• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
i tried forcing AA through CCC and it didn't take. ah well not a big deal since the game seems pretty mediocre to me.
Are these any better than what you're seeing?

Half-size for fake AA:
11gnjah.jpg

Full-size:
FUEL_2010-05-05_01-34-28-67.jpg

If yes, then I can try to find some tray tools settings to tell you (such as negative LOD bias). If no, then you may be stuck unless someone finds some way to force SSAA, and someone already said that didn't seem to work either. I'm not sure it looks much cleaner on nVidia cards...someone suggested that the problem was shader aliasing? I haven't played with the shader files yet myself but I'm not super optimistic.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I have 10 bucks and i want to spend them since i don't think we will have a good weekend deal this week (MW2 lol) I was thinking of getting Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory since everyone says that is the better game in the series tough i'm always open to suggestions.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Stallion Free said:
I'm upset because they weren't any better than Activision with the release of their game. It's just really immature PR/marketing that feels like it came straight off a forum. Just like Dice making a big deal about their map packs that they are releasing for free... that are really just the same maps slightly retooled for other game modes.

any developer who expands upon their multi-player content for free has free reign to piss on those who don't. rule #1 of the pc gamer manifesto. just above the rule about what happens when developers release their multiplayer fps without dedicated servers, which is just above the rule about charging $60 for an unbalanced schizophrenic jingoist shit fest for 14 year old asperger sufferers.

aslong as they keep it above shit like child abduction, there's few things that futuremark could say about activision that wouldn't be validated by circumstance.

Blizzard said:

Half-size for fake AA:
http://i41.tinypic.com/11gnjah.jpg

Full-size:
http://j.imagehost.org/0678/FUEL_2010-05-05_01-34-28-67.jpg

If yes, then I can try to find some tray tools settings to tell you (such as negative LOD bias). If no, then you may be stuck unless someone finds some way to force SSAA, and someone already said that didn't seem to work either. I'm not sure it looks much cleaner on nVidia cards...someone suggested that the problem was shader aliasing? I haven't played with the shader files yet myself but I'm not super optimistic.
there was a picture posted in the hi-res thread. looks real good. but the image you posted is what i get (ATI card) sucks too. ;(.

vanty

Gexecuter said:
I have 10 bucks and i want to spend them since i don't think we will have a good weekend deal this week (MW2 lol) I was thinking of getting Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory since everyone says that is the better game in the series tough i'm always open to suggestions.
Chaos Theory is amazing. If you haven't played it before definitely get it.

DMPrince said:
there was a picture posted in the hi-res thread. looks real good. but the image you posted is what i get (ATI card) sucks too. ;(.

I decided to go back and try Fuel, and while I'm having trouble forcing AA, I've sorted out the textures out just fine.

Set trilinear ingame and 16xaf through drivers/nhancer, force trilinear mipmaps and clamp negative LOD bias and all your textures will be beatifully filtered, they won't blur or shimmer.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Gexecuter said:
I guess that settles it, also this is gonna my first splinter cell game so i'm hyped. Thanks.
I replayed Chaos Theory on Steam about a month ago. Still holds up wonderfully and it actually controls really well with M+K. Get it and don't look back.

kamspy

Gexecuter said:
I guess that settles it, also this is gonna my first splinter cell game so i'm hyped. Thanks.

It hasn't aged a day.

Also proves that SC is at home on kbm. The mouse scroll for walk speed is just bliss.

Enjoy.

brain_stew said:
I decided to go back and try Fuel, and while I'm having trouble forcing AA, I've sorted out the textures out just fine.

Set trilinear ingame and 16xaf through drivers/nhancer, force trilinear mipmaps and clamp negative LOD bias and all your textures will be beatifully filtered, they won't blur or shimmer.
i can do everything with AIT but the LOD and Trilinear mipmaps.

Salacious Crumb

ArjanN said:
If you get Amnesia from their site, they'll still let you activate it on Steam later!

If you get Amnesia from their site, they'll still let you activate it on Steam later!

Oh sweet I didn't realize that. Now I'm doubly happy about my purchase :)

DMPrince said:
i can do everything with AIT but the LOD and Trilinear mipmaps.

Try using ATI tray tools, it should have an option for that stuff. Sorting out the textures definitely makes it look much nicer, without shimmering textures the aliasing isn't all that bad.

Gexecuter said:
Perfect starting point. Going back, they still hold up, but Chaos Theory is the highest point in the series.

Blizzard said:

Half-size for fake AA:
http://i41.tinypic.com/11gnjah.jpg[IMG]

Full-size:
[img]http://j.imagehost.org/0678/FUEL_2010-05-05_01-34-28-67.jpg[img]

If yes, then I can try to find some tray tools settings to tell you (such as negative LOD bias). If no, then you may be stuck unless someone finds some way to force SSAA, and someone already said that didn't seem to work either. I'm not sure it looks much cleaner on nVidia cards...someone suggested that the problem was shader aliasing? I haven't played with the shader files yet myself but I'm not super optimistic.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://imgur.com/UabTK.jpg][IMG]http://imgur.com/UabTKs.jpg[/URL]

that's what fuel looks like for me :(

crimsonheadGCN said:
Until May 11, 2010, anyone who pre-orders Amnesia: The Dark Descent will receive a 50% discount, so the price will be $10.00/€7.50/£6.50. The game can be activated through Steam.

Amnesia: THe Dark Descent is developed by Frictional games, who created Penumbra.
Also, this post reminded me shortly after that I now have SURROUND SOUND. I think I need to replay the Penumbra series some time soon... :D

Salsa

is there someone else having trouble to login ? or any other trouble with steam at all lately ? a while ago it took a long time to log in and now its just stuck on the loggin in screen..

edit: Ok, ive been able to log in but i got this message "your credentials have expired" or something like that, it told me to do a "fresh" login, and after a while it logged in and everyhings ok.

wtf is that ? is somebody trying to steal my account or something ?

Oreoleo

SalsaShark said:
is there someone else having trouble to login ? or any other trouble with steam at all lately ? a while ago it took a long time to log in and now its just stuck on the loggin in screen..

edit: Ok, ive been able to log in but i got this message "your credentials have expired" or something like that, it told me to do a "fresh" login, and after a while it logged in and everyhings ok.

Nah, I think your account is fine. I just had trouble logging into Steam as well. Only took a second try, but that's still one more try than it usually takes. I think the Steam servers are just kinda hammered right now, between the Torchlight update, Shattered Horizon update, people preloading MW2 AGAIN for a free weekend, there's a lot of bandwidth getting used up ATM.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
SalsaShark said:

I had that credentials have expired thing happen to me a week ago. I guess Steam automatically requires you to log in every now and than to make sure it's you if you have it auto-log in for you?

Jangaroo said:
I replayed Chaos Theory on Steam about a month ago. Still holds up wonderfully and it actually controls really well with M+K. Get it and don't look back.
Did the same thing. Aside from some of the character models, it still is a beautiful-looking game. If anyone hasn't played Chaos Theory, you really should. Great campaign and a really fun coop mode.

Diebuster

crimsonheadGCN said:
Until May 11, 2010, anyone who pre-orders Amnesia: The Dark Descent will receive a 50% discount, so the price will be $10.00/€7.50/£6.50. The game can be activated through Steam.

Amnesia: THe Dark Descent is developed by Frictional games, who created Penumbra.

50% off and can be activated through Steam? Time for me to preorder :D

Frictional Games earned a place on my "I would buy their game without knowing anything about it" list. So naturally, i'm in for an Amnesia preorder, though I had no idea the game existed until just now. The future Steam integration only sweetens the deal.

thetechkid

So on PC Steam keeps saying that I don't have an internet connection, but I was able to connect and play some L4D on my laptop. Here's my error:

Connection Error

Could not connect to the Steam network.

It appears that you are not currently connected to the internet, or that your
internet connection is not configured correctly for Steam.

Either check your connection and click 'Retry,'
or start Steam in Offline mode"[

Network troubleshooting tips

[Retry Connection] [Start in Offline Mode] [Quit]

Any ideas or fixes?

TheFightingFish said:
Plus the Steam page mentions offline co-op, which is usually my only reason to go with console versions these days. Nice to see that they didn't cheap out and either make co-op online only or just cut in totally like so many PC games seem to do.

Why exactly does this happen anyway? I was really annoyed when I had a friend over and we couldn't figure out how to get offline co-op going. It seems you have to do some ridiculous console commands/.cfg modding to get it working.

Any reason why the new UI pauses any steam download when I start a game? I can understand that for multiplayer purposes, but even single-player only games are stopping the background downloads. It was not like that in the old Steam. Any setting I can change?

Volcynika

Chiaroscuro said:
Any reason why the new UI pauses any steam download when I start a game? I can understand that for multiplayer purposes, but even single-player only games are stopping the background downloads. It was not like that in the old Steam. Any setting I can change?

It was the same way in the old Steam. It just seems random based on the game. Sometimes they'll keep downloading, sometimes they'll pause.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Chiaroscuro said:

Nope, it did the same thing on the old Steam. They really should add a toggle in individual game settings, like for In-game Steam Community, that allows you to tell it to keep downloading games.

Kleevah

Yeah, did this in the old Steam for me too. I just alt-tab out of the game and click resume, that seems to work most of the times.

Grayman

Chiaroscuro said:
it was like that in the old steam for me. you can try alt tabbing and pause/resume the download

Benedict

Salivating already...
But too expensive on Steam for the deluxe edition.
Won't pay $71 for that.

Since it's a Steamworks game, can I buy the game on disc and still install it through Steam to avoid being forced to use the disc?

2K Games and Valve today announced an agreement to power all PC versions of the highly anticipated Sid Meier’s Civilization V with many of Steamworks’ features and offer a special Digital Deluxe Edition via Steam. In addition, customers who pre-order the regular or Digital Deluxe editions of Sid Meier’s Civilization V on Steam will be rewarded with a free map pack when the game launches in fall 2010.

Sid Meier’s Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition will expand players’ conquests with the new Babylonian civilization and their ruler, Nebuchadnezzar II (c. 630 – c. 561 B.C.). As King of Babylon, gamers will be able to expand their empire with advanced Babylonian Bowmen to rightfully earn the title of Nebuchadnezzar the Great. Sid Meier’s Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition will also include an in-depth “Behind the Scenes at Firaxis with Civilization V” video feature, as well as the game’s epic soundtrack.

Gamers who pre-order any version of Sid Meier’s Civilization V from Steam will receive the downloadable bonus content, Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia, for free when the game is available. The map pack will let players experience the traditional Western and Middle Eastern “Cradle of Civilization.” The pack will include the Fertile Crescent with the Nile River valley to the west and extending east down the Tigris and Euphrates river valleys to the Persian Gulf. Leaders will be able to explore new terrain, cultures and conquests.

For those who can’t wait for the immersive experience of Sid Meier’s Civilization V, 2K Games is proud to offer a Steam-wide sale on all previous Civilization titles for a limited time beginning today.

source: businesswire.com

Dynoro

Chiaroscuro said:
I'd guess its so it doesn't harm your game experience. If you're downloading at 20MB/s to the same hard drive that a game is trying to stream game data off it might cause a few issues like drop in frame rate. Valve may also be against unlocking multiple games under one account at once

EDIT: and Civ V pre-ordered :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Holy shit. I don't think I have ever had a place let me download something so fast. I'm pretty sure the download speed cap on my internet is 15 mbps. Most websites don't let me go much over 1 mbps. I guess it pays to download things over night when most people in your Steam server region are asleep :lol

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
RailWorks Glasgow Airport Rail Link Add-on is #6 on the top sellers list, FFFFUUUU. No wonder when it contains such exciting content:

Disruption in Govan

You are rostered to drive a shuttle service from Glasgow International Airport to Glasgow Central. Be watchful as there are reports of a failed train in the Govan area.

All aboard the fail train.

Joe Molotov

Benedict said:
For those who can’t wait for the immersive experience of Sid Meier’s Civilization V, 2K Games is proud to offer a Steam-wide sale on all previous Civilization titles for a limited time beginning today.

Civ 4 Collection is $10!!

poweld

thetechkid said:
So on PC Steam keeps saying that I don't have an internet connection, but I was able to connect and play some L4D on my laptop. Here's my error:

Any ideas or fixes?
Try deleting your .blob

hamchan

MmmSkyscraper said:
RailWorks Glasgow Airport Rail Link Add-on is #6 on the top sellers list, FFFFUUUU. No wonder when it contains such exciting content:

All aboard the fail train.

Whoa. I'm surprised the DLC actually sells, well too! I thought it was just a way to take up space on New Releases. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
brain_stew said:

I think I asked you the same thing in the screenshot thread -- I know that you can do nHancer stuff, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it with an ATI card. :lol *cry*

I did negative LOD bias with tray tools, and I forced 8xAA and 16xAF. I used "high quality" mipmaps, whatever that is. My textures look okay to me ingame, and I think I found one or two settings (maybe edge-detecting AA) that looked better than the others. I can't run it all smoothly with those settings, but it looks okay except for all the jaggies on the vehicles and the water like you can see from my screenshot. If you have any better screenshots of that area or if you figure out how to make the vehicles/water non-jaggy, or if you have any further ATI card advice, please share. :D

ne1

crimsonheadGCN said:

Though I own the Penumbra series and haven't had time to play them I still had to bite at that opportunity. Have to support ones local developers and it's another game to add to the steam backlog, eh? ;)
I wonder if the Penumbra series will be supporting steam play for mac, since there apparently are mac, and linux, versions available.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm telling you guys, I have my finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist: over the past few days I've been getting people to install FreeCiv (an open-source version of Civilization) and now, as if ordained by the Gods-atop-Mt. Olympus-themselves, Civ4 is on sale for stupidly little money.

You're welcome.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Molotov said:
Civ 4 Collection is $10!!

What?! But i was gonna buy Chaos Theory....damn you Steam! Anyway i'm in a region restricted country so i'm wondering if anyone can gift me the Civ 4 Collection in exchange of me gifting you a 10 dollar game, obviously i'll gift your game first. Gaffer scitek knows i'm good.

Volcynika

Gexecuter said:
What?! But i was gonna buy Chaos Theory....damn you Steam! Anyway i'm in a region restricted country so i'm wondering if anyone can gift me the Civ 4 Collection in exchange of me gifting you a 10 dollar game, obviously i'll gift your game first. Gaffer scitek knows i'm good.

Might be able to help you out if no one else can assist. At work, so it'd have to be later today.

LugNut74

What a day. Have been wanting to pick up Civ IV and at $10 it is a no brainer purchase now. Once they announce the mac version of Civ V i pick it up also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom