• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Mrbob said:
Yeah the Nvidia 8800 is the new ATI 9800PRO.

I have one...I've helped build two pcs with the card in them. It is a great powerhouse card at a low price.

Oh and the GOTY editions contain the expansions.

8800 series is incredible. Not only did all the early adopters pick one up because it dominated anything out, but the GT was one of the best videocard bargains ever.

And I'll probably end up getting Morrowind GOTY because of the expansions. I'll wait until it's $10 though.

Mrbob

Yeah for $9.99 I'll pick up Morrowind GOTY edition as well.

I'm surprised Bethesda will put this out first before Oblivion...but maybe not. Morrowind is referred to as the best Elder Scrolls game.

MNC

Blizzard said:
Oh, and one final note to convince everyone to buy Stubbs: It's the only game I can think of that has a third-person urination gameplay sequence.

And not to spoil the scene/atmosphere, but it is an EPIC third-person urination gameplay sequence. :lol

Conker's Bad Fur Day says hi! :D

legend166

If Morrowind is cheap enough, I'll probably buy it. I always wanted to play it when it came out, but I didn't have a good enough PC.

I heard it from my buddy who has access to the Steam blob. It basically is a list of games coming out. It listed Spore and EA apps a couple of months before the official announcement. It also listed the Sony and Square announcements as well. For instance, right now Burnout Paradise is listed in the blob but without any date. However, once each game is given a price point means that it should be arriving shortly. Neither Burnout or Morrowind has been given a price point.

Mrbob

I'm sure the price for the bundle will drop to $49.99 when the maximum package is out. EA was quick to get Red Alert 3 to $29.99 on steam as soon as the retail version dropped in price.

However, their holiday sales sucked for the most part. Only 10 percent off. I'm not holding my breath for any EA weekend deals anytime soon.

Volcynika

dLMN8R said:
Unreal Tournament 3 is only $12 this weekend (40% off)

Hopefully they won't skimp on the weekend deal and this is only a deal to promote the new patch. I don't think they'll deny us our usual 50% -75% off game/package, though!

Mrbob

Don't think it is....goes through march 15.

Weekend deals normally go up on Friday midday.

There are a couple other games on sale on steam right now too.

Volcynika

Mrbob said:
Don't think it is....goes through march 15.

Yeah, this. Every time Valve does something big, like release a new game, sometimes they knock the price down a bit right before a weekend, and we still get a deal. This will probably be the same.

Volcynika

The Maw now available for pre-purchase, 10% off until released. ($8.99)

But if you miss this, it goes up a dollar!

Comes out March 9th.

Volcynika said:
The Maw now available for pre-purchase, 10% off until released. ($8.99)

But if you miss this, it goes up a dollar!

Comes out March 9th.

It was already on pre-purchase for more than a week.

But no thanks, I already purchased the XBLA version.

Volcynika

Chiaroscuro said:
It was already on pre-purchase for more than a week.

But no thanks, I already purchased the XBLA version.

That's the first thing I saw when I opened Steam, they're just slow for me! (for reference, I saw the UT3 thing before that :lol)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
epmode said:
Hay, Ceville seems pretty decent. Might be too pricey at $40 (hard to tell from the demo) but the production values are good.

0000007492.1024x768.jpg

Can't hurt to try the demo, GAF!

Ceville is a lot of fun so far, pretty funny too - some of the pop culture references are horribly cringe-worthy though.

I got it free from Valve, so I dunno about price, but it seems kind of long too. Just opened a massive world map, so thats cool.

But generally seems like a well constructed point and click, making your objectives abundantly clear and I've only rushed to a walkthrough a few times so far (two of which could be avoided if I knew sooner than space bar shows all the interactive elements on screen).

If you like PnCs, I reccomend you check it out, its one of the better ones recently. Vampyre story is still sitting on my shelf, and So Blonde was horrible, Ceville is pretty damn great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought Unreal Tournament 3 back when it was $9.99 during the end of the year sale.

It is now listed as Unreal Tournament 3 Black in the Steam store. The "titan pack" patch was free, right? Is my Unreal Tournament 3 something different than this Unreal Tournament 3 Black thing, or are they just attempting a psuedo "relaunch"?

Volcynika

Zefah said:
I bought Unreal Tournament 3 back when it was $9.99 during the end of the year sale.

It is now listed as Unreal Tournament 3 Black in the Steam store. The "titan pack" patch was free, right? Is my Unreal Tournament 3 something different than this Unreal Tournament 3 Black thing, or are they just attempting a psuedo "relaunch"?

It's a psuedo relaunch, just get the titan pack (free) and you'll have what all's with UT 3 Black.

Zzoram

I think they are removing the normal UT3 from sale and replacing it with UT3 Black, which comes with the patch already applied.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Zefah said:

If you have UT3 set to stay updated it should be all accounts already be updated. Look at the menu; if it has a weird velcro/backpack strap look to it and the options stay the same size instead of the blood stroke with Mac-style variable button sizes, you have the patch.

Another way to check - see if you have "Greed" or "Betrayal" as gameplay modes under instant action, or whether "Koos Barge" is a level you can choose for a quick deathmatch round.

Zzoram

So is this UT3 thing the weekend deal? Not that I need another game this weekend, but I like to browse the sales on STEAM and they occasionaly cause me to splurge.

Volcynika

Zzoram said:
So is this UT3 thing the weekend deal? Not that I need another game this weekend, but I like to browse the sales on STEAM and they occasionaly cause me to splurge.

Won't know for an hour or so. Since UT3's price is like that till March 15th, I'd bet not. They've had TF2 free weekends and still give separate weekend deals.

kuYuri

Zzoram said:
No news on that front. It would be nice, but Capcom and Valve aren't on good terms these days.

Maybe not as bad as we think. Age of Booty was just recently announced that it will be released on Steam.

Steamy Steam Client Update for Steam: March 6, 2009
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Steam Client

Fixed possible case where Steam would get stuck with "Downloading starting..." when trying to download

Added NTFS check when trying to install Empire: Total War

Added new dialog to inform the user they failed to register a CD key because they do not own a game which is required to register the key (Empire: Total War Special Forces)

Added more download regions for Australia

Fixed several update news links for games going to the wrong page

Added more information to the game launch display when first-time install steps are being ran

Fixed HL2.exe hanging on shutdown

Increased max width of links on game properties dialog (general tab) to match the now wider properties panel.

Fixed the 'launching game' dialog always waiting for user input if there was update news available

Updated localization files for dialog variable changes (fixes %s1 appearing in some languages)

New notification shown when an application is downloaded or updated

Added teamfortress.com, tf2.com, etc. to list of approved chat urls

Fixed case where retail install would be unnecessarily slow

Fixed third-party installers not running if an installer before it failed

Several Steamworks updates

There was also a TF2 fix. Now I can get on top of my sentry again. I think.

Newish PC gamer here

What is Secure Rom and why should I care? I'm reading reviews of Mirrors Edge and they all say pretty much the same thing - Secure Rom sucks

Does the Steam version have Secure Rom? My internet is on the slower end of things so I'd rather just buy a disk, but if the DRM is really as bad as some reviewers are saying I guess I'll just download for a few nights if its better

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
TheExodu5 said:

Fixed possible case where Steam would get stuck with "Downloading starting..." when trying to download

Megaton.

And it still does it :lol

And Download Stopping .... Also exists :D

Blizzard

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:
Newish PC gamer here

What is Secure Rom and why should I care? I'm reading reviews of Mirrors Edge and they all say pretty much the same thing - Secure Rom sucks

Does the Steam version have Secure Rom? My internet is on the slower end of things so I'd rather just buy a disk, but if the DRM is really as bad as some reviewers are saying I guess I'll just download for a few nights if its better

That D39whatever guy will come in here shortly and tell you that all DRM is great and it is a very vocal minority who have problems. :lol

SecuROM is a DRM system with various levels...I think the lowest ones just let you play a game without having the disk in the drive. I think the problems people had is that the higher level ones run in the background, check for running programs, act on a driver level to try to prevent you from doing some things...i.e. they might try to stop you from burning a copy of a game to a disk, but in the process there were some people who apparently found their DVD drives stopped burning at all due to whatever software stuff was installed.

So, I don't know all the details, and you -probably- wouldn't have problems. If you don't mind Steam (which also isn't perfect), then I'm almost certain that the Steam version of Mirror's Edge doesn't have SecuROM. I've done tons of modding and messing with it, including modifying the actual .exe file to let me edit .ini files, and stuff still works. I think I also heard the retail version of Mirror's Edge may have an encrypted .exe or something, so who knows if that's SecuROM or something else.

I hope that helped...other people please correct any inaccuracies. :)

aeolist

Banned
"Fixed HL2.exe hanging on shutdown"

Oh wow that's been happening to me for at least a year. It'll be weird to not see it anymore.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Quick question.

Will uninstalling Steam on 1 HDD and putting it on another keep my game settings and stuff? Got no space left on my main drive and I kind of want World Of Goo and maybe UTIII, I'm sick of uninstalling games to play others. :lol Need to move it to my 200+ gig HDD.

senahorse

NameGenerated said:
Quick question.

Will uninstalling Steam on 1 HDD and putting it on another keep my game settings and stuff? Got no space left on my main drive and I kind of want World Of Goo and maybe UTIII, I'm sick of uninstalling games to play others. :lol Need to move it to my 200+ gig HDD.

I had to do this tonight. Before you uninstall Steam move the Steamapps folder to somewhere else and then when you install Steam again just move the Steamapps folder back. Mine was 120GB :lol

ShutEye

So I've been attempting to buy World of Goo but when I go to the shopping cart Steam is asking for my username and password after I've already inputted it. I try to input it again but the screen goes nowhere.

I've emailed Valve but do you guys have any ideas?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
x3n05 said:
I had to do this tonight. Before you uninstall Steam move the Steamapps folder to somewhere else and then when you install Steam again just move the Steamapps folder back. Mine was 120GB :lol
Cool, thanks.

adg1034

ShutEye said:
Thanks, I didn't know you could do that. I'll still contact Valve as I'd rather just launch Steam.

Do that, but since Valve support is closed on the weekends, buy it online this weekend before the price goes back up.

Mrbob

Anyone else playing through Lost Planet on PC right now?

I finished a couple more missions today. It is a fun game when you look at it from an arcade shooter perspective. However shooting the machine gun sounds like a pop cap gun. :lol

The graphics are really pretty, smoke effects are awesome, but this is part of the problem with the title. Too many enemies have access to missle launchers, and when they fire them constantly its hard as hell to see what is going on. Case in point I just did a mission where I was climbing to a mountain top. I went into this pirate base leading to the mountain top, and you have to run through this tiny corridor that leads to a wide open area with a ton of space pirates in it at a big choke point. The main issue is right around the left hand side there is a space pirate in a mech with a missile launcher attached, and the dude keeps on spamming me with missiles as I hide around the corner. The smoke effect from the missile is so profound I can't even see a damn thing. To make matters worse, there is a pirate on the top level of this open area with a missile launcher as well, so if you are lucky enough to get the guy in the mech right away he fires down on you. I had to abuse the AI to get through this. I used a missile launcher of my own to kill the guy up top, and it didn't alert the AI. I went around the corner and shot the guy in the mech with a missile knocking him out (but not killing him!). Too much trial and error for my taste.

Also, the enemy bosses you fight reign fire down on you too that creates a ton of smoke. It makes it tough to see them and fire back. But somehow they can see you through the smoke and keep on hitting you while you can't see a thing.

Like I said, fun game if looked at as a shooter, but I'm glad I only paid 5 dollars for this. Oh and the story from the campaign in Unreal Tournament 3 makes more sense than this game! :lol

x3n05 said:

You don't even need to uninstall and reinstall. Just copy your Steam.exe and Steam\Steamapps folder, and when you run Steam.exe in the new location it will automatically download and install the rest of the files.

Blizzard

Banned
Awesome. They made the comment about HL2.exe hanging on exit being fixed, but it still crashes when you exit, like it has for the last year or two.

Also, my mic has recently messed up on Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2. It seems to be noisy, turning mic boost off never works (after I save TF2 settings, and go back to audio options, it's turned back on)...and the HD audio manager or whatever (I'm using onboard RealTek sound) doesn't seem to affect anything when I change mic settings either. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mrbob

Drakensang is now on steam if you want to get your german rpg on.

Also, Age of Booty just went up as well. Perhaps we will see the return of some more capcom games on steam?

Mrbob

Yeah I saw it just went up. It is only 5 dollars, take a shot at it!

Oh wait, I just read the description:

The Graveyard is a very short computer game. You play an old lady who visits a graveyard. You walk around, sit on a bench and listen to a song. It's more like an explorable painting than an actual game. An experiment with poetry and storytelling but without words.

Buying the full version of The Graveyard adds only one feature, the possibility of death. The full version of the game is exactly the same as the trial, except, every time you play she may die.

The hell? :lol

Pay 5 bucks to see Grandma perish! Odd premise overall, for the trial and full game. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom