• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc213

I been using STEAM on Vista Ult. x64 and Windows 7 x64 both with no major issues. Except for Half-Life 2 which wouldn't run until I added -32 to the shortcut to force 32bit mode.

Remy said:
I went in for SlamIt Pinball and Puzzle Quest. I think I spent more time with SlamIt tonight.

So long as you know you're only getting one table, it's a safe buy. The graphics/physics/sounds are all solid - the ball has good weight to it. There are a lot of modes (12 full modes and 8 mini-modes, according to the website), and the table flows well.

There's also some interesting unique features. The "SlamIt" controls for nudging are amusing (you just mash the keyboard); there's an Internet Ranking system; there's actually four characters that apparently have "different abilities".

I'm pretty happy with it, and for $5 I'm not sure how people couldn't be.

Cheers for that, seems like a safe bet.

ctalamode

Neo Member
Has anyone tried EndWar? PC version vs. console version?
Also, what is Ceville? It looks like it could be really nice... and it could not.

Mrbob

Small nitpick with steam games.

I wish Valve would allow the option to see the total time played with all your steam games instead of just showing the last two weeks. I wonder if they'll ever add this in.

Pachael

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'm using V64 and Steam. I don't have any problems. However, I ONLY load up Steam when I am playing a game. I never allow Steam (or pretty much anything else) to start with Windows and just sit there, possilbly leading to problems. If you were having issues during a Steam game, that could be any number of causes that might not be related to the client.

No problem from my end either - V64 and Steam. Like Dr.Zoidberg I only open Steam whenever I play a Steam game.

Fredescu

Mrbob said:

I wish Valve would allow the option to see the total time played with all your steam games instead of just showing the last two weeks. I wonder if they'll ever add this in.
Totally agree. I was disappointed when I realised it ages off.

Twig

Banned
Mrbob said:

I bet Valve even has the data (in fact, I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't). I wonder why they won't let us see it.

Ventrue

ElectricBlue187 said:
forgive me for presuming, but, isn't that the whole goddamn point?

Keeping save data for millions of users across multiple games is a rather ambitious endeavour, it's not unreasonable for the program to start out small.

Zzoram

ElectricBlue187 said:
forgive me for presuming, but, isn't that the whole goddamn point?

It saves your control and graphics settings for Left 4 Dead across computers. They are expanding it to include all their other games, then probably 3rd party games in the future.

Ventrue said:
Keeping save data for millions of users across multiple games is a rather ambitious endeavour, it's not unreasonable for the program to start out small.

most games have a specific folder they save games to, why not map that folder on every game and upload the data? it doesn't seem that hard to me, more of a 'why didn't they think of this sooner' kind of thing

epmode

ElectricBlue187 said:
most games have a specific folder they save games to, why not map that folder on every game and upload the data? it doesn't seem that hard to me, more of a 'why didn't they think of this sooner' kind of thing
What about those games that have 25+ megabyte saves? With unlimited save slots? Migrating savegames sounds like a headache and a half.

Volcynika

LovingSteam said:
Vol, you picking this up or were you saying you will wait a year?

Might pick it up. Doesn't come till April and there's no pre-purchase for cheaper, I have time to decide. I have to organize all my purchases soon, Nintendo loaded a couple onto my already sizeable list. D:

Might also wait to see if the PS3 version doesn't suck / will ever come out.

Zzoram said:
It saves your control and graphics settings for Left 4 Dead across computers. They are expanding it to include all their other games, then probably 3rd party games in the future.

Wait, graphics settings too? What's the point of that? Chances are if you have multiple computers they all have different configs and monitor sizes, so they'll need different graphics settings anyway to run optimally.

faceless007 said:
Wait, graphics settings too? What's the point of that? Chances are if you have multiple computers they all have different configs and monitor sizes, so they'll need different graphics settings anyway to run optimally.
I think he's mistaken.

Mrbob

Haha what the hell, the setup for TLR on PC is horrible.

Not only does the game launch in a damn window, but you can't use the mouse for the menus. Have to use the keyboard. I finally found my monitor resolution in the menu....oh, and the menus have all the commands for a 360 controller listed on them. 5 dollars I will pay for this game now, shoddy pc port confirmed.

Oh my god you can't even use the mouse to pan around without holding down a button. :lol $2.99 now. SE didn't even attempt to redesign the controls for keyboard and mouse. Horrific.

Zzoram

Mrbob said:

Not only does the game launch in a damn window, but you can't use the mouse for the menus. Have to use the keyboard. I finally found my monitor resolution in the menu....oh, and the menus have all the commands for a 360 controller listed on them. 5 dollars I will pay for this game now, shoddy pc port confirmed.

Oh my god you can't even use the mouse to pan around without holding down a button. :lol $2.99 now. SE didn't even attempt to redesign the controls for keyboard and mouse. Horrific.

I plan to plug in my 360 pad for this game so this doesn't bother me. Even so, this is the first anyone has said about bad PC controls. Are you sure you didn't just accidentally turn on a gamepad profile?

Does anyone know when you get charged for a pre-order, the day you place it or the day the game unlocks? I want to know because the Canadian dollar fluctuates a lot and I want to buy at a good price.

zbarron

Zzoram said:
I plan to plug in my 360 pad for this game so this doesn't bother me. Even so, this is the first anyone has said about bad PC controls. Are you sure you didn't just accidentally turn on a gamepad profile?

Does anyone know when you get charged for a pre-order, the day you place it or the day the game unlocks? I want to know because the Canadian dollar fluctuates a lot and I want to buy at a good price.
He is correct. It is best played with a gamepad by far. It really feels like a console game when you play with a controller at forced 16:9 and no AA or AF.

Zzoram

zbarron said:
He is correct. It is best played with a gamepad by far. It really feels like a console game when you play with a controller at forced 16:9 and no AA or AF.

Well I guess it's a good thing I have a wired 360 pad. I got it for $30 on sale too, pretty awesome.

eznark

Banned
For those who've played the demo, does it run smoother than the 360 version? I played 3 hours or so on the 360 and while the battle system and depth seemed interesting the ridiculous performance issues forced me to stop.

Zzoram

eznark said:
For those who've played the demo, does it run smoother than the 360 version? I played 3 hours or so on the 360 and while the battle system and depth seemed interesting the ridiculous performance issues forced me to stop.

If you have a good PC, yes it most definitely runs better. People are reporting load times of less than 3 seconds and solid 60fps with good PCs.

There is also a Turbo mode for PC that can speed up battles if you think they take too long.

eznark said:

Works perfectly, no framerate drops whatsoever in battles.

eznark

Banned
That is awesome, the load times going into battle are what finally killed it for me so I'm glad that's been trimmed. I'll definitely try out the demo.

Zzoram

i guess i need to force v-sync but performance is great

the lack of tutorial in this demo makes it uber confusing though

eznark

Banned
Zzoram said:

I played through the beginning of the game. Still didn't have a full idea what was going on 3 hours later.

zbarron

eznark said:
On my mid range PC (E6550, 4GB RAM, 9800GTX+) I get 60fps in the field and 45-60fps in battle at 1680x1050 with everything turned to max. The load times are relatively short but they happen frequently. The texture pop in is still there but takes about 1 second to get there perfectly. If your computer is getting older you may want to cap the framerate at 30fps so there are less/no dips.

Zzoram said:

Yeah definitely turn on V-Sync in the control panel.

I mentioned the Steam demo specifically because Steam always gives good speeds.

Mareg

pilonv1 said:
ffs where is drakensang. its even on direct2drive now

I agree with this post. I'm living in Canada and we are not getting this game in any stores. We need it online somewhere stat !

Mrbob

I turned everything on high, it looks ok and all ran smooth.

I will be getting a wired 360 controller soon. Will try again after I grab it.

Mareg said:
I agree with this post. I'm living in Canada and we are not getting this game in any stores. We need it online somewhere stat !

Its available on Gamer's Gate right now, and they're excellent. No need to wait for a possible Steam release.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mrbob said:

You do know there's an option in the menu which changes the on screen commands to keyboard right? And just use the arrow keys for the camera.

Volcynika

K.Jack said:
You do know there's an option in the menu which changes the on screen commands to keyboard right? And just use the arrow keys for the camera.

That's what happens when people don't pay attention~

firex

This is kind of unrelated, but Audiosurf has new achievements and a much simpler (and easier on the eyes) font for its menus/scoreboards now.

Mrbob

K.Jack said:

Yes, I know. I messed around with the menu options before I played (suck it vol :p ) and this still doesn't replace the lack of ability for a true mouselook.

Most PC games won't use a 360 or GFW controller with their titles. Bad PC optimization, but I'm really not surprised.

zbarron

Mrbob said:
Yes, I know. I messed around with the menu options before I played (suck it vol :p ) and this still doesn't replace the lack of ability for a true mouselook.

Most PC games won't use a 360 or GFW controller with their titles. Bad PC optimization, but I'm really not surprised.
In one of the options you can change having to hold the right button and it becomes free. I still think the mouse could be implemented better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom