• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
tjohn86 said:
Can anyone who has bought the commandos pack say how they hold up on modern systems?

Im interested but if its gonna be 640x480 stretched to 1080p im gonna pass.
they all can be set to 1024x without "hacking" (see NIN)

They run great, even on my tablet notebook. The only issue I noticed is the FAAAST animation of the cursor and the icons in the first game! It's only the cursor and the icons.

@RedSwirl: there is a demo for Commandos 1 as well
http://downloads.gamezone.com/demos/d1973.htm

Tim-E

Dark Void Zero is out on Steam for $5, and if you like 8bit-style games, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume you will enjoy the hell out of this.

BeeDog

BeeDog said:
Awesome! Do the Commandos games support HD resolutions (like 1920x1080)? If so, I'll immediately buy the pack.

Quoting myself. Could someone please do me the favor of checking? If they support widescreen monitors, I immediately want to buy the bundle. :D

NIN90 said:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16028

Keep in mind that the very first tutorial mission plays on a VERY small map and won't display correctly on anything past 1024x768 (there's black borders everywhere, but its still very playable and it's like only 5 minutes long) BUT OTHER MISSIONS ARE FINE.

About this...
I don't have problems with the resolution, what's been bugging me is that the game runs to damn fast :lol It's imposible to do some misions going this fast.
So, is there a way to run the game with a fps limiter? I tried cpukiller but it's pretty unstable. And I've seen a loader of tha game that has fps limiter but the download url was broken :(

DisenLedZep said:
About this...
I don't have problems with the resolution, what's been bugging me is that the game runs to damn fast :lol It's imposible to do some misions going this fast.
So, is there a way to run the game with a fps limiter? I tried cpukiller but it's pretty unstable. And I've seen a loader of tha game that has fps limiter but the download url was broken :(

Did you try forcing vsync on with a refresh of 60hz, that helps sometimes.

LocoMrPollock said:
Did you try forcing vsync on with a refresh of 60hz, that helps sometimes.

The game doesn't give me the option.
How can I force vsync on a game on Steam?

BTW, I tried Compatibility Mode and Affinity to one core only... nothing works :(

Valve has moved to a new master server for games that support the Steam server browser:

On Wednesday April 14th we will be moving the HL2Master servers to a new set of IP addresses. One of the major new features is the new Masters should return dedicated servers ordered by their geographical distance from the player requesting the server list, making for lower latency and better connections.

Dedicated server operators will generally have to restart their dedicated servers after this move to ensure they will correctly pick up the new addresses of the these Masters. The server browser in the Steam client and in games such as Team Fortress 2 will automatically move to the new Masters.

Server operators that manually set their master servers (we recommend against this practice however) please use "hl2master.steampowered.com" to refer to them instead of the IPs directly. This name returns all Master addresses.

We will update once the move is complete.

Ok, got it solved. Steam forums were really helpful.
I used this solution: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225253
If you're having problems with the game speed, check that thread.

Also, if you have problems with the saving/loading and creating profiles:

For Commandos Behind Enemy Lines add the following to Commando.cfg

.SIZE [ .INITSIZE 3 ]
.PROFILE [ .USER 0 ]
.DEVELOP 1

For Commandos Beyond The Call Of Duty just add:

.DEVELOP 1

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Truthfully i would not recommend the first Commando game if you can't stomach trial and error gameplay, the game is brutal in later missions. Fuck i think i spent hours in mission 8 realoding at least 100 times, oh and the game has 20 missions. I think the sequels are much easier tough.

MoFuzz

Gexecuter said:
Truthfully i would not recommend the first Commando game if you can't stomach trial and error gameplay, the game is brutal in later missions. Fuck i think i spent hours in mission 8 realoding at least 100 times, oh and the game has 20 missions. I think the sequels are much easier tough.
How does the save game system work in the Commando games? Are there traditional quicksave/save slots that you can load up at any time? Or does it use checkpoints?

NIN90

NIN90 said:

Keep in mind that the very first tutorial mission plays on a VERY small map and won't display correctly on anything past 1024x768 (there's black borders everywhere, but its still very playable and it's like only 5 minutes long) BUT OTHER MISSIONS ARE FINE.

Anyone else having this problem after doing the widescreen hack? This happens everytime when I scroll. Maybe is it because I used a No-CD patch that was made for the 1.0 version of the game (I doubt it tho)? What's the latest version on Steam anyway?

MoFuzz said:
How does the save game system work in the Commando games? Are there traditional quicksave/save slots that you can load up at any time? Or does it use checkpoints?

It uses traditional saves.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
MoFuzz said:

In the first Commando game you can save & load anywhere using multiple slots, that's good because i think it's pretty much impossible to pass later missions without saving and reloading.

IMACOMPUTA

RedSwirl said:
Is the demo for Commandos 3 Gold a good representation of the series?

Also, does AvP (2000) hold up well enough to be worth my time?

I'd say no.
I had been thinking about buying it for a while, and when i saw it was only $2 i pulled the trigger.
Played it for 15 minutes and i highly doubt i'll ever play it again.

Hawk SE

Thanks for the AvP Classic 2000 impressions.

I was on the fence, now I'm gonna stay on my side where it's safe. Even for $1.99, doesn't seem worth it.

IMACOMPUTA

Yeah, even if it were free i wouldn't really recommend it.
For me, any time that I have to play games is precious.. I don't really have time to play through a bunch of old games when there are new things coming out all the time that I'm interested in. I guess its nice to have in a collection, but i'd be really surprised if i ever get any use out of it.
And I'm a graphics whore.

seems that the ui beta is ending in the coming weeks http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate
We've been working on a Steam UI update which will enhance the way you already buy and play games, adding more info about the things that matter — getting games, playing them with friends, and staying current in the gaming world. This new version of Steam will be released to all users in the coming weeks.
Hope this mean mac steam very soon :D

1-D_FTW

So we have to upgrade? I went back to the normal interface because loading Steam went from around 40 seconds to what seemed like 5 minutes. It's not like I'm resource bound either. I think it's just XP choking on being given too many tasks to manage.

IMACOMPUTA

NIN90 said:
Oh sweet. I thought that would be just some marketing spin when I heard that they want to implent it post release.

Is it populated at all?
I tried multiplayer and the interface is terrible.
Also, it was pretty empty at like 5pm.

Truespeed

Now why would Capcom infect their classic 8-bit inspired Dark Void Zero with SecuROM? They should have stayed within the period and used an 8-bit copy protection scheme.

Minsc

Gold Member
IMACOMPUTA said:
Yeah, even if it were free i wouldn't really recommend it.
For me, any time that I have to play games is precious.. I don't really have time to play through a bunch of old games when there are new things coming out all the time that I'm interested in. I guess its nice to have in a collection, but i'd be really surprised if i ever get any use out of it.
And I'm a graphics whore.

So am I, but I find there's seemingly no shortage of older games worth my time (AvP 1 is definitely towards the bottom of my list though). It's just a matter of picking the ones that transcend the graphics, and are unequaled still today. Or just damn fun!

AvP1 is great. The marine campaign is pretty dated but the alien campaign is as great as ever. No other game really gives you that kind of freedom of movement.

Also they finally implemented infinite saves, so this version is infinitely better than the original.

Hawk SE

Duders, DARK VOID ZERO is awesome 8-bit fun. I recommend it for those who have nostalgia for it, hell, to those who even played Dark Void.

Downloading Zombie Driver, should be good too..

Beat Hazard Now Available!
Product Release - Valve

Welcome to a new experience in gameplay mechanics: Beat Hazard

Gameplay Powered by YOUR Music!

Experience your music collection like never before with this intense music driven arcade shooter. Each of your songs will have its own unique ebb and flow based on the music.

Power up your spaceship and watch as the music boosts your firepower. Unleash hell on the enemy ships when you max out with weapon pickups!

Beat Hazard seamlessly mixes the love of gaming and music. Together they become greater than the sum of their parts.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3701/

Druz

NIN90 said:
Commandos 2 is worth the price alone. It's so good. Here's my old RTTP thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372279

Can't get this to work

Buy Sam and Max Penal Zone Before April 23rd. you get Team fortress 2 Items.

max_ears.jpg

Max's Severed Head
It's not often you're given the gift of a beloved character's decapitated head by the very studio responsible for that character. Still, we're not complaining. It's soft, it wicks away moisture in the heat of battle, it highlights our eyes. It's got us thinking about all the other game characters we could be wearing around as clothes.

Max's Pistol
Who wouldn't want to squeeze off a couple rounds with the murder weapon of choice of a sociopathic cartoon rabbit? Probably quite a lot of people, when you get right down to it. Luckily, those people are all well-adjusted contributors to society with no police records, spotless credit ratings and few unresolvable moral failings. They also probably have no interest in playing TF2, so that means more murder-rabbit gun shooting for the rest of us.

Sam's Revolver
This might look like an ordinary revolver, until you realize that it helps a talking dog solve crimes. How many crimes has YOUR dog solved lately? And let's face it, his revolver kind of sucks too. Man, we want to talk about this gun more, but we can't get over how much your dog sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom