• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MNC said:
Is Guild Wars recommendable? I don't have any money left but an MMO with no online fee is always good :(

I find it hard to recommend with GW2 release still slated for this year (right?). It won't have any monthly fee either.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
MNC said:
Is Guild Wars recommendable? I don't have any money left but an MMO with no online fee is always good :(
I thought it was very good, a lot of content...I found myself unable to beat any of the campaigns after roughly 3 years of on and off playing. It was far too easy to get distracted, also the events were very cool - my favorite being the chinese new year minigames (bug racing :lol )

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I'll repost this here just in case (thx MNC)

Anyone interested in doing some game trading? I can't use paypal but i can gift games to other people (indirectly) so i was wondering if someone would do me the favor of gifting me the GTA Classics pack (7.50 bucks right now) in exchange of me gifting you a 10 dollar game in return, obviously i would gift the 10 dollar game first. I know this not the best option but it's the best i could come up with.

EDIT: Thank you scitek!

Twig

Banned
MNC said:
It's very fun. But it's not an MMO so don't go in expecting one.

GW2 will be an actual MMO and also will have no fees, so I'd probably say wait for that?!

Helmholtz

Hawkian said:
I find it hard to recommend with GW2 release still slated for this year (right?). It won't have any monthly fee either.
Can you confirm this? I'm pretty sure the date is still TBA, and I can't see it coming out until next year or possibly 2012.
I can recommend GW, spent over 1000 hours in it and enjoyed it a lot. 20 dollars for all three games is ridiculously cheap. The community isn't quite what it used to be, but there are still a fair amount of people playing.

scitek

Gexecuter said:
I'll repost this here just in case (thx MNC)

Anyone interested in doing some game trading? I can't use paypal but i can gift games to other people (indirectly) so i was wondering if someone would do me the favor of gifting me the GTA Classics pack (7.50 bucks right now) in exchange of me gifting you a 10 dollar game in return, obviously i would gift the 10 dollar game first. I know this not the best option but it's the best i could come up with.

Check your PMs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Helmholtz said:
Can you confirm this? I'm pretty sure the date is still TBA, and I can't see it coming out until next year or possibly 2012.
I can recommend GW, spent over 1000 hours in it and enjoyed it a lot. 20 dollars for all three games is ridiculously cheap. The community isn't quite what it used to be, but there are still a fair amount of people playing.

Seems you're right, target Q4 2010, likely q1-2 2011.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck I should have waited on buying Guild Wars from D2D when they had for sale for $20. I would much prefer to have it on Steam. D2D doesn't even host the whole client, they just give you the download for the streaming client. I started the game and made a character, but quickly stopped because I had to download like 30mb when first entering the game and the download was taking too long. I fucking hate streaming MMORPG clients.

Desaparecido said:
Are 3/VC/SA as story-driven as 4?

Definitely VC and SA. GTA3 has a mute protagonist and the story is kind of told in arcs as you move from one mission giving character to another, but it's still interesting enough to keep you playing. Voice acting in VC and SA is also superb, with Ray Liotta, Samuel L. Jackson, Dennis Hopper, Chris Penn, and many others doing a fantastic job.

Trouble

Banned
Anyone else have the feeling that I do that on Friday they will drop the price of the whole collection to %75 off for 3 hours. Forums will explode. :lol

Moobabe

Question about the GTA pack: If you already own a game in it and you buy it, do you get a second copy of the game to gift to someone else?

legend166

Is the GTA sale over or can some be nice and gift it to me and I'll PayPal you the cash.

Oh yeah: steam id legend166 or email adorber at gmail dot com.

Trouble said:
Anyone else have the feeling that I do that on Friday they will drop the price of the whole collection to %75 off for 3 hours. Forums will explode. :lol
No. The pack price is already at about 75% off what it would be if you bought all the games individually.

MNC

Twig said:
It's very fun. But it's not an MMO so don't go in expecting one.

GW2 will be an actual MMO and also will have no fees, so I'd probably say wait for that?!
Ah, so this is more like smaller groups online in servers? That's fun too. Though the fact that I'm considering GW has to do with this price, ofcourse :p

Psy-Phi

Zefah said:
Fuck I should have waited on buying Guild Wars from D2D when they had for sale for $20. I would much prefer to have it on Steam. D2D doesn't even host the whole client, they just give you the download for the streaming client. I started the game and made a character, but quickly stopped because I had to download like 30mb when first entering the game and the download was taking too long. I fucking hate streaming MMORPG clients.
You can force it to sync completely with the servers by adding -image to a shortcut to gw.exe so it reads something like

"c:\program files\guild wars\gw.exe" -image

Then it will download all the upates and areas/models at the time of that running. Remove it after it completes (because it will just automatically close the client after it completes). Launch the game and have fun.

I doubt the Steam version downloads anything more than the download client as well. The game is so fluid. Every time there's a holiday the city maps change, you'd always have to download something.

Twig

Banned
MNC said:
Ah, so this is more like smaller groups online in servers? That's fun too. Though the fact that I'm considering GW has to do with this price, ofcourse :p
There are hubs, the towns, that you can meet up with people. Within those towns is where it's most like an MMO. But it's basically just a glorified chat room with trading and shit.

Outside the towns, everything is instanced, so you can only go out there with the party you're in. The PvP is also all instanced. (And is completely separate from the "main" PvE game.)

Inkwell

Banned
I'm debating whether I should pick up Guild Wars or not. The last time I played it was during one of those free weekends before the game was released and I had a blast playing it.

Twig

Banned
Heyyyy, anyone else have trouble getting sound working in Max Payne? I bought it ages ago and am only now getting around to it.

Complete and utter silence during cutscenes. Opening video had sound. The menu has sound (but no music... I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some). Then I start the game, and SILENCE. Helicotper flies quietly bye. Police sirens make no noise. There's no voice acting during the comic-style cutscenes (which I think I remember from my brief time playing it on PS2 a looooong time ago). Then I get past the cutscenes and I have background noise but no music (again I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some or if that IS the music). That's when I quit.

Or is Max Payne just a game of random SILENCE?

I'm in Windows 7.

MNC

Twig said:
Heyyyy, anyone else have trouble getting sound working in Max Payne? I bought it ages ago and am only now getting around to it.

Complete and utter silence during cutscenes. Opening video had sound. The menu has sound (but no music... I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some). Then I start the game, and SILENCE. Helicotper flies quietly bye. Police sirens make no noise. There's no voice acting during the comic-style cutscenes (which I think I remember from my brief time playing it on PS2 a looooong time ago). Then I get past the cutscenes and I have background noise but no music (again I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some or if that IS the music). That's when I quit.

I'm in Windows 7.
Lemme boot it up to check. First scene, you say?

Opening video has sound.
Menu has sound, no music. Don't think it ever had that.
Quiet chopper... No sirens... Holy shit :lol :lol

I didn't even notice at first but I'm having the exact same trouble as you! I do however get voice acting with ingame cutscenes. No music whatsoever though.

Running Vista 32x.

Moobabe

Inkwell said:
I'm debating whether I should pick up Guild Wars or not. The last time I played it was during one of those free weekends before the game was released and I had a blast playing it.

Do it - there's some gaffers around who still play - we just need to get them all together in one Guild.

hamchan

Coop said:
Such a dick move by Rockstar

talking about the GTA classics btw
Yeah it is :lol

GTA1 & 2 are available for free and GTA3 and VC were just on sale for $2.50 each. They could have put SA up for $2.50 but nope, up comes this pack instead. So the people who bought either of the games on sale and were waiting for SA to go on sale now have to pay extra.

Thomper

hamchan said:
Yeah it is :lol

GTA1 & 2 are available for free and GTA3 and VC were just on sale for $2.50 each. They could have put SA up for $2.50 but nope, up comes this pack instead. So the people who bought either of the games on sale and were waiting for SA to go on sale now have to pay extra.
There's two more days of the sale left, Rockstar doesn't have that many games, I'm pretty sure we'll see GTA SA seperately as well.

Twig said:

I'm in Windows 7.
I downloaded this, and haven't had any problems. http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35504

Nelo Ice

Banned
Ikuu said:
It does, sorta, you just need to get hold of a cracked .exe.

whew dont need to buy the gta classic pack then

i already beat the gta III VC and san andreas on ps2 and the only reason id pick up the pack is for pc mods :lol

Puck said:
Apologies, fixed my link.
Oh now it makes sense, I was confused. :lol

BuddhaRockstar said:
Definitely VC and SA. GTA3 has a mute protagonist and the story is kind of told in arcs as you move from one mission giving character to another, but it's still interesting enough to keep you playing. Voice acting in VC and SA is also superb, with Ray Liotta, Samuel L. Jackson, Dennis Hopper, Chris Penn, and many others doing a fantastic job.
scitek said:
I can attest that SA is. It's fantastic.
Guess I'll get VC and SA at some point, then, thanks.

Thomper said:
There's two more days of the sale left, Rockstar doesn't have that many games, I'm pretty sure we'll see GTA SA seperately as well.
And if it does go on sale, and there were people who already bought 3 and VC and then the GTA pack...

All these random sales are making me buy less, not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom