• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teknoman said:
Steam community down again?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784745&page=13

M. Rhoten said:
Hi everyone,

We'll be updating some of the Steam servers tomorrow, around 16:00 PDT (GMT-0700) on Wednesday April 28. Chat, game lobbies, and the community web site will be affected. Content downloads and game play should not be affected. There is no database maintenance scheduled for this update, so the downtime should be short.

Edit: Pushing back one day to Wednesday April 28.

graywolf323

that was odd never seen something like that before

had a little window pop up saying my account credentials had expired and I needed to log back in :-/

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
graywolf323 said:

had a little window pop up saying my account credentials had expired and I needed to log back in :-/
Same. At first I thought it was a phishing scam, but it is apparently legit.

Aon said:
Me too.

Anyone know what the new client beta is all about?

New Steam Client Beta Available 4/27

There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Steam Client Beta, and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

4/27/2010

- Fixed high CPU usage on some machines caused by WebKit windows running their frame loop at a fast rate even when not visible
- Fixed high CPU usage on moving a Steam window where more redrawing was occurring than was needed
- Added the ability to enable or disable DirectWrite based font-rendering in the settings dialog
- Fixed store page not being shown correctly on trying to accept an invite to a game you don’t own
- Fixed some highlight styles in friends chats when selecting text
- Fixed some unneeded .mdmp file creation when launching mods
- Added back 16x16 icon support for mods, and now supporting new 32x32 icon. Mod authors should add a 32x32 icon with the same name as the 16x16 but with _big added to the end of the filename.
- Fixed potential memory corruption crash for some first time users installing from a retail install disc
- Fixed a crash on exit when requests for app icon data were still in-flight
- Fixed pause/resume button sizing in non-english languages on downloads page
- Improved hit testing on frame buttons (minimize, maximize, close)
- Improved hit testing in text entry controls
- Fixed the in-game browser hanging on maps.google.com
- Fixed custom cursors showing as no cursor in the in-game browser (custom cursors are still not supported, but the arrow cursor will now be shown at least)
- Improved error handling in the in-game browser so instead of testshell-error: you’ll get a more useful error page shown in the browser window
- Additional strings and fixes for non-english languages

Are there any kind gaffers that could gift an Aussie the classics pack?

I'd gladly repay you via paypal, but it'll take around a week for me to transfer from my bank account.

my steam ID is davonaytor

Thanks.

Inkwell

Banned
Moobabe said:
Do it - there's some gaffers around who still play - we just need to get them all together in one Guild.
I may just pick it up then. I hate steam and it's sales. I have a big enough backlog as it is.

Unreal Development Kit will be distributed through Steam. It is currently in the Tools section, but I do not believe you are able to download it currently.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
crimsonheadGCN said:
Unreal Development Kit will be distributed through Steam. It is currently in the Tools section, but I do not believe you are able to download it currently.

Awesome, it makes sense since they have incorporated Steamworks technology for engine licenses. I downloaded it a couple times, but it always updated before I got around to it, so I would DL again and then fail to get to it in time again. Having it autoupdate will solve that problem :)

Chris R

crimsonheadGCN said:
NICE! I was going to buy Unreal Black during the Winter Holiday sale, but it never really dropped as low as I wanted it :(

Blizzard

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
I had downloaded a couple of versions...if it really autoupdates with Steam (and the updates don't break anything) that would be nice.

Alphalpha

Neo Member
many thanks to zombieshavebrains for helping gift R* collection to another oppressed aussie!

great to see such a helpful community of gamers

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Pretty big update to TF2, don't really agree with some of the changes.

Team Fortress 2

* Added new community map cp_freight
* Added missing physics models for several items
* Added jiggle bones to the Sam & Max items, and The Buff Banner
* Added Crit-a-Cola

Dedicated Server

* Linux optimizations.
* Fixed Linux servers not relisting correctly after a master server restart
* Fixed a case where servers could have "ghost" players consuming player slots

Engine

* Marked the "snd_show" convar as a cheat

Gameplay Changes

* Pyro changes
o Flamethrower direct damage reduced 20%.
o Burn duration reduced (10 -> 6 seconds).
o Airblast re-fire delay reduced by 25%.
o Airblast ammo usage reduced by 20%.
o All reflected rockets/grenades/arrows now mini-crit.
o Airblasting enemies into environmental deaths now awards the death credit to the Pyro.
* Heavy changes
o Minigun spin-up/down time reduced by 25%
o Minigun firing movement speed increased to just under half-normal (from 80 to 110).
o Throwing a sandvich to a teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).
* Bonk! changes
o Post-use movement penalty removed.
o Now has a re-use cooldown time, like The Sandman.
* The Chargin' Target changes
o Direct charge hit now does 50 damage + 10 per head (up to 5 heads).
o Capped the turn rate from +left and +right while charging.
* The Huntsman changes
o Removed restriction that arrows need to be aimed before they can be lit by a Pyro.
o Bow can now be lowered without losing the lit arrow.
o Changed bow so you can start charging it while you're jumping, but you can't fire until you're on the ground.
o Fixed bug where flame effect would get stuck on if you change weapons with a lit arrow.
* Backpack changes
o Moved Crafting button out to the root class/backpack selection panel.
o Dragging and dropping items in your backpack now makes appropriate sounds.
* Bot changes
o Bots don't retreat to gather health as readily if they are in combat.
o Bots no longer retreat when moving to block a point capture.
o Bots should now equip an appropriate combat weapon and fight while moving to collect health.
o Bots who are roaming the map and hunting now chase down their victims, following them around corners.
o Bots That fire projectiles (ie: rockets/grenades/etc) don't hold down their fire button for a minimum time. This was causing Soldier bots to fire rockets into nearby walls as they strafed, killing themselves.
o Soldiers bots now switch to their shotgun after firing all four rockets when engaging an enemy.
o Added a few more bot names from community suggestions.
o Fixed a behavior loop with Engineer metal gathering.
* The Sandman change
o Added a slight speed reduction to stunned players.
* Community requests
o Added ConVars log_verbose_enable and log_verbose_interval to report player positions in the server log at regular intervals
+ log_verbose_enable default: 0
+ log_verbose_interval default: 3 secs
o "Last-weapon" initialization on respawn now sets itself to be the melee weapon if you don’t have a selectable secondary weapon (like The Razorback).

Bug Fixes

* Fixed an case where The Gunboats didn’t apply their damage reduction properly.
* The amount count in the HUD now flashes red when you’re low on ammo.
* Extinguishing a burning teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).
* Fixed a permanent overheal exploit involving dispensers.
* Fixed a bug in spectator mode where the user aborted out of freezecam, setup a spec mode (like IN_EYE), and would then have the setting stomped after the freezecam timer expired.
* Fixed bug with disguised spy sometimes seeing his own name in the disguise status HUD.
* Fixed a client crash that could result from players with arrows embedded in them.
* Fixed items that can be worn by any class having the wrong model when worn by a disguised Spy.
* Added missing map prefixes to server browser game types.
* Killing yourself with your own sentry no longer increments the sentry's kill counter.
* Fixed dropped hats sometimes having the wrong team color.
* Fixed crit-boosted players not getting critical hits if their weapon has custom no-crit behavior.
* Fixed the achievement dialog taking a long time to pop up, and completed achievements now sort to the bottom of the list.
* Fixed Spies disguised as Medics hearing the autocaller sound.

Go buy Max Payne 2. Played it a few months back and its definitely worth the $2.50. The combat is fun, and most importantly, it runs on Vista/Win7 fine (Unlike Max Payne 1, where I couldn't hear any voices).

The Big Rig said:
Go buy Max Payne 2. Played it a few months back and its definitely worth the $2.50. The combat is fun, and most importantly, it runs on Vista/Win7 fine (Unlike Max Payne 1, where I couldn't hear any voices).
See:
Twig said:
Heyyyy, anyone else have trouble getting sound working in Max Payne? I bought it ages ago and am only now getting around to it.

Complete and utter silence during cutscenes. Opening video had sound. The menu has sound (but no music... I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some). Then I start the game, and SILENCE. Helicotper flies quietly bye. Police sirens make no noise. There's no voice acting during the comic-style cutscenes (which I think I remember from my brief time playing it on PS2 a looooong time ago). Then I get past the cutscenes and I have background noise but no music (again I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some or if that IS the music). That's when I quit.

Or is Max Payne just a game of random SILENCE?

I'm in Windows 7.
A Dog Chasing Cars said:
I downloaded this, and haven't had any problems. http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35504

Instro

Affeinvasion said:
Just from reading it looks like they nerfed pyros. Considering every game I've been playing lately is just demo spam...smh

Dunno about that, sounds like they buffed the airblast big time. The minus to direct damage on the Flamethrower isnt that huge.

Snagged Max Payne 2, awesome getting the original and this for $5 total, only games I really wanted out of the Rockstar sale too.

Twig

Banned
Affeinvasion said:
If I'm playing as a pyro I want to light things on fire...not blast an air cannon.
So use the backburner.

OH GOD NOT THE BACKBURNER BACKBURNER IS FOR NOOBS OH GOD

you fucking people

Sibylus

Banned
Affeinvasion said:
If I'm playing as a pyro I want to light things on fire...not blast an air cannon.
Bro, I play plenty of Pyro... and you miss the point. Backburner, shotgun, flare gun, axe, axtinguisher, there's tons of playstyle options and you miss out if all you're doing is spraying dudes with the vanilla flamethrower. Airblast buff is more than welcome.

The Big Rig said:
Glad to hear, I played the first one but never got to play the 2nd. Just bought it.

Yikes, GTA3 is a mess. Had to disable D3DOverrider to get it to work and even then it stutters every few seconds. Also, I hope whoever created the "trails on" option was fired.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Yikes, GTA3 is a mess. Had to disable D3DOverrider to get it to work and even then it stutters every few seconds. Also, I hope whoever created the "trails on" option was fired.

I wanted to use D3DO on VC and it just keeps flashing and beeping at me. Oh well.

graywolf323 said:

Yeah I was weirded out by that too. Thought it might be a scam attempt at first.

Xdrive05

Yo, GAF. What's the history of Left 4 Dead 2 going on sale? Any reason to think it might be on sale again this weekend? Or any reason to think it definitely won't?

Xdrive05 said:
Yo, GAF. What's the history of Left 4 Dead 2 going on sale? Any reason to think it might be on sale again this weekend? Or any reason to think it definitely won't?
It was just on sale because of the release of The Passing. I wouldn't count on one soon.

Xdrive05 said:

It was just on sale about a week age, so there's pretty much no chance of it being on sale against soon.

BuddhaRockstar said:
mine ran fine with D3D. just that the game is capped at 30fps which is fine by me i guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Boo, my old Steam client is gone. I do wish there was a classic view, unless I'm missing something. I appreciate being able to sort the 100 games, but the simple alphabetical installed/not installed view worked fine for me. :lol

Haeleos

firehawk12 said:
Boo, my old Steam client is gone. I do wish there was a classic view, unless I'm missing something. I appreciate being able to sort the 100 games, but the simple alphabetical installed/not installed view worked fine for me. :lol

Top right corner. View: List.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom