• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumpkins

Just a note for people having problems with MW1's MP (like getting kicked by the Punkbuster client for no reason).

Launch MW1 from the .exe file in the Steam folder, not through Steam. For some reason, launching through Steam causes it to do that.

Also if you're encountering stuttering while turning try enabling "Dual Video Cards" even if you don't have dual video cards.

Hope that helps for people that bought the weekend deal.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pumpkins said:
Just a note for people having problems with MW1's MP (like getting kicked by the Punkbuster client for no reason).

Launch MW1 from the .exe file in the Steam folder, not through Steam. For some reason, launching through Steam causes it to do that.

Also if you're encountering stuttering while turning try enabling "Dual Video Cards" even if you don't have dual video cards.

Hope that helps for people that bought the weekend deal.

What he really means is that you have to turn off in-game Steam Community in the Steam settings because that is what sets off PB.

MoFuzz

Stallion Free said:
What he really means is that you have to turn off in-game Steam Community in the Steam settings because that is what sets off PB.
Don't call Ms. Zellweger a he! How rude!

Vitruviux

Banned
vocab said:
Anyone who buys that map pack for PC is extremely retarded, and is encouraging stupid consolization to the PC platform.

Exactly, if you buy it someone should spit in your face... you'll probably pay for that too.

Davidion

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I just saw this on Steam, wonder if it's any good. Wouldn't mind checking it out if there are other GAF members playing.

I'm on the fence about it, actually...would like a soldat clone like this.

Joe Molotov

Come on, it's fun, guys. You gets lots of achievements. I only played for 30 minutes, and I already got 14, and I'm not even very good.

Kosma

Banned
I'm on to the third door now, so far the difficulty has been just right.

Never could get into Braid somehow, but if its really like this I might give it another go :)

ArjanN

Kosma said:
I'm on to the third door now, so far the difficulty has been just right.

Never could get into Braid somehow, but if its really like this I might give it another go :)

It doesn't really become any harder after that. Mostly because every "movie" is focused around a new mechanic so the difficulty kind of resets every time.

Joe Molotov

Confidence Man said:
Dedicated servers?

No, unfortunately. There was only 5 games going when I was playing earlier, and the lowest ping was 135, but it was still fun though. It could be better though, I hope they keep improving it.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So now that The Passing is finished for L4D2 here are some things i would like to see Valve work on:

-Finish the engineer update for TF2
-Finish the DLC for L4D1 that shows how
bill dies
-Achievements for HL2 and episode 1
-Meet the Pyro video and/or Meet the Medic video
-After the completion of those two videos i would like an official release of the Source Filmmaker (would be nice if it worked in all source games like the Source recorder)
-Oh and episode 3

That would be such a high concentration of awesomeness i wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Joe Molotov

On one hand, I'd like to have Episode 3 as soon as possible (like a year ago), but on the other hand, I kinda hope Valve just turns Ep3 into Half-Life 3 and makes it a full-length game and builds a new engine for it. I mean, eventually they have to make a new engine right?

epmode

zombieshavebrains said:
I have a feeling that this will happen soon. Either Monday (when the Steam update goes live forr non-beta users) or when the Mac client is officially released.

Twig

Banned
epmode said:
I have a feeling that this will happen soon. Either Monday (when the Steam update goes live forr non-beta users) or when the Mac client is officially released.
I have a feeling it'll never happen!

):

kamspy

zombieshavebrains said:
So now that The Passing is finished for L4D2 here are some things i would like to see Valve work on:

-Finish the engineer update for TF2
-Finish the DLC for L4D1 that shows how
bill dies
-Meet the Pyro video and/or Meet the Medic video
-After the completion of those two videos i would like an official release of the Source Filmmaker (would be nice if it worked in all source games like the Source recorder)
-Oh and episode 3

That would be such a high concentration of awesomeness i wouldn't know what to do with myself.

That would fill Valve's development schedule until 2019.

epmode

Twig said:
I have a feeling it'll never happen!
You probably saw this, but just in case: The achievements for HL2 and Episode 1 were actually active in the Steam client beta when it was first released. Soon, soon.

Twig

Banned
epmode said:
You probably saw this, but just in case: The achievements for HL2 and Episode 1 were actually active in the Steam client beta when it was first released. Soon, soon.
I did see it. I don't think it means anything. They had the same icons as the 360 cheesemints. Peggle Nights has cheesemints listed but they aren't active. I think even Counter-Strike: Source had something (or maybe it was a different Valve game). Other games have cheesemints listed early before they're actually available (for a current example, see Bob Came in Pieces).

I think Valve has the stuff in PLACE for the cheesemints (and has had for a long while), but I don't think they're actually working on implementing them. Until I hear or see otherwise...!

Scipius

Twig said:
I did see it. I don't think it means anything. They had the same icons as the 360 cheesemints. Peggle Nights has cheesemints listed but they aren't active. I think even Counter-Strike: Source had something (or maybe it was a different Valve game). Other games have cheesemints listed early before they're actually available (for a current example, see Bob Came in Pieces).

I think Valve has the stuff in PLACE for the cheesemints (and has had for a long while), but I don't think they're actually working on implementing them. Until I hear or see otherwise...!

One further clue could be found by looking at what version of HL2 Valve ports to OSX; it would make sense to use the Source 2007 version (i.e. porting only the same build as the rest of the OB). If the concept of SteamPlay would then also apply across achievements, you could assume the Windows version will finally get the updates. AFAIK, only Portal is available so far in the Mac beta, so we don't know just yet.

Though Valve later removed the listed achievements for HL2 and Ep1 from the Steam client, Opposing Force still has its 5 invisible ones listed.

NewFresh

Scipius said:
One further clue could be found by looking at what version of HL2 Valve ports to OSX; it would make sense to use the Source 2007 version (i.e. porting only the same build as the rest of the OB). If the concept of SteamPlay would then also apply across achievements, you could assume the Windows version will finally get the updates. AFAIK, only Portal is available so far in the Mac beta, so we don't know just yet.

Though Valve later removed the listed achievements for HL2 and Ep1 from the Steam client, Opposing Force still has its 5 invisible ones listed.

Thank God. I have been looking for an excuse to play through HL2 & Ep1 for the fourth time, but with all the games coming out lately I couldn't justify it.

Twig

Banned
Hey man I would love it if it happened, but I just won't believe it until I see it. We know it's not top priority in Valvetown, and what with TF2 and L4D1/2 and Portal 2... I just don't think they have the time (or desire) to work on it right now.

Love to be wrong, though. :3

I find it really bizarre, though, that Opposing Force would have something, though. (And yeah that's what I was thinking of, not CS:S.) OpFor before HL1? Really? I'm guessing that's just a weird glitch in the system... Last I heard, they don't even really want to think about OpFor ever again.

Chrono

Banned
Question, I'm starting the first half-life now and just messing around with random chapters of the game, before I start a real one, there seems to be a real problem with loading. Walking around in the same room/corridor requires loading, and I think I even saw more than one loading in the exact same spot. Isn't the whole damn point is to load that area so there's no need to do it again. -_-

When I downloaded the game I discovered you can play any chapter so I thought I'd mess around with a few, I don't remember if that's new or was always there, for years every time I try this game I stop in the tutorial/training because it's so boring but now I want to finish it to play orange box on ps3.

derFeef

Chrono said:
Question, I'm starting the first half-life now and just messing around with random chapters of the game, before I start a real one, there seems to be a real problem with loading. Walking around in the same room/corridor requires loading, and I think I even saw more than one loading in the exact same spot. Isn't the whole damn point is to load that area so there's no need to do it again. -_- .

That is how loading in HL works, it suddenly pops up and you load the next area. If you have two loadings in a short time frame, you probably went the wrong way and into to the previous area accidently.

epmode

Chrono said:
Question, I'm starting the first half-life now and just messing around with random chapters of the game, before I start a real one, there seems to be a real problem with loading. Walking around in the same room/corridor requires loading, and I think I even saw more than one loading in the exact same spot. Isn't the whole damn point is to load that area so there's no need to do it again. -_-
Half-Life 1 and 2 don't steam level information. Those loading screens are the game loading an entirely new map so it stands to reason that doubling back would cause the game to reload the one you just came from.

I feel that the lack of map streaming is still Source's big drawback. It wasn't a huge deal in HL1 since the load times are so short but it's a big problem for HL2's vehicle sections.

Oreoleo

If it means I don't have to deal with constant micro-stuttering from the HDD being accessed all the time, I say keep the streaming out of Source games.

Chrono

Banned
Is the loading problem better or worse in half-life 2 and the episodes?

What about the console versions of orange box, I know the graphics are better on PC if you have the hardware, but what about the loading? I'll be playing the console (ps3) version either way, I'm only playing the first half-life on this laptop because I don't have another choice, but I'm curious.

Kerrinck

Chrono said:

What about the console versions of orange box, I know the graphics are better on PC if you have the hardware, but what about the loading? I'll be playing the console (ps3) version either way, I'm only playing the first half-life on this laptop because I don't have another choice, but I'm curious.

Loadings are pretty short on the pc version. It loads for a bit when you enter a new area but it takes a long while until it loads again.
I played both versions(pc and ps3) and I remember the loading being a bit longer on the ps3, but nothing too annoying.

Chrono said:

If you have a modern machine, the load times are at worst 5 seconds long. In the episodes, the maps are far larger, hence a lot less loading. Really, making any sort of mention of the loading in half life games today is just plain silly. It was, however, an annoyance when computers sucked and the majority of machines took ~20 seconds to load.

neoism

guys, can I buy L4D2, and play Gerry's mod with it.... Is it considered a steam engine game?

Also does LD42, and Gerry's mod have 360 pad support???

Spwn

neoism said:
guys, can I buy L4D2, and play Gerry's mod with it.... Is it considered a steam engine game?

Yes and yes.

Also does LD42, and Gerry's mod have 360 pad support???

I'm fairly certain that you can play L4D2 with a 360pad. Not sure about Garry's Mod, though.

cw_sasuke said:
PB Winterbottom is sooo awesome :eek:

Hell yea! Loving it too! Great puzzles that make you think, but at the same time are not way too hard.

rezuth

TouchMyBox said:
If you have a modern machine, the load times are at worst 5 seconds long. In the episodes, the maps are far larger, hence a lot less loading. Really, making any sort of mention of the loading in half life games today is just plain silly. It was, however, an annoyance when computers sucked and the majority of machines took ~20 seconds to load.
When HL2 came out it took my machine around 2-3mins to load each map :lol

neoism

Darkflight said:
Done - I imagine I'll be seeing more of you in the Reach beta come the 3rd than on Steam though :lol
lol yeah, I've wanted Gmod for a loonng time though, I hope to at least play a good amount of L4D2, Gmod before the 3rd! :)

neoism

So Garry's mod is insane:lol :lol :lol soo much fun.
I got a question for you steam heads, this has to do with Win7 too, but I'm not sure where else to post this. I'd like the launch the game from my task-bar. L4D2 pinned just fine. But, every-time I launch Gmod from steam, I get a hl2 icon, and when I pin it, it doesn't work. Is launching it from steam the only way!!???

luiztfc

So I'm really enjoying Winterbottom. And it is so cheap (in terms of price) that I'll buy another copy and gift to a fellow gaffer. There's no catch, I'll send it to the first one to pm me with the steam account.

Costanza

Banned
luiztfc said:
So I'm really enjoying Winterbottom. And it is so cheap (in terms of price) that I'll buy another copy and gift to a fellow gaffer. There's no catch, I'll send it to the first one to pm me with the steam account.
PM'd you but I'm probably too late. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom