• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druz

I can't believe some people are complaining that they can't get the items without buying the game. They're just cosmetic bonus items. I think it's a great idea, I just didn't like season 1 or 2 that much to get the new game... haven't finished yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was planning on waiting until I finished the previous Sam & Max seasons before buying the new one, but screw it! I'm getting that hat! I really should start playing TF2 again, anyway...

Stitch

Gold Member
Beat Hazard crashes all the time. I'm also sure that it will give me a seizure after more than 5 minutes of playtime...

Hugbot

DMPrince said:
probably will be on sale separately next week when it's out.
I thought it was out today? But you're right, it is sort of still phrased like a preorder on the site, so i'm sure the individual episode will go up sometime.

Won

Druz said:
I can't believe some people are complaining that they can't get the items without buying the game. They're just cosmetic bonus items. I think it's a great idea, I just didn't like season 1 or 2 that much to get the new game... haven't finished yet.

I think it's weird to have preorder bonuses adding stuff to other, unrelated games. Not really a fan of stuff like that.

Edit: I just checked the steam forum....why did I do that??? Madness!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just decided to buy Battleforge on a whim. Got my student allowance from the government this week, and since I decided not to by the PS3 I was saving up for, a 20$ game seemed like a good idea.

Hope it's good. Looks fun in the videos, at least.

Thomper

Lyphen said:
Just decided to buy Battleforge on a whim. Got my student allowance from the government this week, and since I decided not to by the PS3 I was saving up for, a 20$ game seemed like a good idea.

Hope it's good. Looks fun in the videos, at least.
Not to poop on your party, but... I think you can basically get the full version of Battleforge for free. If you pay for the game, you get some in-game cash and a whole bunch of cards extra, though, so money's not wasted, but just so you know.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thomper said:
Not to poop on your party, but... I think you can basically get the full version of Battleforge for free. If you pay for the game, you get some in-game cash and a whole bunch of cards extra, though, so money's not wasted, but just so you know.
Yeah, I knew about that, but being crazy, I thought not having "Battleforge Demo" in my Steam list to be worth the 20 on it's own.

Twig

Banned
Won said:
I think it's weird to have preorder bonuses adding stuff to other, unrelated games. Not really a fan of stuff like that.

Edit: I just checked the steam forum....why did I do that??? Madness!
Haha I chose NOT to dive into that mess today.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have been contemplating picking up the Sam & Max Seasons for quite a while and the previews of the latest season have been looking great. I never played adventure games like this back in the day and the only experience I have had with the genre is the Monkey Island SE last year (played it through once in each mode). While I didn't really care for the puzzles I loved the humor and dialogue in the game. Is Sam & Max worth it for the same reasons? I will probably wait for a deal or just pick up the TT Games collection next holiday sale anyways as I am trying out this "self-control" thing, but I am curious to hear some opinions.

Thomper

Twig said:
Haha I chose NOT to dive into that mess today.
:lol Just checked them anyway. Wow, those people... they're just weird. Even saw one guy equating this with Blizzard's $25 mounts. Do these people not realize you're 'getting' a game with these hats? An awesome game, too? Or the people saying that this makes TF2 a childish game. Yes, because the jarate wasn't childish at all. And a psychotic rabbit with psychic powers is.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I have been contemplating picking up the Sam & Max Seasons for quite a while and the previews of the latest season have been looking great. I never played adventure games like this back in the day and the only experience I have had with the genre is the Monkey Island SE last year (played it through once in each mode). While I didn't really care for the puzzles I loved the humor and dialogue in the game. Is Sam & Max worth it for the same reasons? I will probably wait for a deal or just pick up the TT Games collection next holiday sale anyways as I am trying out this "self-control" thing, but I am curious to hear some opinions.
I love Sam and Max as much as and for entirely different reasons than I love Monkey Island.

The games are very good. But there's just as much as, if not more, puzzle-solving - somehow I feel like ToMI was more... "action"-oriented than SAM. So, take that for what you will.

commissar

Does the Steam version of Episodes from Liberty City contain the extra radio stations like the disc 360 version did?
Or is it the same as the XBL version, with no bonus music?

Boonoo

Anyone having trouble getting Sam and Max 301 working through steam? It keeps crashing at launch for me (windows 7 x64). I've deleted it and redownloaded it several times, and the game cache is well verified.
I'm bummed D:

Boonoo said:
Anyone having trouble getting Sam and Max 301 working through steam? It keeps crashing at launch for me (windows 7 x64). I've deleted it and redownloaded it several times, and the game cache is well verified.
I'm bummed D:

works fine on my 64bit 7.

Boonoo

TouchMyBox said:
works fine on my 64bit 7.

Damn, I wonder what's up with mine.

The screen goes black as though it's launching, and then it jumps back to desktop and just says SamMax301.exe has stopped working.

EDIT! Got it working. I had to turn off my second monitor. Strange.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
crimsonheadGCN said:
Just a reminder that the game requires 30GB of storage, so the download might take a while.
Not that I was planning on buying it, but man, my 60GB cap looks so incredibly small now. :lol

crimsonheadGCN said:
Just a reminder that the game requires 30GB of storage, so the download might take a while.
Oh lawd I just noticed that. Initially I thought it was 3GB and then 5 minutes later I took a glance to see how long this is going to take to download. I thought there was a mistake, but I guess not now. Go go FiOS!

MoFuzz

Is SW:TFU still hard capped at 30 FPS? Imagine that, one gig per FPS. Har har har....

Seriously though, bugger that. I will not support unoptimized console port turds.

Teknoman

MoFuzz said:
Is SW:TFU still hard capped at 30 FPS? Imagine that, one gig per FPS. Har har har....

Seriously though, bugger that. I will not support unoptimized console port turds.

I dont have a problem with FPS caps, but does the game run nicely in general?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Steam really needs to start allowing us to choose where we download / install games to on a per-game basis.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Battleforge is pretty fun! Only downside I guess is that it doesn't actually work with any of Steam's features. Only the launcher is counted towards your play time, and the overlay doesn't work (again, because of the launchers).

Still, it's a pretty nifty take on an RTS.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Zefah said:
Steam really needs to start allowing us to choose where we download / install games to on a per-game basis.

Yep. I really hope this is implemented in by the time the beta becomes final. Maybe if there's enough bitching on the forums it will happen?

I have steam on my SSD but the games are on a separate drive. Trying to download the witcher which was only 14GB proved impossible but 30GB? Ack!

Jim Stark

Neo Member
Has anyone picked up Episodes from Liberty City? A friend and I are very interested in knowing if it runs any better than GTA4 does.

evlcookie said:
Yep. I really hope this is implemented in by the time the beta becomes final. Maybe if there's enough bitching on the forums it will happen?

I have steam on my SSD but the games are on a separate drive. Trying to download the witcher which was only 14GB proved impossible but 30GB? Ack!

I don't get this... So if you had your steamapps folder on another drive and then you made a directory junction already... What's the problem?

Jim Stark said:
Has anyone picked up Episodes from Liberty City? A friend and I are very interested in knowing if it runs any better than GTA4 does.

It does, but the changes were patched into vanilla GTA IV too (already patched on steam)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
TouchMyBox said:
I don't get this... So if you had your steamapps folder on another drive and then you made a directory junction already... What's the problem?

It still doesn't work for some reason. I have the same setup and it wouldn't download the witcher since i was out of HDD space. It made no sense at all, but it just didn't work. So i had to use another install of steam on another drive then copy the contents over to the junctioned folder and all was well.

evlcookie said:
It still doesn't work for some reason. I have the same setup and it wouldn't download the witcher since i was out of HDD space. It made no sense at all, but it just didn't work. So i had to use another install of steam on another drive then copy the contents over to the junctioned folder and all was well.

Using the mklink /J command in the console right? I've had zero issues with the 152 games I own on steam with my 60GB SSD. The only thing I have on my 1TB HDD is my steamapps folder. :lol

And yes, It's half full :O

IMACOMPUTA

Jim Stark said:
It doesn't really run better though.
Some people have gotten better performance, but at a cost.
Theres WAY more pop-in now, and textures flickering. It looks way worse.
There are new shadows, but they take a BEAST computer to run on max. (i get like 20 fps with an i5 and a 5850.. and the game still looks like garbage)
The V.High shadows look better than the old shadows, but the High/Med/Low new shadows look worse than the old shadows..
Plus the new shadows are weird.. theres a gap and everything looks like its floating.

The new patch sucks, and you have to have it in order to play EFLC.

chixdiggit

I highly recommend Beat Hazard, I could play it forever. It's funny because I never could get into Audio Surf.

Also, small warning: I am playing it on a 42" LCD and it will more than likely cause me to go blind.

I waited too long on AvP and Commandos, so Steam decided for me. :(

Same thing is gonna happen with Zombie Driver and that Beat game.

Oh well. That's $20 I didn't need to spend anyway.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
TouchMyBox said:
Using the mklink /J command in the console right? I've had zero issues with the 152 games I own on steam with my 60GB SSD. The only thing I have on my 1TB HDD is my steamapps folder. :lol

And yes, It's half full :O

I tried to but the console command just wouldn't work. I could never figure out why though. Instead i used a junction app which has been fine ever since. As to why it didn't work for the witcher when downloading, no idea at all.

It's just one of those mysteries :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom