• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Shit. Been waiting for this game for a while, but didn't expect it so soon. D:

I think I might wait for a demo, though. ):
Nikorasu said:
I really want to try the Path, it looks quite interesting. These guys don't have much of a pedigree (the graveyard?) but I'm an open-minded sort. :)
No, they don't. It's just one of those artsy indie devs.

I hear it's not much of a game, but good for what it is. I'm interested but not right this moment.

Oreoleo

Volcynika said:
And Far Cry 2 Fortunes Pack available for $4.99

FUCK THAT. Get your shitty paid dlc off my Steam Ubi
shakefist.gif

DrXym

I bought Empire: Total War for €35 in GAME (I could have bought it for less in Gamestop but it was too late). The price on Steam? €49.99

The irony is that after the disk version installs, it uses the Steam service. So I have saved myself €15 by buying the physical copy which is otherwise identical.

Valve really need to sort their EU prices out because they're beyond a joke at the moment.

rezuth

DrXym said:
I bought Empire: Total War for €35 in GAME (I could have bought it for less in Gamestop but it was too late). The price on Steam? €49.99

The irony is that after the disk version installs, it uses the Steam service. So I have saved myself €15 by buying the physical copy which is otherwise identical.

Valve really need to sort their EU prices out because they're beyond a joke at the moment.
Valve does not set the prices

Easy_D

never left the stone age
DrXym said:

Yeah, I did the same with FEAR 2. It costs 50 Euros on Steam, I bought a physical copy for 339 SEK, which is roughly 30 euros :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Anyone know if that Merchants of Brooklyn game is any good? The graphics look insane.

edit: Nevermind, checked the steam forums and it is apparently shit.

Thomper

Melhisedek said:
How come Impulse doesn't need to change from USD to EUR? Like if it costs 40 $ it costs 40 bucks even for people from EU
Because Impulse doesn't have EA, UbiSoft, or any other big publisher. Most big publishers want to have prices in separate currencies. And publishers are getting better with prices; something like Zeno Clash is 10 dollars, or 8 euro's. Same with all sorts of other games. Not everything, yet, but it's improving, at least.

Slavik81

Volcynika said:
And Far Cry 2 Fortunes Pack available for $4.99
That's a shame. They worked so hard too. I was really skeptical until it was eventually shown that they made a reasonably interesting game. And now, to me, they're back where they started.

Javaman said:
What a crock of shit. I was about to buy "The Maw" yesterday and saw the DLC listed. There's no way I'm going to support that garbage.
As someone who purchased The Maw, I don't feel the DLC is really a problem. The main game is slow and boring enough that it should have more than enough content to outlast the patience of most people.

Not sure if I want it. Trailer on Steam's page didn't really do anything for me except show me an interesting look. Gameplay looked kind of weird. I'll think about it. I'd rather wait and see what people think about it and then spend $20 if it's worth it.

Hinomura

Week end deal is 75% off Oddworld games, that means Oddworld Pack 3.75€!

Any idea about Zeno Clash release date or is it just April?

Struct09

I've never played either of those Oddworld games. How do they run on PC (64-bit Windows specifically)? And do they work with the Xbox 360 controller?

Hinomura said:
Week end deal is 75% off Oddworld games, that means Oddworld Pack 3.75€!

Any idea about Zeno Clash release date or is it just April?

They're a ridiculous £2.25 for the pack in the UK. How in the hell are you supposed to resist that?

Doytch

Eh, I'll pass. Not interested at all...

And for Vista people, it's not compatible. Apparently the GOG version is though.

Doytch said:
Eh, I'll pass. Not interested at all...

And for Vista people, it's not compatible. Apparently the GOG version is though.

Oh shit, is that for real? Who's bone headed move was it to only update the game on one service and not the other?

Edit: According to the Steam forums Vista x64 seems to be problem free but Vista x86 support is iffy at best. I guess I'll try the demo first.

Finguo

Just noticed something interesting regarding prices on Steam. There have been regular complaints about overpriced games on Valve's DD service compared to their retail siblings. The reaction of the pro-Steam crowd so far has always been "Valve does not decide the price point, the greedy publishers do." But accidentally I just stumbled across some EA games on Gamersgate, namely Crysis, Warhead, Spore and Burnout, and all of them are priced a whopping 10 € cheaper than on Steam.
Since there is no word about any EA sales on GG, I guess either EA has decided to offer their games cheaper on GG or GG has decided to offer EA games cheaper than the competition. I doubt, though, that GG could afford to take a 10€ cut off their own margin with every EA game being sold. On the other hand, why would EA have different prices on different DD platforms? Just checked D2D, prices are the same as on Steam.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Just noticed the EA games on GG are labeled as the UK versions. On D2D UK the prices are approximately the same, so maybe EA UK sets different prices than the other regional EA divisions? Can someone check the UK Steam store? I'm in Germany here. Wondering though why all of a sudden I can buy UK games on GG, used to be region locked in the past.

Doytch

brain_stew said:
Oh shit, is that for real? Who's bone headed move was it to only update the game on one service and not the other?

Edit: According to the Steam forums Vista x64 seems to be problem free but Vista x86 support is iffy at best. I guess I'll try the demo first.

CD Projekt does the updating themselves. Valve doesn't, so they just took whatever they got and threw it up on Steam.

Doytch said:
CD Projekt does the updating themselves. Valve doesn't, so they just took whatever they got and threw it up on Steam.

I should have figured, just another reason why gog.com is the gold standard of digital distribution. I think I'm still going to take a punt though, at that price its a little too hard to resist.

Mrbob

Gold standard if all you want are old games.

Don't get me wrong, I use Gog and like it, but lets be a bit realistic here. ;)

Finguo said:
Just noticed something interesting regarding prices on Steam. There have been regular complaints about overpriced games on Valve's DD service compared to their retail siblings. The reaction of the pro-Steam crowd so far has always been "Valve does not decide the price point, the greedy publishers do." But accidentally I just stumbled across some EA games on Gamersgate, namely Crysis, Warhead, Spore and Burnout, and all of them are priced a whopping 10 € cheaper than on Steam.
Since there is no word about any EA sales on GG, I guess either EA has decided to offer their games cheaper on GG or GG has decided to offer EA games cheaper than the competition. I doubt, though, that GG could afford to take a 10€ cut off their own margin with every EA game being sold. On the other hand, why would EA have different prices on different DD platforms? Just checked D2D, prices are the same as on Steam.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Just noticed the EA games on GG are labeled as the UK versions. On D2D UK the prices are approximately the same, so maybe EA UK sets different prices than the other regional EA divisions? Can someone check the UK Steam store? I'm in Germany here. Wondering though why all of a sudden I can buy UK games on GG, used to be region locked in the past.

EA game's aren't even available on Steam for UK residents. So, yeah, it just seems a case of horrible coordination of local divisions on EA's part. Oh, and EA games have only just gone up on Gamersgate for UK gamers as well, so perhaps its just a case of rolling them out for UK customers one by one? UK steam prices are cheaper than EU prices for most games so perhaps EA decided to use their (future) UK prices for the rest of Europe when rolling out the service to Gamer's Gate?

Mrbob said:
Gold standard if all you want are old games.

Don't get me wrong, I use Gog and like it, but lets be a bit realistic here. ;)

I'm talking in terms of the service offered. Sure focusing on a niche probably helps, but CD Projekt don't half make sure they deliver the best product offering, value and service that they possibly can.

Mrbob

Finguo said:

What do you guys think?

Only Warhead is on USA gamersgate. No Burnout either. Prices are the same at both stores for Warhead and Spore. Must be a UK thing.

Mrbob

brain_stew said:
I'm talking in terms of the service offered. Sure focusing on a niche probably helps, but CD Projekt don't half make sure they deliver the best product offering, value and service that they possibly can.

This is all good, but you will also be paying a premium for it. Both Abe games are $9.99 each on GoG. I'll take my chances by getting them bundled together for $3.75 on steam. But I have XP so I won't have an issue getting it to run and I'll save the 16 bucks and put this towards something else.

Finguo

brain_stew said:
EA game's aren't even available on Steam for UK residents. So, yeah, it just seems a case of horrible coordination of local divisions on EA's part. Oh, and EA games have only just gone up on Gamersgate for UK gamers as well, so perhaps its just a case of rolling them out for UK customers one by one? UK steam prices are cheaper than EU prices for most games so perhaps EA decided to use their (future) UK prices for the rest of Europe when rolling out the service to Gamer's Gate?

Well ok, looks like the usual clusterfuck of EA's digital download policy then :lol .

Axiom

The Path is well worth the $10 from the two chapters I've played, but it's not at all for the impatient.
It's pure exploration and atmosphere in terms of what you're doing and while not scary so far, it succeeds in being creepy and disturbing purely by implication and tricks of gameplay and colour.

Oh and the sound, the sound and art direction are just superb. I didn't want to buy the full version of The Graveyard just to see what death added to the equation, but by having more 'meat' and game elements, (meaningless as some might be in the end) it does a lot to help push you along and keep exploring without relying on time limits or enemies to keep you going.

The lack of active threats, but emphasis on dread and hesitation is a fine choice and it's something I wish more games that want to scare you would do. I'd love to play a Silent Hill game that didn't actually require me to put up with clunky combat and silly puzzles, but just did the shit that makes the series, and games like it, appealing to so many people who play it in spite of the gameplay.
I don't like every choice The Path made gameplay wise, such as limiting your speed at moments, but you tend to grasp why they did it and respect that it was a done to further the impact of a moment, and isn't there just because it's part of a preset horror game checklist.
I especially love the lack of enemies, as after a while bandaged men in straight jackets and scary cleavage nurses boil down to Goombas and Koopas in different skins. Designers break their own atmosphere by adhering to a requirement of enemy tiers or having enemies at all and I think this limits the appeal of horror games overall.

A horror movie doesn't make you to actively participate in the danger, but you fully participate in the suspense and dread, The Path requires you to do the latter, mostly succeeds even in my limited experience with it and it should be noted by any game designers looking to take a ball and scare the fuck out of as wide an audience as possible with it.

Oreoleo

brain_stew said:

THE FUTURE IS NOW! LONG LIVE X64!

Edit: Wow, those games are old. How does the gameplay hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom