• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proc

Mrbob said:
Drakensang is now on steam if you want to get your german rpg on.

Also, Age of Booty just went up as well.
Perhaps we will see the return of some more capcom games on steam?

I said holy shit!

Mrbob

UT3 sale extended to March 22.

Another free weekend coming up this upcoming weekend, and this time you can preload it.

Sales must be going well. It has moved up to the top spot and shifting between one and two.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Hopefully these achievements get people playing a larger variety of maps. I love Danzig with all my heart, but come on.

Doytch

Strider2K99 said:
What is Red Orchestra? WWII FPS? What's the consensus on it?

Yes, a WWII FPS, but far on the side of realism. I played it once during a free weekend, wasn't really my cup of tea. A lot of running, a lot of dying, at least for me. Could have something to do with me not knowing crap about the map or any strats.

Strider2K99 said:
What is Red Orchestra? WWII FPS? What's the consensus on it?

The structure is similar to Day of Defeat or Enemy Territory, but it has a much more realistic bent. Think no reticules, lots of running from place to place if you can't hitch a ride, lots of dying, that sort of thing. It's really rewarding if you can get the hang of it, but yea, there's a big learning curve. Certainly worth $5, though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Steam offers gamers in-game downloadable content
March 16, 2009, 5:38 pm - Valve - Press Release
March 16, 2009 — Valve, creators of best-selling entertainment products and advanced technologies, today announced the arrival of in-game downloadable content to Steam, their massively popular PC gaming platform. In-game DLC allows developers and publishers to use their own games as a platform for selling additional content to gamers.

The first game to take advantage of this new in-game DLC capability is The Maw, by Twisted Pixel Games. Their first DLC releases are levels entitled The Maw: Brute Force and The Maw: River Redirect. Each DLC level expands The Maw storyline by fitting in-between the original levels as "deleted scenes."

Twisted Pixel CEO, Michael Wilford, says "We're happy that we can now offer Steam customers significant expansions to the Maw story, delivering more Maw directly to gamers while they're still playing the game."

DLC can now be added to any game on Steam, regardless of whether it was originally purchased via Steam, at retail, or via other digital outlets. It is also a feature of Steamworks, the suite of free tools and services available to game developers and publishers.

For more information about The Maw or Steam, please visit www.steamgames.com.

Shard said:
Steam offers gamers in-game downloadable content

Ugh, It's $1.25 per map it looks like. I hope Valve doesn't start charging for their amazing content. PC dlc for free is the best. I realize it's for the other developers right now, I just hope Valve doesn't change their stance on the subject.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
VGChampion said:
Ugh, It's $1.25 per map it looks like. I hope Valve doesn't start charging for their amazing content. PC dlc for free is the best. I realize it's for the other developers right now, I just hope Valve doesn't change their stance on the subject.

Pretty sure The Maw DLC was Twisted Pixel's call, it is in parity to the XBLA episodes I believe.

VGChampion said:

You bring over indie XBLA/PSN games and you get XBLA/PSN practices. Just don't buy their stuff if you don't think it's worth it (even if it points out how they don't really "get" the PC market).

Mrbob

Yeah I didn't post this earlier as it was one piece of steam news i wasn't exactly excited about.

I'm not worried about Valve. They'll keep on doing what they have done best.

Akia said:
This will make Criterion, Bethesda and the Rockstars of the world very happy.

Bethesda already sells their content through the GFW Marketplace with Fallout 3. Rockstar could as well for GTA4. I don't think Criterion uses Steamworks at all in Burnout.

It'll probably be nice for Creative Assembly to sell historical battles through for Empire: Total War if they go that route.

Akia

People didn't use it because it wasn't there. Although Bethesda's locked into GFW Live, I'm sure other publishers will soon patch their PC games so they can bring their pre-made DLC content over to Steam customers.

dLMN8R

There is nothing inherently bad about "DLC" - Entrenchment for Sins is basically a $10 DLC pack. It's a matter of simply not buying the crap that isn't worth it.

The few hundred people on Steam who own The Maw probably don't much care to pay $1.25 per level.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
LovingSteam said:
so will the mirrors edge map pack workl

Just had to say this was a total mindfuck to me. You actually put WORKL but totally looks like World. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

Steam is awesome carry on. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:

I've been too cheap/lazy to buy the pack and actually test. I know it doesn't work by default, but I haven't researched to see if I can mod stuff to make it work, or if it's just an installer problem that fails completely if you have a Steam installation instead of retail.

I still want to do custom maps, and I'm still waiting on more word from the dev team, and I still haven't taken the time to work more towards a UnrealScript decompiler so I can possibly modify the menus and stuff. :(

Javaman

What a crock of shit. I was about to buy "The Maw" yesterday and saw the DLC listed. There's no way I'm going to support that garbage.

epmode

LovingSteam said:
Oh god I hope so. I'm generally against paying for maps (and most DLC, for that matter) but I don't mind so much if it's a single-player game. And oh god it looks so good.
Blizzard said:
I've been too cheap/lazy to buy the pack and actually test. I know it doesn't work by default, but I haven't researched to see if I can mod stuff to make it work, or if it's just an installer problem that fails completely if you have a Steam installation instead of retail.
From my very limited knowledge on the subject, I think the Mirror's Edge DLC doesn't work because it somehow interfaces with the DRM that's in the retail release, but not the Steam version.

Twig

Banned
Is the game actually good?

I ask seriously, knowing absolutely nothing about it! You guys seem pretty positive.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
TheOneGuy said:
Is the game actually good?

I ask seriously, knowing absolutely nothing about it! You guys seem pretty positive.

Honestly, I can't say yet one way or the other, kinda slogging through Psychonauts at the moment.

Pachael

VGChampion said:

I think it will be a matter of time, and it will only be compounded by the fact that the client is the one with the largest and most vocal userbase. That said, I'd pay if the DLC is absolutely essentially fantastic.

It's almost funny how Valve has just gravitated towards the XBLA/PSN model on the PC while Microsoft thinks similar and does a terrible hash of it anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
epmode said:
From my very limited knowledge on the subject, I think the Mirror's Edge DLC doesn't work because it somehow interfaces with the DRM that's in the retail release, but not the Steam version.

That makes sense, sadly. Otherwise it would be very easy to just copy the map files or something and play them anywhere. Oh well.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Some stuff just showed up on my account

"Caster" is a piece of shit. XNA quality.
"Musaic Box" is taking a while to dowload, but will give opinions later

Also got HAWX and Far Cry 2 DLC. Cool.

Nikorasu

I really want to try the Path, it looks quite interesting. These guys don't have much of a pedigree (the graveyard?) but I'm an open-minded sort. :)

JSnake

Chiaroscuro said:
There are other games coming today. It shows to me "Larva Mortus" e "Retro/Grade" besides the ones already mentioned.

Larva Mortus is really fun. It's basically Smash TV but with leveling up and a horror theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom