• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

SalsaShark said:
!!

if someone could get this for me, ill be very thankful :D just posted the same thing on the Steam gifting thread. Will pay through paypal of course

Quoting myself for new page.

Zefah said:
I think I'm gonna get FUEL for $3.74. It might be fun to just drive around a bit.

How long does this deal last ? thinking of getting it tomorrow.

A bit late to make this comment, but I played the PC version of San Andreas (without mods) a year ago and while it's kind of fun, it really hasn't aged well. Horribly barren and undetailed locations, laughably low-poly characters, untextured surfaces, weird floaty physics, interface for minigames don't make a lot of sense, really inconsistent art direction, I could go on. I found the whole thing to be so uneven in execution I wondered why it was hailed as so great. Mafia, which came out the same year, was much more polished and superior graphically.

But for $5, I wouldn't exactly say it's no fun. I played all the way to the Vegas city so obviously it has some value.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Quoting myself for new page.

How long does this deal last ? thinking of getting it tomorrow.

It's part of the weekend deal. There is some Codemasters Racing pack with all of their games for like $15 total. I already have Dirt 2 and am not really interested in anything else besides FUEL and maybe GRID.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
faceless007 said:
A bit late to make this comment, but I played the PC version of San Andreas (without mods) a year ago and while it's kind of fun, it really hasn't aged well. Horribly barren and undetailed locations, laughably low-poly characters, untextured surfaces, weird floaty physics, interface for minigames don't make a lot of sense, really inconsistent art direction, I could go on. I found the whole thing to be so uneven in execution I wondered why it was hailed as so great. Mafia, which came out the same year, was much more polished and superior graphically.

But for $5, I wouldn't exactly say it's no fun. I played all the way to the Vegas city so obviously it has some value.

Mafia actually came out in 2002 on the PC. San Andreas was a 2004 release for consoles and a 2005 release for the PC. The big difference between the two is that Mafia started out as a PC exclusive and San Andreas started as a console exclusive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zombieshavebrains said:
They took it down the individual sales.

Wow, I should have bought it when it first came up. Fuck buying the whole pack. I already have Dirt 2 and don't care about some of those games.

Suairyu

Banned
Zefah said:
I think I'm gonna get FUEL for $3.74. It might be fun to just drive around a bit.
Very much worth it.

Obligatory:
Jim Rossignol's 8-hour tour of Fuel's world

I still fire this game up from time to time just drive around and see the sights. Combined with the right music (again, Rossignol had the right idea), the game is so haunting. My one complaint would be the driving mechanics, whilst perfectly fine, lack a certain physicality to them. Hard to put my finger on it. Mind you, getting to the top of a peak, switching to first person view mode and then barrelling down the mountain side is as fuck-awesome as it gets.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got Fuel! Sweet!

Err... nope. I just got an email saying "Credit Card Declined"

Edit: Nevermind, went through this time!

Zefah said:
I'm trying to buy the individual Fuel while I can, but Steam isn't letting me log in to their store on their website. It keeps telling me "Incorrect Login." even though I know I am entering my information correctly. I even successfully logged in to their support site.
Your support site account is separate.

dani_dc

Every game is still on sale individually here, plus the sale ad I got when I logged on Steam says "Weekend Sale Codemasters Racing pack 75% off entire pack, or each game", so I'm assuming the individual prices are part of the weekend deal.

So, uh, is anyone a hardcore racing fan and can elucidate on the what the differences are between all those games? I'm a casual fan of arcade racers (last one I played is Need for Speed: Most Wanted), which one might be closest to that? I like the open-world style and the multitude of race types.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
faceless007 said:
So, uh, is anyone a hardcore racing fan and can elucidate on the what the differences are between all those games? I'm a casual fan of arcade racers (last one I played is Need for Speed: Most Wanted), which one might be closest to that? I like the open-world style and the multitude of race types.
They're all arcade racers. You can somewhat adjust realism for GRiD though.
FUEL is open-world (14,000 km²), but has its faults.
None of them is really comparable to MW.

Sysgen

Don't know about DIRT 2 but DIRT has Uphill Mountain Races that are great. Played through the game on the 360 and while you can tune the handling is very arcadey and subjective but those Uphill Mountain races left a good impression.

Slavik81 said:
Is it just me, or have Steam's servers been topsy-turvy lately?
no. not just you

and what should I do. after i submit the payment it still says working but i got an email saying the transaction went through.

An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support.

EDIT: Nevermind. just checked my game library. it's in there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DMPrince said:
it won't let me add to the cart. and my password doesn't work? WTF.

Same thing happened to me. It worked after a few tries.

Salacious Crumb

DMPrince said:
no. not just you

and what should I do. after i submit the payment it still says working but i got an email saying the transaction went through.

EDIT: Nevermind. just checked my game library. it's in there.

Same thing happened to me with Grid.

jlevel13

Weird, I was planning on picking up Dirt tonight (almost bought it this morning, but had to split)... great timing on a sale for once!

Blizzard

Banned
I tried starting a game and then quitting, but I can't get the Steam update news to come up. Restarting Steam gave me a MW2 popup or something, but that was all. :lol Is there any way to actually confirm that the individual sale prices last all weekend as well? $10 for Dirt 2 is tempting, even though I didn't care for the demo. I have two questions about it:

1. Are there decent mods for it?
2. Is there scenery that isn't just a giant brown hill with dust? :p

*edit* Two more questions!
1. What does DiRT stand for? Or is it just TO BE COOL?
2. Don't you think that the Steam browser thing is silly now, where if you go to the store page, click on something, then switch to your library and back, the back arrow at the top takes you back through your library instead of through the main pages? They just need tab-independent history like a normal web browser or something. =P

*edit again* I was confusing DiRT 2 with FUEL. I wanted the one with the giant landscape driving. But maybe all of these in the pack look decent...maybe I should just get the $17.50 one instead of the $14 combination. :lol (someone just told me that DiRT 1 doesn't work on Windows 7, but I have Vista and it's not a big loss...race driver 3 also doesn't look so great)

dani_dc

I don't really have any interest on any of this games yet I'm considering buying this just to check Grid and DiRT (2) :lol

Do any of this game feature any non-steam DRM?

Blizzard

Banned
dani_dc said:
I don't really have any interest on any of this games yet I'm considering buying this just to check Grid and DiRT (2) :lol

Does any of this game feature any non-steam DRM?
DIRT 2 and FUEL have demos, I think, so you can try those first if you want.

FUEL doesn't seem to have mods as far as I can tell, presumably because people would cheat. :( FUEL also seems to be the only one with non-Steam DRM -- SecuROM. Oh well, I just went with DiRT 2 only and saved myself a big $7. :lol

And FireFox just got closed by Vista due to some data execution prevention alert. Scary. May have been the Steam store.

IceMarker

Well, I bought Guild Wars Trilogy, but now I'm outta money to freely spend on games for the next week or so, I saw the new racing game deals, anyone wanna gift me Fuel? I gave two SCII Beta keys to GAF members! :lol :D

chixdiggit

hamchan said:
So dual shock 3 + motionjoy works with these games? Or do I have to go and buy a wired 360 controller?

You should get one anyway. They are dirt cheap and convenient (if you don't want to spring for the wireless adapter).

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
speculawyer said:
I'm not even a big fan of racing games . . . but $17.50 for all those. But . . .

Dirt 2 90%
Dirt 84%
Fuel ~70%
Grid 88.5%
Toca Race Driver 3 85%

Why not?
Toca and Grid are redundant, with Grid being a generation ahead graphically. Dirt and Dirt 2 are redundant. Dirt 2 is better. Fuel isn't that good.

So you could save money and pick up Dirt 2 and Grid by themselves?

edit: nm, you'd be saving like, $1. :lol

Yeah. Go for it.

BobsRevenge said:
So you could save money and pick up Dirt 2 and Grid by themselves?
Not much...

Desaparecido said:
Maybe if I can find a cheap wheel. Can anyone recommend a decent controller with a good d-pad that will also work with a PS3 or 360?
Nevermind that, I just got my PS3 controller working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom