• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
davonaytor said:
Ok guys, need a quick opinion.

I've got some left over money in my Paypal account, so I'm going to burn it on Steam.
At the moment I'm thinking of getting 2 out of these three games:

Deus Ex
Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
Shatter

I've never played any of them.

Which two should I get?
Choose based on which genre you like the most.

davonaytor said:
Ok guys, need a quick opinion.

I've got some left over money in my Paypal account, so I'm going to burn it on Steam.
At the moment I'm thinking of getting 2 out of these three games:

Deus Ex
Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
Shatter

I've never played any of them.

Which two should I get?
Deus Ex

It is a little long in the tooth but it is a classic.

Dynoro

Visualante said:
Why are they trying to charge 39.99 GBP for Bioshock 2 and Civ V?
Same reason they now charge 50GBP for Fuel (after the weekend sale at 2GBP)- because that's what the publisher wants to charge. Also one would assume demand is fairly inelastic for Bioshock 2 and Civ V at the moment so a drop in price wouldn't increase sales much if they changed it.

panda21

hmm mw2 actually doesnt look that good compared to the consoles :S its just all higher res textures and clean edges but that makes it look slightly plain.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Get Civ 4 guys, it's pretty fucking awesome. I have zero experience with turn-based strategy, but me and 4 of my L4D buddies went up against 5 AI last night and had a blast. I got destroyed by some barbarians though :(

I would have kept playing well past 3 in the morning if I hadn't been wiped out.

Volcynika

Red Scarlet said:
I hope I don't get the same dumb error with MW2 like last time, which made me re download the whole thing 2x.

Should've just downloaded it when it was preloadable like...Tuesday or something!

Blizzard

Banned
VAC ban questions:

http://home.novint.com/community/phorum/read.php?6,20118
According to that, modifying a .cfg file can get you VAC banned. I'm pretty sure that modifying DLLs or EXEs can get you VAC banned. Stuff running in memory (who knows what) can get you VAC banned.

VPK files can never modify DLLs, right?

Is there anything else you need to be careful not to modify? Valve says that chat programs like X-Fire are fine, but what about something like Mumble which presumably hooks into memory and pulls data in/out of L4D1/L4D2?

*edit*

Unrelated. I just installed the L4D2 mario VPK, and now L4D2 pops up a completing installation window, but then pops up and says that the installation is incomplete with (20) or now (10).

Also, I restarted Steam and got a message about my account being logged in somewhere. Has anyone ever got that? o_O;

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stallion Free said:
Get Civ 4 guys, it's pretty fucking awesome. I have zero experience with turn-based strategy, but me and 4 of my L4D buddies went up against 5 AI last night and had a blast. I got destroyed by some barbarians though :(

I would have kept playing well past 3 in the morning if I hadn't been wiped out.
Fine, I'll buy it. Steam is starting to feel like a goddamn tax for PC gamers.

:)

AcridMeat

Banned
Stallion Free said:

That sounds fantastic, though I need to be positive I'd have a group like that to play with.

Spy said:
Is there any games with gameplay similar to Age of Empires or Rise of Nations that are on Steam?

You might try the new Settlers game, or maybe Dawn of Discovery, both of those are a little less combat focused, though.

oh and whats with the lack of love for pb winterbottom? pretty solid braid-like fun!

i admit i had some good fun with deus ex back in the day but between that and a good newer game id have to go with newer. besides, it might be fun to hunt for an old busted copy of deus ex at garage sales for a buck.

I can't see to locate the Civilization3.ini file. I ran the game and all and checked in the game directory folder. I want to change the resolution. is it possible in the steam version?

Spy

LocoMrPollock said:
You might try the new Settlers game, or maybe Dawn of Discovery, both of those are a little less combat focused, though.
Those are actually the two I was looking at but from what I read they barely involve combat.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
DMPrince said:
I can't see to locate the Civilization3.ini file. I ran the game and all and checked in the game directory folder. I want to change the resolution. is it possible in the steam version?

Have you run the game at least once? that was the trick at least for me when playing Civ 3 retail edition.

DMPrince said:

I found the ini file, but there isn't an option for the resolution. I wanted to change it myself.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iii complete\Conquests

Just noticed you can prepurchase Rocket Knight right for $11.99

Rocket Knight Shipping with Steamworks - Pre-Purchase Now and Save 20%!!
Announcement

Pre-purchase Rocket Knight today and save 20%!

Get ready, as Sparkster makes his triumphant return in Rocket Knight, the newest chapter in the classic side-scrolling rocket action series!

Single-player
16 Steam Achievements
Steam Leaderboards
Steam Cloud
Controller enabled

Trouble

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
oh and whats with the lack of love for pb winterbottom? pretty solid braid-like fun!

i admit i had some good fun with deus ex back in the day but between that and a good newer game id have to go with newer. besides, it might be fun to hunt for an old busted copy of deus ex at garage sales for a buck.
I picked up P.B. Winterbottom when it came out and I really like it. Great art style. A steal at $5.

LocoMrPollock said:
I found the ini file, but there isn't an option for the resolution. I wanted to change it myself.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iii complete\Conquests
You can't choose an arbitrary resolution, but
Video Mode=1280
Can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792. Changes the game's resolution to the value specified (instead of the default 1024x768).
Only the following resolutions are supported with this command:
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024
1600x1200
1792x1344

You also might want KeepRes=1 from that post (and make sure it's "Video Mode" with a space, and not "VideoMode"). These go in your conquests.ini (just in case anyone else missed that), and are not there to begin with normally.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Got this in my inbox a short while ago. Natural Selection 2's Engine Test is now on Steam! Just seeing it in my list makes me warm inside.

Hey everyone!

The Natural Selection 2 Engine Test and Spark tools are now available on Steam!

If pre-ordered NS2, you will receive a special code shortly (if you haven't already) with instructions for unlocking it and downloading it through Steam. If you don't want to wait, you can retrieve your key manually (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve).

If you haven't yet pre-ordered (what ARE you waiting for?) you can still do so and activate NS2 on Steam now (http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy). You can play around with the tools, walk around a couple test levels and shoot some target dummies while you're waiting for the alpha.

We've also released an update today: we've activated the server browser, fixed restoring the graphics device when you alt-tab in and out of the game, shored up some visual differences between spot lights in the editor and the game, and added the preliminary documentation on the engine's scripting API.

Releasing on Steam is another big milestone for us, so we hope you're as excited about it as we are!

20% discount on RK pre-order is sweet!

BTW, anyone thinking of taking a dip on Konami's other release this week, Biozone? Looks like more old-school fun, but I'd like to hear some impressions first.

ETA: Googled it, and apparently it's a port of a mobile game.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I think its awesome how some people are finding out about the awesomeness of Civ 4 now. I was always interested when Civ III came out but never got a Civ game till 2 Christmas sales ago when i got Civ 4. I just graduated college, was waiting to go to basic for the Air Force and played the shit out of this game in the mean time, good times...

chixdiggit

DMPrince said:
Pre-purchase Rocket Knight today and save 20%!

Anyone have an idea of what kind of difficulty this game will have? I like a good platformer but can't stand the over the top, make precision jumps, while dodging a thousand objects, die a million times kind.

Salsa

mhh, tempting, but 20 percent isnt enough for me as i havent made my mind about the game yet. Not sure if i like the direction they went with it. Going to wait on some impressions.

Blizzard

Banned
So once I finally got over all my failures at attempting to make FUEL look better, I discovered that it can actually be pretty fun if you can get 2-3 friends together and make it through the hassles of GFWL to get started in the same place. You probably also want to use a Steam chatroom with voicechat, or Mumble or something, since the GFWL voice system is awful (mute your mic there). And when you're going 70 mph, you're paying attention to where you're going and the thunderstorms and lightning and deserts and trees and not noticing the jaggies as much.

It's not that great probably because it has several annoyances (GFWL, not a lot of variety in the landscape and race features, hard to get a party together). However, the weather effects and day/night cycles look cool, and when you do an online free race you can literally have like 4+ people together driving across like 5000 square miles of map with no loading. Occasionally people would disappear or drop out for a bit but it was actually surprisingly fairly robust, and you can definitely crash into the people you're driving with.

It's kind of like pokemon -- there are lots of little challenges and scenic points and liveries and stuff you can unlock if you want to do tons and tons of driving. I'm going to try to post some screenshots if any of them turned out, in the PC screenshots thread.

And hey, for less than $4, not bad at all. We'll probably do at least one more driving session, so drop me a Steam IM or something if you want to join. :)

*edit* Looks like ATI tray tools didn't take the screenshots like I was hoping. *cries* I lost a ton then.

panda21

hmm can you mod the mountain blade warband to look like the polished landscapes mod, or did they include all that anyway?

is it basically the same but with MP and slightly better graphics? is the SP update worthwhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom