• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
parasight said:
So... is Steam still supposed to come to OS X this month?

Beta invites are going out now to a select few and only Portal is playable. It seems unlikely that everyone will be able to access it this month.

Kosma

Banned
First 20 min of Winterbottom are great, it did make my laptop shutdown cause I was playing it in bed and it didnt get any ventilation :)

AcridMeat

Banned
Just uploaded another video of Beat Hazard. I made sure to play on hardcore this time (don't have insane unlocked yet). If you don't want to watch it all, there's a good demonstration of slow pace to a build up if you start at 3:10. At 3:40 is when the breakdown came and I crushed a boss, it was awesome to play.

Turbo Love - Bag Raiders

Instro

Nice deal on Dues Ex collection, never played either so this will be on my to do list. Glad I held off on buying it during the last big steam sale, this deal is like $10 cheaper.

graywolf323

Diebuster said:
Is Invisible War worth it? I know it's only $2.50, but I've heard it's completely skippable.

I say yes, it's not an amazing game but its still good

people just hate it because it doesn't live up to it's predecessor at all but that doesn't suddenly just make it shit

MoFuzz

BuddhaRockstar said:
It was a perfectly fine port, and now I have it on PC, how am I doing it wrong?
That's great that you ended up picking it up on PC. I was referring mostly to the fact that you played it on PS2 first and foremost. I'm trying to picture how the controls translate to a dual analog setup and I don't think I'd be happy with the results. Also, they upped the textures on the console versions but the trade-off there was that the framerate suffered in some areas.

Anyways, my comment was meant in jest. :p

graywolf323 said:
I say yes, it's not an amazing game but its still good

people just hate it because it doesn't live up to it's predecessor at all but that doesn't suddenly just make it shit
When you make such drastic changes to an already established formula, you might as well make it a new game, why give it the name of something people hold dear and proceed to smear it in our faces with how much they've dumbed it down in terms of quality and complexity?

At least they came to their senses later on and decided to market Project Snowblind as its own thing rather than another laughable Deus Ex tie-in.

Volcynika

Other games that hit today:

AquaNox & AquaNox 2 Now Available
APRIL 20, 2010, 2:40 PM - VALVE - PRODUCT RELEASE

AquaNox & AquaNox 2 are now available on Steam.

Mission based action underwater with stunning and violent individual and team-based combat. The frantic pace never lets up in Aquanox and Aquanox 2; true adrenaline-rush action for today's gamers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39630/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39640/

$4.99 and $9.99 (1 and 2, respectively) or the pack of both for $11.99

Mole Control, KrissX, and Fluttabyes From Blitz 1UP Released, 20% Off
APRIL 20, 2010, 4:08 PM - VALVE - PRODUCT RELEASE

Blitz 1UP games Mole Control, KrissX, and Fluttabyes are released. All three games are 20% off until April 27th.

Mole Control is an addictive puzzle game that brings the classic logic-based game play of minesweeper into the 21st century.

KrissX is a captivating and relaxing mix of puzzle game and word game. Swap letters and decipher clues to solve a series of clever puzzles.

Fluttabyes is a fun, quirky take on a Match 3 game. Easy to pick up and play, yet deeply addictive, the aim of Fluttabyes is to help the butterflies fly away by matching four or more of the same color.

Mareg

Woah I just bought Beat Hazard thinking it would be like Audiosurf in the sense that the game would have a leader board for every music piece.

Is there something I'm missing ?
If it doesn't have that feature, I'm kinda feeling bad about my purchase. I should have researched a lot more I guess. Oh well.

Joe Molotov

I downloaded KrissX and played it for a bit, but it was really boring and not even challenging. The other two games didn't even look promising.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
AcridMeat said:
Just uploaded another video of Beat Hazard. I made sure to play on hardcore this time (don't have insane unlocked yet). If you don't want to watch it all, there's a good demonstration of slow pace to a build up if you start at 3:10. At 3:40 is when the breakdown came and I crushed a boss, it was awesome to play.

Turbo Love - Bag Raiders

What did you use for encoding / shrinking the file for youtube? I wouldn't mind doing some clips as well.

AcridMeat

Banned
evlcookie said:
What did you use for encoding / shrinking the file for youtube? I wouldn't mind doing some clips as well.

I used virtualdub for compression. The tf2 video on that channel was made by compressing two captured videos in virtualdub then putting them together in windows movie maker.

The Beat Hazard ones I just uploaded the compressed files from virtualdub. It's a little tricky to use though, in all honesty. There are a lot of things you can mess with that I haven't started to wrap my head around.

edit: That may be the last video I make for a while, it takes forever to upload to youtube.

vazel

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
It was a perfectly fine port, and now I have it on PC, how am I doing it wrong?
Ion Storm actually had a notoriously difficult time porting the game to the PS2. The framerate was shitty and it was one of only two games that ever crashed on me on PS2. And the levels had to be shortened because of the PS2's RAM.

Sloegr

Gamer @ Heart said:
Thanks. The helder pinto one looks cool but jesus christ at those instructions. Im a console gamer and I am not sure what i am reading/suppose to do.

For the pinto mod? I haven't installed it myself, but they break it down step by step pretty well. Any step in particular you need help with?

Oreoleo

Gamer @ Heart said:
Thanks. The helder pinto one looks cool but jesus christ at those instructions. Im a console gamer and I am not sure what i am reading/suppose to do.

I just realized helder pinto = HP = the guy who made a freakin awesome Crysis config so this should be awesome. The installation instructions don't look so bad to me but if you run into issues myself and others like the poster above me I'm sure will be willing to help you out.

And it looks like it landed him a job at Crytek, good for him.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
graywolf323 said:
your hesitation probably had something to do with this

3rd-party DRM: FrontLine ProActive 3 machine activation limit

That was probably it, now i'll have to wait until they get rid of the DRM, then a sale after that to buy it.

zombieshavebrains said:
That was probably it, now i'll have to wait until they get rid of the DRM, then a sale after that to buy it.

That probably will not happen. The developers are basically saying if the DLC does not sell then they will move onto their next game and stop support.

evlcookie said:
Damn splinter cell is #2 and 3 on the steam store. Do people not know about the DRM. Such a shame.

Not trying to hate or anything but I was pretty suprised and dissapointed to see that yeah, it shot up to No.1 like MW2 despite all the universal bashing across the internet.
Guess Steam users don't care/have disposable income or something =/

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
crimsonheadGCN said:
That probably will not happen. The developers are basically saying if the DLC does not sell then they will move onto their next game and stop support.

Well as most people in this thread know, here is an easy way to get your game to sell really well...

"ANNOUNCEMENT: Birds of Prey and Wings of Luftwaffe DLC now with no DRM and 50% off!" Or 30%, whatever. I'm sure it would get on the top selling list. So if the devs take the approach of "If DRM DLC doesn't sell well we give!" then that's their own damn fault. But Spore and Bioshock both lost their DRM after time.

RJT

Most people are not informed about those things and don't read the T&Cs... I'm sure Ubisoft will get a lot of complains from displeased customers and change their minds. At least, that's what I hope...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
crimsonheadGCN said:
Well, fuck those guys. Tyrants, I say.

AgentOtaku said:
Not trying to hate or anything but I was pretty suprised and dissapointed to see that yeah, it shot up to No.1 like MW2 despite all the universal bashing across the internet.
Guess Steam users don't care/have disposable income or something =/

It sets a scary precedent for $60 games. Good thing I'm no longer spending more than $29.99 on games anymore. (only exception being Valve games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom