• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
FlawlessCowboy said:
So, is San Andreas pretty good on the PC? I've never played it before, and five dollars was too good a deal to pass on.
It'll be as good as GTA3, which was much improved over the console counterparts. Mouse and keyboard works much better for aiming and shooting, and all the cars are so arcadey in their driving mechanics that an analogue stick just isn't needed.

Ledsen

GAF, should I buy San Andreas? I love GTA4, but San Andreas isn't as pretty and the cities seem empty and lifeless in comparison... also the driving physics don't look as awesome at all. Is there any point in playing this game now or should I just buy Ballad of Gay Tony and wait for GTA5 instead?

Ledsen said:
GAF, should I buy San Andreas? I love GTA4, but San Andreas isn't as pretty and the cities seem empty and lifeless in comparison... also the driving physics don't look as awesome at all. Is there any point in playing this game now or should I just buy Ballad of Gay Tony and wait for GTA5 instead?
you should just buy the rockstar collection.

Ledsen said:

Do you like looking at pretty things or do you like fun?

Ledsen said:
Nah, I don't want nor have time for all those games. It's San Andreas or nothing.
you'll sleep better knowing you got such a great deal on so much awesome. sure you may not want to play some of the games now or have already but in the future you'll think to yourself "man, i wish i had bought the collection". Spending $50 now you will not only help yourself but help your gaming status.

Ledsen

Affeinvasion said:
Do you like looking at pretty things or do you like fun?

I like both, and in a game like GTA where immersion is important, the graphics and people/car density contribute greatly to the experience.

DMPrince said:
you'll sleep better knowing you got such a great deal on so much awesome. sure you may not want to play some of the games now or have already but in the future you'll think to yourself "man, i wish i had bought the collection". Spending $50 now you will not only help yourself but help your gaming status.

No, that's how I thought before... now, I think "why should I buy this, I have 80 games in my backlog already and probably won't play half of them". After the Steam holiday sale I had a revelation and this year I probably won't buy any games other than SSF4 and Mario Galaxy 2 :D

edit: okay, I probably will, but so far I haven't...

edit2: San Andreas deal over. Another day, another Steam deal I didn't take advantage of :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ledsen said:
I like both, and in a game like GTA where immersion is important, the graphics and people/car density contribute greatly to the experience.
The whole immersion thing didn't start until GTAIV. GTA has traditionally been a pretty video gamey video game.

vazel

Banned
SapientWolf said:
The whole immersion thing didn't start until GTAIV. GTA has traditionally been a pretty video gamey video game.
They started going for a more cinematic noir feel to the story in Vice City. They even went all out with voice talent now that they knew GTA had become a huge franchise.

JoeBoy101

jet1911 said:
gta_sa2010-04-2821-26-13-96.jpg

Poached screenshot! And that is with just the ENB mod for GTA SA. There is a rather large catalog of mods for GTA SA, and given most current machines can easily outmuscle the vanilla engine, I highly suggest taking a look. But ENB should be mandatory. To prove my case:

Before ENB:

gta_sa2010-04-2821-25-07-42.jpg

New Hotness:

gta_sa2010-04-2821-25-08-84.jpg

Wow, I can actually see the characters!

That's with no mods other than ENB. The color saturation fixes alone in it works like magic. Then it throws on reflections, bumpmapping, etc.

EDIT: And Steam, I'm still pissed about missing out on Bully you bastards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
vazel said:
They started going for a more cinematic noir feel to the story in Vice City. They even went all out with voice talent now that they knew GTA had become a huge franchise.
Vice City still had flamethrower rampage missions though. You don't see those in cinema very much these days, unfortunately. Same thing goes for day-glow colored floating pickups.

Suairyu

Banned
Question regarding ENB series for VC and SA - would people recommend it from an artistic perspective? The ENB additions go nicely with GTA IV's naturalism approach to world reproduction, but I get the feeling from looking at VC and SA screenshots that there is a particular candy-coloured aesthetic Rockstar were shooting far that adds to the end effect, VC especially.

Given that it is my first time playing through either, what would people say is the best way to experience it?

JoeBoy101

Suairyu said:
Question regarding ENB series for VC and SA - would people recommend it from an artistic perspective? The ENB additions go nicely with GTA IV's naturalism approach to world reproduction, but I get the feeling from looking at VC and SA screenshots that there is a particular candy-coloured aesthetic Rockstar were shooting far that adds to the end effect, VC especially.

Given that it is my first time playing through either, what would people say is the best way to experience it?

There is a LOT of customization you can do with them. You can pick one up and only enable the bloom changes for example. I wasn't all that interested in it past GTA IV when I first looked at it, but look at those two cutscenes I posted. There's all this texture work getting obliterated by these color filters Rockstar threw in to make it look all brown and yellow.

EDIT: BTW, anyone know how long these sales are going to keep popping up for Rockstar's stuff?

DisenLedZep said:
:lol So true...

Still good looking game and one of the best scrips I've seen from Rockstar...

Most definitely.

Man I've been playing this game since I bought it. Chapter 2 convinced me that this is one of Rockstars best games. I love the humor, and the unique approach to gameplay elements this game provides. It actually looks really good on MAX settings, runs really well other than few parts where it has some framedrops. Overall, I wish I got into this game sooner.

It's just so fucking good.!

Also, I don't know if this was mentioned, but I had a bitch of a time trying to get ENB to work for San Andreas. Any pointers/tips/suggestions those who have successfully modded the game (Steam version) would be greatly appreciated.

Railer

Costanza said:
Is there any way to get Midnight Club working on W7? I love that game....

That's what I'm wondering. There are some fixes on the steam forums for Vista, so i think (?) they would work on W7 too ?

Railer

Roofy said:
have you tried running it in compatibility mode? im just throwing out a guess :D

I haven't yet, but that's because I'm not gonna buy it until i know i can get it to run. Even though it's cheap as hell i still want to know that i can run it before i buy it :p

Salsa

Man im missing all of this :( is there something on sale right now ? Rockstars game arent available on my region but i guess we could gift+paypal

SalsaShark said:
Man im missing all of this :( is there something on sale right now ? Rockstars game arent available on my region but i guess we could gift+paypal
Midnight Club 2 is $2.50 for the next hour and 45 minutes.

Twig

Banned
Any reason why trying to take some Fraps video of Max Payne causes fps to drop to 5?

Not a huge deal, as I didn't even mean to hit the record button when I did. But I did! And now I'm curious.

Salsa

Desaparecido said:
Midnight Club 2 is $2.50 for the next hour and 45 minutes.

!!

if someone could get this for me, ill be very thankful :D just posted the same thing on the Steam gifting thread.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Desaparecido said:
I'm not spending $40 for the Rockstar pack, so I've been waiting for and missing these stupid short sales. PC gaming WTF.
You either already had these games for some years anyway or you're crazy. PC gaming lol

graywolf323

Desaparecido said:
I'm not spending $40 for the Rockstar pack, so I've been waiting for and missing these stupid short sales. PC gaming WTF.

if you don't have any of them already the Rockstar pack is a much better deal

legend166

Can someone explain how to get mods working for the Steam version of San Andreas? Apparently you have to get a downgraded exe or something because the mods are mean to work with v1.0 and the Steam version is classified as 3.0 or something?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna get FUEL for $3.74. It might be fun to just drive around a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom