• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snuggler said:
So I know nothing about Steam or PC gaming, but I have a question.

I'll be going on a long trip soon and I'll be bringing a laptop with me for on the go gaming. It'll be offline most the time since I'll be in a car. Can I hook this laptop up the internets and activate my Steam account and install them on it then play them offline on it while I'm on the trip? Will that just un-activate the games on my PC?
Also, one more stupid question. Can I use a wired 360 pad for older games like Deus Ex and Morrowind or do I need to hack it or whatever to do that.

I'm hoping that I can play DX and Morrowind on the long ass car ride but it'll be a pain in the ass with a shitty track pad.

I played some games in offline while traveling. I mostly played lightweight games like Peggle and Osmos but it worked fine. You don't get your Steam achievements it seems. I know there are some games with DRM that require internet connections but that is a very small minority.

I don't know if there are any time limits or anything.

BTW, you can also download some games from other sites such as D2D and GOG. D2D has a nice sale right now:
http://www.direct2drive.com/promos/spring-sale/
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

Jtones said:
I need your help on what I should buy:

Borderlands
Left 4 Dead 2
Episodes from liberty city
Something else

I can't leave my house so I need a game!

Those are all great games. I'd wait to see if you can pick up Episodes from Liberty City on sale (or just pick up the entire Rockstar collection for a mere $42.50). Of else go with L4D2.

Hinomura said:
I've major graphical issues with Dirt 2 :(
Shadows are all wrong: (the dark bar on the left is the car shadow...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ah8und.jpg[IMG]

My conf: Win7/64 | Gtx 275 | i7 860 | 8GB (drivers updated etc)

Any hint to fix this?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I had this problem before and it happend when I tried to force on some ambient occlusion in my gforce drivers, once disabled the problem went away.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Psy-Phi said:
You are supposed to be able to go into offline mode and still be able to play games. I've never been offline for more than a few hours so I'm not sure about the longevity of it. But the way it's supposed to work, you shouldn't have a problem. Just stay in Offline Mode, because if you "Go Online" in the menu and you don't actually have internet access you'll have to get internets to be able to set steam into offline mode again.

Also, make sure you launch each and every game you wish to play while you are online, prior to selecting "go offline". They have to be activated individually.

BTW, the option is just in the "Steam" menu (where "File" usually is in most programs). "Go Offline".

Give it a shot before you leave. And when you do log in on your laptop and are still logged in to your desktop, you should see a message pop up on your desktop that your acct has been logged in elsewhere. The games on the desktop will be deactivated until you connect again.
This is wrong afaik, if you just let it sit there while not having internet access it will eventually start in offline mode, at least it did for me when my internet was dead for a while.

Double post, but I need it, sorry :(

Guys I need help getting the GTAIV sale cause is not available in my region.
I'm willing to send the money over paypal before purchase.
Please PM me. I'll apreciate this.

PS: Steam ID: DisenLedZep

Salsa

If someone could buy me GTAIV ill be incredible thankful. Will have to wait a couple of days to paypal but im thinking this is my only chance, so any kind soul out there, would be great. And im no liar, ill pay.

edit: Nevermind, speculawyer is the greatest man on earth, i demand a new tag, Steam Jesus or something like that will do

I installed the Fuel Demo before purchasing it and then it disappeared when I bought the full game, so I went ahead and deleted the files from my steamapps folder since I couldn't find any other way to delete it, but now it's showing up when I right click on my steam icon. Is there any way to delete that or take it off that list? It's just a little annoying.

AcridMeat

Banned
So far the max I've seen on this GRID download is 140kb/s and keeping steady around 130-135.

:lol :lol :'( :'( :'(

edit: Wait, no, success! We have reached 145.9. :lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GTAIV finally purchased, after passing on half a dozen deals over the past 6 months at the same price. Maybe I'll get to it next year. :lol

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
So far the max I've seen on this GRID download is 140kb/s and keeping steady around 130-135.

Change your location in settings (You'll download from a different server.)

I already own GRID. If I get the pack, can I gift the extra copy? If not, is it better to just get some but not all of the pieces of that pack? Like do I need Dirt if I get Dirt 2?

AcridMeat said:

Try changing your download region to somewhere less populated

Steeven

Bought the Codemasters Weekend Deal Racing Pack. Great value for only 16 euro's. Already owned GRID but I don't care. I played a few hours of DiRT 2 and it's amazing (and very similar to GRID), especially the visuals. I love trailblazing and rally, but the other stuff not so much. Also played a few minutes of FUEL, wasn't too bad, great visuals too. Should get into that.

AcridMeat

Banned
Alright I'll try again, do you have any suggestions? I'm trying Phoenix right now.

I still doubt it will go any faster, I just have terrible DSL. This one is at least more steady within the 140s though. :)

Salsa

Steeven said:
Bought the Codemasters Weekend Deal Racing Pack. Great value for only 16 euro's. Already owned GRID but I don't care. I played a few hours of DiRT 2 and it's amazing (and very similar to GRID), especially the visuals. I love trailblazing and rally, but the other stuff not so much. Also played a few minutes of FUEL, wasn't too bad, great visuals too. Should get into that.

So the extra copy of Grid can be gifted ?

edit:

Marty Chinn said:
I already own GRID. If I get the pack, can I gift the extra copy?

^this

JRW

graywolf323 said:
Max Payne 2 is on sale again until 5pm and GTAIV until 9pm EDT

so everything has been on sale twice now except for Episodes from Liberty City from what I can tell

Hm wonder if Max Payne 2 runs properly in Win7.

Oreoleo

Proc said:
Is grid the game to get for someone who likes racing games but isn't looking for something too simmy?

Grid is still a little too 'simmy' for my tastes. I bought a used copy at Gamestop and took it back the next day. Better than something like Forza for sure, but still a little too easy to spin out and whatnot. FWIW I'm finding Dirt2 has a pretty nice balance between sim and arcade.

AcridMeat

Banned
Proc said:
Is grid the game to get for someone who likes racing games but isn't looking for something too simmy?

I think of it as closer to PGR. From what I remember when playing the demo long ago, it did seem touchy in corners with spinning out. But I wouldn't say that was from it being too "simmy". I was also playing on the harder difficulties.

Proc

I just bought gta4 to play around with the mods.

Excited to check it out after it finishes downloading. Hopefully it performs well on my pc.

Danneee

Proc said:

It's the perfect combination of sim and arcade in my opinion, mostly arcade and a little bit sim.

Steeven

SalsaShark said:
So the extra copy of Grid can be gifted ?

edit:

No, people who own GRID don't get another copy when they buy the pack. Kinda lame huh. Otherwise I would've gifted it away on GAF for sure.

Steeven

Proc said:

Yes, I don't know if you played DiRT 2 yet but the games are really similar. It's a semi-sim, but people who don't care about the sim part can have fun anyway.

Salsa

Steeven said:
No, people who own GRID don't get another copy when they buy the pack. Kinda lame huh. Otherwise I would've gifted it away on GAF for sure.

woah, really lame

AgentWhiskersX said:
Are you sure about that? GTA IV isn't there but Episodes from Liberty City is.

yep. Im in a "rockstar blacklisted" country and i can buy just the episodes as well. Someone can gift it to you.

NIN90

What's wrong with Rockstar and their HATRED?!?!
Funny how I can buy GTA4 and the Episodes but nothing else from Rockstar.
AgentWhiskersX said:
Are you sure about that? GTA IV isn't there but Episodes from Liberty City is.
SalsaShark said:
yep. Im in a "rockstar blacklisted" country and i can buy just the episodes as well. Someone can gift it to you.
I can help you two guys out via gifting if you want.

Temujin

Proc said:

After playing it for about an hour, and after adjusting some settings, it's still far too simmy for me. But then I only ever really play arcade racers (Sega Rally for life yo). I guess it's less simmy than something like Gran Turismo but still quite a step up from your average arcade racer.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
NIN90 said:
What's wrong with Rockstar and their HATRED?!?!
Funny how I can buy GTA4 and the Episodes but nothing else from Rockstar.

I can help you two guys out via gifting if you want.
I'd appreciate it dude. Check your PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom