• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctalamode

Neo Member
Is it worth it to get this instead of Colonies? What are the main differences in Colonies?

And has anyone picked up EndWar or Ceville yet?

Just bought the game after signing into Steam and seeing the deal. Was amazed because as I was signing in I thought about buying Lost Planet; never got around to playing it and since the new LP2 trailer has surfaced I've been interested...

Blizzard

Banned
I don't have the Colonies edition mentioned earlier, but it looked like that version has way more. Steam doesn't seem to have it...is it worth getting this? $5 -is- low, and the game looks interesting...

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
I don't have the Colonies edition mentioned earlier, but it looked like that version has way more. Steam doesn't seem to have it...is it worth getting this? $5 -is- low, and the game looks interesting...

Colonies Edition has better online play, but if you don't care about that, it doesn't matter. It's just 1 mode and a few maps.

rezuth

Blizzard said:
Steam version is getting a 400MB patch that will get it up with more stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
rezuth said:
Steam version is getting a 400MB patch that will get it up with more stuff.

But that will be sold as a different game? Or an extension to this one that you pay for?

I was just about to buy it, but now I'm gonna wait for the answer. XD I did the same thing with STALKER...owned the original, bought the Steam version for $5, and still haven't played much more because I have too many games.

Zzoram

I don't have time to play the games I own, but STEAM sales keep tempting me to buy more. It is only $5 I guess. Well, $6.40 Canadian. It just kinda bugs me that this version doesn't have LIVE achievements.

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
But that will be sold as a different game? Or an extension to this one that you pay for?

I was just about to buy it, but now I'm gonna wait for the answer. XD I did the same thing with STALKER...owned the original, bought the Steam version for $5, and still haven't played much more because I have too many games.

The patch sounds like just a free game update.

Mrbob

Zzoram said:
I don't have time to play the games I own, but STEAM sales keep tempting me to buy more. It is only $5 I guess. Well, $6.40 Canadian. It just kinda bugs me that this version doesn't have LIVE achievements.

Collecting games on steam is an achievement onto itself. :D

ctalamode said:
Is it worth it to get this instead of Colonies? What are the main differences in Colonies?

And has anyone picked up EndWar or Ceville yet?
Colonies pc also allows play against 360 users and vice-versa, vanilla lost planet is limited like every other game.

Zzoram

LovingSteam said:
Where was it confirmed that the Steam version is getting the Colonies update?

No news on that front. It would be nice, but Capcom and Valve aren't on good terms these days.

Blizzard

Banned
Zzoram said:
No news on that front. It would be nice, but Capcom and Valve aren't on good terms these days.

Aww. Sounds like it'd just be luck, then, and I should go ahead and get the basic Lost Planet.

Zzoram said:

How so? Just because of Bionic Commando?
I think Capcom learnt a lesson thee because Flock is already announced for Steam.
EDIT: Maybe i am thinking of something else. Can't seem to find that news now. Hmmmm

As an aside, anyone know if GamersGate or Impulse will list prices in £ with/without creating an account? I want to get Bionic Commando at some point but not if I have to buy it at the Euro price with the current shoddy exchange rate.

Zzoram

Kamakazie! said:
How so? Just because of Bionic Commando?
I think Capcom learnt a lesson thee because Flock is already announced for Steam.

As an aside, anyone know if GamersGate or Impulse will list prices in £ with/without creating an account? I want to get Bionic Commando at some point but not if I have to buy it at the Euro price with the current shoddy exchange rate.

Capcom wanted to charge double for Bionic Commando on STEAM than XBLA, then they didn't release their newer PC stuff on STEAM.

Zzoram said:
Capcom wanted to charge double for Bionic Commando on STEAM than XBLA, then they didn't release their newer PC stuff on STEAM.

Yeah maybe you are right, i could have sworn that i saw that Flock was coming to Steam though.
I want to keep my DD down to 2 or at most 3 places but these damn publishers are making it difficult to do.
It is looking like it is gonna have to be a Steam, GamersGate & Impulse trio but i'd like to cut out one of the last two. Maybe I will give BC:R a miss for now.
The Euro prices on GamersGate are killing that at the moment anyhow.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LP for $5? Insta-bought.

I'm stoked. I've been meaning to play this game for a while. I was about to buy the game for a fair bit more a few days ago. :lol

Thanks Steam.

Picked up Lost Planet for the hell of it. I'm a lot more impressed with the game's engine than I am with the game itself. But $5 is so cheap I don't regret the purchase.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they could have patched the original game, why did they release the updated version again on PC?

Anyway, that's probably the only reason I don't want to get it... but yeah, at 5 bucks, it's hard to skip.

Mrbob

Looking at the steam stats there are some interesting trends. I notice dawn of war 2 has been hanging in the top 5 most played games on steam, which does jive with seeing the game dethroned L4D as the top selling steam game since it released. You can see stats here:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Just view players per game. There is a pretty sharp drop off in players after the sixth game.

Also, their hardware survey for Jan 09 is intriguing:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Nvidia dominating the video front and Intel dominating the cpu front No surprise. Dual core taking up over 50 percent of users on steam, and Windows Vista is still only 1/3 of the steam userbase afte all this time! You can see the rest for yourself on this page, interesting.

epmode

Hay, Ceville seems pretty decent. Might be too pricey at $40 (hard to tell from the demo) but the production values are good.

0000007492.1024x768.jpg

Can't hurt to try the demo, GAF!

Mrbob

Anyone play Stubbs the Zombie?

I always heard the game was interesting, and the title is only $9.99 on steam so I'm thinking about biting on the title.

Blizzard

Banned
Mrbob said:
Anyone play Stubbs the Zombie?

I always heard the game was interesting, and the title is only $9.99 on steam so I'm thinking about biting on the title.

I'm like the advertiser of Stubbs the Zombie. I think it was on sale for $5 a while back, which is awesome, but $10 is still good.

A lot of people don't seem to like it, but it's actually one of the best zombie games I've ever played. It's very funny and very creative, and I liked the gameplay, generally. It's third-person, and you can throw intestine grenades, use a fart stun attack, and roll your head as special attacks. The intestine grenades are the main useful ones, though. For normal attacks, you can slash and eat people's brains, so you build your own zombie army as you go, assuming you don't get them all killed (you can whistle and tell them which way to go, and use them to distract while you engage in more devious tactics).

And best of all, you can use your own disembodied hand to take over humans, to do stealth gameplay and use shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and so forth.

Anyway, I dunno if that sounds lame, but I thought it was really funny and quite enjoyable, even though I didn't ever beat the final boss. I like the retro-futuristic 50's style, and the music is pretty great (I bought the soundtrack). And the dance battle halfway through is AMAZING.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I had to purchase Lost Planet for £3.50, I spend more parking my car to go shopping.

MNC

Blizzard said:
I'm like the advertiser of Stubbs the Zombie. I think it was on sale for $5 a while back, which is awesome, but $10 is still good.

A lot of people don't seem to like it, but it's actually one of the best zombie games I've ever played. It's very funny and very creative, and I liked the gameplay, generally. It's third-person, and you can throw intestine grenades, use a fart stun attack, and roll your head as special attacks. The intestine grenades are the main useful ones, though. For normal attacks, you can slash and eat people's brains, so you build your own zombie army as you go, assuming you don't get them all killed (you can whistle and tell them which way to go, and use them to distract while you engage in more devious tactics).

And best of all, you can use your own disembodied hand to take over humans, to do stealth gameplay and use shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and so forth.

Anyway, I dunno if that sounds lame, but I thought it was really funny and quite enjoyable, even though I didn't ever beat the final boss. I like the retro-futuristic 50's style, and the music is pretty great (I bought the soundtrack). And the dance battle halfway through is AMAZING.

Wish I could play it. Somehow I got quite some errors starting it up despite it being on the halo engine and I could perfectly play that :S

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
Wish I could play it. Somehow I got quite some errors starting it up despite it being on the halo engine and I could perfectly play that :S

What OS and errors? I wonder if there was a workaround.

MNC

Blizzard said:
What OS and errors? I wonder if there was a workaround.
Well, it was quite some time back with XP and a FX5200... It gave me some Nvidia errors, I think. Since then I upgraded to a 7600GT and got a laptop so it's bound to work now, no doubt, but I haven't tried since and if it did work back then I think I would've kept my eyes more closely on it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Eh, I just can't do Lost Planet. I like the action, but the "collect energy tablets to stay alive" mechanic kills it for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, and one final note to convince everyone to buy Stubbs: It's the only game I can think of that has a third-person urination gameplay sequence.

And not to spoil the scene/atmosphere, but it is an EPIC third-person urination gameplay sequence. :lol

Mrbob

Morrowind? Or do you mean Oblivion.

I saw Oblivion GOTY edition at Wal Mart for 20 bucks. Almost picked it up but I would rather have it on steam.

Oh, and I figured out my isses with TLR. You can move the mouse around without hitting a button, just set it to standard. I swear that option wasn't there the first time I checked it out. Unfortunately I didn't see a way to enable the mouse in the menu screens which would help. Might pick it up again at 75 perecent off for $9.99 on a weekend sale versus $2.99 now. :p

Deacan said:
I had to purchase Lost Planet for £3.50, I spend more parking my car to go shopping.
Yeah i kinda wish i had picked it up now. Bargain when compared to flights i just booked going up £13 in 5 minutes between searching and getting round to paying :(.

Mrbob said:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Nvidia dominating the video front and Intel dominating the cpu front No surprise. Dual core taking up over 50 percent of users on steam, and Windows Vista is still only 1/3 of the steam userbase afte all this time! You can see the rest for yourself on this page, interesting.
AMD would be ecstatic if that was the sort of market share they had across the board!
No surprise to see nVidia with such a big lead. The 8800 generation must have made quite a large impact on the %'s.

vertopci

LovingSteam said:
So it seems that Morrowind GOTY edition is going to be arriving on Steam in the near future :)

I already have them but...I might...rebuy again...

Does GOTY include the expansions?

Mrbob

Yeah the Nvidia 8800 is the new ATI 9800PRO.

I have one...I've helped build two pcs with the card in them. It is a great powerhouse card at a low price.

Oh and the GOTY editions contain the expansions.

vertopci

Mrbob said:
Yeah the Nvidia 8800 is the new ATI 9800PRO.

I have one...I've helped build two pcs with the card in them. It is a great powerhouse card at a low price.

Oh and the GOTY editions contain the expansions.

Guess I'll be rebuying it....

Chris R

I might double dip on Morrowind as well, so I don't have to worry about trying to find my discs whenever I want to play :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom