was ten or less. It's a rule I'm keeping until I beat more of the games I already own, hah.

Davidion

Twig said:
Similar setting, but from everything I hear it's much more linear. Still good, though.

I'd buy it if it was ten or less. It's a rule I'm keeping until I beat more of the games I already own, hah.

Yeah same here, though Orellio repeatedly shooting me in the face in that game of TF2 the other night really didn't help his case.

Javaman

Orellio said:

Oh well, forget that then.

I'll have to pass on Metro. The last thing I need is a game that'll make me want to upgrade again right away.

So . . . how does one pre-load MW2 for the free weekend? I can't seem to figure it out.

I doubt my system will be able to handle it but I may be able provide some easy kills for others. :lol

jersoc

speculawyer said:
So . . . how does one pre-load MW2 for the free weekend? I can't seem to figure it out.

I doubt my system will be able to handle it but I may be able provide some easy kills for others. :lol

pretty sure the links are broken. I have restarted steam and tried lots of times and nothing is working.

Nabs

yeah, you'll probably have to wait for them to flip the switch. it should be in your account page for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom