• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
crimsonheadGCN said:
The announcement of the Firepower Pack with a jab at MW2:

That's funny because they shipped a game with 4 maps and 1 weapon at the 20$ price point.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Until May 11, 2010, anyone who pre-orders Amnesia: The Dark Descent will receive a 50% discount, so the price will be $10.00/€7.50/£6.50. The game can be activated through Steam.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is developed by Frictional games, who created Penumbra.

Oh shit I remember seeing early concept vids of this. I will preorder based on the fact that it's from the makers of Penumbra and they are some indie devs that I am thrilled to support.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
crimsonheadGCN said:
Until May 11, 2010, anyone who pre-orders Amnesia: The Dark Descent will receive a 50% discount, so the price will be $10.00/€7.50/£6.50. The game can be activated through Steam.

Amnesia: THe Dark Descent is developed by Frictional games, who created Penumbra.

Nice. Will buy probably.

ksan

Stallion Free said:
That's funny because they shipped a game with 4 maps and 1 weapon at the 20$ price point.
And MW2 was released at 3 times that prize and is still without dedicated servers :lol
Also, I'm quite sure that the map pack won't add them :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ksan said:
And MW2 was released at 3 times that prize and is still without dedicated servers :lol
Also, I'm quite sure that the map pack won't add them :lol

Dedicated servers don't mean shit if they are always empty, which Shattered Horizons are most of the time. I struggle to find a server with 10 people and it was only on their last free weekend that I saw more than 10 servers with anyone on them. I think Shattered Horizons is a cool game, but I just lost all respect for them when they try to talk trash that way when they are just as guilty if not more so.

Twig

Banned
At least they're trying to fix their problems for free instead of charging for it, while Activision is charging for things that don't even fix their problems.

I agree SH was overpriced at twenty, though. That's why I got it when it was on sale for... fuck I don't even remember.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
I agree SH was overpriced at twenty, though. That's why I got it when it was on sale for... fuck I don't even remember.

5$. That's when I bought it as well. I would have been depressed if I had dropped 20$ to find no community.

Stallion Free said:
5$. That's when I bought it as well. I would have been depressed if I had dropped 20$ to find no community.

eh i dropped 20 bucks on a nice tech demo, what you expect for a super niche game out of finland

jodosutari

Neo Member
crimsonheadGCN said:

Amnesia: THe Dark Descent is developed by Frictional games, who created Penumbra.

Thanks for the tip! Was thinking of preordering this just a few days ago but this seals the deal.

Twig

Banned
Technosteve said:
eh i dropped 20 bucks on a nice tech demo, what you expect for a super niche game out of finland
Lead & Gold.

$15, much more content, four classes, promises for future support.

Granted, no dedicated servers, but they've been working on that since launch and they'll soon be in the game.

Stallion Free said:

There isn't some equation for (weapons) + (maps) + (unlocks/3) = PRICE POINT for games. To suggest so is silly. Similarly there is no such equation for fun either. It's not like that game would have had a ton more people buy it if they could put the bullet point for 4 weapons on the box.

Alucrid

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:

I clicked the link and watched the video but now I'm confused as to how it plays. Do you control the character's movement some of the time and the game does it some of the time? Some of the reactions there seemed scripted to occur, leaving you only controlling the mouse. Is that right?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Played a bit of Shattered Horizon after the update. Weapons work well, but FutureMark reset my controls. :(

RyanDG

Alucrid said:
I clicked the link and watched the video but now I'm confused as to how it plays. Do you control the character's movement some of the time and the game does it some of the time? Some of the reactions there seemed scripted to occur, leaving you only controlling the mouse. Is that right?

As long as it keeps the same controls as Penumbra, it controls pretty much just like a first person shooter. However, when you come near an item you can interact with (ie doors and stuff), a hand icon appears on screen that allows you to manipulate the item. The video itself is using the in game engine and is actual gameplay, but is a fairly scripted video from my understanding (ie, specific camera positions and stuff were chosen ahead of time). Look up some videos on Penumbra (or better yet, buy the game) to get a good feel for the style.

Penumbra is one of the best horror games released in recent memory.

Yeah, I think these Indie game-makers should stay away from multi-player ONLY games. They are pointless if you don't get a community.

I realize that making levels & AI is a pain in the ass but you can't go multi-player only if not enough people buy the game. And with little indie games . . . they probably won't get the momentum.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I think these Indie game-makers should stay away from multi-player ONLY games. They are pointless if you don't get a community.

I realize that making levels & AI is a pain in the ass but you can't go multi-player only if not enough people buy the game. And with little indie games . . . they probably won't get the momentum.

I feel that way exactly. I would have been thrilled to get a couple hour campaign from Shattered Horizon at the cost of multiplayer. Something along the lines of Zeno Clash in terms of content.

Alucrid

Banned
RyanDG said:
As long as it keeps the same controls as Penumbra, it controls pretty much just like a first person shooter. However, when you come near an item you can interact with (ie doors and stuff), a hand icon appears on screen that allows you to manipulate the item. The video itself is using the in game engine and is actual gameplay, but is a fairly scripted video from my understanding (ie, specific camera positions and stuff were chosen ahead of time). Look up some videos on Penumbra (or better yet, buy the game) to get a good feel for the style.

Penumbra is one of the best horror games released in recent memory.

Oh, I own all three Penumbra games. :lol But that makes sense for the trailers sake, it's just that some of the reactions were almost too perfect.

vocab

speculawyer said:

Eh, it's experimental at best, with a limited budget, and high system specs. It is what it is. At least the servers are filling up. Good time to play the game. Some single player would be awesome.

Also, Stallion, why are you upset about the MW2 jab? $15 for crappy maps sounds shitty anyway you try to spin it, especially when there are thousands of maps for COD4 for free (hell the official map pack was free). Also, Activison gets that money now, and not IW, so your money is pretty much going to the asshole himself.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
Also, Stallion, why are you upset about the MW2 jab? $15 for crappy maps sounds shitty anyway you try to spin it. Also, Activison gets that money now, and not IW, so your money is pretty much going to the asshole himself.

I'm upset because they weren't any better than Activision with the release of their game. It's just really immature PR/marketing that feels like it came straight off a forum. Just like Dice making a big deal about their map packs that they are releasing for free... that are really just the same maps slightly retooled for other game modes.

kamspy

Frictional owns.

I preordered Amnesia months ago (for more than $10:( ).

Penumbra is great up until the third one. The second is really the sweet spot. What an awesome game.

Stallion Free said:
I feel that way exactly. I would have been thrilled to get a couple hour campaign from Shattered Horizon at the cost of multiplayer. Something along the lines of Zeno Clash in terms of content.

Speaking of which, a shattered horizon singleplayer campaign sounds awesome. The mechanics seem very intimidating as a multiplayer competitive shooter IMO (that and the small dedicated veteran playerbase). Off the top of my head, the environment/mechanics really set the stage for some amazing and original set pieces. I think building a singleplayer campaign would drum up more interest for the multiplayer aspect of it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stallion Free said:
I'm upset because they weren't any better than Activision with the release of their game. It's just really immature PR/marketing that feels like it came straight off a forum. Just like Dice making a big deal about their map packs that they are releasing for free... that are really just the same maps slightly retooled for other game modes.
Considering activision upped the price to $60 for the game, removed dedicated servers to allow charging for maps in the first place, and then charged $15 for the map pack, I think they stand head and shoulders above the others in terms of gougage. Of course they are going to draw attention to the fact that the full MW2 game now sets you back $75 on PC, for less money you can get both Shattered Horizon and Bad Company, comparing price points is not really immature.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
poppabk said:
Considering activision upped the price to $60 for the game, removed dedicated servers to allow charging for maps in the first place, and then charged $15 for the map pack, I think they stand head and shoulders above the others in terms of gougage. Of course they are going to draw attention to the fact that the full MW2 game now sets you back $75 on PC, for less money you can get both Shattered Horizon and Bad Company, comparing price points is not really immature.

A game should be able to stand on it's own, it shouldn't need to stand on the shoulders of others.

Salsa

Hey, maybe we can add this to the OP:

There are some free games up for grabs on Steam and some people may not realize it, right ? so i got this list from the steam forums:

For ATI/AMD (Radeon) graphic card users: install
- Half-Life 2: Deathmatch [6]
- Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

For Nvidia (GeForce) graphic card users: install
- Half-Life 2: Deathmatch [6]
- Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
- Portal: First Slice

For all Steam users:
America's Army 3 - install
BattleForge [1][4][7][8] - install
Between [1][4] - install
Codename Gordon - install
COIL [1] - install
Mightier [1] - install
Peggle Extreme - install
Sam & Max: Episode 4 - install
Spacewar - install
TrackMania Nations Forever [2] - install

Free addons and resources for already purchased games:
Counter-Strike (Counter-Strike Steamworks Beta access) - install
Half-Life (high definition models) - install
RACE 07 (Crowne Plaza Raceway track) - install

Steam delivered MODs:
Age of Chivalry (requires Source SDK) - install
D.I.P.R.I.P. Warm Up (requires Source SDK) - install
Darkest Hour (requires Red Orchestra) - install
Defence Alliance 2 (requires Killing Floor) - install
Dystopia (requires Source SDK) - install
Eternal Silence (requires Source SDK) - install
INSURGENCY (requires Source SDK) - install
Mare Nostrum (requires Red Orchestra) - install
Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II (requires Source SDK) - install
Smashball (requires Source SDK) - install
Synergy (requires Half-Life 2) - install
Zombie Panic! Source (requires Source SDK) - install

== notes ==
[1] mistakenly listed as a demo on storefront
[2] already included on TrackMania United
[3] deployed and deprected, but continues working
[4] mistakenly named as a demo on "My games" list
[5] will install addon on your title and a demo to run feature standalone
[6] does not include Source SDK tool (required to run some MODs)
[7] offered by Play4Free license / micropayment
[8] storefront not available in Japan and the United Kingdom

Joe Molotov

crimsonheadGCN said:

Awesome, looks like a great game for me to buy and then never play because I'm a massive pussy.

crimsonheadGCN said:

When I saw that yesterday, the meter was at 650-ish, so they're definitely getting to 2000.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but if you donate to the "Humble Indie Bundle", you can pay $5 for the complete Penumbra collection, although it isn't the Steam version.

@Shattered Horizons - they really need to lower the price of that game. The community is so small. No doubt after playing a guest pass, I'd buy it at $5 even for the occasional game, but $20 is too much to ask (not because it isn't worth $20, but because they need to get people playing it).

Salacious Crumb

crimsonheadGCN said:

After playing the penumbra games there's no way I couldn't buy this.

Thanks for the tip.

Salacious Crumb said:
After playing the penumbra games there's no way I couldn't buy this.

Thanks for the tip.

God damn that's bullshit! I've already pre-ordered this from their main site.

Eh no reason to nitpick, I'm glad to support the team full price!

Anyone that's a fan of the horror genre in general, HP Lovecraft, Penumbra series, etc etc needs to hop on this deal NOW.

Salacious Crumb

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
God damn that's bullshit! I've already pre-ordered this from their main site.

Eh no reason to nitpick, I'm glad to support the team full price!

Anyone that's a fan of the horror genre in general, HP Lovecraft, Penumbra series, etc etc needs to hop on this deal NOW.

You do know I HAVE bought it right.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Defense Grid had another update to prepare for DLC, however no free maps this time, just some inactive menu options.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
WickedLaharl said:
fuel looks like shit and adjusting the AA/AF settings seems to have no effect.

what's the deal? anyway to force AA?
AA does practically nothing. I think you're going to have to force it through whatever driver control you have judging from the forums online.

ArjanN

vocab said:
Aw. I want it on steam badly.

If you get Amnesia from their site, they'll still let you activate it on Steam later!

If you get Amnesia from their site, they'll still let you activate it on Steam later!

speculawyer said:
Lara Croft on the PC with all of this:
Single-player
Multi-player
Co-op
Steam Achievements
Steam Leaderboards
Steam Cloud
Stats
Valve Anti-Cheat enabled
Controller enabled

I think I'll be buying the PC version instead of a console version.

You mean you were considering doing anything different? The modern Tomb Raider games have all been much better on PC. They really benefit from a fluid framerate.

cbox

preordered amnesia without watching that video, based my purchase purely on the bliss of playing through the penumbra games.

brain_stew said:
You mean you were considering doing anything different? The modern Tomb Raider games have all been much better on PC. They really benefit from a fluid framerate.

Plus the Steam page mentions offline co-op, which is usually my only reason to go with console versions these days. Nice to see that they didn't cheap out and either make co-op online only or just cut in totally like so many PC games seem to do.

vocab

ArjanN said:

No. I was talking about the $5 collection. I might get Amnesia, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom