• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloegr

wmat said:
Commandos is a lovely franchise. At least the first two are classics.

There is a thread on the Steam forums about Behind Enemy Lines running too fast and having save game issues. Anybody here have the Steam version of the game?

drizzle said:
You could get the Disk in which you bought AvP back in 2000 and put it on your PC to play. I could work or it couldn't. It could be slow as molasses (SimCity 4 has that issue) or it could be too fast (no hard limit on frames).

In a case of very unfortunate timing, I actually got the CD version of AvP (2000) from Goozex 6 months ago (it was only 100 points and I was on a horror-game binge). It actually ran natively at 1600x1200 without much fiddling on my XP-32 system, which was good, but as soon as an alien appeared (I started the Marine campaign) the framerate dropped to 2 and stayed there. I didn't really try to fiddle with it anymore. Now it doesn't matter!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
LovingSteam said:
No. An actual deal. They say pick any game that is $30 and below and you will receive 50% off. Allowing the customer to still benefit from a weekend deal even if they were to have that one game that is on sale. But as I said, it isn't feasible due to Valve needing the publisher's ok for a deal not to mention the back end trouble of making sure that each game would receive the discount.

This is a good idea. But then the list of all games <30 dollars (or whatever dollar amount you prefer) would be rather long considering the amount of games that really are <30. I'm assuming most people would just stick with the most popular ones unless they really have their heart set on one game in particular.

If valve could get multiple publishers on a midweek madness like a "Pick one, its 50% off!" type deal then that would be pretty amazing.

MoFuzz

LocoMrPollock said:
Bought AvP.. played it for about 20 minutes.. sick as a dog now.

Something about these old fps games.
TouchMyBox said:
You're a brave man, I lasted about 20 seconds.
Lies, you both quit out of fear and you know it.

Game over man, Game over!

benita

Banned
Ok, all the Conviction buzz has convinced me to go on a SC blitz and since i've long lost/sold my previous copies, i've decided to pick up the back catalogue on steam. So, 2 questions:

1. I can't seem to find Pandora Tomorrow on steam. Is there a reason for this or am I just blind?

2. I can see the Ghost Recon pack but not the SC or Tom Clancy complete packs. Any chance of these coming back?

Just bought Commandos Collection... such a great franchise.
I played Behind Enemy Lines & Men Of Courage, and now I'm gonna treat myself with the other two :3

Everyone who likes planning strategies and synchronizing actions, should buy the game.

Edit: Damn my english :(

benita said:
Ok, all the Conviction buzz has convinced me to go on a SC blitz and since i've long lost/sold my previous copies, i've decided to pick up the back catalogue on steam. So, 2 questions:

1. I can't seem to find Pandora Tomorrow on steam. Is there a reason for this or am I just blind?

You're not blind but I don't know why it's not there. Ubi for some reason has been selective and erratic about putting their back catalog on Steam; Chaos Theory wasn't added until long after Double Agent.

If you never played it before, you're not missing much, it's basically a rehash of the first game--not bad, but nothing all that new either. It's really uneven too; some levels are awesome (train), some are horrible (Jerusalem). And the MP doesn't work anymore because Ubi shut down the servers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Formality: Please

Request: Help me get Steam to stop asking me to do the same update

Reward: Assistance in multiplayer games and, if in proximity, nachos

Lime

ElJuice said:
There is a thread on the Steam forums about Behind Enemy Lines running too fast and having save game issues. Anybody here have the Steam version of the game?

Anyone care to answer the above question? I am currently running W7 64-bit.

rohlfinator said:
I wonder if it's smart enough to only download the extra content if you already have the base game. GTA IV on it's own is ~15GB; that would be insane if it doubled.

Not exactly smart. It seems to follow the DoW2 way of doing expansions. The base game has everything, and the expansion is just an unlock on Steam. I only have the vanilla GTA4 and there was a huge update today.

Hawkian said:
Formality: Please

Request: Help me get Steam to stop asking me to do the same update

Reward: Assistance in multiplayer games and, if in proximity, nachos

Are you in the Steam UI beta? If so then that updates nearly on a daily basis and the changelog is not shown prior to updating it. It will only show the changelog from March 2, 2010.

Oreoleo

Chiaroscuro said:
Not exactly smart. It seems to follow the DoW2 way of doing expansions. The base game has everything, and the expansion is just an unlock on Steam. I only have the vanilla GTA4 and there was a huge update today.

The GTA4 update was to add support for Gay Tony and Lost & Damned, among other things. The Episodes expansion on Steam is separate from your GTA4 game and is something like a 15GB download. Downloading the expansions in-game through the GFWL marketplace does tie them to your GTA4 file and brings the download down to 6GB or so. Just fyi.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Are you in the Steam UI beta? If so then that updates nearly on a daily basis and the changelog is not shown prior to updating it. It will only show the changelog from March 2, 2010.

Oh jeeze really? Here I'm thinking my Steam client is busted and is trying (and failing) to install the same update over and over again.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
LocoMrPollock said:

Yeah, from what I remember AvP moves REALLY fast and has an awkward POV. Then again, I haven't played the game in, like, 6 years...

vocab said:
GTAIV: EFLC now has Securom with a 15 install limit.

balls.

It's much worse than that, at least according to a poster on the Steam Powered User Forums:

NTAuthority said:
It has SecuROM, and in a worse way than GTA IV had: EFLC also uses DFA (Data File Activation) which encrypts 90% of the game's data files, making them unable to be read or altered.

IMACOMPUTA

Wow. The latest GTAIV patch pretty much ruined the game for me.
Mods don't work.
I've lost like 10~ FPS.
The game has a weird stutter to it when driving.
And textures flicker like crazy.

I recommend NOT downloading the newest patch.

Salacious Crumb

crimsonheadGCN said:
It's much worse than that, at least according to a poster on the Steam Powered User Forums:

Rockstar never wanted GTA IV to be mod-able. Every time they release a patch it removes what ever new little loop hole people had found to mod it after they removed the last loop hole. I'm not saying it's right, I think it's shit, but Rockstar locking down the Eps as hard as possible shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Mods don't work.

That was intentional.

Salacious Crumb said:
Rockstar never wanted GTA IV to be mod-able. Every time they release a patch it removes what ever new little loop hole people had found to mod it after they removed the last loop hole. I'm not saying it's right, I think it's shit, but Rockstar locking down the Eps as hard as possible shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

That was intentional.

And them someone else will come a long and find another hole. BTW, was the Steam version of GTA 4 (prior to the patch) moddable?

Dynoro

TouchMyBox said:
You're a brave man, I lasted about 20 seconds.
I managed about 10 minutes but was quite ill after. A real shame though as I loved AvP back in the day; guess I'm an old man now though. Commandos pack is a steal; double dipping on the first game to get the whole pack on steam (the 3D one was trash though iirc).

IMACOMPUTA

LovingSteam said:
And them someone else will come a long and find another hole. BTW, was the Steam version of GTA 4 (prior to the patch) moddable?
Yeah it was.

Annnnd now my game crashes whenever i leave my apartment. Fuck this shit.

LocoMrPollock said:

I quit playing the Alien campaign after about 5 minutes. Holy shit. It moves way too fast. The warped perspective and wall-climbing make it even more headache inducing.

My sound is also screwed and from my playtime years ago, that was gave it so much atmosphere. Are there any music/sound effects sliders i'm not seeing? Cos the music right now is so loud that it drowns out the gun and tracker sound effects.

Lumine

The commands games are good games. Quite a few levels require a lot of patience though, you have been warned. :p

I would double-dip at 2 euro's for the convience of having them on Steam. I still have them lying around here though, so at 5euro's I think I'll pass.

Really wish Steam would let me add cd-keys for more games, especially older ones.

1-D_FTW

Man, I bought GTA 4 for 4.99 and still haven't downloaded it off Steam. Figured I would wait till I bought a new GPU. I can't believe the crap publishers are pulling this gen.

EDIT: I think it was 4.99. It's pretty bad when you have a bunch of untouched games and you can't even remember the prices paid. Pfft. Steam sales.

Daigoro

buh, am i nuts or did one of the Commandos games disappear overnight?

is the 1st game in the series just called Commandos? thought i was looking at its store page last night and now im not seeing it.

edit: i think im just nuts. Behind Enemy Lines is the 1st one, right?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Daigoro said:

is the 1st game in the series just called Commandos? thought i was looking at its store page last night and now im not seeing it.

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines is the full title. Just searched the Store and it's still there.

Playbrains has confirmed that Madballs in... Babo: Invasion will have a free weekend starting on Friday and the game will be on sale for $2.49:

winterwalker said:
MiBI Steam Free Weekend! Apr 16-18!
by winterwalker on Apr.12, 2010, under MiBI

Hi folks,

We’re pleased to announce that at long-last, our Steam Free Weekend is a go!

For those who don’t know, this is a week-end where our game is completely free to play on Steam for anyone to try! Sure, we’ve always had a free demo for MiBI - but it’s limited to single player. On a free weekend, everyone gets access to the full-game - full-campaign and full multiplayer!

There’s no better chance to try our little indie hit Madballs in…Babo:Invasion (79 Metacritic), and it will be on sale too (75% off!) - so there’s no better time to buy it either!

The free week-end is *this* week-end - April 16th - 18th.

To ramp things up this week, we’ve got new missions for you!

• Community Maps - in addition to the Pinch Point map that you guys are well on the way to unlocking, we also have the new Refinery map
  • New skins - and we continue with 3 new Clan skins to earn: Clan Robo, Clan Magmor, and Clan Eidolon!

As a special request/favour, we ask that anyone who has hosted dedicated servers before consider hosting one for this week-end… if things go as planned, there will be tons of folks trying out our game this week-end - and we’d like as many of them to be able to play as possible! Thanks a bunch!

Anyway, we thank all of your for your continued support of Babo:Invasion… we hope that this free week-end adds tons of new Cubes for y’all to play with! Be sure to tell your friends!

Paul.

An employee of Tragnarion Studios has confirmed that there will be a four pack for The Scourge Project: Episodes 1 and 2 starting this Friday:

trag.support2 said:
This Friday at 10AM PST!! 4 copies for the price of 3!!!!

"Buy The Scourge Project: Episodes 1 and 2 - Four Pack - Includes four copies of The Scourge Project: Episodes 1 and 2 - Send the extra copies to your friends" for only €44.97, £38.97, $59.97.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14438202&postcount=3

coopolon

Daigoro said:

edit: i think im just nuts. Behind Enemy Lines is the 1st one, right?

Pretty sure the first game was Behind Enemy Lines. The one game missing is Strike Force, but it sucked so...

Any idea how long midweek sales last till? I need to mull over whether I want to buy this pack. I know it's absurd, only $5, but my Steam backlog is already so freaking full, I am very reluctant to add more to it.

coopolon said:
Pretty sure the first game was Behind Enemy Lines. The one game missing is Strike Force, but it sucked so...

Any idea how long midweek sales last till? I need to mull over whether I want to buy this pack. I know it's absurd, only $5, but my Steam backlog is already so freaking full, I am very reluctant to add more to it.

The midweek sales generally last till Thursday afternoon.

tjohn86

Can anyone who has bought the commandos pack say how they hold up on modern systems?

Im interested but if its gonna be 640x480 stretched to 1080p im gonna pass.

NIN90

Commandos 2 is worth the price alone. It's so good. Here's my old RTTP thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372279

tjohn86 said:
Can anyone who has bought the commandos pack say how they hold up on modern systems?

Im interested but if its gonna be 640x480 stretched to 1080p im gonna pass.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16028

Keep in mind that the very first tutorial mission plays on a VERY small map and won't display correctly on anything past 1024x768 (there's black borders everywhere, but its still very playable and it's like only 5 minutes long) BUT OTHER MISSIONS ARE FINE.

Hey guys,
I just purchased a bunch of components on amazon and got free steam code for Assassain's Creed2. Problem is I already have this game on PS3 and I'm 80% the way through (no way im going to restart to play the prettier PC cousin). So I'm proposing a trade.

I'd trade this Assassin's Creed2 steam code to anyone willing to gift me GTA:liberty city stories on steam ($30).

Essentially, buy Assassain's Creed2 on PC for $30. PM if you're interested.

Rubezh

vocab said:
GTAIV: EFLC now has Securom with a 15 install limit.

balls.

After a bit of searching on Google, apparently all GFWL games have 15 activations as standard.

What the does this mean for other GFWL games on Steam? Why wern't they listed as having 15 activations? Fallout 3? Resident Evil 5? Kane and Lynch?

RedSwirl

Is the demo for Commandos 3 Gold a good representation of the series?

Also, does AvP (2000) hold up well enough to be worth my time?

Seanbob11

RedSwirl said:
Is the demo for Commandos 3 Gold a good representation of the series?

I'd really have to say no, I'm not 100% sure though, it's been a while since I played Commandos 3. I think that the first 3 were great, and commandos 3 let the side down. I bought the pack for the first 2 alone, it's certainly worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom