• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Psy-Phi said:
Just play Beyond the Sword. Or Warlords. I can't recall if playing either with both installed makes for cumulative overall additions/changes. But playing Beyond the Sword is your best bet IMO. Unless you want to play vanilla Civ 4. BTS has more of just about any circumstance in the game. More civilizations, units, more disasters, more research, corporations, more espionage, just more more more. It's a great addition.

Warlords being more war oriented is nice if you want to fight though. Or if you want more war oriented game. It too has more civilizations, more units, more special people, but I didn't play it all that much.

OK, I just realized I have no idea what I'm getting into.

If I launch BTS, will I be able to access all the content of Civ4 along with the BTS extras?

How exactly does this beast work?

FlawlessCowboy said:
Is Civ IV pretty easy to learn? I've never really played a turn based strategy game like it before. Looks kinda complicated. <_<

It's very easy to jump into on the easier difficulties. If you want to get a bit more into it, there's a great strategy guide here.

Ogs said:
So whats Civs multiplayer like ? Just you and others building cities at the same time ? Can games be saved and resumed ? (Im a complete Civ noob, but interested, last 1 i played was Civ 2..... on the PS1 :D)
More importantly, does anyone actively play it?

I know that Civ3 has a play-by-email mode.

Thanks, guys. It looks like I'm going to be buying CIV IV. Five dollars is just too good to pass up.

I still haven't even installed GTA: San Andreas, Kings Bounty, or Crysis Warhead. :(

Psy-Phi

kamspy said:
OK, I just realized I have no idea what I'm getting into.

If I launch BTS, will I be able to access all the content of Civ4 along with the BTS extras?

How exactly does this beast work?
Yeah BTS is an expansion in the purest sense of the word. You get the original content but the content from BTS is intertwined and expands the experience of the original game.

I'd suggest playing BTS purely because what it offers feels like a very welcome addition. Nothing is necessary but it makes the experience of the game that much more enjoyable.

Desaparecido said:
More importantly, does anyone actively play it?

I know that Civ3 has a play-by-email mode.

Civ IV multiplayer games take far too long to be practical. The only people I've played with are close friends; games can literally go on for a week of solid playing after work.

Volcynika

:lol

Just love how MW2 went from one weekend deal at 15% off (still higher than most retail pc games) to this weekend at 17% off (now the price of a normal retail pc game!)

kamspy

Psy-Phi said:
Yeah BTS is an expansion in the purest sense of the word. You get the original content but the content from BTS is intertwined and expands the experience of the original game.

I'd suggest playing BTS purely because what it offers feels like a very welcome addition. Nothing is necessary but it makes the experience of the game that much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the reply. I'll do exactly that.

Always liked RTS games, but I haven't played a straight strat game long term since Sim City(1) and Sim Ant (which rocks).

I hope I like it. My other attempts have been Empire: Total War which was too much for me to chew, and Tropico 3 which is a blast but I kinda put it down and forgot to pick it back up.

FlawlessCowboy said:
Thanks, guys. It looks like I'm going to be buying CIV IV. Five dollars is just too good to pass up.

I still haven't even installed GTA: San Andreas, Kings Bounty, or Crysis Warhead. :(

NO

Shell out the extra $5 for BTS. That expansion adds so much to the game, it's almost unplayable without it after firing it up. That, and many mods require BTS to run properly. I don't think there's a Fall from Heaven 2 version for vanilla civ IV.

Volcynika said:
:lol

Just love how MW2 went from one weekend deal at 15% off (still higher than most retail pc games) to this weekend at 17% off (now the price of a normal retail pc game!)
next week it'll be 18%!

Max

I am not Max
Went ahead and bought the Civ IV pack. Now then, should I be playing these in some sort of order, or can they all be installed and played individually?

epmode said:

Thanks for this link. I was just browsing Steam and noticed that the Complete Edition was $10 on sale. Had to pick it up even though I;m not so sure I'll like it. I played Civ II a little way back when and couldn't get into it. I really want to enjoy the series but it seems very time consuming and frustrating. I will reserve judgement until I get some time into it! I'm sure much has changed since.

bathala

Banned
DigitalSoul said:
The Civ games look interesting, but haven't played an RTS game in like a decade. How easy are they to get into?
I'm not a strategy player. Civ is my gateway since its not Real Time. its turn base

chixdiggit

Bought the Civ 4 bundle during the holiday sale. I have yet to make it through my first game. I really need to dig into it one of these days.

Twig

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Thanks for this link. I was just browsing Steam and noticed that the Complete Edition was $10 on sale. Had to pick it up even though I;m not so sure I'll like it. I played Civ II a little way back when and couldn't get into it. I really want to enjoy the series but it seems very time consuming and frustrating. I will reserve judgement until I get some time into it! I'm sure much has changed since.
It's only frustrating if you jump straight into the higher difficulties (which are brutal, or so I hear, I've never bothered).

Start on easy.

benjipwns

Banned
Max said:
The damn expansions are larger than the core game :lol
Stallion Free said:
Hey one of them isn't! :lol
You don't need to download the core game plus the expansions, you can just download Beyond the Sword since it has all the content from Civ IV and Warlords. (Unless you want to play with someone who only has a specific version.)

Colonization is the only separate one.

Firebrand

Max said:
The damn expansions are larger than the core game :lol

For the Steam version each expansion includes the core. So if you want to play with the BtS features you only need to install that product and not vanilla Civ4.

Boonoo

epmode said:
Civ 4 doesn't really support widescreen, unless you screw around with config files. Even then, it never really works like a legitimate widescreen mode.

I haven't really played much, but it lets me pick 1920x1080 in the graphics menu. Is there something I'm missing?

Salsa

The Civ deals are not available in my region. Never played a Civ before, does someone feel like gifting me Civ III (is the one at 1.25 right ?) ? i will paypal if wanted :D is it a good game to get started on the series ? i just dont feel like spending 10 bucks (Civ IV) on something i might not even like..

Max

I am not Max
benjipwns said:
You don't need to download the core game plus the expansions, you can just download Beyond the Sword since it has all the content from Civ IV and Warlords. (Unless you want to play with someone who only has a specific version.)

Colonization is the only separate one.
Why have 3 entries on the steam list then? I wish I'd knew this before I downloaded and installed the core game.

benjipwns

Banned
Max said:
Why have 3 entries on the steam list then?
As I noted, I'm pretty sure that if you know someone who only has the base Civ IV or Warlords you need that installed to play with them.

It must be however the games are packaged that it can't work like Counter-Strike/Half-Life do for example.

Truespeed

epmode said:
Civ 4 doesn't really support widescreen, unless you screw around with config files. Even then, it never really works like a legitimate widescreen mode.

Say what? Civ 4 supports widescreen just fine without tweaking.

Max

I am not Max
benjipwns said:
As I noted, I'm pretty sure that if you know someone who only has the base Civ IV or Warlords you need that installed to play with them.

It must be however the games are packaged that it can't work like Counter-Strike/Half-Life do for example.
Oh I guess that makes sense then, thanks

Time to download another 3.5GB :lol

Ok guys, need a quick opinion.

I've got some left over money in my Paypal account, so I'm going to burn it on Steam.
At the moment I'm thinking of getting 2 out of these three games:

Deus Ex
Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
Shatter

I've never played any of them.

Which two should I get?

davonaytor said:
Ok guys, need a quick opinion.

I've got some left over money in my Paypal account, so I'm going to burn it on Steam.
At the moment I'm thinking of getting 2 out of these three games:

Deus Ex
Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
Shatter

I've never played any of them.

Which two should I get?

I would guess most would say Deus Ex and Shatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom