• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik81

Stallion Free said:
The sad thing is that this isn't the first time this has happened.
It really is. Valve, the publishers and the consumers are all getting fucked. Valve wants to sell the product to make money. They can't. The publisher wants to sell a product to make money. They can't. The consumer wants to buy a product to play the game. They can't.

Entirely because of poorly written legal agreements.

Blizzard

Banned
Slavik81 said:
It really is. Valve, the publishers and the consumers are all getting fucked. Valve wants to sell the product to make money. They can't. The publisher wants to sell a product to make money. They can't. The consumer wants to buy a product to play the game. They can't.

Entirely because of poorly written legal agreements.
Wait, a legal agreement is preventing them from sending Valve more keys? o_O

And they might refund you $4 for waiting 5 days to play the game, but I mean...you're still getting it, it's just kinda like really slow shipping.

Slavik81

Blizzard said:
Wait, a legal agreement is preventing them from sending Valve more keys? o_O
It could be the result of royalty, musical, or middle-ware licencing agreements, or a limitation on their regional publishing deal, or a million other things.

Hell, even if they were perfectly capable of sending Valve more keys, but had a bureaucratic way of approving it, their agreement with Valve would be at fault. They should have had a way that was more flexible.

Twig

Banned
I think in Prey's case it's just because they can't make any more keys for some reason, isn't it? I thought I remembered reading that they were physically incapable of producing more keys. (As outrageous as that sounds... I could be making this all up, though!)

Outrun I have no idea.

And this Fuel is just a matter of bad timing, lewl.

Blizzard

Banned
Slavik81 said:
It could be the result of royalty, musical, or middle-ware licencing agreements, or a limitation on their regional publishing deal, or a million other things.

Hell, even if they were perfectly capable of sending Valve more keys, but had a bureaucratic way of approving it, their agreement with Valve would be at fault. They should have had a way that was more flexible.
Yeah, pretty sure it was just the weekend, but I'll guess we'll see how this week goes.

Slavik81

Twig said:
I think in Prey's case it's just because they can't make any more keys for some reason, isn't it? I thought I remembered reading that they were physically incapable of producing more keys. (As outrageous as that sounds... I could be making this all up, though!)
Really? A technical reason? I find it hard to believe that it was gross technical incompetence rather than a run-of-the-mill breakdown in multi-company dealings.

But you never know...

Twig

Banned
That is what I remember reading. And it wasn't incompetence it was... something else. I can't remember what, though.

i don't care though cause i have the game nyah nyah

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Jangaroo said:
I wonder if that explains why Outrun was taken off Steam.
Oh god what?

WTF.... Good thing I bought it when I had the chance for 2,50... I'm assuming it's like Mortal Kombat on XBLA, where they no longer sell it, but you can still download it if you bought it, right?

Twig said:
Just speculating . . . but Prey was from 3D Realms/Apogee. And as you know, Take-Two and 3DRealms/Apogee are not exactly on the best of terms right now (Duke Nukem). So maybe 3DRealms/Apogee is refusing to create any new keys for 2K Games.

Just speculating.

Anksta

1-D_FTW said:
I've been a member of the CM defense force in that thread:)
2ltq3xi.gif

drizzle said:
Oh god what?

WTF.... Good thing I bought it when I had the chance for 2,50... I'm assuming it's like Mortal Kombat on XBLA, where they no longer sell it, but you can still download it if you bought it, right?

Yes, all unlisted titles are still available for download if you bought it prior to the unlisting.

chixdiggit said:
Not too upset about the Fuel key thing. I would rather wait for it then not get it at all for the discount price.
I doubt it will take long. The Steam people probably didn't do anything until they came in on Monday. But when when Steam tried to contact Codemasters, Codemasters were already done for the day since they are in Europe. Maybe Codemasters will work on it tomorrow and the codes will be put up tomorrow pacific time?

Maybe.

zoku88

Slavik81 said:
Really? A technical reason? I find it hard to believe that it was gross technical incompetence rather than a run-of-the-mill breakdown in multi-company dealings.

But you never know...
I would actually assume that it might take a while to produce keys that work with their current key checker (some encryption thing, maybe?)

UrbanRats

Twig said:

Outrun I have no idea.

And this Fuel is just a matter of bad timing, lewl.
"Dear customer: we're out of keys, so please, find yourself a crack on the Torrentz, lol." :lol
But seriously, no more Outrun it's a shame. :(

speculawyer said:
I doubt it will take long. The Steam people probably didn't do anything until they came in on Monday. But when when Steam tried to contact Codemasters, Codemasters were already done for the day since they are in Europe. Maybe Codemasters will work on it tomorrow and the codes will be put up tomorrow pacific time?

Maybe.

There was a Bank Holiday today in the UK, so I doubt Valve could have contacted anyone at Codemasters.

Joe Molotov

BudokaiMR2 said:
Well still no Fuel key. Five days later.

:(

Honestly anyone trying to defend or soften this BS needs to go die in a fire.

If it were a thread about how I bought a game from Gamestop, got home and realized there was a disc cleaner disc in the box instead of then game and finally told on the phone that they don't actually have a copy of the game and I need to wait a week then you can bet that there would be hell raining down.

Can we put a little bit of perspective on this, FUEL was a $3.50 game. Yes, we all want the keys, and if they can't get more keys, then they need to just give everybody their money back, but let's not go ballistic over the price of a happy meal. If this happened for say Modern Warfare 2, then yeah, hell would definitely be raining down, but this isn't quite THAT big of a deal.

And FYI, when Steam released Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, there were no CD-Keys and I think it took nearly two weeks to get some, so this isn't unprecedented.

Blizzard said:
And they might refund you $4 for waiting 5 days to play the game, but I mean...you're still getting it, it's just kinda like really slow shipping.
Doesn't matter to me, personally, and if they're allowing refunds, then there isn't a problem.

Javaman

chixdiggit said:
Not too upset about the Fuel key thing. I would rather wait for it then not get it at all for the discount price.

That's how I feel. Sucks not being able to play it but there's so many games in my backlog that I hadn't even played yet so it's not like I'm missing out. All this complaining is making me want to try it more though. It's like an unintentional hype machine. :lol

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
drizzle said:
Oh god what?

Yeah, I actually made a thread not too long ago asking about this. The people who responded to the thread told me that they could still reinstall the game even though it was taken off the store. The files are still hosted on Valve's servers even though they don't have it on the store.
Javaman said:
That's how I feel. Sucks not being able to play it but there's so many games in my backlog that I hadn't even played yet so it's not like I'm missing out. All this complaining is making me want to try it more though. It's like an unintentional hype machine. :lol
We have to have a FUEL multiplayer session once the keys get sent. I've been told that it's pretty rad.

Javaman

Jangaroo said:
Yeah, I actually made a thread not too long ago asking about this. The people who responded to the thread told me that they could still reinstall the game even though it was taken off the store. The files are still hosted on Valve's servers even though they don't have it on the store.

Same thing happened to the Godfather series. I finished the first one and wanted to get the second one but both dissappeared.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Javaman said:
Same thing happened to the Godfather series. I finished the first one and wanted to get the second one but both dissappeared.
Wait, they took down both Godfather games? Oh man, I wanted to play the second one :(

Joe Molotov said:
Can we put a little bit of perspective on this, FUEL was a $3.50 game. Yes, we all want the keys, and if they can't get more keys, then they need to just give everybody their money back, but let's not go ballistic over the price of a happy meal. If this happened for say Modern Warfare 2, then yeah, hell would definitely be raining down, but this isn't quite THAT big of a deal.

And FYI, when Steam released Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, there were no CD-Keys and I think it took nearly two weeks to get some, so this isn't unprecedented.
If it can happen to FUEL, it can happen to an expensive game. It's not like there are measures in place to prevent it from happening to expensive games just because they're expensive.

Salsa

Easy_D said:
Man, GTA IV is actually playable these days :), happy with the purchase, sure it's mostly 25ish fps outside but at the very least it's a consistent framerate :lol

Yeah, im getting even less than 25fps and im playing anyway, it takes some of the temptation of doing stuff outside of the main missions, but meh, ill finish it.

Someone compiled a list of confirmed and semi-confirmed titles that will be available for OSX:

The following games have been confirmed for Mac OS X:

Counter-Strike (presumably Source)
"The Half-Life Series"
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Portal 2 (upcoming)
Team Fortress 2
Madballs in...Babo:Invasion [10]

The following games have been semi-confirmed (teased/hinted) for Mac OS X:

Killing Floor [11]
Torchlight [12]

The following games have metadata indicating a Mac OS X version [13]:

Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
Chuzzle Deluxe
BookWorm Deluxe
Peggle Nights
Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2 - The Siege of Spinner Cay
Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 3 - Lair of the Leviathan
Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 4 - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 5 - Rise of the Pirate God
Sam & Max 301: The Penal Zone
Brainpipe
Chocolatier: Decadence by Design
Cooking Dash
Diaper Dash
Diner Dash: Hometown Hero
Dream Chronicles: The Chosen Child
Emerald City Confidential
Wandering Willows
DinerTown Tycoon
DinerTown Detective Agency
Fitness Dash
Parking Dash
Mahjong Roadshow
Trijinx
Valerie Porter
Gemini Lost
Hotel Dash
Machinarium
Galcon Fusion
KrissX

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13952865&postcount=1

Torchlight is visible on the OSX beta client and has the install button in the details section.

Emonk

Banned
I've been waiting forever for the Torchlight Mac client. I'd prefer to buy it direct, but if the only way I can get it is through Steam than so be it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Emonk said:
I've been waiting forever for the Torchlight Mac client. I'd prefer to buy it direct, but if the only way I can get it is through Steam than so be it.
Steam Cloud makes it the only way to purchase. I pity those who don't have that convenience.

Psy-Phi

No Plants vs Zombies on Mac Steam? :( My friend will be disappointed. He was waiting to buy it for that (due to its ridiculously low price on Steam vs PopCap's storefront).

Also sad to see no World of Goo or Aquaria. Both games, while indie titles, do have mac versions available. I'm ready to buy them yet again (will be the third time for both as I bought them directly, then on Steam). But I would like to just get a free mac version of every game I own already -- that's asking a lot though, especially from indie devs (except maybe World of Goo since the version I bought from 2dBoy's site has all 3 platform versions).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Psy-Phi said:
No Plants vs Zombies on Mac Steam? :( My friend will be disappointed. He was waiting to buy it for that (due to its ridiculously low price on Steam vs PopCap's storefront).

Also sad to see no World of Goo or Aquaria. Both games, while indie titles, do have mac versions available. I'm ready to buy them yet again (will be the third time for both as I bought them directly, then on Steam). But I would like to just get a free mac version of every game I own already -- that's asking a lot though, especially from indie devs (except maybe World of Goo since the version I bought from 2dBoy's site has all 3 platform versions).
You can name your own price for the Humble Indie Bundle (Mac/Windows/Linux versions of Aquaria, World of Goo, & 3 other cross platform indie games) this week.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
TouchMyBox said:
Now you're giving me ideas for an atom-based retrofitting project. :lol

It must say "Would you like to play a game?" in that bitching font when you switch it on, then tell you the Steam servers are busy.

Psy-Phi said:

That isn't a complete list. It's just someone going through the registry and looking for information from there. It seems like Valve is slowly updating the registry to reflect what games will support OSX.

DisenLedZep said:
There's going to be another MW2 Free Weekend?
The game just pop up in my list and it's ready to pre-load :/

I restarted Steam and did not see Modern Warfare 2 on it for preload. Did you delete the local cache for the game from the last time?

Edit #1: Valve has added several more games that will have OSX versions in the future:

Braid
Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World
Zenerchi
Altitude

Edit #2:

Torchlight OSX:

Braid OSX:

The Indies seem to be embracing the Steam OSX store. I wonder if any of the big name publishers will be there at launch with their own OSX games (like EA or Activision).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom