• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

I gave in and bought GTAIV, so I can try something new. Never gave it a chance before.

Let's see how it runs on ATI Radeon HD 4650, quad core , 8 gig ram.

but I still have a little trouble running Saints Row 2 so lord only knows how badly this will run. :lol

lutheran

Just picked up GTA 4, damn why did I stop here. I played it a little bit on the 360 but for under 8 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

kamspy

GTA IV isn't poorly optimized. People greatly underestimate what's going on there.

I don't understand why people expect to get higher frame rates than they are. The old "my PC is infallible so this game must be crap" complex is strong here...

vocab

kamspy said:
GTA IV isn't poorly optimized. People greatly underestimate what's going on there.

I don't understand why people expect to get higher frame rates than they are. The old "my PC is infallible so this game must be crap" complex is strong here...

The game runs sloppy as fuck on low medium or high settings. What's not to get? Sorry I don't like my games at 20-30 fps.

Any ideas how well GTAIV will run on my system?

I've got a Phenom II X4 955 clocked at 3.6ghz, 4gb DDR2 800mhz and a radeon hd4850.

Ill be playing at 1680x1050.

vazel

Banned
GTAIV is definitely a shit port. Rockstar recognizes this too they keep trying to supply performance improvements in patches.

vocab

G-Fex said:
does it have a benchmark thing like Just Cause 2?

Yes it does, but the Benchmarking doesn't represent the full game like Just Cause 2 does. I get 60 fps in the GTAIV benchmark, while the main game, the framerate is all over the place.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
SalsaShark said:
Thanks! now it works.

sonyo4.jpg

nfl534.png
I'm getting 800kB/s :D

Salsa

Easy_D said:
I'm getting 800kB/s :D

well congrats

:(

GTA IV: i just want to be able to play it. I know its not going to look really pretty or run at constant 60fps or whatever. But if i am able to play through the game at "steady" 30 with not-GODAWFUL graphics, im ok. I know ill get pop-up textures and shit, its ok.

G-Fex

vocab said:
Yes it does, but the Benchmarking doesn't represent the full game like Just Cause 2 does. I get 60 fps in the GTAIV benchmark, while the main game, the framerate is all over the place.

Bummer. Hope I can get through it.

I'm only getting 3.2 mb/s

60% done.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think I should be fine with GTA, looked on the 'tube and it seems an overclocked E8500 can run it on max settings at nice speeds, so medium should be ok I guess.

Are there any performance tweaks for GTA IV? That don't sacrifice looks that is, like for Crysis, some actually made the game look better while still giving you better framerates.

Yeah I always miss these GTAIV sales too because I LIVE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FUCKING WORLD.

At least leave that shit up for 12 or so hours ffs. Some people are sleeping when it goes on sale :(

Mrbob

My first attempt at making a terrible video. Web quality isn't that good (couldn't upload 720P or 1080P vids), but its pretty cool you can take videos in the first place and upload them. Up to 10 minutes as well. GTA4 isn't all full of brown...there is a lot of it but it also depends on where you are and what time it is. This is a night time view near Chinatown.

https://tv.rockstargames.com/videos/view/id/2B10FBBA80049D51

Mrbob said:
My first attempt at making a terrible video. Web quality isn't that good (couldn't upload 720P or 1080P vids), but its pretty cool you can take videos in the first place and upload them. Up to 10 minutes as well. GTA4 isn't all full of brown...there is a lot of it but it also depends on where you are and what time it is. This is a night time view near Chinatown.

https://tv.rockstargames.com/videos/view/id/2B10FBBA80049D51
That's right after starting Playboy's Union mission. :D That's where I am.

Well, except I stole a helicopter near the mission site, and got off at Happiness Island, and just out of nowhere, it went up to seven (edit: woops, it's actually six) stars, so now I've been trying to get away from them for like ten minutes but I can't outrun the helicopters or respawning army boats. :( ...I did get an achievement, though.

Trent Strong said:
The hell.....? Steam is telling me I've been playing GTA IV for 55 hours. I've probably been playing it for about 8. Weird.
But I bet you've had that delightful Rockstar Social Club running in the background for that long

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So i'm an idiot, bought Dirt 2 and am really liking it so far. I also bought Dirt 1 without reading "Notice: Does not support Windows 7". Not sure why a 3 year old game doesn't support Win 7 but i guess i just wasted my money on that cause i don't see myself going down in Windows versions and i don't see Codemasters attempting to add support in the near future.

zombieshavebrains said:
So i'm an idiot, bought Dirt 2 and am really liking it so far. I also bought Dirt 1 without reading "Notice: Does not support Windows 7". Not sure why a 3 year old game doesn't support Win 7 but i guess i just wasted my money on that cause i don't see myself going down in Windows versions and i don't see Codemasters attempting to add support in the near future.

Pretty sure the game works fine, have you tried launching it?

Yeah, it was just something to do with Starforce and Codemasters removed it - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034763

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I <3 Memes said:
People here have said that if you have Dirt 2 then thats all you need.

You will be missing out on some phenomenal tracks if you skip Dirt 1. Honestly, so far I have felt kind of let down by the tracks in Dirt 2 compared to Dirt 1.

zombieshavebrains said:

Dirt 1 works perfectly fine on Windows 7. I have fully completed the championship or whatever it's called on a Win7 install.

Mrbob

Desaparecido said:

Well, except I stole a helicopter near the mission site, and got off at Happiness Island, and just out of nowhere, it went up to seven (edit: woops, it's actually six) stars, so now I've been trying to get away from them for like ten minutes but I can't outrun the helicopters or respawning army boats. :( ...I did get an achievement, though.

That sounds crazy...I'll have to go hit up the helipad!

Bebpo

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:

Dirt works in Win 7 but if you have an 8 core cpu it will crash when you try to start a race.

To get around that you have to go to:
~~/steam/steamapps/common/dirt/system

and open "hardware_settings_restrictions.xml"

Then change "workermap8core" to "workermap4core"

then it will work.

Mrbob

Is there a reason to own Dirt when you can pick up Dirt 2?

I'm still debating on whether to get Dirt 2 alone or the whole Codemasters package.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mrbob said:
Is there a reason to own Dirt when you can pick up Dirt 2?

Yes. It has some fantastic tracks. Quite a few that are better than anything in Dirt 2. And play it first so you don't miss the rewind feature.

Desaparecido said:

Sounds like you went somewhere where you were not supposed to go yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zombieshavebrains said:
Thanks for the info on Dirt 1 and Win 7. I haven't tried to launch it cause i just figured it didn't work. I'll actually play it now.

PC is the platform where you ignore warnings and blindly test things. It's what makes the platform such a delight.

Mrbob said:
That sounds crazy...I'll have to go hit up the helipad!
speculawyer said:
Sounds like you went somewhere where you were not supposed to go yet.
speculawyer is right, I looked it up. Now I realize why it was just out of nowhere. I must have gone into the last island's water territory. I could have kept going, but the boat was getting me nowhere, so I went looking for a helicopter... I was screwed as soon as I got on land. :lol

Stallion Free said:
PC is the platform where you ignore warnings and blindly test things. It's what makes the platform such a delight.
One of the many things. :D

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
PumpkinPie said:
You are right about the shitty prices though, Just Cause 2 was (I think) £39 and I bought it from Zavvi for £22 last week...same story with Bioshock 2.

Nope, Just Cause 2 was £27 at pre-order, now £30.

Bioshock 2 was £27 with a copy of Bioshock at pre-order, or you could do the 4 pack which worked out at £22 each. Plus you could gift Bioshock if you already had it. It's now £40 as 2K are insane.

Joe Molotov

G-Fex said:
I gave in and bought GTAIV, so I can try something new. Never gave it a chance before.

Let's see how it runs on ATI Radeon HD 4650, quad core , 8 gig ram.

but I still have a little trouble running Saints Row 2 so lord only knows how badly this will run. :lol

Saints Row 2 runs way crappier than GTAIV on the PC. I can't get more than 5fps out in the open in that game with normal settings, but I can at least get 20-30 in GTAIV.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
So agreed. It's especially silly that some people dislike the platform for the same reason. Granted, it's the comfy couch crowd, but still.

Haven't played GTA4 on consoles much, so I don't know how compareable it is, but it seems to run well on my system

AMD Phenom 2 x3
ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 mb
4 gb RAM
Windows 7

I picked up Vice City and San Andreas. I was annoyed that they had Vice City on sale before I found out about the classics pack, otherwise I could have picked up GTA3, VC, and SA for the price I paid for just VC and SA. Still, I have so much GTA to play now that I doubt I'll miss it and I am enjoying Bully more than any of them.

Diomedeskun said:
I picked up Vice City and San Andreas. I was annoyed that they had Vice City on sale before I found out about the classics pack, otherwise I could have picked up GTA3, VC, and SA for the price I paid for just VC and SA. Still, I have so much GTA to play now that I doubt I'll miss it and I am enjoying Bully more than any of them.
Bully is a hoot. You gotta lock that Vsync or the tearing is terrible. The load times are awesome compared to the 360 version. And you really need a 360 controller to play it . . . the keyboard commands suck.

I need a better system though, I'm playing on a laptop.

Joe Molotov

I've been playing Bully too (for the first time), and I'm enjoying it. Just beat Chapter 1 and started messing around in the city. I beat the crap out of the Boxing Club and then took some chick to the carnival.

Yeah I want ", and occasional DRM FAIL" added to the title somehow.

I am also getting some error saying it can't connect to the key server on Fuel.

I WANNA PLAY MY GAME DAMNAMIT!

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I want ", and occasional DRM FAIL" added to the title somehow.

I am also getting some error saying it can't connect to the key server on Fuel.

I WANNA PLAY MY GAME DAMNAMIT!
They're out of keys. You'll get one as soon as they get some more, which should be soon.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, the Steam store said on the FUEL page that there were no keys remaining (which happens sometimes when they have really good sales), but that you could still purchase it and play it when they get more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom