• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I know nothing about Steam or PC gaming, but I have a question.

I'll be going on a long trip soon and I'll be bringing a laptop with me for on the go gaming. It'll be offline most the time since I'll be in a car. Can I hook this laptop up the internets and activate my Steam account and install them on it then play them offline on it while I'm on the trip? Will that just un-activate the games on my PC?
Also, one more stupid question. Can I use a wired 360 pad for older games like Deus Ex and Morrowind or do I need to hack it or whatever to do that.

I'm hoping that I can play DX and Morrowind on the long ass car ride but it'll be a pain in the ass with a shitty track pad.

Psy-Phi

Snuggler said:

I'll be going on a long trip soon and I'll be bringing a laptop with me for on the go gaming. It'll be offline most the time since I'll be in a car. Can I hook this laptop up the internets and activate my Steam account and install them on it then play them offline on it while I'm on the trip? Will that just un-activate the games on my PC?
Also, one more stupid question. Can I use a wired 360 pad for older games like Deus Ex and Morrowind or do I need to hack it or whatever to do that.

I'm hoping that I can play DX and Morrowind on the long ass car ride but it'll be a pain in the ass with a shitty track pad.
You are supposed to be able to go into offline mode and still be able to play games. I've never been offline for more than a few hours so I'm not sure about the longevity of it. But the way it's supposed to work, you shouldn't have a problem. Just stay in Offline Mode, because if you "Go Online" in the menu and you don't actually have internet access you'll have to get internets to be able to set steam into offline mode again.

Also, make sure you launch each and every game you wish to play while you are online, prior to selecting "go offline". They have to be activated individually.

BTW, the option is just in the "Steam" menu (where "File" usually is in most programs). "Go Offline".

Give it a shot before you leave. And when you do log in on your laptop and are still logged in to your desktop, you should see a message pop up on your desktop that your acct has been logged in elsewhere. The games on the desktop will be deactivated until you connect again.

Salsa

confused said:

In line with this post, i would like to request the same thing but with GTA IV, and only if it goes under $15, id really apreciate it, and of course will pay you over paypal.

Jimrpg

Hey guys - ive got a macbook with windows installed and wondering if i can run either dirt or dirt 2? its the 13" one - with 4 gb ram... i bought it last year... i cant remember the CPU... will it run either ok?

and which one should i get - ill only get one - what are the big changes in dirt 2? I really like the old school rally games like Rally Championship where you travel from country to country and do like 6 stages in each and spend time to reduce the damage on ur car. i get the feeling dirt and dirt 2 has been americanised a bit and just a variety of rally cars and rally stages.

EDIT: think ill just go with the first DIRT, cant go wrong with $2.50 purchase

Red Scarlet

They couldn't up the max # of friends? I really want to play with the mac folks but my list is full again. C'mon Valve, give us more space for friends list.

bathala

Banned
Snuggler said:

u just need to back up your games. right click your installed games pick back up files

RJT

Psy-Phi said:
You are supposed to be able to go into offline mode and still be able to play games. I've never been offline for more than a few hours so I'm not sure about the longevity of it. But the way it's supposed to work, you shouldn't have a problem. Just stay in Offline Mode, because if you "Go Online" in the menu and you don't actually have internet access you'll have to get internets to be able to set steam into offline mode again.

Also, make sure you launch each and every game you wish to play while you are online, prior to selecting "go offline". They have to be activated individually.

BTW, the option is just in the "Steam" menu (where "File" usually is in most programs). "Go Offline".

Give it a shot before you leave. And when you do log in on your laptop and are still logged in to your desktop, you should see a message pop up on your desktop that your acct has been logged in elsewhere. The games on the desktop will be deactivated until you connect again.
There's no longevity problems. The only issue is if you connect to the internet for 5 minutes and it starts downloading a 1GB patch. My advice would be: if you go online, turn off Steam.

Instro

Red Scarlet said:
They couldn't up the max # of friends? I really want to play with the mac folks but my list is full again. C'mon Valve, give us more space for friends list.

I didnt know there was a max

:(

Dirt 2 doesn't have enough rally races. It's pretty fun but I feel like there's something missing when I can't hear my co-driver telling me right 2 over crest into dip yadda yadda.

Well worth 10 bucks, exchange rate is still going strong. Forgot to mention it's incredibly pretty.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
NOTE: We have temporarily run out of game keys for FUEL and more have been requested. You can still purchase the game and when we have more keys, FUEL will unlock for you automatically. Our apologies!

:lol

toasty_T said:
Dirt 2 doesn't have enough rally races. It's pretty fun but I feel like there's something missing when I can't hear my co-driver telling me right 2 over crest into dip yadda yadda.

Well worth 10 bucks, exchange rate is still going strong. Forgot to mention it's incredibly pretty.
That's why I did not buy it on release. 12€ is a fair price :)

Jtones

Banned
I need your help on what I should buy:

Borderlands
Left 4 Dead 2
Episodes from liberty city
Something else

I can't leave my house so I need a game!

epmode

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is toca race driver or fuel worth it? Those are the only two I'm not sure about.
I bought TOCA from GOG a while back. It seemed pretty awesome if you have the time. Tons of content.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
epmode said:
I bought TOCA from GOG a while back. It seemed pretty awesome if you have the time. Tons of content.
I got it off GOG too. The level of content is absurd.

It's kind of weird that they pulled it from GOG to stick it on steam though. Not a fan of that.

Hinomura

I've major graphical issues with Dirt 2 :(
Shadows are all wrong: (the dark bar on the left is the car shadow...

2ah8und.jpg

My conf: Win7/64 | Gtx 275 | i7 860 | 8GB (drivers updated etc)

Any hint to fix this?
Thanks.

epmode

BobsRevenge said:
I got it off GOG too. The level of content is absurd.

It's kind of weird that they pulled it from GOG to stick it on steam though. Not a fan of that.
Delisting happens on most DD services. It sucks but I can understand it.

Contrary to what was said at the time, you can still redownload TOCA 3 and Colin McRae 2005 from GOG if you purchased it before it was removed. They must have worked out a deal with Codemasters.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Red Scarlet said:

250 max friends seem like a reasonable number to me, i mean do you really play with all 250 friends regularly? Really?

graywolf323

Red Scarlet said:

wow didn't know there was a max

it does seem silly to have one, whats the point?

oh man. whose bright idea was to include a new login credential for guild wars? I haven't logged in awhile and they ask me what my character name is? fuck that. had to email them to find it out.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
ElJuice said:
I'm finally switching over to Windows 7, and I have a quick question for you guys. Can I just copy/paste my steamapps folder from my XP install over to my new Windows 7 install? I can't think of any problems that should arise from this, but I wanted to see if anyone here had successfully done so.

Thanks!

Done this a couple of times with no problems. Some games may be listed as not 100% ready but that'll go away after a restart or if you resume the 'download'. Make sure you check for save games in places other than the Steam folder, e.g. My Documents and the AppData\Local folder.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is toca race driver or fuel worth it? Those are the only two I'm not sure about.

I wouldn't get FUEL for the main content, but it's great to dick around with the debug tools, with all the vehicles and map unlocked.

AColdDay

Hinomura said:
I've major graphical issues with Dirt 2 :(
Shadows are all wrong: (the dark bar on the left is the car shadow...

2ah8und.jpg

My conf: Win7/64 | Gtx 275 | i7 860 | 8GB (drivers updated etc)

Any hint to fix this?
Thanks.

Forget about the shadows, the font graphics must be corrupted, because that doesn't even look like english anymore!

just kidding, of course. Wish I could help

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DMPrince said:
oh man. whose bright idea was to include a new login credential for guild wars? I haven't logged in awhile and they ask me what my character name is? fuck that. had to email them to find it out.
:lol I ran into the exact same issue a couple months ago when one of my buddies harassed me into reinstalling it. Fortunately, support got back to me within 30 minutes. And then we played for about 30 minutes before getting bored.

Just btw. when did Steam start to monitor the play time of all the games, and is this the overall play time (since they started monitoring it) or is it like the play time of the last month/3 months/year or sth. else?

Javaman

Frankfurter said:
Just btw. when did Steam start to monitor the play time of all the games, and is this the overall play time (since they started monitoring it) or is it like the play time of the last month/3 months/year or sth. else?

March of 09 I believe.
Thanks TF2 medal!

It tracks total and recent time.

Blizzard

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
That's what a vag will do for ya.
9ji3b7.jpg

Or, they could just be someone that's typically not a TOTAL jerk and regularly plays with forum people. It feels kind of rude to delete people if you still talk to them or play with them every so often. I mean, everyone presumably hates me and I still have 142 Steam "friends." That's not 250 but hey.

On the plus side, at least it's not one of those games like SSBB where it's like SURPRISE TINY FRIEND LIMIT BUT TWO HUNDRED SAVE SLOTS! :lol
I don't remember the actual number of save slots. :p

Tokubetsu

Blizzard said:
9ji3b7.jpg

Or, they could just be someone that's typically not a TOTAL jerk and regularly plays with forum people. It feels kind of rude to delete people if you still talk to them or play with them every so often. I mean, everyone presumably hates me and I still have 142 Steam "friends." That's not 250 but hey.

On the plus side, at least it's not one of those games like SSBB where it's like SURPRISE TINY FRIEND LIMIT BUT TWO HUNDRED SAVE SLOTS! :lol
I don't remember the actual number of save slots. :p

I have this problem on XBL. I'm always at 95 - 100 friends. I try to clean up the list every few weeks.

Red Scarlet said:

It's a legacy issue, the only way they can increase it is if they take the Counterstrike matchmaking servers offline.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I mean, everyone definitely hates me and I still have 142 Steam "friends." That's not 250 but hey.
fix't
Frankfurter said:
As Java said, March '09. It always tracked playtime in the past two weeks, but only in March did it start tracking total playtime.

And, yeah, that's why (if you ask me, anyway) the TF2 medals were bugged out. :3

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TouchMyBox said:
It's a legacy issue, the only way they can increase it is if they take the Counterstrike matchmaking servers offline.
Considering CS is one of the top three played games on Steam, the friends list will be capped at 250 for a lonnnnnnnnnng time.

Twig

Banned
Archie said:
Considering CS is one of the top three games on Steam, the friends list will be capped at 250 for a lonnnnnnnnnng time.
He was being sarcastic. There was no friends list when CS was released. There's not even any matchmaking!

Normally I wouldn't give away someone's joke so soon, but I'm just shocked two people fell for it already!

toasty_T said:
Stupid Dirt 2 won't recognize my controller.
There's any number of small programs out there to emulate 360 controllers (XInput).

http://virusdev.ovh.org/files/ - Go to "xinputemu", then "x360ce vibmod 3.1.4.1.zip".

It'll tell you in the readme, but all you have to do is extract two files to the game's directory (three if you want the test), one of them being an .ini file that you need to edit to match up some of the buttons (which is easy). And for any other game, just copy and paste those three files.

DMPrince said:
A lot of people were getting their accounts hacked so they did it to bump up the security. Kinda sucks but it beats having all your gear stolen.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
:lol I ran into the exact same issue a couple months ago when one of my buddies harassed me into reinstalling it. Fortunately, support got back to me within 30 minutes. And then we played for about 30 minutes before getting bored.

Hey man, not my fault you didn't have Factions, the one with an awesome campaign! Vanilla one is just meh :(

graywolf323

Max Payne 2 is on sale again until 5pm and GTAIV until 9pm EDT

so everything has been on sale twice now except for Episodes from Liberty City from what I can tell

There is an 8 hour deal for Grand Theft Auto 4. Price is $7.49

Edit: Beaten.

They should have a 2K week long sale next week as a follow up to this. Would love to get NBA2k10 for 75% lol

Just noticed the codemasters racing games on sale, damn that is a super price. Shame I own most of them on dvd already. Buy Dirt2 ! amazing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom