• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volcynika said:
Sorry, I have a great excuse!

(Already own it)

Well apart from that one (I do as well)! :lol

Even if you have the disc version it was still worth the $5/£3 before for all the modern conveniences they added.

Even if you're a die hard consolite you've got no good reason to pass this up, it plays just fine on a low end netbook at native resolution and has full native 360 controller support.

Easy_D said:
Like what? Steam Rentals?

No. An actual deal. They say pick any game that is $30 and below and you will receive 50% off. Allowing the customer to still benefit from a weekend deal even if they were to have that one game that is on sale. But as I said, it isn't feasible due to Valve needing the publisher's ok for a deal not to mention the back end trouble of making sure that each game would receive the discount.

fallen_elite said:
GTA is up. Just bought it and now it's downloading. Total size = 16.625GB... ouch

Is that size only if you don't have the original game? Hopefully the download size is smaller if you already have GTA4.

BigKaboom2 said:
Does AvP 2000 have widescreen support?

Yep, and at whatever resolution you want. They actually ported the game to DX9 so that it runs smooth on modern systems, it isn't simply an ISO of the old disc version.

MoFuzz

Metalic Sand said:
Its not showing up for $2 yet. Why do you toy with me steam!
Fixed now.

AvP Classic 2000 get!

Ehh, now that I think about it, is the 2000 really necessary? AvP classic would have been sufficient no?

Desaparecido said:
It's showing up as $2 for me, but it's not showing up in the news section and the original price is not there (slashed out). Usually signs of a price drop, but I guess people saw a sale announcement.
Preposterous! I refuse to buy if it's only a price drop and not a sale.

AvP Classic 2000 un-get!

brain_stew said:
Yep, and at whatever resolution you want. They actually ported the game to DX9 so that it runs smooth on modern systems, it isn't simply an ISO of the old disc version.
Nice, I wish more games would get that treatment. Buying now.

Edit: I would die if they did this for Jedi Knight. *slobbers*

It's showing up as $2 for me, but it's not showing up in the news section and the original price is not there (slashed out). Usually signs of a price drop, but I guess people saw a sale announcement.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Volcynika said:
Sorry, I have a great excuse!

(Already own it)
You don't have it on Steam (*unless you do). 2 United States Dollars is enough for the easy access on Steam. Your argument is invalid (*unless you already have it on Steam. Then it's valid).

Edit: *

Volcynika

drizzle said:
You don't have it on Steam (*unless you do). 2 United States Dollars is enough for the easy access on Steam. Your argument is invalid (*unless you already have it on Steam. Then it's valid).

Edit: *

MoFuzz

brain_stew said:
They actually ported the game to DX9 so that it runs smooth on modern systems, it isn't simply an ISO of the old disc version.
Are there any noticable real-world improvements as a result of this process? Other than widescreen & gamepad support I mean. Is that based on performance, i.e. framerate, stuttering, loading?

I am genuinely curious as to what they mean by a smoother experience on modern PC's.

panda21

Diablohead said:
Only 0.99p off in the UK, boo-urns!

i think technically you actually just mean boo, if you were saying boo-urns it would imply that you were shouting in favour of 'burns' which in this case would be the 0.99p off. unless you actually think this is an awesome deal.

AvP 2000? Eh...was never impressed by that game. I'll pass, even for $2. I'd never play it.

Therefore, my personal Steam sale disappointment/dry spell continues.

epmode

MoFuzz said:
Are there any noticable real-world improvements as a result of this process? Other than widescreen & gamepad support I mean. Is that based on performance, i.e. framerate, stuttering, loading?

I am genuinely curious as to what they mean by a smoother experience on modern PC's.
Meaning that it works instead of forcing you to play with all sorts of stupid compatibility settings.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
MoFuzz said:

Well. Depends on the quality of the port, really.

You could get the Disk in which you bought AvP back in 2000 and put it on your PC to play. I could work or it couldn't. It could be slow as molasses (SimCity 4 has that issue) or it could be too fast (no hard limit on frames).

If they make a decent port of the engine to todays standards, it means it's compatible across the board with everything (Rendering processes, audio manipulation, input variety). You wouldn't need to run all kinds of crazy compatibility modes, old-ass OpenGL implementations, Software mode or anything like that to make the game run well.

Now, if the port is really good (which appears to be the case here), you get an awesomely increased performance of the code. Since it's much simpler geometry/textures, no computer would have a problem running it (since the game was ported to run natively on today's hardware and being so "simple" that it doesn't require massive amounts of processing to run properly).

It's a shame that most game re-releases don't do that.

Acidote

Obviously that dollar is the red line that separated the masses eager to buy the game at a lower price than 3 bucks.

I'm sure it will be more important for it's sales the game being in the home than the price reduction.

IMACOMPUTA

uhm.
It's a good deal for me. $1.99 instead of $4.99 is a great deal.
I've been wanting to pick it up, but feared i wouldn't play it. $1.99 helps me not worry about such things.

IMACOMPUTA

So.. my GTAIV doesn't work anymore after the patch.
I'm sure it has to do with the "better cheat protection" update..
I have modified weapon damage/range and other things..
(i don't play online though)
Whenever I try to launch the game it just says GTA IV has stopped working.
Hm.. I really don't want to lose my mods, or even have to reinstall this game! Crap!

dani_dc

Commandos pack was showing up as "Midweek madness" in a banner for me a minute or two ago, so it's also a Midweek madness alongside AvP.

Shame about Dark Void Zero using Securom though :\
It was a sure buy for me before I heard that, now it's a no buy.

ElJuice said:
So AvP Classic for $2 and the Commandos pack for $5? Hmm. I may have to go for both.

Yep, I picked them both up. Nice to be able to pick up some cheap games again. And I'd been looking for a sale on those Commandos games. Excellent.

GHG

Don't see the point in this weeks deal. Its an impulse buy without the pound off as it is. Its not like its enough money off to sway fence sitters.

Steam deals have been failing lately. Oh well. My money stays in my pocket and my backlog gets bigger. D2D have some good deals right now though. Step up to the plate Steam.

LQX

IMACOMPUTA said:
Anyone willing to gift me Epidodes from Liberty City @ the $22 and I'll paypal them the money?
I would really appreciate it!

IMACOMPUTA said:
The GTA episodes are $12 each from Microsoft and are 3~ GB

But they're 29.99 on Steam so if you only want to pay $22 the person gifting them losses some $8.

platypotamus said:
I've always kind of wanted to try the Commandos games. No excuse now I guess. Worth trying?
Seems worth it for this alone:

Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Released Mar 15, 2007
MetaCritic: 87

BTW, weird that there is no individual store page for Commandos 2: Men of Courage. That store page has gone AWOL!

IMACOMPUTA

ElJuice said:
It's $22 in a different region.

Yeah. Brazil and Mexico, possibly more.
I would just buy the Ballad of Gay Tony from Msoft, because I have 300 points already..
But it's impossible! I can only buy in increments of 400, so if i buy 2 I only have 1100.. which is 100 short of the single episode.
I know this isn't news to anyone, but what the fuck, microsoft?
Also, I want the Vice City radio station.

bestami

Bought both of them. I wasn't on the fence or anything like that. I didn't even know they were on steam :p. I probably would have bought commandos pack if i saw it before. I love those games. After that i immediately looked for the original desperados. Couldn't find it tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom