• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynoro

Façade said:
And again, a ubisoft game is unavailable in the UK. Anyone have any idea why this is?
Steam are saving us from draconian DRM :D But seriously; I suspect its a deal between Ubi and the retailers to fix price levels

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If someone doesn't want the original Splinter Cell after pre-ordering coviction i wouldn't mind getting that copy, i have never played the series before so i am interested in checking the franchise.

Premium prices for big-publisher games on Steam is such a downer. If they only price-matched amazon I'd never have to buy a disc again. Can't wait for amazon to launch their dd service.

graywolf323

zombieshavebrains said:
Wings of Prey looks really good. For some reason i remember looking at it but hesitating on whether to get it or not. The DLC looks tempting. 4 Player Coop as zie Germans sounds pretty fun.

your hesitation probably had something to do with this

3rd-party DRM: FrontLine ProActive 3 machine activation limit

Gexecuter said:
If someone doesn't want the original Splinter Cell after pre-ordering coviction i wouldn't mind getting that copy, i have never played the series before so i am interested in checking the franchise.
I'm like halfway through replaying it and it still totally holds up. It just bums me out that Conviction is just a dumb action shooter.

Oh also, last I checked Newegg.com had Splinter Cell & Pandora Tomorrow plus the bonus missions for 9.99 with free shipping. That's a really good deal, even though it's not Steam.

vocab

Deus Ex and Deus Ex "sequel" are on sale for $2.50 a piece. Collection is $5. I hope this isn't the midweek madness. It was just on sale from the SE publisher week stuff.

Deus Ex for £1.50, i think its time i finally played this game..... i hope it doesnt have an issue with W7 and dual cores etc ?

Is the sequel worth getting too (ive heard its retardedly dumbed down), does it have any redeeming qualities ?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
$7ish during the holiday sale

That was great because Vert thought no one would buy it and then like 5+ of us did and we all played without him and had a great time :lol

Ogs said:
Deus Ex for £1.50, i think its time i finally played this game..... i hope it doesnt have an issue with W7 and dual cores etc ?

No issues on W7 or multicore processors.

MoFuzz

Ogs said:
Is the sequel worth getting too Good god, no.

(ive heard its retardedly dumbed down) Yep, like you wouldn't believe. The worst case of consolitis you can possibly imagine. The most significant drop in quality from the original to sequel I can think of in a PC game.

does it have any redeeming qualities ? :lol :lol :lol ........no.
Answers in bold, and smilies.

Ogs said:

Is the sequel worth getting too (ive heard its retardedly dumbed down), does it have any redeeming qualities ?
Worked fine last time I tried it on Vista with a triple-core.

And I'd say Invisible War is worth playing, decent game, just not a good sequel to Deus Ex which is where most of the hate stems from (along with the sub-par engine, ammo system and "me too" storyline). It’s worth the price asked here anyway.

MoFuzz

Desaparecido said:
That's probably for the better, although I would need to get a new controller.
Despite most people's gut instincts, Trine is actually one platformer that I found to be much better with K&M, if only because of the heavy emphasis on improvised solutions that are dependant on quick gestures (wizard) or quick aiming (thief). I flip flopped between both control methods for the first 3 levels but then completed the rest of the game with K&M.

Although, now that I think about it, the knight would actually control great throughout the game with the controller,moreso than the other 2 characters.

graywolf323

Ogs said:

the sequel is a good game in its own right just don't go in expecting anything amazing

guess the Deus Ex Collection is the mid-week deal then

Ogs said:

Deus Ex was a Adventure Stealth/Shooter RPG game with lots of explorations and customization. It was a considerably long game, where you wondered around cities, office building, facilities, factories, etc... learning information about the awesome government conspiracy story-line. You talked to tons of NPCs and there were tons of choices and dialogue options that greatly effected your character and the path the story took. There was a lot of fighting though to and you had shit-tons of customizable nano augmentations and guns, you'd earn experience points and be able to customize your character to fit into specific roles depending on how you wanted to play and what choices you made in the story.

Invisible War was a shooter, you shot stuff and it died - you had a small limited amount of magical nano abilities to use while fighting and you could take the stealth route if you wanted most of the time to. That's about it, the RPG elements were stripped out, you no longer explored places or gained experience. The Upgrade system of the original game was made completely blase because you found the canisters everywhere and they gave you everything you needed... no hunting for hard to find shit. Just running through hallways shooting enemies and EMPing robots. It's not a terrible game, actually it's pretty interesting compared to other shooters at the time but it's NOT a proper sequel to Deus Ex - save for the graphics it's a huge downgrade in every department.

Javaman

Gexecuter said:

Unfortunately copies like that generally can't be gifted, even if the person already owns the original. The extra copy gets lost in the void.

Xapati

So I bought Deus Ex, since I never played it, I hope it runs on my dual core Vista machine. Gonna give it a try after my second run through of Vampire.

Chris R

Purchased Deus Ex, since I know it is a kick ass game. Never had the privilege of owning it before though. $2.50 is a great price though.

I also knew enough to stay FAR away from Deus Ex 2 :lol

edit: and it is already downloaded :lol Off to try to enjoy it on a W7 machine.

Markster

Xapati said:
So I bought Deus Ex, since I never played it, I hope it runs on my dual core Vista machine. Gonna give it a try after my second run through of Vampire.
You may run into processor timing issues. I can't recall if those issues have been fixed in the Steam version.

Give the game a shot, but maybe check out this page if you're running into problems or are interested in trying out some slightly more advanced renderers.

vazel

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
Played through Deus Ex on PS2, might as well pick it up on PC just to have it forever.
Also the PS2 port was shitty. Ran like shit and levels were hampered by memory limitations.

I too only had the game on PS2 so this is the perfect opportunity to play on PC. I'll skip the second game though as it was one of the first notorious examples of dumbed down gaming.

Steam Client UI Update to Release on Monday
Announcement - Valve

After two months in beta and over twenty updates, the Steam Client UI Update is slated to release to all Steam users this coming Monday, April 26th.

We'd like to extend our thanks to all of you who've taken part in improving Steam by participating in the 2010 Steam UI Update beta. You've put the beta through its paces and provided great ideas and feedback.

The beta has been a huge success. The number of you who participated exceeded all our expectations, and so far you've created 25 thousand posts to the beta user forums. As a result of your participation, the Steam team has had the feedback required to make the new Steam client more reliable and useful than ever.

For those of you who've yet to join the beta, it's not too late! By participating now, you'll be updating your system to include our most recent developments. You'll also minimize the amount of content required to download later, once the released version becomes available. And last but not least, you'll be experiencing the future of Steam now, including dozens of new features, bug fixes and general improvements.

Regardless of whether you've chosen to opt into the beta, keep your eye out for the Steam client update on Monday, April 26th, when a brand new Steam is headed your way.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3726/

Chris R

Deus Ex seems to run perfectly (with that DirectX thingy too) but it does seem to run just a touch too fast. Maybe that is just how the game is, because the audio sounds fine, its just like running at warp speed :lol

MoFuzz

crimsonheadGCN said:
Steam Client UI Update to Release on Monday
Announcement - Valve

After two months in beta and over twenty updates, the Steam Client UI Update is slated to release to all Steam users this coming Monday, April 26th.
So, Friday, April 30th then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom