• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik81

MrMister said:
So how's Guild Wars? Worth the $20 for the Trilogy collection? Should I just get the base game by itself? Should I not bother at all?
Get the trilogy. Definitely worth it. The base game is solid, but the expansions add some features that are rather nice, like controllable NPCs.

firehawk12 said:
Boo, my old Steam client is gone. I do wish there was a classic view, unless I'm missing something. I appreciate being able to sort the 100 games, but the simple alphabetical installed/not installed view worked fine for me. :lol

Just change your settings. Mine looks pretty similar to how it was before.
Sort by status (I sorted by it, then hid the column). Set it to all games. Hide whatever columns you don't want.
steamsorting.png

DMPrince said:
you're right. let me try to run the game again :lol.

game did drop in framerate though when i ran over someone. wtf.

Yeah I had frequent frame drops and stutters for no apparent reason, and the camera seemed.. not sure how to describe it, but jerky, not smooth at all when moving it with the mouse while walking.

Truespeed

I'm kind of sad I missed the GTA classic pack. Hopefully, they'll have a free for all so I can pick it up again or SA and VC for 2.50. These instant deals are ridiculous. Just have a daily deal and be done with it. It just frustrates people when your marketing people pull stupid stunts like these.

Man, I've been missing all of these R* sales, but I managed to snag Max Payne 2. Anyway I can use a PS3/360 controller with it? I just can't imagine playing Max Payne without a controller.

Truespeed

Lionel Mandrake said:
Man, I've been missing all of these R* sales, but I managed to snag Max Payne 2. Anyway I can use a PS3/360 controller with it? I just can't imagine playing Max Payne without a controller.

I just tried GTA 3, a game released around the same time frame, and it worked well with a 360 controller.

Psy-Phi

BuddhaRockstar said:
Yikes, GTA3 is a mess. Had to disable D3DOverrider to get it to work and even then it stutters every few seconds. Also, I hope whoever created the "trails on" option was fired.

Runs perfectly here too, just had to disable the trails because holy hell was that a mess to look at. Way too much motion blur :p. I'm actually shocked at how great it ran for being an old game. usually I have to toy around with some kind of options other than just upping the resolution and turning off one feature I don't like. And it looks super clean too. Very impressed.

firehawk12 said:
Boo, my old Steam client is gone. I do wish there was a classic view, unless I'm missing something. I appreciate being able to sort the 100 games, but the simple alphabetical installed/not installed view worked fine for me. :lol
Mess around with the view options, you can get that back.

You'll want the "Small View", and then just sort by installed or all games. If you add all your installed games to your favorites, (or use categories), you can then have all your installed games on top in the favorites view (or all games view if you use categories).

Max Payne 2 is so mine, too.

I wish these were 24 hour sales. I've only caught this one and Vice City. :( I was tempted by Bully but £4 still seemed a bit much for that game, as bad as that sounds as I've heard it's really good.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lionel Mandrake said:

My brain can't process that. Precision is required on the PC version.

Salsa

wow @ TF2 updates, allthough i think i like them.

Wtf is a crit-a-cola ?

edit:nvm, just checked, cool!

also, thanks a lot Calibrated Chaos!! :D sent you a pm

I go to Uni for 3 hours today and Max Payne 2 is on sale for those very hours. Just wonderful. Hopefully they'll repeat the sales in a Friday blitzkrieg or something. (Perhaps they should not market it like that, though.)

vocab

Lionel Mandrake said:

Max Payne was originally a PC game before it got ported to consoles. It plays 100x better with Mouse and Keyboard.

IceMarker

Slavik81 said:
Get the trilogy. Definitely worth it. The base game is solid, but the expansions add some features that are rather nice, like controllable NPCs.
I'm seriously considering buying this now, please let me know if Guild Wars Trilogy is worth the $20. Anyone else? I NEED OPINIONS.

Slavik81

I'm glad about this sale, finally the individual chapters are cheaper.

Desaparecido said:
I was considering Guild Wars, but it kinda looks like a typical MMO to me.
It's not. It plays more like a single-player RPG with heavy co-op elements than like WoW or something. When I played through it, I solo'd all the normal quests, then found groups for the story missions.

In the original game, the story missions are about 80-100 hours long. I've never beaten the other two, but I'd guess that they're of similar length. The later missions are particularly nice, since you hit the level and equipment cap about 2/3rds of the way through the original game. The rest of the journey is based entirely on your skill and teamwork.

The quests are quite varied, and though there's an occasional frustrating one, they don't have the same repetitiveness of most online RPGs.

Zzoram

I got EFLC. It's too bad the game doesn't have an AA option. Also, you apparently need 1GB vram to select High textures.

My E8400 + HD4870, maxing all the settings that it allows me to max (but sliders all at 20) pulls 30fps.

Suairyu

Banned
GTA 3 will either work well or it won't. Once it has decided how it will run on your computer there is no changing its mind. This is not related to any particular technical issue, but arcane divination that couldn't be charted by human hands.

I remember when it came out for PC, and every reviewer and forum user I came across, people with access to hardware that far out-shined my own, complained about how they could never get the thing to run well. I played it on my stock Geforce 2 which came with the family's PC-World computer and it ran smooth as lubricated butter. A few months after I upgraded to a Geforce 4, but it seemed to make no difference to performance whatsoever. GTA 3 had just decided it liked me and that was that.

deleted

Can anyone gift me Max Payne 2? Like always, germany doesn´t get the good deals :(
Will paypal you the money. My e-mail is in my profil or PM me for details.

Javaman

zombieshavebrains said:
Pretty big update to TF2, don't really agree with some of the changes.

The best change was how they "updated" the linux servers completely breaking source and mani admin mods. :eek:P

Valve fail.

xyla said:
Can anyone gift me Max Payne 2? Like always, germany doesn´t get the good deals :(
Will paypal you the money. My e-mail is in my profil or PM me for details.

I don't believe it's on sale anymore.

Suairyu said:
GTA 3 will either work well or it won't. Once it has decided how it will run on your computer there is no changing its mind. This is not related to any particular technical issue, but arcane divination that couldn't be charted by human hands.

I remember when it came out for PC, and every reviewer and forum user I came across, people with access to hardware that far out-shined my own, complained about how they could never get the thing to run well. I played it on my stock Geforce 2 which came with the family's PC-World computer and it ran smooth as lubricated butter. A few months after I upgraded to a Geforce 4, but it seemed to make no difference to performance whatsoever. GTA 3 had just decided it liked me and that was that.

It appears to be linked to the frame limiter option, if I turn it off in game, framerate jumps from the locked 30 fps (wtf) to 100+, but if the game has to do any sort of loading, like leaving a building, it crashes. Starting the game with frame limiter off doesn't work at all, and if you have D3DO it causes it to spaz out and beep at you forever. Guess I'll just have to settle for 30 fps unless there's some fix for it.

John

Slavik81 said:
It's not. It plays more like a single-player RPG with heavy co-op elements than like WoW or something. When I played through it, I solo'd all the normal quests, then found groups for the story missions.

In the original game, the story missions are about 80-100 hours long. I've never beaten the other two, but I'd guess that they're of similar length. The later missions are particularly nice, since you hit the level and equipment cap about 2/3rds of the way through the original game. The rest of the journey is based entirely on your skill and teamwork.

The quests are quite varied, and though there's an occasional frustrating one, they don't have the same repetitiveness of most online RPGs.
Does the game work as an only-occasional play? Like if I were only to boot it up once every few months or so.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
John said:
Does the game work as an only-occasional play? Like if I were only to boot it up once every few months or so.
It works very well as either an occasional play or a game you can really get into.

The PVP arena queues are short (30 second wait), there's a ton of quests and story "missions" are broken down into such a way that makes it easy for players to play for a bit at a time.

Where as a game like WoW involves a lot of prepping and walking from point A to B before being able to do C, Guild Wars is all about just jumping in and playing.

Edit: All this guild wars talk makes me want to start playing again. :lol

Hawkian said:
Wow what an incredibly awful deal compared to the classics pack
It's 75% off. The questionable thing on their part was throwing in the classics pack in the middle of the individual games. But if you bought GTA III and Vice City first, waiting until this morning for San Andreas was only a difference of $2.50 ($10 vs $7.50).

Remy

Zefah said:
Fuck I should have waited on buying Guild Wars from D2D when they had for sale for $20. I would much prefer to have it on Steam. D2D doesn't even host the whole client, they just give you the download for the streaming client. I started the game and made a character, but quickly stopped because I had to download like 30mb when first entering the game and the download was taking too long. I fucking hate streaming MMORPG clients.

Having just picked it up, I want to note that the Steam download for Triology is about 2.2GB, and I'm currently watching a "Downloading..." screen on first launch, and then another download after I created a character. So I wouldn't hold your breath that the Steam version is much better in this regard.

I really didn't mean to type "Triology", but GAF has warped my brain so much that I can't type "trilogy" properly anymore without a lot of concentration.

Man I need to pick up VC. I have everything else. Can someone give the timeline for this sale on Eastern US time. I would buy it now, but I'm in class.
Edit: Got it. 4pm Eastern time. I have to get to a computer!

Truespeed

The Big Rig said:
Man I need to pick up VC. I have everything else. Can someone give the timeline for this sale on Eastern US time. I would buy it now, but I'm in class.

There's no mention on the end time of the VC deal, but the end time of the SA deal is 11 AM PST, so VC may be the same.

The Big Rig said:

You have 3 hours and 42 minutes - 1PM Pacific = 4PM Eastern.

Zozobra

Is there a wide variety of end-game gear for all the classes in Guild Wars, or is there kinda one set that each class will end up with?

IPoopStandingUp said:
It works very well as either an occasional play or a game you can really get into.

The PVP arena queues are short (30 second wait), there's a ton of quests and story "missions" are broken down into such a way that makes it easy for players to play for a bit at a time.

Where as a game like WoW involves a lot of prepping and walking from point A to B before being able to do C, Guild Wars is all about just jumping in and playing.

Edit: All this guild wars talk makes me want to start playing again. :lol
To be totally fair, I don't know how long it's been since you played WoW but you don't prep or run around anymore. WoW is about standing around town and queuing for dungeons, battlegrounds, or arenas from the menu... you're put in a group after a few seconds and teleported to the instance automatically - if people leave the group they're replaced by the dungeon finder tool. You can technically still run around from place to place and do quests, like while you're leveling (that's the bulk of the fun for most people) but it's unnecessary and slow.

Baha

FlawlessCowboy said:
So, is San Andreas pretty good on the PC? I've never played it before, and five dollars was too good a deal to pass on.

I'd say so, for all the things you can mod with that game it certainly is the best version imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom