• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN90

iam220 said:
I didn't get a response on the official MW2 forums so i'll ask here; How does MW1 compare to 2? I enjoyed the free weekend with 2 but MW1 seems like the better game. (cheaper, Dedicated servers, no kill streaks). Is the gun play the same?

Get CoD2. Less bullshit. More skill involved.

iam220

Stallion Free said:
The gunplay is exactly the same and if you enjoyed 2, you will certainly enjoy 1. I was recommending picking up MW1 to my friends who enjoyed MW2 a lot this weekend, but didn't feel like dropping 51$.

There is still a very very active community and tons of full servers.

Thanks! I'll be picking it up on steam and playing it tonight .. it's more expensive but I don't feel like dealing with all that cd-key stuff.

1-D_FTW said:
Just playing very limited hours and now that I have the G27, racing games take priority for it.

You better be playing live for speed with that g27!

1-D_FTW

iam220 said:
You better be playing live for speed with that g27!

I've only got about 5 hours logged onto the wheel. Probably four of those are on Dirt 2. It may not be world class racing sim, but Dirt 2 + big HDTV + G27 = Possibly my favorite arcade racing game of all-time. I wanna have its pixel babies.

iam220

1-D_FTW said:
I've only got about 5 hours logged onto the wheel. Probably four of those are on Dirt 2. It may not be world class racing sim, but Dirt 2 + big HDTV + G27 = Possibly my favorite arcade racing game of all-time. I wanna have its pixel babies.

Yeah dirt2 does look pretty amazing, even in DX9. The driving model is indeed simplistic so once you get bored of go to http://www.lfs.net/ and http://www.netkar-pro.com/ . Both sims have demos so you should check em out sometime.

Struct09 said:
Dark Void Zero was released. Anyone try it yet?
I'm just trying it now, graphics look nice but I'm finding it quite hard using a keyboard. I'm going to try using a gamepad next and hopefully it'll be easier to control then.

1-D_FTW

vocab said:
HUR HUR

Can't when some guy randomly charges around a corner or down some stairs. You have no way of knowing it's coming.

That wasn't your original complaint. You said it was broken because you were getting charged from half way across the map.

Admittedly I haven't played TF2 in a while, but I don't remember any stairways that took half the map:)

panda21

combinekidd said:
I'm just trying it now, graphics look nice but I'm finding it quite hard using a keyboard. I'm going to try using a gamepad next and hopefully it'll be easier to control then.

hows that working out for you?

Oreoleo

Toby said:
Gah, I play the game from time to time but that kinda ruins it for me. I had no idea they did that, and for an FPS it seems very stupid.
Maybe I should crawl back to my former lover CS...
So you play a game for some time, find out it has a feature you dislike but NEVER NOTICED ITS IMPLEMENTATION IN THE GAME, and now simply because you know it's there you're going to stop playing? smfh dude.

Twig said:
hahaha goddamn

you people

you crack me up

or this

panda21 said:
hows that working out for you?
I tried it using the analog stick on classic controller and using the wii mote sideways and both work a lot better than a keyboard (especially wiimote sideways which makes it feel like megaman).

Javaman

speculawyer said:
I couldn't get into MW2 for the short time I played it. But I can't really blame the game. My PC was too weak to run it and I had no ideas what was going on and just died every 40 seconds or so. Perhaps with a better PC and after playing the game on SP for a while first.

I had much more fun with Team Fortress 2 (with some GAFFers) and Left 4 Dead 2.

You're always welcome to join us. We play about every night around 10pm'ish.

epmode

Teknoman said:
Any news on the steam version of Splinter Cell Conviction?
Unlocks in two weeks.

Also, a prediction: $60
A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://splintercell.com

evlcookie said:
Do we need GTA4 for this? And the steam version?

I have the retail disc (although i don't think it's installed at the moment) and was looking at getting the episodes. I hear half decent things about them. Could be a few hours of fun.

The episodes are standalone.

slamskank

I didn't like the lost and the damned when I played it on 360. I want to try GTA4 on pc, but I'll wait for a sale. Wish I bit on the holiday sale.

Teknoman

epmode said:
Unlocks in two weeks.

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://splintercell.com

9blqnm.jpg

Seems that way, hoping the game is 50 bucks as usual though.

Slavik81

vocab said:
TF2 used to be a good game before all that achievement farming bullshit, but good god, that demo and soldier update made that game unplayable. Plus random crits in FPS are just flat out dumb.
I wouldn't go that far, but it sure is not the trimmed-down reimagining of TFC that it once was. They've definitely compromised somewhat on their design principles in order to expand it.

Blizzard

Banned
vocab said:
TF2 used to be a good game before all that achievement farming bullshit, but good god, that demo and soldier update made that game unplayable. Plus random crits in FPS are just flat out dumb.
I've been beaten by lots of people, but yeah......it's rather difficult to get a OHKO with the sword. You can curve some at the end, but it's loud, linear, and if you're aware that there's a corner and you have sound on you should certainly be able to avoid it. Natascha, airblast, and I (I'm guessing) the FaN, sentries, and rockets shut it down nicely. I'm bad with stickies, but yeah, the demoman also loses POWERFUL STICKIES if he tries to go melee. At the very least go pyro and learn to airblast.

And in terms of the demo and soldier update as a whole, let's see. The demo got a sticky launcher that most people don't use. It's hard to use. It makes demos less powerful in general. They got a sword and a shield that work best together, and are pretty easy to avoid as describe above.

The soldier got a great melee upgrade, but if they're moving fast enough to be dangerous, they only need one or two hits to kill them. Natascha and pyros especially, for instance. The soldier also got a bugle and some jumping shoes -- the shoes don't reduce fall damage, and they can't both be used at the same time, and the soldier loses the shotgun if he uses them (yeah there's the bugle glitch but you have to go back to spawn). All in all I don't consider either of them game-breaking. The mini-crits are nice, but the duration has been nerfed already, and it's still not much more than an extra boost to try to get through a chokepoint. It kind of depends on your team working together.

And the soldier also got the direct hit. If you're complaining about people aiming that thing well, then try using it yourself...it's not that easy, and spamming it seems less successful than something like the huntsman to me.

But all in all, I'm a pretty doggone bad player sometimes, and I think I hardly ever get hit by charging demoman. :lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why the fuck does Dark Void Zero use SecuROM? What the fuck is this shit? Damnit, Capcom! You've ruined my day! You're lucky there's only 30 minutes left in it.

Teknoman said:
9blqnm.jpg

Seems that way, hoping the game is 50 bucks as usual though.

I believe that Gamestop has the PC version up for $59.99. It could be a place over, but I doubt it. I think all future multiplatform titles from Ubisoft will carry the $59.99 price tag.

epmode said:
Unlocks in two weeks.

:lol I was going to buy this game too. Ubusoft WILL blame their shitty sales on nebulous piracy that they have no way to quantify, but whatever, I'm not giving them my money for this shit

The side stories are apparently more fun than the vanilla GTA4 since they don't feature Niko or whatever. Worst protagonist ever (and most self-contradicting).

I wonder if it's smart enough to only download the extra content if you already have the base game. GTA IV on it's own is ~15GB; that would be insane if it doubled.

I might pick these up sometime if they show up in a weekend deal. I still haven't played BoGT, and it'd be nice to have the whole series on PC once I upgrade to hardware that'll handle it a bit better.

Takuan

Wouldn't mind more GTA... $23 is cheap, but with my backlog I can afford to wait for the inevitable Steam deal. All I've been playing is Bad Company 2 (best $20 spent in a while).

Slo

What's the deal with radio stations in the GTA expansions? I read in the other thread that only the disk versions have the radio stations included. That true?

graywolf323

Slo said:
What's the deal with radio stations in the GTA expansions? I read in the other thread that only the disk versions have the radio stations included. That true?

for the 360 version the retail disc release had this one radio station that the digital versions didn't get

I don't know if they continued that for the PS3/PC release and would like to know as well

IMACOMPUTA

Well, wait.
The GTAIV episodes were either available seperately, or on a disc together for 360, right?

If that's the case, then the steam version bundle will have the radio stations.. it'll be the same as a disc version.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Well, wait.
The GTAIV episodes were either available seperately, or on a disc together for 360, right?

If that's the case, then the steam version bundle will have the radio stations.. it'll be the same as a disc version.

That's precisely what it is. The "DLC" version will be available exclusively through GFWL, though I don't see much reason to buy it unless its super cheap.

Edit: Dark Void: Zero is only £2.99 in the UK? Sweet I'll be buying that then.

slamskank

At $23 I'd bite but ~16gb is just unacceptable to me. I'd have to clear games and apps from my ssd and my bandwidth limit would take a major hit.

I really wish they would do a midweek/weekend deal where you can choose any game under X amount of dollars and receive X percentage. I am sure it wouldn't be feasible but it would be fantastic.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
LovingSteam said:
I really wish they would do a midweek/weekend deal where you can choose any game under X amount of dollars and receive X percentage. I am sure it wouldn't be feasible but it would be fantastic.
Like what? Steam Rentals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom