• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
zombieshavebrains said:
So now all those jokes about no good games for Mac go away when Steam comes to OS X right?
They're not jokes. And it'll still be true by the numbers if all developers do is use a WINE wrapper..

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Molotov said:
I'm guessing there's no Midweek Madness today because they don't want competition for the MW2 Stimulus Pack.

Oh come on man that's just ludicrous, that seem overkill for a stupid map pack.

Darklord said:
Pretty sure that seller deals with pirated stuff. If you want to go that route you might as well just download it yourself for free(not that I'm saying you should).
well i got the code. he could have stolen a bunch of Nvidia cards to get it i guess since one of his instruction step linked to the nvidia steam instruction page.

Darklord said:
Pretty sure that seller deals with pirated stuff. If you want to go that route you might as well just download it yourself for free(not that I'm saying you should).

That's ZipZoomfly's Ebay store. I doubt that they would risk selling pirated stuff. The codes are from last year's promotion with nVidia, which still work.

DMPrince said:
well i got the code. he could have stolen a bunch of Nvidia cards to get it i guess since one of his instruction step linked to the nvidia steam instruction page.

I doubt it's stolen. They probably just took the codes out from some of their stock that they received from nVidia last year.

Railer

Since i got my Fuel key today finally I've been playing for about 2h of the game so far.
The world is insanely huge which brings some a lot of problems. Sure, you can just go through menus to do the career stuff, but to find challenges, livery's etc you gotta explore, and since the world is so huge it takes a shitton of time to get to stuff.

Other then that i have to say it's a really fun game to play. I really like the feel when driving the different kind of vehicles (using 360 pad) and the graphics looks nice. I've just unlocked one more zone so far though out of like.. 20? might even be more.

burgerdog

Railer said:
Since i got my Fuel key today finally I've been playing for about 2h of the game so far.
The world is insanely huge which brings some a lot of problems. Sure, you can just go through menus to do the career stuff, but to find challenges, livery's etc you gotta explore, and since the world is so huge it takes a shitton of time to get to stuff.

Other then that i have to say it's a really fun game to play. I really like the feel when driving the different kind of vehicles (using 360 pad) and the graphics looks nice. I've just unlocked one more zone so far though out of like.. 20? might even be more.
I played it for two hours as well and holy fuck it takes forever to get from one point to another without quick travel. Not bad for $3.

there are some stuff that you can find when you drive around in free ride. I've only found the fuel tanks. don't know if there are any other things to find.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
SalsaShark said:
Yeah, im getting even less than 25fps and im playing anyway, it takes some of the temptation of doing stuff outside of the main missions, but meh, ill finish it.
Well yeah, I've played a bit more now and it does probably tip lower than that, but mostly when you're near the train tracks, must be the incredibly (NOT) detailed shadows :lol!

Railer said:

I played it a bunch this weekend. A couple tips for finding stuff faster:
-Beating certain career races will reveal one of the doppler trucks on your map. If you chase them down and run into them, your map will be updated with a certain objective (red truck gives you challenges, blue gives liveries, green gives vista points).
-You can fast travel to helicopter pads (the H's on the map) and discovered vista points.

Usually I just go through the career races, find the doppler trucks, and then hunt down the red one as soon as possible to unlock the challenges.

Railer

rohlfinator said:
I played it a bunch this weekend. A couple tips for finding stuff faster:
-Beating certain career races will reveal one of the doppler trucks on your map. If you chase them down and run into them, your map will be updated with a certain objective (red truck gives you challenges, blue gives liveries, green gives vista points).
-You can fast travel to helicopter pads (the H's on the map) and discovered vista points.

Usually I just go through the career races, find the doppler trucks, and then hunt down the red one as soon as possible to unlock the challenges.

Ah thanks.
I did unlock the doppler trucks in the first zone and got the one that gave me all the vista points, defiantly gonna grab the other ones next.

I knew about the fast travel, it's pretty darn nice.

Any idea why Fuel appears to run in a lower resolution than the one i selected ? The menus/hud all look sharp and correct, but the actual game looks ..... low res. Whats the beef ?

Ogs said:
Any idea why Fuel appears to run in a lower resolution than the one i selected ? The menus/hud all look sharp and correct, but the actual game looks ..... low res. Whats the beef ?
do you have an Ati card? i know i'm affected. sucks too.

panda21 said:
modern warfare c-blocking our deals is starting to get real old
C'mon . . . it is just a theory. But yeah, Screw MW2 and its lack of dedicated servers and its expensive map packs.

perhaps I'll just buy one of the last few Valve games I don't have yet in protest. Valve provides free map packs and is now providing support of games on a whole new platform!

panda21

speculawyer said:
C'mon . . . it is just a theory. But yeah, Screw MW2 and its lack of dedicated servers and its expensive map packs.

perhaps I'll just buy one of the last few Valve games I don't have yet in protest. Valve provides free map packs and is now providing support of games on a whole new platform!

yeah but didnt we also get no midweek deal the week of the mw2 free weekend? if in doubt, blame activision.

panda21 said:
yeah but didnt we also get no midweek deal the week of the mw2 free weekend? if in doubt, blame activision.
KotickSad.jpg

The cheap bastards never put the old Call of Duty games on sale. :-(

benjipwns

Banned
DisenLedZep said:
There's going to be another MW2 Free Weekend?
The game just pop up in my list and it's ready to pre-load :/
Yep.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2 - Preload Now for the Upcoming Free Weekend!
Announcement - Valve
Now's the time to get your Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2 ready for the upcoming free weekend. This weekend will feature double XP as well so don't miss out. If you already have Steam installed you can click here to start the preload. If you don't have Steam, you can download it here.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, while I love steam, I feel in general that they've gotten too big and successful. They seem to have lost any incentive to keep competitive prices on new releases.

For instance, Steam is the only major gaming store that has yet to put Mass Effect 2 on sale for even a penny under $49.99. Right now it's ME1+2 for $35 on D2D (this is the 2nd time ME2 has been on sale), amazon has had repeated ME2 sales for $30-40. Best Buy/Gamestop have had ME2 sales for $10-20 off. I'm not joking when I say steam is the only store that has neglected to put it on sale. Probably because it sells well and they know people won't buy the pc version elsewhere.

I'm definitely worried that this is going to be the norm for every major release. So then it comes down to, do I want to pay $50 to have steam incorporation (auto-patching, easy download access, steam achievements sometimes, background image in games list) or $30/40 and miss all that. Steam is betting that those things are enticing enough to charge more than everyone else and....it's hard convincing yourself they aren't right :(

Bebpo said:
Eh, while I love steam, I feel in general that they've gotten too big and successful. They seem to have lost any incentive to keep competitive prices on new releases.
Well . . . buy from the competitors then. I've bought from other DD sites, install, and link to them in Steam. But yeah, that lacks the elegance of the pure steam system. I like being able to 'delete local content' but then easily re-download when I want.

FUEL is hilarious. I've been playing free roam, or whatever it's called, online and I keep hearing someone talking into a microphone but I'm not sure who he is or where he is or where the other side of the conversation is. :lol

To play online, do we have to know each others' Steam IDs or gamertags?

Desaparecido said:
FUEL is hilarious. I've been playing free roam, or whatever it's called, online and I keep hearing someone talking into a microphone but I'm not sure who he is or where he is or where the other side of the conversation is. :lol

To play online, do we have to know each others' Steam IDs or gamertags?

Make sure you check out the debug mode, it really opens up the game. The dragster especially is a blast, since natively you can't use it outside of specific regions. With the debug mode you can use any vehicle anywhere.

Loxley

Bebpo said:

For instance, Steam is the only major gaming store that has yet to put Mass Effect 2 on sale for even a penny under $49.99. Right now it's ME1+2 for $35 on D2D (this is the 2nd time ME2 has been on sale), amazon has had repeated ME2 sales for $30-40. Best Buy/Gamestop have had ME2 sales for $10-20 off. I'm not joking when I say steam is the only store that has neglected to put it on sale. Probably because it sells well and they know people won't buy the pc version elsewhere.

I'm definitely worried that this is going to be the norm for every major release. So then it comes down to, do I want to pay $50 to have steam incorporation (auto-patching, easy download access, steam achievements sometimes, background image in games list) or $30/40 and miss all that. Steam is betting that those things are enticing enough to charge more than everyone else and....it's hard convincing yourself they aren't right :(

Bare in mind, Valve more than likely has to get approval to drop the price to a certain level from the publisher, so it's entirely possible that EA simply doesn't see the need to drop ME2 below $49.99 on Steam since it's the biggest DD store (meaning most of the market is there, so the number of people that buy it for cheap on D2D would be balanced out by the number that buy it for full price on Steam). I can't think of a major PC release other than ME2 that Steam hasn't put on sale at some point. Hell, Modern Warfare 2 got one.

Basically I'm just saying that I see no reason to start tossing around paranoid conspiracy theories ;)

Kerrinck

Loxley said:
Bare in mind, Valve more than likely has to get approval to drop the price to a certain level from the publisher, so it's entirely possible that EA simply doesn't see the need to drop ME2 below $49.99. I can't think of a major PC release other than ME2 that Steam hasn't put on sale at some point. Hell, Modern Warfare 2 got one.

Basically I'm just saying that I see no reason to start tossing around paranoid conspiracy theories ;)

Fallout GOTY :( and that 2 minutes pricing error does not count.
Still hoping for it to go on sale, the other dd companies only put the vanilla version on sale.

Chris R

Kerrinck said:
Still hoping for it to go on sale, the other dd companies only put the vanilla version on sale.
Pissed me off sooo badly that I missed the mistake during the holiday sale :lol

Peronthious said:
Make sure you check out the debug mode, it really opens up the game. The dragster especially is a blast, since natively you can't use it outside of specific regions. With the debug mode you can use any vehicle anywhere.
I looked into that, but doesn't it just give you all the achievements or something?

Slavik81

Kerrinck said:
I bought Fallout GotY when it went on sale during the Steam holiday sale. It was $37.50

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Natural Selection 2 is close to getting it's Steam alpha-test for those who have pre-purchased. http://twitpic.com/1l33db

My pants tightened a little. I'm excited for the beta/balance testing to begin (please, some time this year).

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
No midweek deal? and a new MW2 free weekend? didn't we had one of those just recently? Man i'm almost sure the weekend deal is gonna be MW2 all over again.

Gexecuter said:
No midweek deal? and a new MW2 free weekend? didn't we had one of those just recently? Man i'm almost sure the weekend deal is gonna be MW2 all over again.

Sweet 10% discount that DisenLedZep will not care...

Though if it's a REALLY sweet deal, like... 20 bucks... maaaaaaybe

Peronthious said:
That is a side effect, but if you don't want that to happen you can make a separate GFWL profile.
I did it anyway, and it only gave me 19 of the 46 if I ever bother to try and get the achievements.

Everyone online is just sitting in the starting base camp fucking around.

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, FUEL keys are up as kinda predicted! ;p

Ogs said:
Similar here on an ATI 4850. One guy posted some really nice shots from an nVidia card, but I haven't been able to do anything using CCC and/or tray tools. I'm tempted to play around with the shader files manually since you can apparently do things like disabling the radial motion blur (see http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944916).

Debug mode unlocks the GFWL achievements, someone said...there aren't Steam achievements for the game, I assume? I don't see any stats link in my profile stuff for it. Does your profile get deleted or something if you accidentally go online with a debug-mode-enabled one?

Twig

Banned
Bebpo said:

pretty sure it's up to the devs not valve

steam is the most popular so devs don't see the need to offer such great deals all the time

retail sales are up to the retailer not the publisher, dd is not like that

simple as that

i could be wrong though

Lyphen said:
Natural Selection 2 is close to getting it's Steam alpha-test for those who have pre-purchased. http://twitpic.com/1l33db

My pants tightened a little. I'm excited for the beta/balance testing to begin (please, some time this year).

My nipples are so hard right now... Is the alpha test the full game minus some features/riddled with bugs? Or is it just going to be that alpha engine test I ran on my laptop several weeks back?

Twig said:
pretty sure it's up to the devs not valve

steam is the most popular so devs don't see the need to offer such great deals all the time

retail sales are up to the retailer not the publisher, dd is not like that

simple as that

i could be wrong though

Actually I think you are correct.
Steam doesn't fix the prices of the games... the devs does. So if pricing is the matter, devs should be the ones to blame. In fact, if there are deals on weekends and midweeks is because Steams incentivizes them to do so...

Proc

Am I scum for buying the stimulus pack?

I keep coming back to the game and a few of my old university friends still play.

I'm tempted and am getting sick of the maps.

Maybe I should just install the old MW? I wonder if the audience is even big enough to maintain the map cycle. It is a top seller...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Proc said:

I keep coming back to the game and a few of my old university friends still play.

Maybe I should just install the old MW? I wonder if the audience is even big enough to maintain the map cycle. It is a top seller...

Go for it man. I'm sure there will be plenty of people playing them and if you play the game enough/have 15$ sitting around, it's probably worth it. Anyways, this thread has really gone to shit with conspiracy theories about the Map Pack blocking midweek sales from happening so I wouldn't bother asking legitimate questions in here.

Salacious Crumb

Proc said:

I really can't blame anyone who buys it, It's not like you have much of a choice if you really love MW2. I blame Activision for being exploitative. They know they're selling crack, and they know they charge whatever the hell they want for it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Proc said:

Don't worry, Activision fires teams left and right no matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom