• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Desaparecido said:
Yeah, I didn't really like the PSN demo, but if it comes out on 360, I'll give it a try and might double dip. I want to play local co-op with 360 controllers. I doubt it will, though.

Oh okay I see. From my experience playing through it myself on the PC was fantastic, though the last level can be tricky. I couldn't imagine trying to beat it with a controller.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
AcridMeat said:
Oh okay I see. From my experience playing through it myself on the PC was fantastic, though the last level can be tricky. I couldn't imagine trying to beat it with a controller.
I managed. Difficulty spike was kind of sudden though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Update for Beat Hazard came out, quoting from steam update news.

The major changes include:
Added support for .FLAC files
Added support for .OGG files
Added 'Restart Track' option in pause screen
Added 'Force Vsync' option to options screen
Fixed music select crash & playing wrong tracks

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I hopped right into a song on Beat Hazard without touching the settings and WTF I was getting close to 1000 fps. Jesus Christ. It would drop to the 400's during intense moments and the tearing was hurting my eyes. :lol V-sync fixed all that. I guess I'll go force triple-buffering too. Neat game though.

Tokubetsu

AcridMeat said:

I was gonna come in here a day or so ago hoping for some FLAC support. Awesome, now I can actually play a good 40% of my collection.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The only thing I wish Trine did, was make the loading Narrations shorter, or more dynamic, or continue on into game play. Some trail on for 3 or more minutes with only a loading map to accompany it, which is boring, despite it being great voice acting.

Beyond that, it's a fantastic game that everyone should play, especially for the hectic co-op.

Rubezh

Anybody willing to bet whether or not SC:C will be available in the UK? Other Ubisoft games like AC2 and SH5 still arn't on the store after being mysteriously "pulled".

graywolf323

AcridMeat said:

does it support .M4A?

Darksiders has appeared on Steam's "Coming Soon" tab and it has Steam achievements. It could possibly be a Steamworks title, but that won't be known till closer to release date.

Twig

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
Darksiders has appeared on Steam's "Coming Soon" tab and it has Steam achievements. It could possibly be a Steamworks title, but that won't be known till closer to release date.
If it has Steam cheesemints, it has to use Steamworks. There's no way around it.

Unless by "a Steamworks title" you mean "a title that requires Steam to run" in which case the answer is "most likely."

flkk

Neo Member
AcridMeat said:

Jangaroo said:
I managed. Difficulty spike was kind of sudden though.

I believe this was patched a long time ago (unless you mean it's still too difficult, in which case I disagree :lol )

Oct 29th 2009 Trine patch:
"- tweaks the last level, now much easier on Easy/Medium/Hard"

Twig said:
If it has Steam cheesemints, it has to use Steamworks. There's no way around it.

Unless by "a Steamworks title" you mean "a title that requires Steam to run" in which case the answer is "most likely."

Yeah, that's what I meant. A title that every version requires Steam.

panda21

Rubezh said:
Anybody willing to bet whether or not SC:C will be available in the UK? Other Ubisoft games like AC2 and SH5 still arn't on the store after being mysteriously "pulled".

i'm guessing no, since its not up for pre-order and it is everywhere else.

most likely it will be on gamersgate and d2d though.

i think they broke Beat Hazard. I just tried to play a song (WMA File) and it ended unlocking 3 achievements. (Complete 25, 50, and 100 songs). I checked my stats and it showed 753 songs cleared :lol. I know i didn't play THAT many songs and even if i did replay a song it wouldn't make it that high. Oh well. ;D

MoFuzz

Desaparecido said:
Yeah, I didn't really like the PSN demo, but if it comes out on 360, I'll give it a try and might double dip. I want to play local co-op with 360 controllers. I doubt it will, though.
FWIW, the PC version supports both local co-op and 360 controllers. It even has the onscreen prompts, rumble, everything really.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just uploaded a quick video of Beat Hazard using Fraps. Not the best song to showcase how crazy it is (plus I'm only playing on normal) but I'll upload more once my wired controller comes in the mail.

Off topic, does anyone have tips on what the butter zone is for compression? This was only my second video and I'm still trying to figure it out.

nyong

Banned
AcridMeat said:
Just uploaded a quick video of Beat Hazard using Fraps. Not the best song to showcase how crazy it is (plus I'm only playing on normal) but I'll upload more once my wired controller comes in the mail.
Somebody ban this fool please.

For manipulating me into spending money. +1 sale, even though I can't afford it....

Twig

Banned
Beat Hazard looks boring as hell.

Oh boy the lights flash pretty to the beat of the music!

Please tell me there's more to it than that and what looks like an Asteroids clone...

Today['s beta ui update:

4/19/2010

- Fixed client not getting stats schema updates without restarting the client.
- Fixed title bar gradients drawing wider than need be and hurting performance
- Fixed title bar gradients on non-focused windows looking wrong
- Optimized drawing of gradients with differing start/end alpha, general performance improvement across the client
- Fixed chat msg notification toasts not being dismissible on click
- Fixed a crash on shutdown
- Fixed filter/window position settings sometimes not saving on client exit during Windows shutdown
- Fixed mini-games list not having title bar focus gradient
- Fixed mini-games list not updating list on uninstall of a game when filtered by “installed”
- Fixed chat’s spamming the “you have been disconnected” message repeatedly while Steam is down
- Fixed a case where the details view background image would not update when switching filters
- Fixed only one cookie per domain saving in WebKit implementation
- Fixed tab key getting stuck down in overlay hot-key code on Alt-Tab from some DirectInput using games which would cause shift alone to open the overlay afterwards
- Fixed Close button positioning in CD Key dialog
- Fix the in-game overlay causing the viewport size to be incorrect in some D3D9 games (Sam & Max)
- Added option to disable autoplaying of videos when browsing the store
- Fixed "Register your game..."

It seems like Valve is almost done with fixing the major criticisms of the ui update, at least from the list in this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160401

They really just need to fix performance for those who are having issues and redesign the chat window for a better layout then it will most likely be publicly released for all. This will probably occur by the end of April or early May. Then I guess they'll move onto the Mac public beta.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Twig said:

Please tell me there's more to it than that and what looks like an Asteroids clone...
It's actually a pretty competent dual stick shooter, in addition to being one of the most trippy music visualizers I've ever seen.

AcridMeat

Banned
Keep in mind I was only playing on normal, there are two higher difficulties. I'm just not very good yet, so I wanted to show off a full track.

Jangaroo said:
I picked up Trine during the last sale, which was about two months ago I believe. Great game. Kind of short, we're talking like 5 hours of playtime but everyone should go and check it out. Some of the physic/puzzles are ingenius.
That last level is a bitch though!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Twig said:

The game is hit and miss. I think if you pick up a song that's not balls out from the get go and changes, it can be interesting.

When theres little to no music you're weapon has just about no power at all which can make it really intense, especially if they decide to throw 2 large ass ships at you which has happened to me before :lol

It's really about knowing the song you're currently playing. If you know there's going to be a quiet bit just ahead, save the bombs and use them then.

flkk said:
That was patched!

Oct 29th 2009 Trine patch:
"- tweaks the last level, now much easier on Easy/Medium/Hard"
Yeah, I was playing through on medium I think but I had to drop to easy to finish that level. I couldn't hack it. It is a long level that you have to finish in one run and you have to keep moving or else you are dead.

AcridMeat

Banned
evlcookie said:
The game is hit and miss. I think if you pick up a song that's not balls out from the get go and changes, it can be interesting.

When theres little to no music you're weapon has just about no power at all which can make it really intense, especially if they decide to throw 2 large ass ships at you which has happened to me before :lol

It's really about knowing the song you're currently playing. If you know there's going to be a quiet bit just ahead, save the bombs and use them then.

I'm going to go play the ultimate test, Bohemian Rhapsody.

edit: Holy balls that is the hardest song ever because it's so slow. :lol :lol :lol
I can't even make it past a quarter of the way through because the ship's power is so weak.

edit2: Under Pressure went a whole lot smoother.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I was playing through on medium I think but I had to drop to easy to finish that level. I couldn't hack it. It is a long level that you have to finish in one run and you have to keep moving or else you are dead.
Level is a damn riot with co-op. :lol

ArjanN

speculawyer said:

I have the "Better Than Developers!" achievement:
Complete Tower of Sarek without any deaths on Very Hard difficulty

I see still only 1% of the players have that. So satisfying...

Oh, and speaking of great 2D platformers: apparantly an HD version of Eversion (that cute / H.P. Lovecraft-creepy game) is coming to Steam.

-

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Tool - Lateralus in beat hazzard is ... insane. Since nothing happens in the song for the first ~2 minutes you sit there trying to dodge everything. Within 20 seconds it throws a blood medium sized ship at you.

My brain now hurts.

Valve said:
Pre-Purchase Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Now, Get Original Splinter Cell Free
APRIL 20, 2010, 9:07 AM - VALVE - GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction is now available for pre-purchase.

Also available is Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe Edition, including Infiltration Mode, Shadow Armor and 3 bonus weapons

Buy the Standard or Deluxe Edition before the release and get a copy of the original Splinter Cell to play right now or give to a friend if you already own it on Steam.

Splinter Cell Conviction releases April 27 in North, Central, and South America and April 30 everywhere else.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3722/

Lijik

ArjanN said:
Oh, and speaking of great 2D platformers: apparantly an HD version of Eversion (that cute / H.P. Lovecraft-creepy game) is coming to Steam.

-

Eeeeee! I am waving my arms in excitement at this
Can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom