• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish I bought Sam & Max S3 over Steam during the first week for the TF2 items. I held off because I wasn't sure if they would work on the Mac but looking at Tell Tale's forums makes me think otherwise. It sure would be nice if they offered those items up again for the mac release.

Slavik81

Proc said:
Am I scum for buying the stimulus pack?
The entire complaint was the price. Given that, I don't see why anyone could be upset with a person that buys it. Its your money, and you have every right to spend it foolishly.

Besides, I think the sales have already shown that it was not overpriced, even if I would never buy it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis121 said:
Steam wants $29.99 for GTA4 when it's $19.99 at Target.

When will people get it in their heads that Steam (Valve) have little control on what publishers decide to sell their games for. Target already has a shit load of GTAIV copies and they can price it at whatever amount they want since they already paid Rockster. It's not like Valve has physical stock that they can price however they please.

Zefah said:
When will people get it in their heads that Steam (Valve) have little control on what publishers decide to sell their games for. Target already has a shit load of GTAIV copies and they can price it at whatever amount they want since they already paid Rockster. It's not like Valve has physical stock that they can price however they please.

This...Just wait for the weekend deals...

Talyn

Volcynika said:
You don't understand how Steam works.
Seriously. If you're not waiting for one of their multitudes of sales you're doing it wrong. I own over 170 games on Steam and every single one was purchased during a sale.

Twig

Banned
Talyn said:
Seriously. If you're not waiting for one of their multitudes of sales you're doing it wrong. I own over 170 games on Steam and every single one was purchased during a sale.
that's not what he meant

last week was free weekend for MW2. DLC dropped. and another free weekend for MW2. So there's a chance the deal will be MW2 at 10% off? :lol.

DMPrince said:
last week was free weekend for MW2. DLC dropped. and another free weekend for MW2. So there's a chance the deal will be MW2 at 10% off? :lol.
That's what it was last time and last time wasn't very long ago.

Javaman

I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of keys had a positive effect on Fuel sales. Certainly word of mouth is a lot higher then I would have expected for the game. Unintentional false scarcity.

Bebpo

Banned
Twig said:
pretty sure it's up to the devs not valve

steam is the most popular so devs don't see the need to offer such great deals all the time

retail sales are up to the retailer not the publisher, dd is not like that

simple as that

i could be wrong though

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's up to the publishers to do the weekend sales. I'm pretty sure Valve decides what it wants to put on sale for the weekend/mid-week sales.

I mean are the current D2D sales all because the publishers are giving their games away for cheap prices?

I think with D2D & Steam, the service buys keys at a set price like a retail store buys physical product. So when D2D or Steam discounts a game they are basically selling below cost in order to drum up customers. Similar to how retail stores do sales below costs and Amazon does deal of the day selling games below cost.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bebpo said:
I might be wrong, but I don't think it's up to the publishers to do the weekend sales. I'm pretty sure Valve decides what it wants to put on sale for the weekend/mid-week sales.

I mean are the current D2D sales all because the publishers are giving their games away for cheap prices?

I think with D2D & Steam, the service buys keys at a set price like a retail store buys physical product. So when D2D or Steam discounts a game they are basically selling below cost in order to drum up customers. Similar to how retail stores do sales below costs and Amazon does deal of the day selling games below cost.

Nope. Valve has stated that they approach devs/publishers with weekend/midweek deal proposals. If the dev/publisher was to say no, there is nothing that Valve could do about it. And I doubt they purchase the keys, but rather are given lists of them to add to their servers.

Firestorm

Bebpo said:

Valve often boasts of how prices can be changed on the fly due to not having to buy games in bulk or whatever. I believe it's a dialog. Valve talks with Publishers and they need Publisher buy-in to do the deal. The first deal was Left 4 Dead iirc and Valve showed off about the sales probably as a marketing move considering how little they usually do that.

There's a FUEL achievement called "Hello World" and it was one of the ones that the debugger didn't unlock for me. You have to drive from the base camp of the starting area to the base camp of the area directly north, and having played the game for a few hours now, I knew that that was an insane distance. I did it anyway... it took me about an hour which is probably more than it should have
JESUS CHRIST I'M GONNA KILL THE FUCKING GPS I SWEAR I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL IT
, and then when I got there, it didn't give me the achievement. So I looked it up and found out that the base camp refers to the area that initiates the menu... so I went a few meters over there and got it. :lol

I can totally see that not appealing to anybody else, but that was actually fun.

Edit: There's two secret achievements for going diagonally across the map both ways. Fuck me.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Desaparecido said:
There's a FUEL achievement called "Hello World" and it was one of the ones that the debugger didn't unlock for me. You have to drive from the base camp of the starting area to the base camp of the area directly north, and having played the game for a few hours now, I knew that that was an insane distance. I did it anyway... it took me about an hour which is probably more than it should have
JESUS CHRIST I'M GONNA KILL THE FUCKING GPS I SWEAR I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL IT
, and then when I got there, it didn't give me the achievement. So I looked it up and found out that the base camp refers to the area that initiates the menu... so I went a few meters over there and got it. :lol

I can totally see that not appealing to anybody else, but that was actually fun.
I'm tempted to go for this achievement. My vehicles suck though so it's going to be a looooooooooong trip.

Jangaroo said:
I'm tempted to go for this achievement. My vehicles suck though so it's going to be a looooooooooong trip.
No longer than mine. I used a chopper even though I unlocked all the vehicles through the debugger. :lol

We should get a GAF group together to do the secret achievements, if anyone can actually stand driving for that long.

I tried this yesterday but without the achievement in mind. Was driving cross to gather some livery (are there any others than paintjobs? FUU)

Took me about 45minutes with some vistas and liveries collected while heading there. I used the buggy you have from the start but tried various other vehicles like the king arthur. They are kinda suck so far. :(

Desaparecido said:
We should get a GAF group together to do the secret achievements, if anyone can actually stand driving for that long.
Can you do freeriding in multiplayer as well?

Polk said:
Nope. But you lost your rights to bitching about price of DLC/DD forever.
A friend of mine and 6 of his friends bought the stimulus pack day one :( BUT he thought twice about buying Winterbottom because of price :'(

One of those guys bought MW2 on g2play and his game got removed @ steam so he went out and bought a retail one as well... Morons :(

fresquito

What's up with midweek madness? Where is it? Last deals have been horrible. I wanted to get GTA IV, but they messed the timing so much, it was impossible for me to get hold of it. Now we don't have midweek madness. It's great to have discounted items, but make sure you put some order, otherwise it's hard to buy them!

Caesar III said:
Can you do freeriding in multiplayer as well?
In the last tab, online -> free ride. You can't do it privately, but that doesn't matter because the few people that are online all stick to the base camp circles.

Desaparecido said:
In the last tab, online -> free ride. You can't do it privately, but that doesn't matter because the few people that are online all stick to the base camp circles.
I did not check the online capabilities so far so I wasn't aware! coool!

robatw

I missed that Rockstar Week because my CC wasn't unlucked from Steam in the right time.

Can i expect another Rockstar Sale? Was there a christmas Rockstar sale?

I need San Andreas and the Liberty City Episodes.

Desaparecido said:

Edit: There's two secret achievements for going diagonally across the map both ways. Fuck me.

you know that you just have to drive to one of those teleport points (vista points), teleport to the nearest one to your target, and just drive from there right? No way you need to drive 8 hours for each achievement.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I haven't seen this mentioned, but Dragon Age got a permanent price drop to $39.99 while the CE is $49.99.

Chiaroscuro said:
you know that you just have to drive to one of those teleport points (vista points), teleport to the nearest one to your target, and just drive from there right? No way you need to drive 8 hours for each achievement.
Well that's no fun. I figured those were equivalent to a heliport.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Archie said:
I haven't seen this mentioned, but Dragon Age got a permanent price drop to $39.99 while the CE is $49.99.
Still €49.99 on Euro steam, meh, Game in sweden sells it for 25.

Edit: And my point is that Game is a horrible store with horribly overpriced games,

vocab

Another MW2 free weekend. lolololololol

Can't wait for COD4 to go on sale next week!

Steam is stuck in some horrible limbo with these deals.

Twig

Banned
Caesar III said:
A friend of mine and 6 of his friends bought the stimulus pack day one :( BUT he thought twice about buying Winterbottom because of price :'(

One of those guys bought MW2 on g2play and his game got removed @ steam so he went out and bought a retail one as well... Morons :(
:lol

god

fucking people i swear

(i have stupid friends too it's okay ;_;)

Desaparecido said:
Well that's no fun. I figured those were equivalent to a heliport.

Well, considering that you used the debugger to unlock the other achievements, I figured out you will not mind getting those by not driving using a ingame cheat. :lol

Anyway, I actually played the game a while ago (payed full price in the game!) and got 1/3 of the achievements.

Chiaroscuro said:
Well, considering that you used the debugger to unlock the other achievements, I figured out you will not mind getting those by not driving using a ingame cheat. :lol
Yeah I don't mind cheating. I just like the driving part, although that is quite a distance...

Tenks

I see there's a demo but does anyone have impressions on Beat Hazard? It sounds pretty neat. I got bored of Audiosurf fairly rapidly but this game seems a bit more my style.

Darklord

Banned
Caesar III said:

Sadly, a lot of people do this. Even on GAF. They'll whinge and whine over a $15/m fee for an MMO or an excellent game like World of Goo or something but are happy to buy $100 collector editions and $20 map packs.

Hawk SE

Desaparecido said:

I did the Hello World one last night.

I can't believe those secret achievements...found some tips though.

Salt over Snow 15
In free ride, go from White Flats Camp to Pinwheels Ridge Camp without resorting to the chopper.

To get this you need to go from Tsunami Reef, which is the second camp you unlock and is in the upper left corner of the map, all the way to Redrock Bluffs, which is in the bottom right corner and is the 9th camp you unlock. You need to do this without using the helicopter. You can do this by starting at Tsunami Reef Camp and going to your map through the menu, and transporting to the nearest livery or vista point that you have unlocked in Redrock Bluffs. From there drive to the base camp and you will get your achievement.

Sand to Stone 15
In free ride, go from Tsunami Reef Camp to Redrock Bluffs Camp without resorting to the chopper.

To get this you need to go from The White Flats, which is the 3rd to last camp you unlock and it's in the upper right corner of the map, all the way to Pinwheels Ridge, which is in the bottom left corner and is the 7th camp you unlock. You need to do this without using the helicopter. You can do this by starting at The White Flats camp and going to your map through the menu, and transporting to the nearest livery or vista point that you have unlocked in Pinwheels Ridge. From there drive to the base camp and you will get your achievement.

Mrbob

vocab said:
Another MW2 free weekend. lolololololol

Can't wait for COD4 to go on sale next week!

Steam is stuck in some horrible limbo with these deals.

Actually I'm glad about this...gives my wallet a break.

It is weird another MW2 free weekend has come up. Either the sales boost was better than expected for the last one or worse...can't tell which one yet. I guess we'll find out this weekend when we see what MW2 is discounted at.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Mrbob said:
Actually I'm glad about this...gives my wallet a break.

It is weird another MW2 free weekend has come up. Either the sales boost was better than expected for the last one or worse...can't tell which one yet. I guess we'll find out this weekend when we see what MW2 is discounted at.
Maybe it will be 25% off. Activision are saints.

The announcement of the Firepower Pack with a jab at MW2:

There is an interesting clash of approaches this week for PC gamers. Yesterday saw the release of MW2’s simple map pack for a staggering $14.99, while today sees the release of Shattered Horizon’s Firepower weapons pack for free. Big publisher and indie developer, both expanding their multiplayer games but going about it in very different ways.

We believe that charging for multiplayer content is the wrong way to treat players who have already invested hundreds of hours into a game’s community. Not only is our DLC free, but for the next week we have decided to sell the complete Shattered Horizon game for just $14.99, the same price as MW2’s map pack alone.

"We believe players should be rewarded for supporting a game and that’s why we have released all our DLC packs for free," said Jaakko Haapasalo, Head of Futuremark Games Studio. "In fact for $14.99, the same price as 'that other map pack' released this week, PC gamers can now get the complete Shattered Horizon game, including both the Moonrise map pack and the brand new Firepower weapons pack, from a developer that puts players first."

The new weapons in the Firepower pack are: Railgun, Machinegun, Assault Rifle, SMG, Shotgun, Pistol, Grenade Pistol and Moon Mining Pick. Three new grenades have also been added: Flare, Pulse and Decoy. Further info about each weapon can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom